Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michigan One of The Highest In School Threats

+19
xsanguine
Cameron
CORNER BLITZ
SawGreen
Rocinante
Floyd Robertson
WhiteBoyHatcher
Nordic
Other Teams Pursuing That
Da Mayor
tGreenWay
Heat Miser
I.B. Fine
MSU addict
DWags
Robert J Sakimano
Watch Out Pylon!
steveschneider
Dendrobates
23 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Michigan One of The Highest In School Threats - Page 3 Empty Re: Michigan One of The Highest In School Threats

Post by SawGreen Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:30 pm

Cameron wrote:

When you look at the perpetrators, I believe there are only two significant factors: 1) mental illness, and 2) access to firearms.

If you want to blame video games, you also need to blame music, tv, movies, and pretty much every other form of entertainment. That is not a tenable position.

No music, movies or other form of entertainment even sniffs video games jock on violence and fantasy.  With them, you are a spectator, not a participant.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Michigan One of The Highest In School Threats - Page 3 Empty Re: Michigan One of The Highest In School Threats

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:35 pm

Cameron wrote:
SawGreen wrote:

Q: Do you play video games? Do you have any first hand experience?

A: Not much anymore, but I have.  Doom was awesome.  Do you own guns?  I don't want to kill because I own them... because I'm talking about me.

Q: Hell, do you have any studies you can point to that demonstrate that video games contribute to real world violence?

A: En masse, of course not.  What's the ratio of "they do contribute" do you need?  We are talking about a minuscule to extremely finite minority of people with mental issues.  Here is what I do think.  Nascar drivers train on video games, as do NFL players, soccer players, etc.  For those predisposed or on the fringe, I earnestly believe that video games can contribute if for nothing else than fantasy and "practice".

None of my comments are an "attack" on society (or gamers).  I do think morality has declined, I do think intestinal fortitude (on the average) has declined. But, even if neither is true, when you look at the perpetrators, I listed things that I believe are contributing factors.  

When you look at the perpetrators, I believe there are only two significant factors: 1) mental illness, and 2) access to firearms.

If you want to blame video games, you also need to blame music, tv, movies, and pretty much every other form of entertainment. That is not a tenable position.
Cam he hasn’t looked at the perpetrators just an idea of what the perpetrators are that someone fed him.

Saw green here’s a start. But by no means the end. You should google more before commenting then come back and talk. Seriously. You’re bringing a handgun to an ar 15 fight with the amount you’ve actually looked into any of this and are just basing it on your own feelings.

https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/features/video-games-school-shootings-w516863
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:36 pm

SawGreen wrote:
Cameron wrote:

No music, movies or other form of entertainment even sniffs video games jock on violence and fantasy.  With them, you are a spectator, not a participant.

Michigan One of The Highest In School Threats - Page 3 502811600

Okay, buddy, grind that axe. You come across as incredibly uninformed in doing so, but that's your prerogative.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:39 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Cam he hasn’t looked at the perpetrators just an idea of what the perpetrators are that someone fed him.

Saw green here’s a start. But by no means the end. You should google more before commenting then come back and talk. Seriously. You’re bringing a handgun to an ar 15 fight with the amount you’ve actually looked into any of this and are just basing it on your own feelings.

https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/features/video-games-school-shootings-w516863

Yeah, I have a pretty good idea about how much research he's done on the matter (zero). He has a gut feeling, and he doesn't care to know whether or not it's supported by facts. He's as informed as Trump on this.

Since you're not a mod anymore, that last comment won't get this moved to tBin, right?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:41 pm

Cameron wrote:

Yeah, I have a pretty good idea about how much research he's done on the matter (zero). He has a gut feeling, and he doesn't care to know whether or not it's supported by facts. He's as informed as Trump on this.

Since you're not a mod anymore, that last comment won't get this moved to tBin, right?
I’m not a mod anymore say what you want.

Look, logically it makes sense. “Video games are violent and it makes these people violent.” It follows. The problem is that this isn’t a new problem, people have looked into it and the answer is oh. Wait. No that’s not true even though in my head I think it is.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:43 pm

SawGreen wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Movies aren't as violent as video games? Have you never heard of Quinten Tarantino? Or Saw movie? Or those shitty Hostel movies?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:46 pm

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
SawGreen wrote:

Movies aren't as violent as video games? Have you never heard of Quinten Tarantino? Or Saw movie? Or those shitty Hostel movies?

