Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plumbing Advice

+3
NigelUno
The Pantry
Dendrobates
7 posters

Go down

Plumbing Advice Empty Plumbing Advice

Post by Dendrobates 2018-01-20, 14:44

So hubby and I are both severely lacking handyman skills. Our upstairs toilet had the float ball fall off. It’s not one of the menta ones, it’s all plastic that connects by this circular plastic ring that won’t stay attach even with the screw. So I turn off the water to the toilet so it will stop running. I sorta think I got the float ball attached and go to turn the water back on. Well... nothing happens. After some brief googling, it seems like my water valve is broken. Now what? Is it time to call a plumber? Anything more involved is way out of line in what we can do.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Plumbing Advice Empty Re: Plumbing Advice

Post by Guest 2018-01-20, 15:01

Dendrobates wrote:So hubby and I are both severely lacking handyman skills. Our upstairs toilet had the float ball fall off. It’s not one of the menta ones, it’s all plastic that connects by this circular plastic ring that won’t stay attach even with the screw. So I turn off the water to the toilet so it will stop running. I sorta think I got the float ball attached and go to turn the water back on. Well... nothing happens. After some brief googling, it seems like my water valve is broken. Now what? Is it time to call a plumber? Anything more involved is way out of line in what we can do.

That's weird. If your water valve is broken you'll probably have to turn the water off to the whole house, then change the valve out.

When you say "nothing happens" does it seem the valve is working when you turn it? If you have an easily reached whole house shut off you could try turning the water off, then open a couple taps to let pressure off on the lines, and try the valve again. But my guess is that you're at the call a plumber or Floyd stage.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-01-20, 15:12

Are you sure the handle to the valve isn't stripped?  Remove it and try turning the valve stem with pliers, or better yet vice grips.  Counter-clockwise, of course.  Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey Wink
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2018-01-20, 15:14

LooseGoose wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:So hubby and I are both severely lacking handyman skills. Our upstairs toilet had the float ball fall off. It’s not one of the menta ones, it’s all plastic that connects by this circular plastic ring that won’t stay attach even with the screw. So I turn off the water to the toilet so it will stop running. I sorta think I got the float ball attached and go to turn the water back on. Well... nothing happens. After some brief googling, it seems like my water valve is broken. Now what? Is it time to call a plumber? Anything more involved is way out of line in what we can do.

That's weird. If your water valve is broken you'll probably have to turn the water off to the whole house, then change the valve out.

When you say "nothing happens" does it seem the valve is working when you turn it? If you have an easily reached whole house shut off you could try turning the water off, then open a couple taps to let pressure off on the lines, and try the valve again. But my guess is that you're at the call a plumber or Floyd stage.

Nothing happens in that I don’t hear and see water filling up in the toilet. And nothing happens when I flush it. So I don’t think it came back on.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2018-01-20, 15:15

The Pantry wrote:Are you sure the handle to the valve isn't stripped?  Remove it and try turning the valve stem with pliers, or better yet vice grips.  Counter-clockwise, of course.  Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey Wink

I have no idea what you’re talking about. I am stupid as fuck when it comes to this shit. And husband isn’t any better.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-01-20, 15:21

Dendrobates wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Are you sure the handle to the valve isn't stripped?  Remove it and try turning the valve stem with pliers, or better yet vice grips.  Counter-clockwise, of course.  Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey Wink

I have no idea what you’re talking about. I am stupid as fuck when it comes to this shit. And husband isn’t any better.
When turning the valve handle counter-clockwise does it come to a stop where you can't turn it anymore?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2018-01-20, 15:37

The Pantry wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:

When turning the valve handle counter-clockwise does it come to a stop where you can't turn it anymore?

Yes it does
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-01-20, 15:58

Dendrobates wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

That's weird.   If your water valve is broken you'll probably have to turn the water off to the whole house, then change the valve out.

When you say "nothing happens" does it seem the valve is working when you turn it?   If you have an easily reached whole house shut off you could try turning the water off, then open a couple taps to let pressure off on the lines, and try the valve again.  But my guess is that you're at the call a plumber or Floyd stage.

Nothing happens in that I don’t hear and see water filling up in the toilet. And nothing happens when I flush it. So I don’t think it came back on.

I'm guessing water is not coming out of the little hose (inside the toilet) when you flush it?

Is it kind of making a hissing or somewhat loud noise?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-01-20, 16:03

Dendrobates wrote:
The Pantry wrote:When turning the valve handle counter-clockwise does it come to a stop where you can't turn it anymore?

Yes it does
Try closing the valve (clockwise) and opening it a few times.

How old is your dwelling?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-01-20, 16:10

Look at these videos. Other ones will pop up that might address your problem.

You might be able to fix it with a $2.75 part or a $15 total replacement...or you could call a plumber and he'll fix it for a little more.

Having an older toilet might complicate things a bit.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2018-01-20, 16:13

My guess is the valve that is broken is likely the toilet fill valve as opposed to the shut off valve. They are cheap and fairly easy to replace. Get this type:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fluidmaster-Universal-Toilet-Fill-Valve-400ARP25/100554467
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-01-20, 16:17

MSU addict wrote:My guess is the valve that is broken is likely the toilet fill valve as opposed to the shut off valve.  They are cheap and fairly easy to replace.  Get this type:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fluidmaster-Universal-Toilet-Fill-Valve-400ARP25/100554467

Had a problem with a toilet.  Went to buy the whole replacement thing, but just bought this:

Plumbing Advice Fluidmaster-gaskets-seals-wax-rings-242-c3_1000

$2.75

Voila!
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2018-01-20, 16:21

NigelUno wrote:
MSU addict wrote:My guess is the valve that is broken is likely the toilet fill valve as opposed to the shut off valve.  They are cheap and fairly easy to replace.  Get this type:

Had a problem with a toilet.  Went to buy the whole replacement thing, but just bought this:

Plumbing Advice Fluidmaster-gaskets-seals-wax-rings-242-c3_1000

$2.75

Voila!
Well sounds like she has a ball cock valve (where's goodbar). Just replace it. The whole assembly costs $6.50 - not worth multiple trips to home depot.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-01-20, 16:25

MSU addict wrote:My guess is the valve that is broken is likely the toilet fill valve as opposed to the shut off valve. They are cheap and fairly easy to replace. Get this type:

Possible it's the fill valve instead of the shutoff. Would have to disconnect the hose at the shutoff to determine. Dendro, can you or Nevets do that? If not, PM me for my phone number and I'll talk you through it
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-01-20, 16:29

The Pantry wrote:
MSU addict wrote:My guess is the valve that is broken is likely the toilet fill valve as opposed to the shut off valve. They are cheap and fairly easy to replace. Get this type:

Possible it's the fill valve instead of the shutoff. Would have to disconnect the hose at the shutoff to determine. Dendro, can you or Nevets do that? If not, PM me for my phone number and I'll talk you through it

Pantry with the 1980s bar move to get Dendro's #......;-)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2018-01-20, 16:34

LooseGoose wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Possible it's the fill valve instead of the shutoff. Would have to disconnect the hose at the shutoff to determine. Dendro, can you or Nevets do that? If not, PM me for my phone number and I'll talk you through it

Pantry with the 1980s bar move to get Dendro's #......;-)
I can hear it now... replacing this could get messy - so you might want to take off shirt, to be on the safe side maybe your pants too.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-01-20, 16:54

Pics of shut-off valve and inside the tank might help. I just replaced a sink and one of the shut-off valves took a shit. They only break when you use them. Given that you worked on the float you want to make sure it's somehow not in a closed position.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2018-01-20, 16:55

I did the turning of the valve back and forth earlier to see if it worked and it didn’t.

This is a combined problem. The cock and ball thing is kinda broken. But as I said, it’s not even a metal rod attached to the float ball, it’s all plastic with a circular ring that looks like it screws in. But the screw is plastic and maybe morphed. It’s the water valve that I’m more concerned about with fixing.

Side note... I’m so bad at this home fixing shit. But I was pretty damn proud of myself last year when I fixed the clogged toilet. Nothing worked, so I bought a snack. I drilled that shit through and cleared that toilet. I was pretty proud Plumbing Advice 502811600
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2018-01-20, 16:59

Pictures (of the problem) would help.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2018-01-20, 16:59

Plumbing Advice 77911410
Plumbing Advice D7f03110
Plumbing Advice 35743110

So it looks like the ball float should be screwed on like the top pic. But it’s not staying. And pic of valve if that helps at all.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-01-20, 17:03

Dendrobates wrote:I did the turning of the valve back and forth earlier to see if it worked and it didn’t.

This is a combined problem. The cock and ball thing is kinda broken. But as I said, it’s not even a metal rod attached to the float ball, it’s all plastic with a circular ring that looks like it screws in. But the screw is plastic and maybe morphed. It’s the water valve that I’m more concerned about with fixing.

Side note... I’m so bad at this home fixing shit. But I was pretty damn proud of myself last year when I fixed the clogged toilet. Nothing worked, so I bought a snack. I drilled that shit through and cleared that toilet. I was pretty proud Plumbing Advice 502811600

If your problem is the shut-off, you'll need to shut off the water to your house and run what water you can out of the lines. After that, you're looking at a plumber or friend who can solder...or Shark bite stuff is great DIY (in my opinion).
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2018-01-20, 17:26

First off, tell you husband to quit missing the toilet and peeing on the shutoff.

IMO, you have to replace the toilet fill valve.  It is broken - that ball is what floats up and shuts off the valve.  Replace that with the one I linked earlier.

If that does not solve the problem, call a plumber or a very handy friend/relative.

Replacing the fill valve is simple and it comes with instructions, you can also view it on youtube. The shut off valve, not so much especially if it is sweated (soldered) on. You can get into problems there.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-01-20, 17:48

MSU addict wrote:First off, tell you husband to quit missing the toilet and peeing on the shutoff.

IMO, you have to replace the toilet fill valve.  It is broken - that ball is what floats up and shuts off the valve.  Replace that with the one I linked earlier.

If that does not solve the problem, call a plumber or a very handy friend/relative.

Replacing the fill valve is simple and it comes with instructions, you can also view it on youtube. The shut off valve, not so much especially if it is sweated (soldered) on. You can get into problems there.

Agree. Fix the easy stuff first (you need to anyway). It's cheap and easy and you'll know for sure if you have a shut-off valve issue. I can buy toilet kits at my local gas station.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2018-01-20, 17:58

Someone needs to mention an upper decker.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2018-01-20, 18:31

Dendrobates wrote:Plumbing Advice 77911410
Plumbing Advice D7f03110
Plumbing Advice 35743110

So it looks like the ball float should be screwed on like the top pic. But it’s not staying. And pic of valve if that helps at all.

Turn valve off all the way. Loosen up fitting at top of valve, turn valve on a little bit at a time. If water comes out it's not the valve. Don't forget to retighten.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2018-01-20, 18:42

MSU addict wrote:First off, tell you husband to quit missing the toilet and peeing on the shutoff.

Ok, I guess I will just get a new kit and replace that. I think I could do that.
Actually it’s dirt/rust on the knob. Hubby is pretty good about cleaning his messes up! I always know it’s company every time they’re here, since I don’t usually have to clean that stuff.

The rest I will call a plumber. I’m not fucking with that.

Oh... and pull light in the furnace room cord broke. Hubby went to remove cover to see if he could rejoin it. Sparks everywhere, and kitchen/bathroom lights don’t work. Could be a fuse, but our box is old and nothing is labeled. Fuck me.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2018-01-20, 18:42

Addict is right. Replace the fill valve with the type he linked. Been a long time since I've seen a supply line hard-piped like in your pic so you'll need to replace that too. Remove the old line (bent tube) and take it with you to HD or Lowes and ask someone to assist you in picking out a proper length flexible line. I like the braided stainless steel ones because they don't kink if you have to loop it.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2018-01-20, 19:28

Dendrobates wrote:

Ok, I guess I will just get a new kit and replace that. I think I could do that.
Actually it’s dirt/rust on the knob. Hubby is pretty good about cleaning his messes up! I always know it’s company every time they’re here, since I don’t usually have to clean that stuff.

The rest I will call a plumber. I’m not fucking with that.

Oh... and pull light in the furnace room cord broke. Hubby went to remove cover to see if he could rejoin it. Sparks everywhere, and kitchen/bathroom lights don’t work. Could be a fuse, but our box is old and nothing is labeled. Fuck me.

That is not the fuse (the Sparks). Likely some barely connected wiring tripped the fuse. Open a new thread for that one or send me a pm.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down