There are some new allegations

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Re: There are some new allegations

Post by Rocinante on 2018-04-13, 17:20

I've always wished that that video would end in a bloody explosion of llama guts all over the highway.
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2018-04-13, 17:21

Rocinante wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Here's what irks me a bit.

For example let's say Engler did say something that was 1 of 2 things:

He misspoke or he was misunderstood.

Immediately the pitchforks come out and he HAS to go.

Did any of you that are on that kick think for a moment how this happened?

He was meeting with a victim.   It seems he's been making an effort to meet with as many of them as will or can meet with him.

So here he is.  
Damned if he doesn't meet with them - he's a cold, uncaring ass.
Damned if he does and a misunderstanding arises - because he's from MSU guilt is assumed.

So by meeting with the victims he's trying to listen, to change the culture, to hear ideas, etc, etc - and still they want his scalp.

This is laughably, horribly transparent. Stop. Engler is a saint apparently. Just. Stop.

I never said that but of course that's not important either.

You hate him so he can do no right, why not be transparent about that?

And because I disagree with you I should stop. Opinions contrary to your preconceived notions shouldn't be heard.
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2018-04-13, 17:26

I never liked him. I like that he’s stood up to espn. I liked that he got msu’s Side out there yesterday. I didn’t like that he cut the girl off today or that he offered her without her attorney or tape machine going
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno on 2018-04-13, 17:30

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

I was in NYC one time.  Was out for dinner.  Kind of a light snow going on.  Walked outside after dinner, and there was a guy walking a llama down the street in the snow.  

I was like...what in the hell...

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on 2018-04-13, 17:32

For example let's say Engler did say something that was 1 of 2 things:

He misspoke or he was misunderstood.

Immediately the pitchforks come out and he HAS to go.

Did any of you that are on that kick think for a moment how this happened?

He was meeting with a victim.   It seems he's been making an effort to meet with as many of them as will or can meet with him.

So here he is.  
Damned if he doesn't meet with them - he's a cold, uncaring ass.
Damned if he does and a misunderstanding arises - because he's from MSU guilt is assumed.

You are a spin machine man. You are making hypothetical excuses for him, I am judging him on what I believe are the facts. Why would you have any reason to believe he misspoke, or that he would be attacked for not meeting with the victims. You are trying to spin his behavior into something that it's not: honorable. Our arguments are not equivalent. Yours are dumb.
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2018-04-13, 17:44

The only fact you seem to believe is that he was once an ass so always an ass.

You can't really believe that if he were rejecting meeting with the victims that people would be ok with that? Not one person would be condemning him for "ignoring the victims"? That's laughable. Tell me some more about spin.

And realistically isn't any discussion of this hypothetical? You don't know what happened, nor do I.

Well except what was reported and if you're honest we both know that could be highly slanted or simply untrue.
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on 2018-04-13, 17:53

LooseGoose wrote:The only fact you seem to believe is that he was once an ass so always an ass.

You can't really believe that if he were rejecting meeting with the victims that people would be ok with that? Not one person would be condemning him for "ignoring the victims"? That's laughable. Tell me some more about spin.

And realistically isn't any discussion of this hypothetical? You don't know what happened, nor do I.

Well except what was reported and if you're honest we both know that could be highly slanted or simply untrue.

The picture fits with what I know of the man from many sources. Eventually, overwhelming circumstantial evidence leads to a decision. I hope I'm wrong. I really do.
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NWSpartan on 2018-04-13, 17:56

https://twitter.com/KateLouiseWells/status/984907441174401024

@KateLouiseWells
Following Following @KateLouiseWells
More

Statement from MSU Interim President John Engler: confirms mtg with Lorincz, says “our memories and interpretations of the meeting are different than hers. I am sorry if anything said during the meeting was misunderstood.”

(Entire statement embedded in tweet, link above)
NWSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on 2018-04-13, 18:29

He's sorry it came out in public without him in control of the narrative.
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2018-04-13, 19:16

Rocinante wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:The only fact you seem to believe is that he was once an ass so always an ass.

The picture fits with what I know of the man from many sources. Eventually, overwhelming circumstantial evidence leads to a decision. I hope I'm wrong. I really do.

Lorincz assures everyone at the meeting today and afterward that this is not about the money at all.