How can that be? You mean that the HollyWood stars preaching against gun violence got rich off it? Well golly gee, out here in the sticks we'd call them people hypocrites.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:49 pm

Michigan One of The Highest In School Threats - Page 3 LFRqB11
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:49 pm

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
SawGreen wrote:

Not when you are the perpetrator of violence vs. the spectator.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:52 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

How can that be?   You mean that the HollyWood stars preaching against gun violence got rich off it?   Well golly gee, out here in the sticks we'd call them people hypocrites.
Except again, despite your precious fe fes, it has nothing to do with the problem.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:55 pm

SawGreen wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Not when you are the perpetrator of violence vs. the spectator.

And I'm sure you have some scientific basis for asserting that that difference is significant and impactful, right? It's certainly not just something you think is true based on intuition, right? Assuming that one's intuitions are infallible is the height of hubris, so of course you'd never do that...
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:58 pm

#GBW4L
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:03 pm

LooseGoose wrote:

How can that be?   You mean that the HollyWood stars preaching against gun violence got rich off it?   Well golly gee, out here in the sticks we'd call them people hypocrites.
Except again, despite your precious fe fes, it has nothing to do with the problem.

As usual for a discussion with you nothing does unless you approve the observation.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:09 pm

LooseGoose wrote:

As usual for a discussion with you nothing does unless you approve the observation.
I mean there’s like a whole pile of evidence that those movies they make don’t have anything to do with gun violence but blame me for pointing that out to you. I’m sure hotair.aol.com tells you otherwise.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:15 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

How can that be? You mean that the HollyWood stars preaching against gun violence got rich off it? Well golly gee, out here in the sticks we'd call them people hypocrites.

This is a really fucking dumb take.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:17 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I’m sure hotair.aol.com tells you otherwise.
Because I'm so damned dumb that I need that unlike you original thinkers.

Typical snotty ass insult from you.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:19 pm

LooseGoose wrote:

I mean you deleted the part about how you were entirely wrong so that’s cool
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:23 pm

LooseGoose wrote:

Because there's no reason to argue with you. I've got better things to do like pick at the boil on my ass.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:26 pm

LooseGoose wrote:

You equate fantasy with reality. Yes, that is very dumb.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:26 pm

LooseGoose wrote:

Because there's no reason to argue with you.   I've got better things to do like pick at the boil on my ass.
Lol k
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:34 pm

See Goose, while i don't agree with SawGreen i can respect his position because there is some logical thinking behind it. When you say something silly like "Hollywood are hypocrites because they make movies with guns in them" makes me think all you do is read memes from your favorite alt-right website and regurgitate them here. All I'm asking is for you to step your game up.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:51 pm

LooseGoose wrote: I've got better things to do like pick at the boil on my ass.

pics?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:57 pm

When I was in high school we had like 5 bomb threats....all called in by kids being "funny" trying to skip tests. At that time, 1992-1995 it was funny and never a big deal. Shocked
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:00 pm

Nothing like a good ol' bomb threat to get you out of school.

I wish they happened more at work.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:09 pm

My friends older brother (was a Sr when we were Fr) called in a bomb threat to the office from the payphone outside the office. He got expelled. He was Yugoslavian/Albanian if that helps.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:29 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:My friends older brother (was a Sr when we were Fr) called in a bomb threat to the office from the payphone outside the office. He got expelled. He was Yugoslavian/Albanian if that helps.
Albanian?

Michigan One of The Highest In School Threats - Page 3 Latest?cb=20100804214739
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:23 am

School shootings are extraordinarily rare. Why is fear of them driving policy?

The Education Department reports that roughly 50 million children attend public schools for roughly 180 days per year. Since Columbine, approximately 200 public school students have been shot to death while school was in session, including the recent slaughter at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla. (and a shooting in Birmingham, Ala., on Wednesday that police called accidental that left one student dead). That means the statistical likelihood of any given public school student being killed by a gun, in school, on any given day since 1999 was roughly 1 in 614,000,000. And since the 1990s, shootings at schools have been getting less common.

The chance of a child being shot and killed in a public school is extraordinarily low. Not zero — no risk is. But it’s far lower than many people assume, especially in the glare of heart-wrenching news coverage after an event like Parkland. And it’s far lower than almost any other mortality risk a kid faces, including traveling to and from school, catching a potentially deadly disease while in school or suffering a life-threatening injury playing interscholastic sports.

We sometimes seek protection from our fears in ways that put us in greater peril. In responding to the Parkland shooting, we may be doing just that to our kids.

Statistics seem cold and irrelevant compared with how the evil of a school shooting makes us feel. The victims are children, and research on the psychology of risk has found that few risks worry us more than threats to kids. Parents who send their precious children to school each morning are relinquishing control over their safety; that same research has found that lack of control makes any risk feel more threatening.

Just as surely as there will be another school shooting, it will prompt another flood of outrage and fear. That fear, while understandable, will distract us from greater threats and lead to behaviors that do greater harm. The real lesson we need to learn is this: We need not just reasonable gun control, but also a bit more self-control over our emotions and instincts if we want to keep ourselves and our kids safer.

David Ropeik is an instructor at Harvard and author of "How Risky Is It, Really? Why Our Fears Don’t Always Match the Facts."
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:31 am

There you go again, bringing rationality to an emotional debate.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:06 am

Why did you argue for putting guns in classrooms if the problem is that there really isn’t a problem and people should just shut up and be ok with it is it because you get led around by your nose and are actually a huge cuck or no
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:10 am

Michigan One of The Highest In School Threats - Page 3 502811600
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:24 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Why did you argue for putting guns in classrooms if the problem is that there really isn’t a problem and people should just shut up and be ok with it is it because you get led around by your nose and are actually a huge cuck or no

Why? Because I think arming a few more people is a better solution than causing a civil war by trying to disarm many people.

Now feel free to carry on with your jackassery.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:25 am

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Michigan One of The Highest In School Threats - Page 3 502811600

And of course you'd laugh at such weak sauce.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:28 am

LooseGoose wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Why did you argue for putting guns in classrooms if the problem is that there really isn’t a problem and people should just shut up and be ok with it is it because you get led around by your nose and are actually a huge cuck or no

Why?  Because I think arming a few more people is a better solution than causing a civil war by trying to disarm many people.

Solution? I thought the most recent update is that there is no problem. Stop trying to fix issues that don’t exist goose!!!
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:30 am

Look man I’m just saying you’re going to have to pick. You don’t get to play the “burying my head in the sand” card and the “more guns will fix the problem” card at the same time. It’s one or the other. You pick.

beta cuck.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:56 am

lol, as if you make rules for me.

The problem is overblown by the media but that's what they do.

I can certainly hold those two positions. I'm sorry that it's too complicated for you to comprehend.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:07 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Michigan One of The Highest In School Threats - Page 3 502811600

And of course you'd laugh at such weak sauce.

When you realize there is no use arguing over this shit you'll feel a little better. No one is taking away anyone's guns. There will never ever ever be a civil war over guns. That's just a stupid internet tough guy meme. What happened to your love that neighbor shtick? That didn't last very long.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:08 pm

I mean there are no rules you are welcome to think at the same time that there is no problem and that you have the solution to a nonexistent problem but the issue with thinking both of those things is that it makes you sound like a complete idiot so
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:09 pm

LooseGoose wrote:lol, as if you make rules for me.

The problem is overblown by the media but that's what they do.

I can certainly hold those two positions. I'm sorry that it's too complicated for you to comprehend.

Trump loves you.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:28 pm

LooseGoose wrote:

Why? Because I think arming a few more people is a better solution than causing a civil war by trying to disarm many people.

A civil war, eh?

Is that why you backtracked on your bump stock ban? You want to avoid a civil war?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:50 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote: is it because you get led around by your noseo

This is why it's useless to debate anything with you. In your opinion I'm too stupid to form an independent opinion and am getting led around by the nose. That's laughable in light of the parroting of the same incorrect "facts" we hear from your side of the debate.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next