Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michigan One of The Highest In School Threats

+19
xsanguine
Cameron
CORNER BLITZ
SawGreen
Rocinante
Floyd Robertson
WhiteBoyHatcher
Nordic
Other Teams Pursuing That
Da Mayor
tGreenWay
Heat Miser
I.B. Fine
MSU addict
DWags
Robert J Sakimano
Watch Out Pylon!
steveschneider
Dendrobates
23 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Michigan One of The Highest In School Threats Empty Michigan One of The Highest In School Threats

Post by Dendrobates 2018-03-23, 08:41

WTF is going on? Nothing like being in the top 5, in school threats in the country. There have been about 2 dozen school closings just yesterday from this shit.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/michigan-ranks-among-top-states-for-school-threats-after-parkland-high-school-shooting
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Michigan One of The Highest In School Threats Empty Re: Michigan One of The Highest In School Threats

Post by Dendrobates 2018-03-23, 08:47

Lets try not to wells this up. I think this could stay on the main board if we all cooperate.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Michigan One of The Highest In School Threats Empty Re: Michigan One of The Highest In School Threats

Post by steveschneider 2018-03-23, 08:50

There’s not much to say other than it’s some really depressing shit.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-03-23, 08:50

Behave Bob!
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-03-23, 08:51

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Behave Bob!
a) I haven't said anything.

b) nobody wants to hear the truth.

c) we all know that I know what the truth is.

d) you're welcome.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-23, 09:06

I've read about 5-6 arrests in the past few weeks for this. As long as they arrest them and imprison them then the threats won't escalate into shootings. That kind of action would have prevented many of the shootings over the past few years.

Heed the threats and take action. Pretty simple. No need for the Bin unless someone wants to advocate ignoring the threats.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2018-03-23, 09:10

LooseGoose wrote:I've read about 5-6 arrests in the past few weeks for this. As long as they arrest them and imprison them then the threats won't escalate into shootings. That kind of action would have prevented many of the shootings over the past few years.

Heed the threats and take action. Pretty simple. No need for the Bin unless someone wants to advocate ignoring the threats.

Oh I agree with them taking the threats seriously. But how to stop these kids from making the threats because they want a day off of school? They face 20 years in prison, yet that's not stopping them. Is it lack of parenting telling them to not be a fucking idiot? I can see this being some decent kids in a good home wanting a day off. And then you can see it being kids from a shitty home that have been abused and neglected.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-03-23, 09:21

LooseGoose wrote:I've read about 5-6 arrests in the past few weeks for this.   As long as they arrest them and imprison them then the threats won't escalate into shootings.   That kind of action would have prevented many of the shootings over the past few years.  

Heed the threats and take action.  Pretty simple.   No need for the Bin unless someone wants to advocate ignoring the threats.

Macomb's prosecuting attorney said in a public letter that there have been 17 arrests.  All will be prosecuted as terrorists.  My kids school was one of the threats.  The kids had gone to school before the parents were notified.   I think the wife texted her that if she wanted to come home she could.  I don't know. I'm a bad parent I guess cause I think it crossed my mind that I didn't want her there, but I also know 99.9 percent are bullshit.  So, anyway, we got lthe robo call that said "all is clear now" and I guess they arrested the kid.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2018-03-23, 09:24

Dendrobates wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:I've read about 5-6 arrests in the past few weeks for this. As long as they arrest them and imprison them then the threats won't escalate into shootings. That kind of action would have prevented many of the shootings over the past few years.

Oh I agree with them taking the threats seriously. But how to stop these kids from making the threats because they want a day off of school? They face 20 years in prison, yet that's not stopping them. Is it lack of parenting telling them to not be a fucking idiot? I can see this being some decent kids in a good home wanting a day off. And then you can see it being kids from a shitty home that have been abused and neglected.
Kids do stupid shit. They always have, they always will.

You have to take any such threats very seriously and take appropriate action. Facing 20 years for a stupid joke, well that says a lot about our society.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-23, 09:30

I'm not on board for 20 years.

I do think they should be institutionalized and given help.

Obviously something is awry if they're even making such threats.

My guess is the 6 months to a year would be adequate in most cases.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-03-23, 09:30

Here is a question:  We had a discussion at dinner last night, and I'm not trying to hijack this thread. MSU Addict brought it up about kids doing "stupid shit".  Besides these threats, how many of you have been somehow in someway touched by an opioid death from a person you know or a family you know?  