Her lawyer then releases this statement:

In a press release, Manly, Stewart & Finaldi, the law firm representing Lorincz in a civil suit against MSU, noted that the $250,000 Lorincz said Engler offered her "was less than 10% of the average amount that Penn State University paid to the male victims of Jerry Sandusky."

Nope not about the $$ at all.

LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2018-04-13, 19:17

Rocinante wrote:He's sorry it came out in public without him in control of the narrative.

Note "our", there were 2 women from MSU in the meeting too - think they'll commit perjury and go to prison for Engler?
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2018-04-13, 19:37

Goose you're like the Iraqi Minister of Defense. Stop. MSU can make mistakes. It's ok.
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm on 2018-04-13, 19:40

Wally Fairway wrote:
DWags wrote:Oh, when anyone says "it's not about the money"......... 
I know a couple of the survivors, friends of my kids. And I will tell you that they did not make public statements to try and get money. But it is MSU that keeps talking (publicly) about the settlement, I think many of the survivors would just like an apology but there are lawyers involved, so there will be settlements and the lawyers will get a pretty big share of it.
That apology isn't going to give them back all the pain, shame and problems that they have been through, but the money will help them deal with needing counseling for years to come.
As an example - one of the victims that I know had her boyfriend break up with her because she was too emotionally  involved in the Nassar trial and she should just put that behind her because it was years ago anyway. Now he isn't right, but you have to realize that those who have had to deal with this have limited or no professional counseling (untll recently), and that includes survivors, family and friends.

And everything that happened today, and in the weeks leading up to today have only made the amount of that settlement grow.
Also, if you want to seriously work on getting a settlement then maybe Engler should stop talking about it publicly. Also #2, I certainly hope that MSU doesn't try to have confidentiality as part of the settlement.

Also #3, all of this typing is making me ragey - thinking that Klages, Geddert and others who failed to report are yet to be charged.

Well Geddert is such a wonderful guy (according to hisself)https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2018/01/23/twistars-geddert-says-email-families-he-plans-retire/1057165001/
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2018-04-13, 19:56

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Goose you're like the Iraqi Minister of Defense. Stop. MSU can make mistakes. It's ok.

I've never said mistakes weren't made. And talking about $$ without her lawyer there would have been one.

That doesn't mean that anything her lawyer says is true. It's complete bullshit that they've never thought about the money, they're human.

If you want me to STFU, ban me. Until then I'll defend MSU when I think they're being unfairly attacked.
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2018-04-13, 20:02

lol...don't want to ban you but I think some people are just not capable of being objective about MSU. It's ok. I'm seeing it elsewhere, too. I feel like the past couple of days have been pretty disastrous. I'm done, I want to talk about something more fun.
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2018-04-13, 20:22

It isn't pleasant to talk about it all the time and I hope it dies down. I hate mobs and right now the press and this victim's advocates are essentially working as a mob against MSU. The same people that would want due process and facts to be carefully considered in most other instances just want to burn it all down here.

I resent being told that I'm blindly defending MSU because I'm not and haven't. I loved LAKS and Hollis but they both handled this terribly. They should have gotten out in front of this as much as possible but didn't. Obviously Staempel keeping his job was nearly unbelievable, had I ever heard someone working for me talk about women like he did publicly they wouldn't have made it to lunch. I could go on but the point is that I see where MSU has been wrong but I also see a mob. Some of the people involved seem to derive pleasure from destroying people and institutions and damn anyone hurt by the collateral damage.

What has stunned me in regards to this case is how it's become so MSU centric. When I 1st read that story in the IndyStar a couple years ago I knew we were in for a shit storm but I figured US Gymnastics and the Karolyis would be in just as deep. So far, comparatively those two have skated re:day to day publicity.

My guess is that's because the Karolyis have no $$ and USAGymnastics is a semi government entity so a harder nut to crack. MSU seems to be the target of choice and perhaps with cause. There have been so many lies and 1/2 truths put out by ESPN and others that it's hard for someone not following the case to know what's true and what's not true.

I wish it were over now, it sounds like they start mediation on 4/25, let's see how long that takes. If it's really not about the $$ it shouldn't take long. MSU can make a fair offer and things will settle down quickly, it's the right thing to do and I hope they do it.

I think that USAGym and anyone else with a nickel should contribute to those cases that didn't happen at MSU. I have no idea how they're going to handle those.

Either way it's sad for everyone. Sad for the women that suffered this. Sad for the students at MSU. Sad for Alumni.
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2018-04-13, 21:53

LooseGoose wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Goose you're like the Iraqi Minister of Defense. Stop. MSU can make mistakes. It's ok.

I've never said mistakes weren't made.   And talking about $$ without her lawyer there would have been one.

That doesn't mean that anything her lawyer says  is true.   It's complete bullshit that they've never thought about the money, they're human.

If you want me to STFU, ban me.   Until then I'll defend MSU when I think they're being unfairly attacked.

Perfect storm Goose.  They smell blood. And while MSU deserves much of this, the crazies are now able to dictate terms and they have the power of the media behind them. I don't think people quite get the specter of what's happening at MSU.  We owe victims.  They deserve our attention and respect.  But this shit is really starting to effect MSU.  Example.  Daughter has some friends that in no way should be at MSU next year, they went from "re apply" to "wait list" to "we have a spot next fall".  MSU is lowering standards to get the volume they need.   Daughter is coming home daily saying "guess who got into MSU fall term" daily.   45 million dollar program is dried up with Mastercard.   More shit to come.  The media is burning our school down.   Deserved?  Meh, probably, so here we are.  Perfect storm.  Sucks.   

Can't defend publicly. No way, no way at all.  you saw what happened when Jane doe was defrocked a  bit.  Total bad guy.  And that had nothing to do with Nassar's victims.  I chuckled when the chuckle heads were calling for LAKS and Hollis.  It's like the policy of appeasement right now.  Think it will stop?  I don't.  They're not gonna sleep till major names are gone and MSU is on it's knees.   Again, deserved?  Who knows, some real bad shit has happened.  Maybe it is.  .
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NWSpartan on 2018-04-13, 22:17

LooseGoose wrote:It isn't pleasant to talk about it all the time and I hope it dies down. I hate mobs and right now the press and this victim's advocates are essentially working as a mob against MSU. The same people that would want due process and facts to be carefully considered in most other instances just want to burn it all down here.

I resent being told that I'm blindly defending MSU because I'm not and haven't. I loved LAKS and Hollis but they both handled this terribly. They should have gotten out in front of this as much as possible but didn't. Obviously Staempel keeping his job was nearly unbelievable, had I ever heard someone working for me talk about women like he did publicly they wouldn't have made it to lunch. I could go on but the point is that I see where MSU has been wrong but I also see a mob. Some of the people involved seem to derive pleasure from destroying people and institutions and damn anyone hurt by the collateral damage.

What has stunned me in regards to this case is how it's become so MSU centric. When I 1st read that story in the IndyStar a couple years ago I knew we were in for a shit storm but I figured US Gymnastics and the Karolyis would be in just as deep. So far, comparatively those two have skated re:day to day publicity.

My guess is that's because the Karolyis have no $$ and USAGymnastics is a semi government entity so a harder nut to crack. MSU seems to be the target of choice and perhaps with cause. There have been so many lies and 1/2 truths put out by ESPN and others that it's hard for someone not following the case to know what's true and what's not true.

I wish it were over now, it sounds like they start mediation on 4/25, let's see how long that takes. If it's really not about the $$ it shouldn't take long. MSU can make a fair offer and things will settle down quickly, it's the right thing to do and I hope they do it.

I think that USAGym and anyone else with a nickel should contribute to those cases that didn't happen at MSU. I have no idea how they're going to handle those.

Either way it's sad for everyone. Sad for the women that suffered this. Sad for the students at MSU. Sad for Alumni.

Agree with you. And shrill, screaming mobs do not engender healing. Gets lots of media attention, but does nothing to help move the healing forward. This needs to process through legal channels without all the emotion. Yes, mistakes have been made by lots of people but how many screaming BOT meetings will be enough? At some point, the emotion and the anger needs to make room for healing and forgiveness (for everyone, not just survivors) or we'll all sit and spin in pain ad nauseam. Meet at the table with reasonable expectations on both sides.

It is sad for everyone.

NWSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NWSpartan on 2018-04-13, 22:32

DWags wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

I've never said mistakes weren't made.   And talking about $$ without her lawyer there would have been one.

That doesn't mean that anything her lawyer says  is true.   It's complete bullshit that they've never thought about the money, they're human.

If you want me to STFU, ban me.   Until then I'll defend MSU when I think they're being unfairly attacked.

Perfect storm Goose.  They smell blood. And while MSU deserves much of this, the crazies are now able to dictate terms and they have the power of the media behind them. I don't think people quite get the specter of what's happening at MSU.  We owe victims.  They deserve our attention and respect.  But this shit is really starting to effect MSU.  Example.  Daughter has some friends that in no way should be at MSU next year, they went from "re apply" to "wait list" to "we have a spot next fall".  MSU is lowering standards to get the volume they need.   Daughter is coming home daily saying "guess who got into MSU fall term" daily.   45 million dollar program is dried up with Mastercard.   More shit to come.  The media is burning our school down.   Deserved?  Meh, probably, so here we are.  Perfect storm.  Sucks.   

Can't defend publicly. No way, no way at all.  you saw what happened when Jane doe was defrocked a  bit.  Total bad guy.  And that had nothing to do with Nassar's victims.  I chuckled when the chuckle heads were calling for LAKS and Hollis.  It's like the policy of appeasement right now.  Think it will stop?  I don't.  They're not gonna sleep till major names are gone and MSU is on it's knees.   Again, deserved?  Who knows, some real bad shit has happened.  Maybe it is.  .

I've read many tweets and online comments from victims stating how much they love MSU. Unfortunately, the current students will be collateral damage if the current path continues. That's not fair either.

I understand your concern for acceptance of students, who, under normal circumstances, would not be admitted. I have worked in education and I can tell you from experience, sometimes the best students are the ones you thought shouldn't even be there. The ones who are not serious, who truly do not belong, will wash out. I see it as opportunity for kids who would otherwise be denied. It's up to them to make the most of an open door.
NWSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2018-04-13, 22:42

We deserve much of the shit we are getting. But we dont deserve lies, half-truths, presumption of guilt based on allegations, etc. Not saying that about the Engler stuff, I don't know enough from both sides.

We are an easy target, and we are all tired of this, but let's not get so worn down that we stop caring about whether the media is spouting bullshit or not.
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2018-04-13, 22:44

MiamiSpartan wrote: We deserve much of the shit we are getting. But we dont deserve lies, half-truths, presumption of guilt based on allegations, etc. Not saying that about the Engler stuff, I don't know enough from both sides.

We are an easy target, and we are all tired of this, but let's not get so worn down that we stop caring about whether the media is spouting bullshit or not.

We lost a 45 million dollar a year program from MasterCard because they said “due to media stories” they can’t guarantee kids safety on our campus.

Think about that.
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2018-04-13, 22:53

MiamiSpartan wrote: We deserve much of the shit we are getting. But we dont deserve lies, half-truths, presumption of guilt based on allegations, etc. Not saying that about the Engler stuff, I don't know enough from both sides.

I've stopped caring Miami. I plan on ignoring them. They're fucking imbeciles, and they are not smart enough to cover the details of many of these nuances fairly. We can't stop them, we can't hold them responsible, we can't convince others they need to apply more critical thinking. It is what it is. Crying about it on Twitter and message boards isn't more than a drop in a bucket. Even g Host type rebuttals are met with scorn and skepticism. Fuck it. Let me know when it's over. What's the worst that can happen? They're not gonna shut the University down.
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2018-04-13, 23:07

NWSpartan wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:It isn't pleasant to talk about it all the time and I hope it dies down. I hate mobs and right now the press and this victim's advocates are essentially working as a mob against MSU. The same people that would want due process and facts to be carefully considered in most other instances just want to burn it all down here.

Agree with you. And shrill, screaming mobs do not engender healing. Gets lots of media attention, but does nothing to help move the healing forward. This needs to process through legal channels without all the emotion. Yes, mistakes have been made by lots of people but how many screaming BOT meetings will be enough? At some point, the emotion and the anger needs to make room for healing and forgiveness (for everyone, not just survivors) or we'll all sit and spin in pain ad nauseam. Meet at the table with reasonable expectations on both sides.

It is sad for everyone.

Welcome. And I hope that happens - that somehow the rhetoric can be toned down and somehow the money can be settled as well as any procedural changes implemented to hopefully prevent any future predators. I know being sure of prevention is impossible but we can surely make it harder
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2018-04-13, 23:27

DWags wrote:

We lost a 45 million dollar a year program from MasterCard because they said “due to media stories” they can’t guarantee kids safety on our campus.

Think about that.
And what does that have to do with us, as fans/alums, caring about the lies?
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2018-04-13, 23:34

MiamiSpartan wrote:
DWags wrote:

Think about that.
And what does that have to do with us, as fans/alums, caring about the lies?

Just me venting about that media snowball rolling down hill helping to hurt us.
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2018-04-13, 23:48

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

I've stopped caring Miami. I plan on ignoring them. They're fucking imbeciles, and they are not smart enough to cover the details of many of these nuances fairly. We can't stop them, we can't hold them responsible, we can't convince others they need to apply more critical thinking. It is what it is. Crying about it on Twitter and message boards isn't more than a drop in a bucket. Even g Host type rebuttals are met with scorn and skepticism. Fuck it. Let me know when it's over. What's the worst that can happen? They're not gonna shut the University down.
I don't care about the lies because I hope to change national perception, I care about it because I believe in truth and fairness in reporting. It's about my own feelings, not anyone else's. When the media intentionally throws that away in order to attack men that I believe to be good and decent people who did nothing wrong, it is even worse.

Shouting down dissent, ignoring complaints, and attacking critics (instead of the points they make) until people give up is how bullies get what they want. And make no mistake, the worst of the agenda-driven reporters are absolutely trying to bully people into not criticizing their shoddy reporting. The irony of that is startling.

I know that being out of state I only see a tiny fraction of what you guys get. Maybe that's why I'm not as broken down by it as you guys, so to each their own. Either way, I will continue to call out the bullshit when warranted, even if it's only in our tiny corner of the interwebs.
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2018-04-14, 00:01

See, I don't believe they're bullying at heart Miami. I hear the rest of your points. But I don't believe most of them have an agenda other than riding the current wave. They're surfers. Right now the wave in regards to this is outrage against the institution. If the wave shifted strongly enough - for example if Izzo had proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that there was nothing there, and that he handled everything correctly, and he was strong in his rebukes like Coach D and the Nassar thing wasn't present - I think there would be a crest in the wave and there might even be a backlash of why was this guy targeted? This guy who has always done the right thing?

But right now the wave is going the other way, and Bode is trying to teach Johnny Utah how to ride it but he knows he's an FBI agent. So they ride with Bode.

You see what I'm saying?

I have somehow turned this into a Wags post both intentionally and unintentionally.
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2018-04-14, 07:06

Just to clarify, I did say the worst of the agenda-driven reporters are bullying...this would be Paula and her mentees (Theisen from Deadspin, the lady from the Athletic that says Paula deserves a Pulitzer, Kathy Redmond...ok, she's technically not a reporter, but is a lead bully). TBF, Paula hasn't really been bullying herself (and as we know has stopped interviews or opining about any of it on Twitter, outside of tweeting her new stories or a few retweets), but her buddies are like her attack dogs out there.

Solari and much of the local media are lazy idiots, and like you said just riding the wave, but have also been subjected to attacks when they don't bow down to everything that Paula wrote.
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2018-04-14, 07:21

Nice mention of the alleged payoff offer on GMA just now.
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2018-04-16, 11:30

Not a perfectly accurate article but McCann is at least level headed.

Title IX Lawsuit Over Players' Alleged Rape Adds to Michigan State's Growing Legal Troubles
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2018-04-17, 12:41

annnnnnnndddddddd our long nightmare is not over.  Here are some more allegations of title IX violations.  This time our director of alumni has put in his resignation.   I don't think it's as bad as the headlines sound.  He seems baffled by it, but who knows.  

Westerman resigns as Alumni Director at MSU
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway on 2018-04-17, 12:42

Not sure this is related to anything, but the article (of course ) mentions other resignations

Scott Westerman has turned in his resignation as the director of alumni relations, and there is an investigation OIE investigation in to allegations from when years ago.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/04/17/msu-alumni-director-westerman-investigation/519747002/
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno on 2018-04-17, 13:20

Title IX Lawsuit Over Players' Alleged Rape Adds to Michigan State's Growing Legal Troubles

The players, who are no longer Michigan State students, are not named in the complaint. However, in an accompanying filing, Doe mentions that each “went on to play professional basketball.” This fact suggests that each of the accused former players had prominent roles with the Spartans.

