Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Y'all Been Watching The Dude on Jeopardy?

+23
NigelUno
MSU addict
Trapper Gus
Turtleneck
GRR Spartan
Floyd Robertson
pulling69
tGreenWay
Dendrobates
Travis of the Cosmos
WhiteBoyHatcher
InTenSity
Cameron
CORNER BLITZ
AvgMSUJoe
Nordic
duffy munn
MiamiSpartan
steveschneider
DWags
Watch Out Pylon!
Other Teams Pursuing That
Robert J Sakimano
27 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Y'all Been Watching The Dude on Jeopardy? Empty Y'all Been Watching The Dude on Jeopardy?

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-04-18, 12:06

comes across like a total dick, but he knows how to play the game.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Y'all Been Watching The Dude on Jeopardy? Empty Re: Y'all Been Watching The Dude on Jeopardy?

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-04-18, 12:27

I highly doubt the dude is on jeopardy.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Y'all Been Watching The Dude on Jeopardy? Empty Re: Y'all Been Watching The Dude on Jeopardy?

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-04-18, 12:40

I have not.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-04-18, 12:47

Guy is amazing. 137 grand in one game, 110 grand in another. Yesterday he went 40/40 questions right. He's a big time vegas gambler. I think he just does sports gambling for a living doesn't he? Obviously just an out and out genius of some sort or another. He's over 1 million dollars in 15 games. Not near Jennings record, but Jennings took 72 games to get to 2.7 million. This guy is on track to smash that.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-04-18, 13:12

Didn't the season just wrap up? How does it work, will they pick back up with him in September?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-04-18, 13:26

steveschneider wrote:Didn't the season just wrap up? How does it work, will they pick back up with him in September?

Worked with a girl who won 23K on jeopardy
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-04-18, 13:45

DWags wrote:Guy is amazing. 137 grand in one game, 110 grand in another. Yesterday he went 40/40 questions right. He's a big time vegas gambler. I think he just does sports gambling for a living doesn't he? Obviously just an out and out genius of some sort or another. He's over 1 million dollars in 15 games. Not near Jennings record, but Jennings took 72 games to get to 2.7 million. This guy is on track to smash that.
I've seen 3-4 of the episodes with him. The thing is, it isn't all about knowing the answer for him. I mean, yeah, he knows some obscure shit, but a big part of the reason he's blowing everyone out of the water must be down to his timing on buzzing in first. There are a lot of easy questions where everyone is pushing their button furiously, but he gets in first.

I notice that he also works the bottom of the board first. If he gets the higher value questions right early, that builds a lead, while leaving lower value questions on the board, which make a comeback more difficult. And, he bets a shit ton when he gets a daily double. I saw one where he had $20K early in the second round. His opponents each had $4K-$5K or so, I think. He bet all $20K. Of course, he got it right, but even if he had gotten it wrong, he probably figured that he could make up a few thousand dollars quickly enough. Must be that gambler's mentality.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-04-18, 14:08

Agree - obviously he's very bright and knows some very obscure things. But he also knows how to play "the game": very quick on the buzzer, goes on to the next clue before Alex can even finish what he's saying.. I do think there's almost an intimidation factor behind how he plays. He practically silences the other contestants just with his rhythm and very deliberate tactics.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2019-04-18, 17:44

I haven't seen him because Family Feud is on at the same time. I can't get enough of Steve Harvey.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-04-18, 19:25

duffy munn wrote:I haven't seen him because Family Feud is on at the same time. I can't get enough of Steve Harvey.

We're Gonna Play Steve!!!!
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-04-19, 12:26

Wife has an unhealthy relationship with judge Judy.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2019-04-19, 12:31

Dude is just murdering people. Other days final Jeopardy he bet 60k and would have still won even if he got the question wrong
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-04-19, 12:33

CORNER BLITZ wrote:Dude is just murdering people. Other days final Jeopardy he bet 60k and would have still won even if he got the question wrong
does Jeopardy have a limit on how many episodes/times a contestant can win??

I honestly don't see this guy losing for a long, long time - as we've mentioned, it's not that he's just smart - a lot of smart people go on Jeopardy - it's that he knows how to game the system.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2019-04-19, 19:36

Only way I see him losing is messing up a late daily double on the second round
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-04-19, 19:38

Apparently only one time in his run has anyone even had a mathematical possibility of beating him going in to final Jeopardy. I guess he's the master of the buzzer, and that is one of the most important things. He also bets very aggressively on daily doubles, gambling background and all. He's winning like double the amount of the average winner each time.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-04-23, 10:02

from a CNN article:

He has been on a winning streak on the game show which has entranced viewers.

Just last week Holzhauer broke the single-day record when he won $131,127, smashing his own record of $110,914 set the previous week.

he spoke to NPR about his strategy - some of what we've outlined here:

Holzhauer told NPR "All good professional gamblers are selectively aggressive."

"You need to pick your spots and bet big when you identify them," the contestant told NPR via email. "That's basically my 'Jeopardy' strategy in a nutshell."

And of course, you need money to make money.

"You need a decent-sized bankroll to bet for profit, which is why I start at the bottom of the board," Holzhauer said.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-04-24, 12:56

it took Ken Jennings 74 games to hit $2.5 million..

it's taken Holzhauer 14 games to eclipse $1 million - he's on track to surpass Jennings's total in 34 games. Shocked

good article here from Five Thirty Eight, complete with charts, graphs, and a fairly thorough analysis of his strategy.

