Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tSwill Official World Cup Thread

+19
MiamiSpartan
steveschneider
Tim Wakefield
CORNER BLITZ
Nordic
Robert J Sakimano
Rocinante
MattyFresh
NigelUno
InTenSity
By-Tor
Senior Dickfist
Cym Jim
Travis of the Cosmos
Other Teams Pursuing That
Watch Out Pylon!
tGreenWay
DWags
Floyd Robertson
23 posters

Page 2 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down

tSwill Official World Cup Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: tSwill Official World Cup Thread

Post by MiamiSpartan Fri 15 Jun 2018 - 14:06

Portugal with an early goal, Ronaldo scored a pen. They can really bunker down now.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tSwill Official World Cup Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: tSwill Official World Cup Thread

Post by MiamiSpartan Fri 15 Jun 2018 - 14:11

Steve, as I said to Travis, rooting for Mexico because they border is is like rooting for UM because they're a B10 school. They throw bags of piss--yes, piss--at our players. Fuck em.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri 15 Jun 2018 - 14:15

Ok I will rethink that one. How about my other two?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 15 Jun 2018 - 14:39

MiamiSpartan wrote:Steve, as I said to Travis, rooting for Mexico because they border is is like rooting for UM because they're a B10 school.  They throw bags of piss--yes, piss--at our players.  Fuck em.
maybe they deserved it.. tSwill Official World Cup Thread - Page 2 2599972566
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri 15 Jun 2018 - 14:54

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1789424

Doesn’t seem like it. Pretty deplorable behavior.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Fri 15 Jun 2018 - 15:12

steveschneider wrote:Ok I will rethink that one. How about my other two?
France might be the most talented team in the tournament (close call with Brazil), especially attacking. But they often underachieve, and their coach doesn't use their talent well. Not many want to pick them, but if they get in sync, they could be really fun.

I don't know much about Nigeria. There was a time when they made some decent runs in the WC, with a fast, powerful, attacking style, but that was like 20 years ago. I don't know if that's still the case. I don't think they're supposed to be all that good, though.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Fri 15 Jun 2018 - 15:17

Wow, Spain with two quick goals to flip the game from 2-1 Portugal, to 3-2 Spain. Hell of a strike on the third goal from Nacho. This match is living up to expectations. Ronaldo with 2 goals and Costa with 2 goals. Great stuff.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Fri 15 Jun 2018 - 15:46

HAT TRICK for Cristiano Ronaldo. BPITW for me.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri 15 Jun 2018 - 22:12

MiamiSpartan wrote:HAT TRICK for Cristiano Ronaldo.  BPITW for me.  

Absurd goals on both sides
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Sat 16 Jun 2018 - 7:34

France in the process of blowing a very winnable match.

(official replay reviews in World Cup play? I'm not a fan).
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Sat 16 Jun 2018 - 7:40

*nevermind
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sat 16 Jun 2018 - 9:39

Da fuq was Argentina doing on D there? Looked like an Iceland power play.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sat 16 Jun 2018 - 10:32

Robert J Sakimano wrote:France in the process of blowing a very winnable match.

(official replay reviews in World Cup play? I'm not a fan).

I wish they’d have learned from American sports (particularly football) and their disaster of a foray into using replay but it appears they haven’t.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Sat 16 Jun 2018 - 10:56

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Go Iceland!

Bump.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sat 16 Jun 2018 - 11:02

One of the added bonuses of the World Cup is seeing all the stylish cuts. I just gave myself a tight Finnbogason fade.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Sat 16 Jun 2018 - 20:47

At Epcot today, so wasn't able to watch anything, but followed along when in lines or whatever. Great job by Iceland! Bahahaha at Messi! Seriously, though, I read that he's missed 4 or 5 of his last 7 penalties for Barca and Argentina. Why is he taking it if he's already missed 3 or 4 of his last 6? Fuck em.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sat 16 Jun 2018 - 21:42

It was a good day Miami. Had the games going while messing around the house. The announcers were brutal on Messi. Comparing what he did vs. Ronaldo the day before from the opening tip. I'm not sad Argentina might get bounced, they are boring soccer. But unfair comparison for Messi.

Peru/Denmark was the best game of the day. Up and down. Neither team was good enough to dominate the other. Lots of scoring chances, especially for Peru. An epic penalty shot miss. It was McDoom-esk. I fell bad for that guy (not McDoom)

Hit the DVR for Crotia/Nigeria. Pretty meh game compared to the other two.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield Sun 17 Jun 2018 - 11:38

We don't fuckin watch soccer anyway, why does it matter if we root for Mexico ? They look fun
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sun 17 Jun 2018 - 12:03

Tim Wakefield wrote:We don't fuckin watch soccer anyway, why does it matter if we root for Mexico ? They look fun

I agree. I'm rooting for them. I read the articles and yes the behavior is deplorable. I told my friend from England about it, and his response was 'doesn't sound any worse than English fans'. I think deplorable behavior is just par for the course with the passionate fan bases. I'm looking beyond it and rooting for them.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sun 17 Jun 2018 - 13:29

Mexico!
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Sun 17 Jun 2018 - 13:32

Loved watching Mexico do a job the Americans wouldn't/couldn't do.