There are 4-5 players that would meet that criteria.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2018-04-18, 12:05

per the Lansing State Urinal, Nassar survivor's claim that Engler offered a pay out is "fake news"..

Rolling Eyes

In e-mails sent to the MSU Board of Trustees over the weekend, Interim President John Engler’s special counsel criticized Larry Nassar's survivors as willing to make outlandish statements in public to drive up settlement amounts and said a claim by one of them that Engler had offered her $250,000 is “fake news.”

Click as you see fit
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2018-04-18, 14:13

Robert J Sakimano wrote:per the Lansing State Urinal, Nassar survivor's claim that Engler offered a pay out is "fake news"..

Rolling Eyes

In e-mails sent to the MSU Board of Trustees over the weekend, Interim President John Engler’s special counsel criticized Larry Nassar's survivors as willing to make outlandish statements in public to drive up settlement amounts and said a claim by one of them that Engler had offered her $250,000 is “fake news.”

Click as you see fit

Here are some money quotes for those who don't want to click:

"Mr. Engler then looked directly at me and asked, 'Right now, if I wrote you a check for $250,000, would you take it?'" Lorincz said. "When I explained that it’s not about the money for me and that I just want to help, he said, 'Well, give me a number.'

MSU spokeswoman Emily Guerrant was in the meeting with Engler. In a conversation with Lisa Lorincz in the crowded board room after the meeting Friday, Guerrant said her interpretation had been that Engler wasn't directly offering a settlement but engaging in a “philosophical discussion” about what amount would be acceptable. 
Viventi, who was in the meeting the Lorincz' referred to, tried in the e-mail to board members to clarify and set the record straight about the meeting.
"The President talked to Kaylee's mom on the phone days earlier before they arrived in the reception area demanding a meeting with the President saying they would not leave until they met," the e-mail says. "The meeting began with their pleas (and pleas throughout the meeting) that this meeting be kept 'confidential' and they would 'be in big trouble if it was known that they were meeting with us.'  I was surprised this was the same mom that the President had talked to. But I know now that they wanted to meet in person so they could get him to talk to Kaylee, as Bob Young cautioned, to 'set up' MSU." 
Young is the former Michigan chief justice hired by Engler to run MSU's defense in the suits against it.
"As to her assertions about (former dean William) Strampel, recall that the president is the person who wanted Strampel to be fired and lose his tenure ...a process that was initiated long before the attorney general filed criminal charges," the e-mail continues. "There is no way he made light of Strampel's actions."
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2018-04-18, 14:17

I don't know, I find it a bit weird that in the same story, the journalist who writes it claims that the quote was given as it being "Fake news", when this is the exact quote:

"Understand that Bob Young advises that the plaintiff attorneys are willing to make bold and false assertions to advance their goal of increasing the cost of settlement," Viventi's e-mail said. "What members of the board say in public can, however unwittingly, advance the plaintiffs' goals and injure the university.  When, as here, it is possible to verify whether public assertions made by plaintiffs are true, there should never be a statement in the press by board members that gives credibility to sensational headlines or what can best be described as "false news."

So, I'm not trying to parse words here, but does anyone get the feeling the press is using the "fake news" stuff instead of the "false news" term to invoke any images of anybody?  Perhaps a bully?    I dont' know, I'm way too hyper sensitive I guess. 
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine on 2018-04-18, 14:23

What part of STFU is so hard for our board and their 'spokespersons' to understand?
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2018-04-18, 14:35

Lol the funny thing is that I'm guessing someone from MSU leaked that thinking it would make them look better. And they are getting skewered for it instead. Get it settled asafp please.
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine on 2018-04-18, 14:39

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Lol the funny thing is that I'm guessing someone from MSU leaked that thinking it would make them look better. And they are getting skewered for it instead. Get it settled asafp please.
MSU is creating a classic case study in 'What not to do in a crisis'.
Sure to be studied by crisis communication classes for years to come. So we got that going for us.
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2018-04-18, 14:43

if I was the PR person currently working with the MSU BoT and Office of the President..

Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum