There are some new allegations

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Re: There are some new allegations

Post by SawGreen on Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:57 am

NigelUno wrote:Response to a lawsuit is "retaliation"?

Has it always been this way, or am I just too defensive?

I saw that right off and went into immediate WTF mode. This is a lawyer talking... well, scratch that last remark.
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:10 pm

Lol what a shit show.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:16 pm

steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:35 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Just goes to show you we should all probably just shut up and take a step back, reconcile it when it's over. We don't really know jack shit, neither does the media, and neither do MSU's attorneys apparently.

Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:41 pm

For the most part I like what Engler has done. But for the love of God:

A) Stop cutting people off, you look like a bully. The exact opposite of what you want to look like right now.
b) Stop (directly) calling out the media (see first paragraph from the release early this week). There are more tactful ways to get your point across.

He's obviously getting frustrated. But you can't tilt. STFU. Take the abuse. It's coming whether you like/deserve it or not. Do your job and let you actions speak.
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:49 pm

Nordic wrote:

A) Stop cutting people off, you look like a bully. The exact opposite of what you want to look like right now.
b) Stop (directly) calling out the media (see first paragraph from the release early this week). There are more tactful ways to get your point across.

He's obviously getting frustrated. But you can't tilt.
While I agree it is not a good look currently -

Almost all public meetings that have a public comment section have a time limit for each speaker.  The reality is that you have to have them and that you have to enforce them.  There are ways to speak longer if need be - such as a scheduled presentation.
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:53 pm

MSU addict wrote:
Nordic wrote:

He's obviously getting frustrated. But you can't tilt.

Almost all public meetings that have a public comment section have a time limit for each speaker.  The reality is that you have to have them and that you have to enforce them.  There are ways to speak longer if need be - such as a scheduled presentation.

I get it. It is a small clip from a longer speech/meeting. Probably have had dozens of these where he hasn't reacted. Bottomline he (the person in power) can never react like that.  Get a moderator... Let it go over.... Stay an hour later... Two hours later... Three hours later... too fucking bad.
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict on Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:00 pm

Nordic wrote:
MSU addict wrote:

I get it. It is a small clip from a longer speech/meeting. Probably have had dozens of these where he hasn't reacted. Bottomline he (the person in power) can never react that.  Get a moderator... Let it go over.... Stay an hour later... too fucking bad.
It really can't be done - I am sure they are not concerned with an extra hour, but rather extra days.  It would potentially be similar to the week long victims impact statements from Nassar's trial at every single meeting.  And not just about this issue, but conceivably every possible issue.  

You can't censor the content, but time limits are a necessarily evil.  And you can't pick and choose who gets to speak longer because again, that becomes a censorship issue.

FWIW, you can see the timer in the background. It usually gets ugly at public meetings when people get cut off. They often want it to get ugly. They know how long before hand they get to speak.

Last edited by MSU addict on Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:02 pm

why are they all sideways?
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:02 pm

Nordic wrote:

He's obviously getting frustrated. But you can't tilt. STFU. Take the abuse. It's coming whether you like/deserve it or not. Do your job and let you actions speak.

Agree with all your points.

My .02 Engler's instinct is to go on the attack. I loved it when he did it to ESPN, they were dishing it out and he dished it right back.

I know Couch, Solari, Windsor, reporters from local affiliates etc. have a very low approval ratings among the MSU fan base but going on the offensive with them just looks bad.
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:10 pm

while I have generally appreciate Engler, what he's done and how he's handled these insane times at MSU, given the current climate, he'd be well-advised to just allow these young ladies to speak.

so.. why are they all sideways?
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:14 pm

the Lansing State Urinal is trying to cash in with some clicks..

current headline "Nassar Survivor: Engler Offered $250,000 During Meeting" - accompanied by this really menacing photo of Gov. Engler.
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway on Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:38 pm

EAST LANSING - A survivor of abuse at the hands of former Michigan State University doctor Larry Nassar said Friday that interim President John Engler offered her $250,000 during a sit-down meeting where they discussed what the university has done in the wake of the Nassar scandal.

Kaylee Lorincz, who spoke during public comment at Friday’s MSU Board of Trustees meeting, said she asked for a meeting with Engler two weeks ago, hoping to share her story, that she thought it would help MSU heal.

After explaining what MSU has done in recent weeks, Engler told Lorincz and her mother, Lisa, that cooperation between survivors and the university couldn’t occur until settlements in the civil litigation were reached.

That’s when Engler offered her $250,000, Lorincz said during her public comment at a meeting of MSU's Board of Trustees.

"Mr. Engler then looked directly at me and asked, 'Right now, if I wrote you a check for $250,000 would you take it?'" Lorincz said. "When I explained that it’s not about the money for me and that I just want to help, he said, 'Well give me a number.' He also said that he had met with Rachael Denhollander and that she gave him a number."

Lorincz said she later spoke with Denhollander, the first woman to publicly accuse Nassar of sexual abuse, and was told that she hadn't given Engler a number, nor met with him.

Lorincz said she felt she was being bullied into something and without her lawyer present.

It was at that point, Lorincz said, that Carol Viventi, vice president and special counsel to the president, stepped in to say the civil litigation was about money.

Lorincz referred to Viventi as Engler's attorney during her comment. That prompted Engler to respond that Viventi isn't his attorney.

He did not formally respond to Lorincz's statement following her comment. When he attempted to have her step away from the podium after her three minutes were up, protest erupted inside the meeting room.

Chants of "Let her speak" rang out from a crowd of more than two dozen student activists and parents of Nassar survivors. Protestors also supported Lisa Lorincz when she spoke prior to her daughter.

In a conversation with Lisa Lorincz on Friday morning, MSU spokesperson Emily Guerrant, who was in the meeting with Engler, said her interpretation had been that Engler wasn't offering a settlement, but engaging in a “philosophical discussion” about what amount would be appropriate.

Guerrant said Engler would not be available to media for comment immediately following the meeting but promised that MSU's communications office would respond to emailed questions later today.

Engler addressed the Jane Doe lawsuit at the MSU Board of Trustees meeting

Engler said during the Board of Trustees meeting Friday morning that mediation with the people who have filed civil suits against MSU over abuse by Nassar would begin again on April 25 and 26.

"Enough is enough. I just want to see a just and equitable settlement where we do right by our courageous survivors," Trustee Brian Mosallam said in a statement sent out over Twitter on Friday morning.

Engler, speaking to a committee of the state legislature in March, said he hoped the lawsuits would be settled by the end of the semester. MSU's spring semester ends May 5.

In a press release, Manly, Stewart & Finaldi, the law firm representing Lorincz in a civil suit against MSU, noted that the $250,000 Lorincz said Engler offered her "was less than 10% of the average amount that Penn State University paid to the male victims of Jerry Sandusky."

Check back for updates.
Well I can't click back for updates, because I out of freebies this month on the LSJ.

But if you believe Kaylee Lorincz, then not did Engler offer a negotiate a settlement with her but he lied to her about having talked to Rachel Denhollander.
I'm sure there will be another press release soon, explaining that it wasn't an offer and that this is not how he (or anyone else on the BOT or in the meeting) remembers it.

Seriously, these things will not be won in the media, or on twitter. What a shitshow all around.
FWIW - I wasn't really aware of the last weeks worth of stuff, due to being busy. But I heard it being discussed on talk radio coming back to work this afternoon.

adding this - it isn't just the LSJ, this story is now going wider, I give it an hour max before it is on national sites
https://www.wxyz.com/news/nassar-survivor-alleges-secret-250k-payoff-attempt-by-msu-interim-president-engler

- the Swill
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:42 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:while I have generally appreciate Engler, what he's done and how he's handled these insane times at MSU, given the current climate, he'd be well-advised to just allow these young ladies to speak.

I’d not only let them speak, I’d invite them weekly in prime news time, daily. Talk till they drop. Name a day after each family, give all members transport there. Put them up. Tell their story.

Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:47 pm

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:while I have generally appreciate Engler, what he's done and how he's handled these insane times at MSU, given the current climate, he'd be well-advised to just allow these young ladies to speak.

I’d not only let them speak, I’d invite them weekly in prime news time, daily. Talk till they drop. Name a day after each family, give all members transport there. Put them up. Tell their story.
yep.

I don't do PR for a living.. I know nothing about PR.. but it's not good optics to interrupt survivors of sexual assault and basically say "okay, thanks - you're done, have a good weekend.. NEXT".

Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:03 pm

I.B. Fine wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

This is the correct course of action unless you are somehow involved with all of this.
So, let me see if I've got this right, Pylon agrees completely with Pylon? scratch

My pink taco hat homie!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:17 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:

yep.

I don't do PR for a living.. I know nothing about PR.. but it's not good optics to interrupt survivors of sexual assault and basically say "okay, thanks - you're done, have a good weekend.. NEXT".

Gotta keep these meetings on schedule.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:18 pm

MSU addict wrote:
Nordic wrote:

I get it. It is a small clip from a longer speech/meeting. Probably have had dozens of these where he hasn't reacted. Bottomline he (the person in power) can never react that.  Get a moderator... Let it go over.... Stay an hour later... too fucking bad.
It really can't be done - I am sure they are not concerned with an extra hour, but rather extra days.  It would potentially be similar to the week long victims impact statements from Nassar's trial at every single meeting.  And not just about this issue, but conceivably every possible issue.  

You can't censor the content, but time limits are a necessarily evil.  And you can't pick and choose who gets to speak longer because again, that becomes a censorship issue.

FWIW, you can see the timer in the background.  It usually gets ugly at public meetings when people get cut off.  They often want it to get ugly.  They know how long before hand they get to speak.  

Bullshit. This is the biggest sexual assault case IN HISTORY. Make no mistake about that last part. It is. You make time. I dont care if you sit in a locked board meeting for a month (which we all know won't happen).

I just heard the audio preceding this and it makes him trying to cut her off x100 worse. He was clearly trying to "censor content".
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:21 pm

What's the going rate on going in the in-hole vs. going in the out-hole?
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:48 pm

So... yeah.  

Maybe it's just her word against his, but I am inclined to believe her based on what I know of the man.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:57 pm

MSU can go straight to hell as far as I'm concerned.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:00 pm

Just let them speak. Sit down quietly and listen. Let them use as much time as they need. cathartic for them, cathartic for the families, cathartic for those students who believe MSU is a cess pool of rape and cover up. I'm with Bob, I really don't know much about PR stuff, but I do know that when you give the media who hates you an opportunity to fry you, they won't turn it down. they'll double it and try to shove it up your ass. If you let Solari get scooped by Harns, they'll tweet every negative article they find of MSU over and over. And when you try to cut a girl who looks like she's 15 off who has had that animals digits in places where most of us could kill him with our bare hands, it's a real bad bad look, and as Nordic says, sound.

Anyone want to bet me the sound is on television tonight? I'll go 20 for Goose to throw on a worthless baseball parlay this weekend we hear the Engler sound of him cutting the girl off over and over and over again. That he was following the rules isn't of consequence here. Those rules shouldn't have been made.

Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:23 pm

DWags wrote:Just let them speak. Sit down quietly and listen. Let them use as much time as they need. cathartic for them, cathartic for the families, cathartic for those students who believe MSU is a cess pool of rape and cover up. I'm with Bob, I really don't know much about PR stuff, but I do know that when you give the media who hates you an opportunity to fry you, they won't turn it down. they'll double it and try to shove it up your ass. If you let Solari get scooped by Harns, they'll tweet every negative article they find of MSU over and over. And when you try to cut a girl who looks like she's 15 off who has had that animals digits in places where most of us could kill him with our bare hands, it's a real bad bad look, and as Nordic says, sound.

Anyone want to bet me the sound is on television tonight? I'll go 20 for Goose to throw on a worthless baseball parlay this weekend we hear the Engler sound of him cutting the girl off over and over and over again. That he was following the rules isn't of consequence here. Those rules shouldn't have been made.

Everyone that's attended a public meeting to speak would have operated under those rules so people should be familiar with them - but that won't make a difference.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:25 pm

One last thing, my daughter is thriving on our campus. It is not a campus that has rapes and cover ups, it's a great fucking campus. It has great students there who are doing unbelievable things. It has professors who care about research and learning and who do so with a purpose. The night life there is fun, and my daughter goes to the parties, with friends, enjoys herself like millions of us did and will continue to do.

Its a great fucking place. Take the sports away, it's still a great fucking place.

We have problems. We have had a monster that slipped through the cracks that has now ursurped anything good that is happening and will happen on that campus. I go to Tennessee to my buddies place in March, meet guys I have never met before and they fucking ask me how I could send my daughter there. Besides wanting to tell them to shut the fuck up, I took a deep breath. They're pretty cool guys, they asked out of concern. Know why? Cause MSU is being fucking murdered in the press. Lavigne, Murphy, Couch, and a bunch I don't know are on them. Wake up turn CNN on two days ago, they have the Lawyers law suit on. Did they have MSU's response the next day? Fuck no.

Our university is fucked guys. we've got this reputation nationally for at least the remainder of my life, and maybe even some of you young bucks. So, fuck it. Let these victims speak. Take our medicine, do what we can to help them. But I know for a damn fact what that campus is really like and what the school is like regardless of bullshit sports. Who really cares? It sucks that it's like that. But it is what it is. We have problems, not that many problems.

Anyway, there's my rant. OTPT or Travis or whomever can be smarmy now, but fuck it. I'm tired of this shit. So, whatever.

Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:29 pm

Rocinante wrote:So... yeah.  

Maybe it's just her word against his, but I am inclined to believe her based on what I know of the man.

I believe her too. I don't think Engler should have asked her. I think he was ham handed. But I have no doubt that he discussed money with her. After all at this point that's what this is about - how big is the settlement going to be?

They've all yelled at Nassar. And deservedly so.

They've yelled at MSU. And deservedly so.

Changes are happening, the next step is to settle the $$ and move on together.

As long as the $$ is hanging out there MSU is forced to step very carefully on what they can do WITH these women.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:31 pm

Yeah I think we all said it a week ago and probably every week before that.....that settlement can't happen soon enough.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:35 pm

Oh, when anyone says "it's not about the money"........

Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly on Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:38 pm

Engler can fucking go.
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:44 pm

And because it's not "about the money" the law firm representing this young lady just released this:

In a press release, Manly, Stewart & Finaldi, the law firm representing Lorincz in a civil suit against MSU, noted that the $250,000 Lorincz said Engler offered her "was less than 10% of the average amount that Penn State University paid to the male victims of Jerry Sandusky."

Frankly, I don't care if it's 5 million, if it helps her heal, then so be it. But please don't use the term "not about the...." it might very well be about other primary things, but it is also about the money.

Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine on Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:47 pm

DWags wrote:Oh, when anyone says "it's not about the money".........
This.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:57 pm

DWags wrote:And because it's not "about the money" the law firm representing this young lady just released this:

Frankly, I don't care if it's 5 million, if it helps her heal, then so be it. But please don't use the term "not about the...." it might very well be about other primary things, but it is also about the money.

But in today's world everyone will have to pretend it's not about the money lest we offend sensibilities.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:17 pm

DWags wrote:And because it's not "about the money" the law firm representing this young lady just released this:

Maybe for her, it isn't. Her lawyers have a job to make MSU pay, she had a need to make people hear her. Yes, they listened for a while, but saying "how much" now sends the message that they didn't hear.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:19 pm

Roc? What specifically haven't they heard?

My theory is that the antiMSU people see Engler and a strong leader right now for MSU. They don't want that, they want MSU weak - therefore he MUST go and thus we have a series of attacks on him this week.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:20 pm

DWags wrote:Oh, when anyone says "it's not about the money"......... 
I know a couple of the survivors, friends of my kids. And I will tell you that they did not make public statements to try and get money. But it is MSU that keeps talking (publicly) about the settlement, I think many of the survivors would just like an apology but there are lawyers involved, so there will be settlements and the lawyers will get a pretty big share of it.
That apology isn't going to give them back all the pain, shame and problems that they have been through, but the money will help them deal with needing counseling for years to come.
As an example - one of the victims that I know had her boyfriend break up with her because she was too emotionally  involved in the Nassar trial and she should just put that behind her because it was years ago anyway. Now he isn't right, but you have to realize that those who have had to deal with this have limited or no professional counseling (untll recently), and that includes survivors, family and friends.

And everything that happened today, and in the weeks leading up to today have only made the amount of that settlement grow.
Also, if you want to seriously work on getting a settlement then maybe Engler should stop talking about it publicly. Also #2, I certainly hope that MSU doesn't try to have confidentiality as part of the settlement.

Also #3, all of this typing is making me ragey - thinking that Klages, Geddert and others who failed to report are yet to be charged.

- the Swill
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:41 pm

Here's what irks me a bit.

For example let's say Engler did say something that was 1 of 2 things:

He misspoke or he was misunderstood.

Immediately the pitchforks come out and he HAS to go.

Did any of you that are on that kick think for a moment how this happened?

He was meeting with a victim.   It seems he's been making an effort to meet with as many of them as will or can meet with him.

So here he is.  
Damned if he doesn't meet with them - he's a cold, uncaring ass.
Damned if he does and a misunderstanding arises - because he's from MSU guilt is assumed.

So by meeting with the victims he's trying to listen, to change the culture, to hear ideas, etc, etc - and still they want his scalp.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:44 pm

Rocinante wrote:

Maybe for her, it isn't. Her lawyers have a job to make MSU pay, she had a need to make people hear her. Yes, they listened for a while, but saying "how much" now sends the message that they didn't hear.

You know more than I do. I don’t know what they want MSU to do that MSU isn’t doing, so I’m not going to pretend I do. I’m interested in finding out and even helping MSU do it. If you know, I’d be grateful.

Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:45 pm

Wally Fairway wrote:
I know a couple of the survivors, friends of my kids. And I will tell you that they did not make public statements to try and get money. But it is MSU that keeps talking (publicly) about the settlement, I think many of the survivors would just like an apology but there are lawyers involved, so there will be settlements and the lawyers will get a pretty big share of it.
That apology isn't going to give them back all the pain, shame and problems that they have been through, but the money will help them deal with needing counseling for years to come.
As an example - one of the victims that I know had her boyfriend break up with her because she was too emotionally  involved in the Nassar trial and she should just put that behind her because it was years ago anyway. Now he isn't right, but you have to realize that those who have had to deal with this have limited or no professional counseling (untll recently), and that includes survivors, family and friends.

And everything that happened today, and in the weeks leading up to today have only made the amount of that settlement grow.
Also, if you want to seriously work on getting a settlement then maybe Engler should stop talking about it publicly. Also #2, I certainly hope that MSU doesn't try to have confidentiality as part of the settlement.

Also #3, all of this typing is making me ragey - thinking that Klages, Geddert and others who failed to report are yet to be charged.
I agree, the more I think about it, how much difference will the payout end up being if MSU just came out and said 'we're sorry, we failed you, we want to make sure nothing like this ever happens again' like they meant it?
Offer to pay for counseling, hold forums with victims to hear what they want -beyond money.

Wonder where we'd be now if LKS did this 18 months ago?

Being antagonistic will not help.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:02 pm

LooseGoose wrote:Roc? What specifically haven't they heard?

My theory is that the antiMSU people see Engler and a strong leader right now for MSU. They don't want that, they want MSU weak - therefore he MUST go and thus we have a series of attacks on him this week.

Engler was hated by a lot of people for his bullying ways as governor. Strong leader my ass. He is who he always has been. MSU hitched it's wagon to him, and maybe it works in the long run, but I am rapidly losing all respect for my school.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:04 pm

LooseGoose wrote:Here's what irks me a bit.

For example let's say Engler did say something that was 1 of 2 things:

He misspoke or he was misunderstood.

Immediately the pitchforks come out and he HAS to go.

Did any of you that are on that kick think for a moment how this happened?

He was meeting with a victim.   It seems he's been making an effort to meet with as many of them as will or can meet with him.

So here he is.  
Damned if he doesn't meet with them - he's a cold, uncaring ass.
Damned if he does and a misunderstanding arises - because he's from MSU guilt is assumed.

So by meeting with the victims he's trying to listen, to change the culture, to hear ideas, etc, etc - and still they want his scalp.

This is laughably, horribly transparent. Stop. Engler is a saint apparently. Just. Stop.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:17 pm

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down