To be fair, though, Germany had plenty of opportunities. What was the time of possession? I'm guessing 65/35. Probably had close to 3X shots on goal, as well.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sun 17 Jun 2018 - 16:10

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Loved watching Mexico do a job the Americans wouldn't/couldn't do.

To be fair, though, Germany had plenty of opportunities. What was the time of possession? I'm guessing 65/35. Probably had close to 3X shots on goal, as well.

Hernandez (I refuse to use that bullshit made up name everyone loves so much) had at least 2 chances where he just refused to shoot the ball and tried to get a penalty instead. That was extremely annoying to me seeing as on at least one of them if he tried to shoot he would have gotten the penalty he wanted.

Brazil needs to start Firmino in the next game. Jesus was next to useless out there. Everyone is going to panic about them tying for the next few days but they will be just fine.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Sun 17 Jun 2018 - 16:23

Yep. I can't disagree, Travis.

Belgium is my dark horse. Iceland is fun to watch. Lets not forget they were one of the last four left standing in Euro '16.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon 18 Jun 2018 - 0:07

Travis, do you refuse to use Edson Arantes do Nascimento's bullshit made up name, too? How about others that go by names other than their legal name? Lighten up.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon 18 Jun 2018 - 0:17

MiamiSpartan wrote:Travis, do you refuse to use Edson Arantes do Nascimento's bullshit made up name, too?  How about others that go by names other than their legal name?  Lighten up.

I don’t know who those people are. I dunno man, I’m just a wee bit sick of West Ham’s chicharito and his overrated act. He’s not good enough to deserve the attention he gets. Today could have been a cake walk if he was as good as it feels is suggested.

I do not think I’ll be rooting for Mexico now that they beat Germany despite my earlier comments. (They’ll just lose in the round of 16 anyway, as is custom.)
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Mon 18 Jun 2018 - 0:20

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Yep. I can't disagree, Travis.

Belgium is my dark horse. Iceland is fun to watch. Lets not forget they were one of the last four left standing in Euro '16.

In order to forget that fact, isn't it necessary for me to even have known it in the first place?  Or cared?

Mexico all the way.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield Mon 18 Jun 2018 - 0:24

Without looking up that long portuguese name, I'm guessing it's Neymar
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon 18 Jun 2018 - 9:34

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:Travis, do you refuse to use Edson Arantes do Nascimento's bullshit made up name, too?  How about others that go by names other than their legal name?  Lighten up.

I don’t know who those people are. I dunno man, I’m just a wee bit sick of West Ham’s chicharito and his overrated act. He’s not good enough to deserve the attention he gets. Today could have been a cake walk if he was as good as it feels is suggested.

I do not think I’ll be rooting for Mexico now that they beat Germany despite my earlier comments. (They’ll just lose in the round of 16 anyway, as is custom.)

Tim Wakefield wrote:Without looking up that long portuguese name, I'm guessing it's Neymar
Neymar will never be able to hold his jock.
tSwill Official World Cup Thread - Page 2 XMRTepq
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon 18 Jun 2018 - 9:57

The corporate shills pushing Mexico on the American public thank you all for falling for their bullshit.

Wake, I get that you don't feel the rivalry that some of us that follow it more closely do, but do you root for UM softball if they're in the CWS, just because you don't watch women's softball anyway?

Steve, English fans are fucking vile, too. Don't even get me going on that. Yes, lots of country's fans are. I didn't mean that as a reason to root against Mexico in and of itself.

Bob, you just like Mexico because Trump hates them. Fair enough, at least you have reason. Wink

I don't really care who you guys root for. I'm not saying, "You're American, so you have to root for this team and against that team". For people that actively follow/root for the US soccer, I think they're fucked in the head to be rooting for Mexico, and yes that includes fucking Landypants Donovan. Rivalries are what makes sports. But for those of you that aren't really into it, whatever. I don't really care too much when MSU grads that don't really follow sports casually root for UM in a big game (like the basketball finals) because they're rooting for a local team. But that's what it's like, so just pointing that out.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Mon 18 Jun 2018 - 12:18

I don't the know the Mexico backstory, but I liked the way they played against Germany. They weren't afraid to counter punch and it worked. They could of had 2-3 goals in the first half. I missed the 2nd half.

Brazil looks like the best team I've seen so far (I missed Portugal/Spain). Complete ball control and unlike Argentina, they attack. Their D was also suffocating, their center backs seemed to always be in the perfect position for easy clears. That game could of easily been 3-1 or more.