Click Me

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-04-30, 11:37

dude had a close call last night - won by (I believe) 17 dollars.

I read somewhere that the guy who finished runner up to James last night had the highest total ever - in the history of Jeopardy - as a runner up.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2019-04-30, 12:21

Do the other contestants win anything, or do they go home empty handed?>
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-04-30, 12:38

InTenSity wrote:Do the other contestants win anything, or do they go home empty handed?>
I think they win $2,000 and $1,000 respectively for a 2nd and 3rd place finish.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-04-30, 12:42

InTenSity wrote:Do the other contestants win anything, or do they go home empty handed?>

So, I know a girl who won 23K on Jeopardy. She won the first game, then she came in second on the second day. She got 21K on the first day and 2K for coming in second.

She was also on "who wants to be a millionaire". She had won 125K and was down to her last lifeline. the qustion was "Gertrude Stein said there is no there there, what california town was she talking about?"

She phoned a friend. Her friend said she was pretty sure it was L.A. and so the girl I know said LA. She was wrong, it was Oakland. She got knocked down to 32K. We call her the game show ho. But she's won 55K on those shows.

In New York she had to take her own taxes out. In California on Jeopardy they took the taxes out.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-05-21, 12:06

Dude is approaching 2 million.. probably hit it by the end of this week/early next week.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-05-21, 13:13

I walked by a tv last night in a local store with Jeopardy on. Saw that this guy was up around $40k. Seemed about right.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-05-23, 21:08

Jeopardy James squeaked by tonight. Went into Final J with ONLY a $5400 lead. Of course he got the clue right and risked most of his stash to keep the streak alive.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2019-05-23, 23:11

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Jeopardy James squeaked by tonight. Went into Final J with ONLY a $5400 lead. Of course he got the clue right and risked most of his stash to keep the streak alive.

I turned it on a little way into double Jeopardy and he was trailing. The guy in the lead hit a daily double, but he only bet like 6k. He needed to copy James's strategy and go all in. If he did, he might have won. But James made a run and went into final ahead.

James in double Jeopardy is like Golden State in the third quarter. Bank on a big run.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-05-24, 07:32

Cameron wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Jeopardy James squeaked by tonight. Went into Final J with ONLY a $5400 lead. Of course he got the clue right and risked most of his stash to keep the streak alive.

I turned it on a little way into double Jeopardy and he was trailing. The guy in the lead hit a daily double, but he only bet like 6k. He needed to copy James's strategy and go all in. If he did, he might have won. But James made a run and went into final ahead.

James in double Jeopardy is like Golden State in the third quarter. Bank on a big run.
I can't decide if James is good for Jeopardy ratings or bad for Jeopardy ratings. I've started tuning in for different reasons than I previously did.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-05-24, 19:38

This is the first time I’ve watch bob. He’s pretty good.

Though it’s definitely good for jeopardy ratings Bob. We’re talking about jeopardy right now bob instead of not talking about jeopardy like normal.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2019-05-25, 10:09

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Cameron wrote:

I can't decide if James is good for Jeopardy ratings or bad for Jeopardy ratings. I've started tuning in for different reasons than I previously did.

We don’t usually watch it. But we’ve tuned in at times here and there to watch him. But I could also see other people getting tired of it too. I would be interested to see how the ratings have been.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-05-25, 10:26

Dendrobates wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: I can't decide if James is good for Jeopardy ratings or bad for Jeopardy ratings. I've started tuning in for different reasons than I previously did.

We don’t usually watch it. But we’ve tuned in at times here and there to watch him. But I could also see other people getting tired of it too. I would be interested to see how the ratings have been.

They’re going to have to dummy down the questions to beat this guy. I think I read ratings are up, but once he loses they’ll crash. Until they have him vs ken Jennings. I’ll watch that.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-06-03, 06:55

Rumored that dude loses in the episode that is scheduled to air tonight.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-06-03, 06:58

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Rumored that dude loses in the episode that is scheduled to air tonight.

Brilliant rumor or brilliant leak. Either way I’ll be watching.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-06-03, 07:47

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:Rumored that dude loses in the episode that is scheduled to air tonight.

exactly - my wife said the same thing.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-06-03, 07:53

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
DWags wrote:

exactly - my wife said the same thing.

So, once this hits facebook, if it hasn't already, I predict the highest ratings of a jeopardy show ever. Even if it's just a rumor.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2019-06-03, 08:31

He's $60k from breaking Jenning's record and he averages $70k a game.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-06-03, 09:22

InTenSity wrote:He's $60k from breaking Jenning's record and he averages $70k a game.
tune in tonight! Y'all Been Watching The Dude on Jeopardy? 2599972566
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-06-03, 09:35

Never heard of him. Good luck to him!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-06-03, 11:21

DON'T LOOK MAN...:
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-06-03, 11:24

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
DON'T LOOK MAN...:

Spoilers don’t open for me on mobile; haven’t for awhile now.
However, I read the article in the NYT on what happens today re: If he advances and how close to Jennings totals he is.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-06-03, 11:26

Won't be watching. Not a fan. But you guys have fun if you're into it.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2019-06-03, 13:33

He obviously took action out against himself....His final bet is super weak considering what he usually does. What a clown.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next