Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trump's NYT Interview

3 posters

Go down

Trump's NYT Interview  Empty Trump's NYT Interview

Post by Turtleneck 2017-12-29, 20:42

Not really the gem that some of his past interviews have been, but still some parts worth noting.

I have absolute right to do what I want to do with the Justice Department

This is the comment that many people are talking about. Obviously it is legally false. This comment, like all of Trump's previous comments alluding to extraconstitutional action, is defended on the grounds of being mere words. However, as we increasingly accept extraconstitutional rhetoric, one wonders when that gives way to accepting extraconstitutional action. Trump talks about being the "only one that matters," or in this case doing as he pleases with the DOJ. We know hates being constrained by the rule of law. When Congress and 1/3 of the country are at ease with this talk, it certainly feeds his impulse to take associated action.

“I know the details of taxes better than anybody. Better than the greatest C.P.A. I know the details of health care better than most, better than most.” Later, he added that he knows more about “the big bills” debated in the Congress “than any president that’s ever been in office.”

You just have to laugh here. Trump is clueless about legislation and the legislative process.

Mr. Trump repeated his assertion that Democrats invented the Russia allegations “as a hoax, as a ruse, as an excuse for losing an election.” He said that “everybody knows” his associates did not collude with the Russians, even as he insisted that the “real stories” are about Democrats who worked with Russians during the 2016 campaign.

You agree to receive occasional updates and special offers for The New York Times's products and services.

“There’s been no collusion. But I think he’s going to be fair,” Mr. Trump said of Mr. Mueller.

So now Mueller is going to be fair! My guess is that Trump is realizing, or a least somebody told him, that the Mueller investigation needs to appear to be legitimate. In the event the investigation finds no wrongdoing by the Trump campaign, it will help that the investigation is seen as legitimate. Tearing the investigation down is a bad strategy when you believe there is nothing for the investigators to uncover.

Mr. Trump said it was “too bad” that Jeff Sessions, the attorney general, recused himself from overseeing the Russia investigation. Mr. Trump did not directly answer a question about whether he thought that Eric H. Holder Jr., President Barack Obama’s first attorney general, was more loyal than Mr. Sessions had been.

“I don’t want to get into loyalty, but I will tell you that, I will say this: Holder protected President Obama. Totally protected him,” Mr. Trump said. He added: “When you look at the things that they did, and Holder protected the president. And I have great respect for that, I’ll be honest.”

A subtle shot at Sessions.

Mr. Trump said he believes members of the news media will eventually cover him more favorably because they are profiting from the interest in his presidency and thus will want him re-elected. “Another reason that I’m going to win another four years is because newspapers, television, all forms of media will tank if I’m not there because without me, their ratings are going down the tubes,” Mr. Trump said, then invoked one of his preferred insults. “Without me, The New York Times will indeed be not the failing New York Times, but the failed New York Times.” He added: “So they basically have to let me win. And eventually, probably six months before the election, they’ll be loving me because they’re saying, ‘Please, please, don’t lose Donald Trump.’ O.K.”

Which is why they go soft on him as it is. He is great for ratings, listeners, views, and subscriptions. This is whey they spend 23823 days on a tweet rather than chasing real stories. Anyway, of course he is fine with bias as long as it is positive coverage. I think this is the comment that bothered me the most because it is true, and that does not reflect poorly on Trump as much as it does the media.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/28/us/politics/trump-interview-mueller-russia-china-north-korea.html
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Trump's NYT Interview  Empty Re: Trump's NYT Interview

Post by steveschneider 2017-12-30, 07:32

Washington Post fact checks the interview.

https://twitter.com/glennkesslerwp/status/946845350052188160

Trump makes 24 false or misleading claims. Also, I agree with a lot of your points but I disagree with the last one. I think a lot of journalists will be happy to see him go.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-12-30, 08:08

Wow. I never noticed that the mainstream media was one of the main reasons the racist, bigoted sexual predator won.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-12-30, 09:39

steveschneider wrote:Washington Post fact checks the interview.

Trump makes 24 false or misleading claims. Also, I agree with a lot of your points but I disagree with the last one. I think a lot of journalists will be happy to see him go.

Journalsits might be happy to see him go, but their corporate keepers do not mind him at all.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-12-30, 10:05

Turtleneck wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Washington Post fact checks the interview.

Journalsits might be happy to see him go, but their corporate keepers do not mind him at all.

Based on Leslie Moonves quote in 2016 there’s some truth to that.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2017-12-30, 11:16

Russia also transferred oil to North Korea. Will he talk tough on Russia as he does with China in this interview?

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1EN1OJ?__twitter_impression=true
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down