Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tSwill Official World Cup Thread

+19
MiamiSpartan
steveschneider
Tim Wakefield
CORNER BLITZ
Nordic
Robert J Sakimano
Rocinante
MattyFresh
NigelUno
InTenSity
By-Tor
Senior Dickfist
Cym Jim
Travis of the Cosmos
Other Teams Pursuing That
Watch Out Pylon!
tGreenWay
DWags
Floyd Robertson
23 posters

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down

tSwill Official World Cup Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: tSwill Official World Cup Thread

Post by steveschneider 2018-06-18, 19:05

A spud is a player from Tottenham and heated rivals with Arsenal.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

tSwill Official World Cup Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: tSwill Official World Cup Thread

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-06-18, 22:44

Yeah, Steve, international soccer creates a lot of conflicting feelings. A lot of fans don't hate their rivals players when they put on the national team shirt like your friend. I respect him for that. It always seems quite hypocritical the way they talk shit and say/sing the nastiest things about players, then 2 weeks later they're cheering and loving them like one of their own. I get still rooting for the national team, but not suddenly acting like you love players you've hated for months.

I remember the hockey world championships or whatever back in 96ish? As a Wings fan I fucking hated most of the US team. Roenick, Chelios, LeClair, etc. It was a weird feeling, because I still wanted the US to win, but hated seeing a lot of the players have success. They'd score and I'd be like, "YES!--Fuck, I hate that dickhead, why did he have to be the one to score--but sweet, we are in the lead." But I couldn't just turn my like/dislike of players on and off so easy.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-06-19, 10:54

yeah, I think that’s about how he is with it. I should start watching premier league I think I’d enjoy it a lot. It’s always so early on Saturdays and I’m usually just getting my day going when it’s happening.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2018-06-19, 12:23

Oh shit... Senegal goal on a line change! The Polish are gonna be pissed.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2018-06-19, 12:26

I don’t defend soccer anymore. That was a complete shitshow. How hard is it to wait for a stoppage before allowing a player who faked injury back onto the field?
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-06-19, 12:31

How many Poles does it take to make a line change?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2018-06-19, 12:37

If I ran fifa soccer, besides taking bribes, I would force any “injured” pussy who leaves the field to wait 15 minutes before re-entering. If you lay on the field for longer than 30 seconds then you go to sideline. If you don’t like it, sub out.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2018-06-19, 12:49

I sense a PK call to favor Poland coming up.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-06-19, 14:38

Go Egypt!

F the election meddlers.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-06-19, 15:06

Damn.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-06-19, 15:18

Doesn't Egypt have Travis' favorite player on it? Thanks a lot Travis.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-06-19, 19:08

Tor, that's not the rule to wait for a stoppage (not should it be), so why should they? Poland had possession in their attacking half. The ref doesn't know they're going to pass all the way back to the goalie from there. It just so happens that the ref waved the player back on right as they back passed it. The back pass itself was odd, with a high looping volley from well inside their attacking half. Weird play, but shit happens.

Egypt the first team to be eliminated. Trav, you may get your wish about at least seeing Salah.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-06-19, 19:16

Also, that's stupid to say they should stay out 15 minutes. Doesn't happen in any other sport. Just because they stay down doesn't mean they're faking. You can't sub out for 2 minutes like in football, basketball, or hockey, so it isn't even comparable. Players in those sports get dinged up all the time where they sit for a minute, or a play, or whatever and come back. You can't do that in soccer without putting your team at a real disadvantage.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2018-06-20, 01:05

97% of the time the guy rolling on the ground acting like he was shot in the leg is sprinting just fine 30 seconds later. Especially if the ref doesn’t stop play. It’s become a joke, always has been really. I’m just less tolerant of it these days I guess. The 15 minute part was obviously extreme but they have to do something. It’s not just the sub rule either. It’s the culture of the sport. I used to see guys do this in beer league soccer on a regular basis where there are unlimited subs.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2018-06-20, 07:22

By-Tor wrote:97% of the time the guy rolling on the ground acting like he was shot in the leg is sprinting just fine 30 seconds later.  Especially if the ref doesn’t stop play.  It’s become a joke, always has been really.  I’m just less tolerant of it these days I guess.   The 15 minute part was obviously extreme but they have to do something.  It’s not just the sub rule either.  It’s the culture of the sport.  I used to see guys do this in beer league soccer on a regular  basis where there are unlimited subs.

Agree.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-06-20, 08:52

Sure, it is annoying when people fake injuries, but it is because they're trying to draw cards or whatever, not just for the heck of it. So it takes away from the game in a sportsmanship way, but it is hardly worthy of any extreme measures. The refs just need to not fall for it. Besides, how are you going to prove they're faking? Because they're running after? How often do you see football players stay down injured only to sit out one play because they're forced to? Happens a lot. Sometimes knocks will take a minute to get over, to walk it off, or whatever.

Maybe a solution would be if refs give a card because they think someone is injured, they can then rescind it if the player comes back and the ref feels he was hoodwinked. However, usually (not always) cards are given based on the foul, not the injury.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2018-06-20, 11:04

MiamiSpartan wrote:Sure, it is annoying when people fake injuries, but it is because they're trying to draw cards or whatever, not just for the heck of it.  So it takes away from the game in a sportsmanship way, but it is hardly worthy of any extreme measures.  The refs just need to not fall for it.  Besides, how are you going to prove they're faking?  Because they're running after? How often do you see football players stay down injured only to sit out one play because they're forced to?  Happens a lot.  Sometimes knocks will take a minute to get over, to walk it off, or whatever.  

Maybe a solution would be if refs give a card because they think someone is injured, they can then rescind it if the player comes back and the ref feels he was hoodwinked.  However, usually (not always) cards are given based on the foul, not the injury.

We are obviously not going to agree on this, but IMO it could be pretty simple. Get your ass up within a determined amount of time or get carted off and stay off for a determined amount of time.

BTW, betting on these games is really fucking stupid, but I'm doing it anyway. The draw really fucks everything up.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-06-20, 12:23

Nordic wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:Sure, it is annoying when people fake injuries, but it is because they're trying to draw cards or whatever, not just for the heck of it.  So it takes away from the game in a sportsmanship way, but it is hardly worthy of any extreme measures.  The refs just need to not fall for it.  Besides, how are you going to prove they're faking?  Because they're running after? How often do you see football players stay down injured only to sit out one play because they're forced to?  Happens a lot.  Sometimes knocks will take a minute to get over, to walk it off, or whatever.  

Maybe a solution would be if refs give a card because they think someone is injured, they can then rescind it if the player comes back and the ref feels he was hoodwinked.  However, usually (not always) cards are given based on the foul, not the injury.

We are obviously not going to agree on this, but IMO it could be pretty simple. Get your ass up within a determined amount of time or get carted off and stay off for a determined amount of time.

BTW, betting on these games is really fucking stupid, but I'm doing it anyway. The draw really fucks everything up.
That is basically how it is now. The wait time to come back on is not specifically set, but it's effectively the same as sitting out 1 play (5-6 seconds or so) in football. At least that's how I see it.

I'm not a betting man, and soccer makes me thankful for that. Betting on the World Cup group stage is like betting on the first round of the NCAA tournament. Worse, in a way, because poor teams can scratch and claw their way to a draw without doing anything at all offensively. At least in the NCAAs, you have to score a fair amount of baskets to pull an upset.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2018-06-20, 15:09

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Nordic wrote:

That is basically how it is now.  The wait time to come back on is not specifically set, but it's effectively the same as sitting out 1 play (5-6 seconds or so) in football.  At least that's how I see it.

I'm not a betting man, and soccer makes me thankful for that.  Betting on the World Cup group stage is like betting on the first round of the NCAA tournament.  Worse, in a way, because poor teams can scratch and claw their way to a draw without doing anything at all offensively.  At least in the NCAAs, you have to score a fair amount of baskets to pull an upset.

I think the difference between that and what we are saying is there needs to be stricter enforcement for carting guys off when they are rolling around on the ground... 5 seconds...10 seconds? I don't know what the right answer is. The other day a guy was rolling around on the ground like he stepped on a land mind and his leg exploded. No foul was called, play moved on to the other side of the field with the other team attacking. After he realized no one GAF he got up and sprinted down the field. He should of been sent off.

I particularly like when something grazes their face. Holy fuck. They check their hands for blood 20 times. No blood bro, you were barely touched. Note, I'm not taking about the head-to-head hits.

BTW did you see the Swiss guy get blasted in the face with a point blank shot? I think it was Neymar that struck it. That guy got right up. I have no idea how. But god forbid you get near his face with a blade of grass.

I know this beef outs me as a non-soccer enthusiast. I love the World Cup, but could give two shits after it is over. As a casual fan it drives me nuts every time. My kids were pointing it out over the weekend as well.

Rant over
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-06-20, 15:26

Fair enough, perhaps I'm just used to it enough that it doesn't take away from anything for me.

MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-06-20, 15:28

tSwill Official World Cup Thread - Page 3 Tenor
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-06-20, 15:30

This Spain Iran game is great.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2018-06-20, 15:37

Iran has came close a couple times now since Spain scored
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-06-20, 18:11

For Iran to have that goal disallowed for offsides had to have been a kick in the nuts for them. Absolutely the right call, but they spent a lot of emotion celebrating. Usually if there's even an outside chance of offsides, the goal scorer will take a glance to the linesman. He didn't. Neither did anyone else on their team. And they celebrated wildly what they thought was the biggest goal in their nation's history, for a long time before realizing that it was disallowed (easily the correct call). After that much of an emotional release, then to realize it was for nothing, that has to be tough.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2018-06-20, 23:24

MiamiSpartan wrote:For Iran to have that goal disallowed for offsides had to have been a kick in the nuts for them.  Absolutely the right call, but they spent a lot of emotion celebrating.  Usually if there's even an outside chance of offsides, the goal scorer will take a glance to the linesman.  He didn't.  Neither did anyone else on their team.  And they celebrated wildly what they thought was the biggest goal in their nation's history, for a long time before realizing that it was disallowed (easily the correct call).  After that much of an emotional release, then to realize it was for nothing, that has to be tough.

Total dick punch. But I mean...they guy that scored had to have known right? Our at least thought "man that was close, I'm just gonna run over here with my back to the ref, celebrate wildly and pretend I don't see him". Looked like his first touch might of been a hand ball too... but it might of just been the angle of the replay.

BTW, I had the perfect parlay today: Portugal -1, Spain -1, Uruguay -1. I consider a push a win.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-06-21, 12:04

Second half kicking off. Pulling for France to put this one away.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-06-21, 13:17

Bye Peru!
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-06-21, 15:16

Croats up 1-0 on Argentina. Still a lot of time to play (35 min, plus injury time as I type this). Come on, Croatia, hang the fuck on!
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-06-21, 15:33

I don't know much about soccer, but I know Argentina is in trouble.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-06-21, 15:40

Argies going down! 2-0 Croatia. Modric with a fucking brilliant strike.

MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-06-21, 15:44

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:I don't know much about soccer, but I know Argentina is in trouble.
In qualifying, they did shitty, too, and almost didn't qualify.  I think they won like their last 2 or 3 games to qualify, and in the last game when it was win or they were out, Messi got a hat trick.

So they still have another game, and could still have a good chance advance, if they win and other games in the group go their way.  But Argentina are going to be fucking skewered in the press.  They're going to have so much pressure on, I guess they could step up and destroy Nigeria, or they could fold.

Now Argentina are acting like little bitches getting frustrated.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-06-21, 15:47

Anyone remember when Messi was a little bitch 2 years ago after losing back-to-back Copa America finals (on top of a World Cup final loss) and said he wouldn't play for the national team again? Yeah, I bet he's wishing he hadn't gone back on that right about now.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-06-21, 15:51

3-0 CROATIA!

Argie fans in tears! Goal differential is going to be huge for Argentina's chances to advance, and even that's getting tougher for them.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-06-21, 16:06

That Croatian team looks legit. I’m hoping Nigeria crushes Iceland tomorrow.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2018-06-21, 16:36

Messy
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2018-06-21, 20:17

tSwill Official World Cup Thread - Page 3 3493939353 Late Croate goal got the over. Pushed the over two matches. I'm getting good at this.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-06-22, 09:59

Damn, Costa Rica almost got the draw against Brazil, but Brazil got two late, late goals. Neymar was, as usual, being a little bitch. Then after the game he's on his need just sobbing. Over a group stage win over Costa Rica. Yeesh. I know, hes under an immense amount of pressure if they don't win that game, but come on.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-06-22, 12:15

Hoping that Nigeria can hold on. 1-0

Iceland has had some good opportunities though.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-06-22, 12:34

2-0 baby!!!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-06-22, 12:34

Great friggin goal.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 16  Next