Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to be a 1950s knuckledragger

+7
kingstonlake
Robert J Sakimano
Travis of the Cosmos
GRR Spartan
MiamiSpartan
Watch Out Pylon!
DWags
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How to be a 1950s knuckledragger Empty How to be a 1950s knuckledragger

Post by Guest 2018-05-06, 10:12

You Can Return to 1950's America Anytime

In my book "Poor Richard's Retirement" I was amazed how people in the 1950's managed to raise full, nuclear families on incomes that are a third of today's household income. When people say "it takes two incomes to raise a family today" what they really mean is...

"When you account for my student loans for my worthless masters degree in human development and my husband's MBA, and the luxury SUV lease, and our McMansion mortgage, and the kids' day care, and the pool boy and the lawn care and our annual vacations to Disney World, Mazatlan, and Italy and the designer clothes for all our children, we need two incomes to pay for everything."

In short, people today replace people with stuff. In the 1950's the parents actually raised a family and spent their money on people. Not things. They knew family was more important than materialism and consequently put it at the center of their lives.

This translated into budgets that were mere fractions of what people spend today, but even more shocking to modern Americans, families in the 50's had money left over. This frugality required living in homes that had 1/3rd the square footage of today's modern homes, owning only one car, taking the bus, children sharing rooms, cutting coupons and budgeting, hemming and darning clothes, and not outsourcing your children to daycare which (ironically) usually costs more than what paltry income a wife brings in when she goes out and works whatever part-time non-profit job her liberal arts degree affords here.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

How to be a 1950s knuckledragger Empty Re: How to be a 1950s knuckledragger

Post by DWags 2018-05-06, 10:21

LooseGoose wrote:You Can Return to 1950's America Anytime

In my book "Poor Richard's Retirement" I was amazed how people in the 1950's managed to raise full, nuclear families on incomes that are a third of today's household income. When people say "it takes two incomes to raise a family today" what they really mean is...

"When you account for my student loans for my worthless masters degree in human development and my husband's MBA, and the luxury SUV lease, and our McMansion mortgage, and the kids' day care, and the pool boy and the lawn care and our annual vacations to Disney World, Mazatlan, and Italy and the designer clothes for all our children, we need two incomes to pay for everything."

In short, people today replace people with stuff. In the 1950's the parents actually raised a family and spent their money on people. Not things. They knew family was more important than materialism and consequently put it at the center of their lives.

This translated into budgets that were mere fractions of what people spend today, but even more shocking to modern Americans, families in the 50's had money left over. This frugality required living in homes that had 1/3rd the square footage of today's modern homes, owning only one car, taking the bus, children sharing rooms, cutting coupons and budgeting, hemming and darning clothes, and not outsourcing your children to daycare which (ironically) usually costs more than what paltry income a wife brings in when she goes out and works whatever part-time non-profit job her liberal arts degree affords here.

Had me until the article disparaged education. Making a blank statement that masters degrees are useless, implying education is useless, is bullshit tribalism.

We do want too much. We do work too many hours. We do chase the Jones too much. But when you imply education is worthless, just fuck off.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-05-06, 10:29

All we have to do it bomb all of Europe, Japan, Russia, and China back to the 1800's like at the end of WWII and we're all set!
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-05-06, 11:34

DWags wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:You Can Return to 1950's America Anytime

Had me until the article disparaged education. Making a blank statement that masters degrees are useless, implying education is useless, is bullshit tribalism.

We do want too much. We do work too many hours. We do chase the Jones too much. But when you imply education is worthless, just fuck off.

lol, I didn't imply that it was a part of the article. And mostly it was disparaging certain types of unusable degrees. You paint with too broad a brush, just like the author.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-05-06, 12:14

LooseGoose wrote:
DWags wrote:

lol, I didn't imply that it was a part of the article. And mostly it was disparaging certain types of unusable degrees. You paint with too broad a brush, just like the author.

MBA?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-05-06, 12:48

DWags wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

MBA?
She only called her human development masters worthless. The "and my husband's MBA" was referring to the student loans of both. It's kind of an awkwardly written sentence that could imply both, but I didn't read it as the MBA being worthless.