BTW the Swiss are the dirtiest team in the in the WC. Straight up dirtballs. I guess it worked to get a draw, but they should of had at least 1 red card (neck grab pulldown on Neymar) and playing that 2nd half a man down.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Mon 18 Jun 2018 - 12:26

Belgium D looking a little leaky
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon 18 Jun 2018 - 13:11

Big Rom with 2 goals, as Belgium come alive in the second half to win 3-0!
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Mon 18 Jun 2018 - 13:12

MiamiSpartan wrote:The corporate shills pushing Mexico on the American public thank you all for falling for their bullshit.

Wake, I get that you don't feel the rivalry that some of us that follow it more closely do, but do you root for UM softball if they're in the CWS, just because you don't watch women's softball anyway?

Steve, English fans are fucking vile, too.  Don't even get me going on that.  Yes, lots of country's fans are.  I didn't mean that as a reason to root against Mexico in and of itself.  

Bob, you just like Mexico because Trump hates them.  Fair enough, at least you have reason.  Wink

I don't really care who you guys root for.  I'm not saying, "You're American, so you have to root for this team and against that team".  For people that actively follow/root for the US soccer, I think they're fucked in the head to be rooting for Mexico, and yes that includes fucking Landypants Donovan.  Rivalries are what makes sports.  But for those of you that aren't really into it, whatever.  I don't really care too much when MSU grads that don't really follow sports casually root for UM in a big game (like the basketball finals) because they're rooting for a local team.  But that's what it's like, so just pointing that out.

I don't follow soccer at all, but I'll passively follow the World Cup. I get how big this is to literally the rest of the planet and it's cool to watch really invested groups of people go nuts (in a good way). I'm rooting for Iceland because they have the population of what... Grand Rapids? And they have cool names like Magnus VerMagnusson. That's it.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Mon 18 Jun 2018 - 13:36

tSwill Official World Cup Thread - Page 2 IfBEvFQY0fNM_TmZvCl4NMwKq-v9Kd4sEQnha-kO2fw

Meanwhile, in Scotland.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Mon 18 Jun 2018 - 13:50

Ha that is hilarious. To Miami I feel like the corporate marketers are getting everyone to root for Iceland. I’m amazed at how many bandwagon Iceland fans there are. I think with USA Italy and Holland out a lot of people are at a loss for who to root for.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Mon 18 Jun 2018 - 13:52

steveschneider wrote:Ha that hilarious. To Miami I feel like the corporate marketers are getting everyone to root for Iceland. I’m amazed at how many bandwagon Iceland fans there are. I think with USA  Italy and Holland out a lot of people are at a loss for who to root for.

Is that happening? The hipster part of me does not like this one bit.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon 18 Jun 2018 - 16:38

steveschneider wrote:Ha that is  hilarious. To Miami I feel like the corporate marketers are getting everyone to root for Iceland. I’m amazed at how many bandwagon Iceland fans there are. I think with USA  Italy and Holland out a lot of people are at a loss for who to root for.
The Iceland love affair started two years ago at the European Championships when they were kind of a Cinderella team, surprised everyone by competing and winning a couple of games, and their fans had this really well organized "viking clap". They really are a great story. I think the hipsters are sick of it and want to move on to a less mainstream team. So I'm sure there is some marketing of that because they do exude the ultimate underdog story (i.e., a guy whose full time job is a TV director saving a penalty from one of the best players in all of history....it's almost literally right out of a movie, if you've ever seen Victory).

But the marketers have people like Landon Donovan telling Americans to root for Mexico. Sports Illustrated has a cover calling Mexico "AMERICA'S other TEAM". Shit like that.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Mon 18 Jun 2018 - 16:55

Miami I asked my friend from England what he thinks of captain kane and he told me since he’s a spud he hates him. Seems like soccer creates a situation where you pretty much hate everyone unless they play for club.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist Mon 18 Jun 2018 - 17:47

Steve, what is a "spud"?
Senior Dickfist
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon 18 Jun 2018 - 18:18

MiamiSpartan wrote:The corporate shills pushing Mexico on the American public thank you all for falling for their bullshit.

Steve, English fans are fucking vile, too.  Don't even get me going on that.  Yes, lots of country's fans are.  I didn't mean that as a reason to root against Mexico in and of itself.  

Bob, you just like Mexico because Trump hates them.  Fair enough, at least you have reason.  Wink

I don't really care who you guys root for.  I'm not saying, "You're American, so you have to root for this team and against that team".  For people that actively follow/root for the US soccer, I think they're fucked in the head to be rooting for Mexico, and yes that includes fucking Landypants Donovan.  Rivalries are what makes sports.  But for those of you that aren't really into it, whatever.  I don't really care too much when MSU grads that don't really follow sports casually root for UM in a big game (like the basketball finals) because they're rooting for a local team.  But that's what it's like, so just pointing that out.

I bet $10 on Belgium winning this shit with my friend who bet on Brazil. Really trying to get this guy into soccer, so even if I lose that’s okay. He’ll start to get why it’s fun with an exciting team to root for. But I’m pretty sure I’m rooting for Belgium now.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next