Don't need the tragic stories because they all are.  But I have a 21 year old, and a 17 year old, and both have had friends die from that.  So yeah, kids do stupid shit.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2018-03-23, 09:36

DWags wrote:Here is a question:  We had a discussion at dinner last night, and I'm not trying to hijack this thread. MSU Addict brought it up about kids doing "stupid shit".  Besides these threats, how many of you have been somehow in someway touched by an opioid death from a person you know or a family you know?  

Don't need the tragic stories because they all are.  But I have a 21 year old, and a 17 year old, and both have had friends die from that.  So yeah, kids do stupid shit.
It's been shown the reasoning part of the brain does not fully form until you're about 25. Kids often do not have the capacity to make what we would call logical decisions.
I had someone close, in his 20's, who was just a bit too reckless and trusting and it cost him his life. Trusted someone offering him a drug that he chose to consume, when things turned bad the cockroaches scurried rather than call 911
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2018-03-23, 09:41

I remember all the stupid shit we did when we were kids.  I am old and times were different - but if a kid today did some of the shit what we did, they would probably be facing life in a supermax.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-23, 09:45

DWags wrote:Here is a question:  We had a discussion at dinner last night, and I'm not trying to hijack this thread. MSU Addict brought it up about kids doing "stupid shit".  Besides these threats, how many of you have been somehow in someway touched by an opioid death from a person you know or a family you know?  

I didn't say anything here but we buried a nephew 18 months ago. Didn't take my Dad's death well and lasted less than 6 months. My sister is still struggling with it every day.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-03-23, 09:46

LooseGoose wrote:

I didn't say anything here but we buried a nephew 18 months ago.   Didn't take my Dad's death well and lasted less than 6 months.  My sister is still struggling with it every day.

Sorry Goose.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2018-03-23, 09:50

We need to be asking ourselves "why does this happen so much here & not in other developed countries?"
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-03-23, 09:50

LooseGoose wrote:

I didn't say anything here but we buried a nephew 18 months ago. Didn't take my Dad's death well and lasted less than 6 months. My sister is still struggling with it every day.
urgh.

god that sucks. Sorry to hear that.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-03-23, 09:51

Heat Miser wrote:We need to be asking ourselves "why does this happen so much here & not in other developed countries?"
Bobby Sak wrote:

a) I haven't said anything.

b) nobody wants to hear the truth.

c) we all know that I know what the truth is.

d) you're welcome.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-23, 09:53

DWags wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

I didn't say anything here but we buried a nephew 18 months ago.   Didn't take my Dad's death well and lasted less than 6 months.  My sister is still struggling with it every day.

Sorry Goose.

At the risk of Binning this it's one of my great irritations. Guns were used to murder 13,000 in the last year with statistics. Opioids killed 65,000. Guns get 100X the coverage and political capital. Probably because BigPharma is MUCH richer than the gun makers and the politicians and networks aren't going to cross them. Compare the number of commercials you see for various drugs versus Winchester or Remington?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2018-03-23, 09:54

Dendrobates wrote:

Our kids are just practical jokers.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-03-23, 09:54

LooseGoose wrote:
DWags wrote:

Sorry Goose.

At the risk of Binning this it's one of my great irritations. Guns were used to murder 13,000 in the last year with statistics. Opioids killed 65,000. Guns get 100X the coverage and political capital. Probably because BigPharma is MUCH richer than the gun makers and the politicians and networks aren't going to cross them. Compare the number of commercials you see for various drugs versus Winchester or Remington?

Are kids coming into a school setting and forcing other kids to OD on heroin? There's your answer.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-03-23, 09:56

LooseGoose wrote:

Very sorry to hear that.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-23, 10:00

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Are kids coming into a school setting and forcing other kids to OD on heroin? There's your answer.

You know what? School shooting deaths would be a tiny fraction of that 13,000. I'll bet that among that 65,000 opioid deaths you could find a similar fraction that were compelled by others to "try this". I guess it depends on how you want to define things.

As a country we spend enormous time arguing over how to save 100 while 10s of thousands die. That doesn't mean the 100 aren't important but it's not a rational way to apportion your time and effort.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-03-23, 10:05

LooseGoose wrote:
DWags wrote:

Sorry Goose.

at the risk of Binning it up even further, this isn't a good comparison or moral equivalent, dude - I suspect you know that.

Yes, the opioid thing is tragic... it's a crisis that needs to be addressed and addressed effectively. But kids are choosing to involve themselves in that crisis.

Kids simply going to school and getting mowed down by guns are simply choosing to go to school.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2018-03-23, 10:05

LooseGoose wrote:
DWags wrote:

Sorry Goose.

At the risk of Binning this it's one of my great irritations.   Guns were used to murder 13,000 in the last year with statistics.   Opioids killed 65,000.   Guns get 100X the coverage and political capital.  Probably because BigPharma is MUCH richer than the gun makers and the politicians and networks aren't going to cross them.   Compare the number of commercials you see for various drugs versus Winchester or Remington?
I think you unintentionally answered your own question.  By using two different terms - murder versus killed.

We don't seem to care much when a person plays a major role in their own demise as in a drug overdose.  We don't bat an eyelash when a drug dealer is murdered, they knew the risks.

Children murdered in a classroom - that we do and should give a shit about.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Da Mayor 2018-03-23, 10:19

LooseGoose wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

You know what? School shooting deaths would be a tiny fraction of that 13,000. I'll bet that among that 65,000 opioid deaths you could find a similar fraction that were compelled by others to "try this". I guess it depends on how you want to define things.

As a country we spend enormous time arguing over how to save 100 while 10s of thousands die. That doesn't mean the 100 aren't important but it's not a rational way to apportion your time and effort.

Classic deflection Michigan One of The Highest In School Threats 502811600
Da Mayor
Da Mayor
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-03-23, 10:24

LooseGoose wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

I think we have the resources to tackle both issues Goose. Care to try again?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-03-23, 10:25

Comparing people killing themselves with drugs to kids shot in classrooms. Merica baby.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-03-23, 10:26

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Kids simply going to school and getting mowed down by guns are simply choosing to go to school.

OK, after this I'll stfu.

Over the past 25 years the US has AVERAGED 10 deaths a year in school shootings. I'll bet the average citizen would think it MUCH higher because of the wall to wall coverage on the networks. More kids die walking or biking to school than do in school shootings. I'm sorry that introducing facts may stir even more emotion but we should at least look at them.

You're smart enough to know that's WAY down the list of how kids die. And you left out "mowed down by idiots using guns", you want to make it seem as if the guns are doing it all by themselves.

School shootings are not the new normal, despite statistics that stretch the truth

In print and on TV, Americans were bombarded with facts and figures suggesting that the problem of school shootings was out of control. We were informed, for example, that since 2013 there has been an average of one school shooting a week in the U.S., and 18 since the beginning of this year. While these statistics were not exactly lies or fake news, they involved stretching the definition of a school shooting well beyond the limits of most people’s imagination.

Since 1990, there have been 22 shootings at elementary and secondary schools in which two or more people were killed, not counting those perpetrators who committed suicide.

Over the past quarter-century, on average about 10 students are slain in school shootings annually.

Compare the school fatality rate with the more than 100 school-age children accidentally killed each year riding their bikes or walking to school.

Just in case you think these stats are from an idiot:

James Alan Fox is the Lipman Professor of Criminology, Law and Public Policy at Northeastern University, a member of USA TODAY's Board of Contributors and co-author of Extreme Killing: Understanding Serial and Mass Murder.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-03-23, 10:28

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:Kids simply going to school and getting mowed down by guns are simply choosing to go to school.

Over the past 25 years the US has AVERAGED 10 deaths a year in school shootings. I'll bet the average citizen would think it MUCH higher because of the wall to wall coverage on the networks. More kids die walking or biking to school than do in school shootings. I'm sorry that introducing facts may stir even more emotion but we should at least look at them.

You're smart enough to know that's WAY down the list of how kids die. And you left out "mowed down by idiots using guns", you want to make it seem as if the guns are doing it all by themselves.

School shootings are not the new normal, despite statistics that stretch the truth

In print and on TV, Americans were bombarded with facts and figures suggesting that the problem of school shootings was out of control. We were informed, for example, that since 2013 there has been an average of one school shooting a week in the U.S., and 18 since the beginning of this year. While these statistics were not exactly lies or fake news, they involved stretching the definition of a school shooting well beyond the limits of most people’s imagination.

Since 1990, there have been 22 shootings at elementary and secondary schools in which two or more people were killed, not counting those perpetrators who committed suicide.

Over the past quarter-century, on average about 10 students are slain in school shootings annually.

Compare the school fatality rate with the more than 100 school-age children accidentally killed each year riding their bikes or walking to school.

James Alan Fox is the Lipman Professor of Criminology, Law and Public Policy at Northeastern University, a member of USA TODAY's Board of Contributors and co-author of Extreme Killing: Understanding Serial and Mass Murder.

You're completely dismissing the mental trauma every single kid in said school suffers from a school shooting. Try again.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-03-23, 10:28

LooseGoose wrote:

no, man, you don't need to stfu - I was just pointing out that it seems like a false equivalency.

that's all, dude. Michigan One of The Highest In School Threats 969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2018-03-23, 10:32

The opioid situation extends far beyond teenagers, it's a tougher problem to get a handle on, yet the annual death rate rises every year. For context, 55,000 US soldiers died in the entire Viet Nam and rightly have a moving memorial in DC. We are at 65,000 a year and rising for opioids with only an occasional mention in the news.
Don't kid yourself, many of those should be classified as murder, that's the case in the story I related above. Kid thought he's just going to party and not realize what he was sold/given was pure poison, but it's written off as just another druggy dead.
School shootings are horrible, one is too many, schools are supposed to be safe places, but the idea of passing another gun law, while it may feel good and makes a nice headline, won't even begin to address the underlying problems, many of which overlap with the opioid situation, but those problems are hard and don't make great headlines/sound bites.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-03-23, 10:33

I just think why do we have to believe it's one or the other.  Seems we need to direct our energy to both.   Mostly because like Addict says, kids do stupid things.   And yes, it will cost money and time.   But it's pretty important in my mind.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-03-23, 10:34

I.B. Fine wrote:The opioid situation extends far beyond teenagers, it's a tougher problem to get a handle on, yet the annual death rate rises every year. For context, 55,000 US soldiers died in the entire Viet Nam and rightly have a moving memorial in DC. We are at 65,000 a year and rising for opioids with only an occasional mention in the news.
Don't kid yourself, many of those should be classified as murder, that's the case in the story I related above. Kid thought he's just going to party and not realize what he was sold/given was pure poison, but it's written off as just another druggy dead.
School shootings are horrible, one is too many, schools are supposed to be safe places, but the idea of passing another gun law, while it may feel good and makes a nice headline, won't even begin to address the underlying problems, many of which overlap with the opioid situation, but those problems are hard and don't make great headlines/sound bites.

Yeah, but this thread isn't about the opioid situation at all. So...
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-03-23, 10:34

DWags wrote:I just think why do we have to believe it's one or the other.  Seems we need to direct our energy to both.   Mostly because like Addict says, kids do stupid things.   And yes, it will cost money and time.   But it's pretty important in my mind.
leaders/politicians aren't interested in doing anything about the opioid crisis because there's no money to be made in it.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2018-03-23, 10:36

A couple days ago my wife mentioned you can get a Kevlar insert for your kids backpack. I seriously might get 2.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2018-03-23, 10:36

DWags wrote:I just think why do we have to believe it's one or the other.  Seems we need to direct our energy to both.   Mostly because like Addict says, kids do stupid things.   And yes, it will cost money and time.   But it's pretty important in my mind.
Wags, I am just jaded, seems we spend way to much time worrying about which pronouns are 'safe' to use, while lives fall through the cracks.

Bob, you're close, saving druggies doesn't get votes.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-03-23, 10:38

I.B. Fine wrote:
Wags, I am just jaded, seems we spend way to much time worrying about which pronouns are 'safe' to use, while lives fall through the cracks.

I'm smarter than I look.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-03-23, 10:41

Nordic wrote:A couple days ago my wife mentioned you can get a Kevlar insert for your kids backpack. I seriously might get 2.
we could just get Kevlar bubble-wrap for our little bundles of joy.. spend an extra 10 minutes every morning wrapping them in it.. then we can drop them off at the intersection of Algebra and Guns.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-03-23, 10:45

I.B. Fine wrote:

True.   and bob is right.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next