Either way, she is basically the new Amish, trying to shut herself off from the reality of the 21st century in the hope of a more simple time.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2018-05-06, 13:11

The world we get in Goose's time machine is our bankers and financiers will be RDK's (rich dumb kids) whose daddy's can write checks for those "useless degrees" like MBA's.

Then there is the sticky realities.  Adjusting for inflation the $4900 median wage would be $45,800 in May 2018.  That's $22.70 per hour.  Now we have to imagine a world where all those $15-$17/hr jobs would have to bump 29% to 50%.  Even with the new tax bill I don't even see major MI employers like Meijer rushing to raise their median wage to $22.70.

Want to buy a home in the time machine world?  
Median home price was $9800 adjusted for inflation using the same Bureau of Labor Statistics CPI calculator is $91,600 But according to Zillow the media price for a home in MI is $138,750.  How does the author's time machine work out the 51% difference?  

How about purchasing a car?   A new car median cost was $2100 in 1955, about 42% of the median wage. Now the median price of a car in 2017 is $30,000 that’s 62% of the median wage

Is health insurance costing workers more with employee contributions, deductibles and copays taking more than the no employee
contribution plans of 1955 going to roll back to their old methods?  Are hospitals and doctors going to cut their pricing to 1955 levels?  
(My cousin found the bills for her birth in 1956.  The obstetrician charged $100 and Butterworth Hospital charge $145 for a 3 day and 2 overnight stay)

So if we can just convince employers, real estate markets, health care providers, grocers and utility companies to go along we can march backwards towards the 1955 utopia in unison.

Last edited by GRR Spartan on 2018-05-06, 14:12; edited 1 time in total
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-05-06, 13:18

MiamiSpartan wrote:
DWags wrote:

MBA?
She only called her human development masters worthless. The "and my husband's MBA" was referring to the student loans of both. It's kind of an awkwardly written sentence that could imply both, but I didn't read it as the MBA being worthless.

Either way, she is basically the new Amish, trying to shut herself off from the reality of the 21st century in the hope of a more simple time.

Goes against the grain of the article but I know HDFS majors who are employed by districts making 100K a year with messa blue/cross health benefits and a pension package of 4K a month plus health till they die. So, like anything, make what you will out of your masters. (But, to be honest, the job sucks because it’s so depressing. Thinking about it, most of the people I know are a bit “different” after about five years. Maybe some form of ptsd)
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-05-06, 18:25

Btw this thread is hilariously stupid. An old dying prick that wishes it was still 1950 would share something like this.

“Corporate profits keep going up and up and up but living wages stay the same but it’s your fault not the insane oligarchs who hoard the money. It’s you that wants too much.”

Lol fuck you.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-05-06, 18:28

Like holy shit this guy actually thought that this thread was a good thing. Fucking hell. A) he’s a dipshit B) he can’t possibly get more on his knees for these rich people that send him orders can he? We’ll see I guess. Stay tuned for next weeks episode of “goose is a fucking idiot.”
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-05-06, 18:58

Yeah - I'm not down with people who besmirch our institutions of learning.

There is a reason why the GOP demeans education - they benefit from an uninformed electorate.

I mean, did y'all hear about Hillary's email account? How to be a 1950s knuckledragger 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2018-05-06, 21:25

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Like holy shit this guy actually thought that this thread was a good thing. Fucking hell. A) he’s a dipshit B) he can’t possibly get more on his knees for these rich people that send him orders can he? We’ll see I guess. Stay tuned for next weeks episode of “goose is a fucking idiot.”

Why are you always angry?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-05-06, 21:39

kingstonlake wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Like holy shit this guy actually thought that this thread was a good thing. Fucking hell. A) he’s a dipshit B) he can’t possibly get more on his knees for these rich people that send him orders can he? We’ll see I guess. Stay tuned for next weeks episode of “goose is a fucking idiot.”

Goose crossed a line today and now he can go fuck himself. There’s no more pretending that he’s some intellectual. He deserves to get called out and shit on constantly for the bullshit he spews.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2018-05-06, 22:54

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Goose crossed a line today and now he can go fuck himself. There’s no more pretending that he’s some intellectual. He deserves to get called out and shit on constantly for the bullshit he spews.

Guess I missed it. Crossed a line?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2018-05-06, 23:09

Ok Trav, I read the thread. I'm not chosing sides. It's just an opinion. I think you both went off the rails. I honestly don't think he posted that piece as an afront to anyone. Sorry about your friend. I can see your angle here and understand it. I can also see gooses angle. In war people will die. And those people died hopefully to bring a better fate to those they liberate. Possibly the article highlighted that. It'll never change your feeling on the war because you have a different experience from it. Goose saying your experience doesn't chance the truthfulness of the article is correct. And being upset over your friend doesn't diminish the possibility that things are better there. For you that price was too high. For Iraqis it's not. Both points are understandable.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2018-05-07, 09:34

Goose's "angle" is to show up here, throw some written Molotov Cocktails then get a reaction and whine that he's picked on when posting on The Swill which he than refers to as a cess pool.

A freakin' right wing Sean Hannity style radical who tosses out inflamatory crap then hides behind the grandfatherly pie maker persona. Calls others who dare to disagree with him assholes and wimpers how folks pick on him.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2018-05-07, 13:41

I love education as much as the next guy, but let's not pretend that all degrees are equally useful/valuable, nor that everyone in a college belongs there and is on the best possible path towards success.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2018-05-07, 13:42

GRR Spartan wrote:Goose's "angle" is to show up here, throw some written Molotov Cocktails then get a reaction and whine that he's picked on when posting on The Swill which he than refers to as a cess pool.

A freakin' right wing Sean Hannity style radical who tosses out inflamatory crap then hides behind the grandfatherly pie maker persona. Calls others who dare to disagree with him assholes and wimpers how folks pick on him.

Not trying to be a douche bag here, but a kinda find it laughable. Consistently alot of you guys are the ones hurling personally insults and getting your panties in a bunch. If indeed he posts for reaction...... You guys sure do play into the game. Willfully....
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-05-07, 13:50

Cameron wrote:I love education as much as the next guy, but let's not pretend that all degrees are equally useful/valuable, nor that everyone in a college belongs there and is on the best possible path towards success.
college degrees are what you make of them.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-05-07, 14:50

kingstonlake wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:Goose's "angle" is to show up here, throw some written Molotov Cocktails then get a reaction and whine that he's picked on when posting on The Swill which he than refers to as a cess pool.

Not trying to be a douche bag here, but a kinda find it laughable. Consistently alot of you guys are the ones hurling personally insults and getting your panties in a bunch. If indeed he posts for reaction...... You guys sure do play into the game. Willfully....

I try to laugh it all off. I think I succeed about 95% of the time.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-05-07, 14:53

kingstonlake wrote:

Sounds familiar
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-05-07, 15:05

kingstonlake wrote:

A freakin' right wing Sean Hannity style radical who tosses out inflamatory crap then hides behind the grandfatherly pie maker persona.  Calls others who dare to disagree with him assholes and wimpers how folks pick on him.

he's fun to needle at... I like 'ol Goose but I think he takes this place too seriously.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-05-07, 21:22

Well first visit today.

I see our idiot Mods are now tampering with my posts. With that now being acceptable I'm done.

You pricks can go edit anything and attribute it to me. Fuck yourselves

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-05-07, 21:25

kingstonlake wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

He says I crossed a line when Travis dragged his dead friends body into a thread and attempted to claim that gave him some sort of moral superiority. I refused to bow to his idiocy and he's been throwing a tantrum since like the little bitch he is. I

If he respected the dead he would allow them to RIP
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-05-07, 21:26

LooseGoose wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

He says I crossed a line when Travis dragged his dead friends body into a thread and attempted to claim that gave him some sort of moral superiority. I refused to how to his idiocy and he's been throwing a tantrum since like the little bitch he is.

Back already? You were gone 3 minutes. How to be a 1950s knuckledragger 502811600
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2018-05-07, 21:49

Don’t leave goose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-05-07, 21:53

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Don’t leave goose

I'm done in here. They whine when I don't post then whine when I do.

The infants tampering with my posts ought to be stripped of the mod powers they just abused.

Until then I'm done in here.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-05-07, 22:08

LooseGoose wrote:Well first visit today.

I see our idiot Mods are now tampering with my posts. With that now being acceptable I'm done.

You pricks can go edit anything and attribute it to me. Fuck yourselves

I don't know what posts you're talking about but I've never messed with your posts.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-05-07, 22:09

LooseGoose wrote:

The infants tampering with my posts ought to be stripped of the mod powers they just abused.

See ya tomorrow Goose.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-05-07, 22:19

LooseGoose wrote:

Hey.

You're kind of a whiner yourself.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-05-07, 22:22

If Goose is talking about this board I'm pretty sure only myself, Cym Jim, Heat & SRC can modify posts. Since it wasn't me it must have been one of those three. Just trying to help you out Goose. Talk to me!
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-05-07, 22:45

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:If Goose is talking about this board I'm pretty sure only myself, Cym Jim, Heat & SRC can modify posts. Since it wasn't me it must have been one of those three. Just trying to help you out Goose. Talk to me!

He left.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-05-08, 08:10

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:If Goose is talking about this board I'm pretty sure only myself, Cym Jim, Heat & SRC can modify posts. Since it wasn't me it must have been one of those three. Just trying to help you out Goose. Talk to me!

Well if Goose doesn't want to explain what happened I'm considering this case closed. Feel free to reopen the issue whenever you return Goose. My door is always open.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-05-08, 08:12

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

See ya tomorrow Goose.
How to be a 1950s knuckledragger 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2018-05-08, 09:00

kingstonlake wrote:

Maybe you are the kind of personality that lets the bomb throwers continue unabated. That's why we have a pussy grabber in The White House.

Someone shows up here and wants to play the friendly pie making grandpa "Why can't we all get along card" after calling a HS kid "young Hitler" and throws verbal bombs like "baby meat grinders" won't slide by.

I have a wife, sisters and a daughter. All capable of making decisions without others interfering with their personal medical legal rights.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-05-08, 09:54

No Goose = less Russian intrusion attempts/attacks on laptops.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2018-05-08, 10:27

GRR Spartan wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Maybe you are the kind of personality that lets the bomb throwers continue unabated. That's why we have a pussy grabber in The White House.

Someone shows up here and wants to play the friendly pie making grandpa "Why can't we all get along card" after calling a HS kid "young Hitler" and throws verbal bombs like "baby meat grinders" won't slide by.

I have a wife, sisters and a daughter. All capable of making decisions without others interfering with their personal medical legal rights.

1.) He's not throwing bombs. How to be a 1950s knuckledragger 502811600 Like I've said before, he's just the other side of the same coin as others here.

2.) When I saw that parkland kid the first thing I thought of was "damn, he's dressed like Hitler".

3.) How has he interfered with any women's legal medical rights? By having an opinion? I don't agree with him, but man you guys sure do get your panties in a bunch.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-05-08, 10:31

kingstonlake wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:

1.) He's not throwing bombs. How to be a 1950s knuckledragger 502811600 Like I've said before, he's just the other side of the same coin as others here.

2.) When I saw that parkland kid the first thing I thought of was "damn, he's dressed like Hitler".

You should step your game up. Goose called him Little Hitler AND said he was a liar.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2018-05-08, 10:36

NigelUno wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

You should step your game up. Goose called him Little Hitler AND said he was a liar.

I believe he posted a link that questioned if the kid was there? Can't really remember as it didn't really affect me either way. Much in the same way Hillary Clinton got the name Hillary.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-05-08, 11:10

kingstonlake wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I believe he posted a link that questioned if the kid was there? Can't really remember as it didn't really affect me either way. Much in the same way Hillary Clinton got the name Hillary.

Yeah. It's pretty much the same.

Good analogy.

What affects you isn't really the point if you're talking about Goose throwing bombs on a message board.

Calling a kid Little Hitler and a liar because you want to believe he's a pawn doesn't really compare to how Hillary got her name as far as bomb throwing.

Be Best.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum