Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chernobyl Miniseries - HBO

+15
Heat Miser
MiamiSpartan
Travis of the Cosmos
Rocinante
Tim Wakefield
pulling69
StylesGShmooth
Clarett's Folly
aualum06
Other Teams Pursuing That
Death Roe
kingstonlake
Floyd Robertson
Nordic
Watch Out Pylon!
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Chernobyl Miniseries - HBO - Page 2 Empty Re: Chernobyl Miniseries - HBO

Post by pulling69 2019-05-21, 02:16

I like how the KGB uniform is a Members Only Jacket.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-05-21, 06:37

At the morgue they said, "Want to see what we'll dress him in?" I do! They dressed him up in formal wear, with his service cap. They couldn't get shoes on him because his feet had swelled up. They had to cut up the formal wear, too, because they couldn't get it on him, there wasn't a whole body to put it on. It was all — wounds. The last two days in the hospital — I'd lift his arm, and meanwhile the bone is shaking, just sort of dangling, the body has gone away from it. Pieces of his lungs, of his liver, were coming out of his mouth. He was choking on his internal organs. I'd wrap my hand in a bandage and put it in his mouth, take out all that stuff.

https://www.npr.org/books/titles/138350923/voices-from-chernobyl-the-oral-history-of-a-nuclear-disaster#excerpt

Fucking hell.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-05-21, 21:51

Jesus what a great mini series. Such a depressing aura about living in Russia during that era. The show does a great job of capturing the futility of it all.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-05-21, 21:52

25 years old and a chief engineer of a nuclear facility......
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2019-05-23, 18:01

Great stuff. I'm gonna hang on to my HBO sub just to see this thing through. Really bailing out the shitty GOT season
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-05-23, 18:08

Tim Wakefield wrote:Great stuff. I'm gonna hang on to my HBO sub just to see this thing through. Really bailing out the shitty GOT season

I was thinking to myself "I hope the shows portrayal of radiation exposure death wasn't accurate".  Jesus.

I mean at some point don't you just mercy kill em?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2019-05-23, 18:19

kingstonlake wrote:
Tim Wakefield wrote:Great stuff. I'm gonna hang on to my HBO sub just to see this thing through. Really bailing out the shitty GOT season

I was thinking to myself "I hope the shows portrayal of radiation exposure death wasn't accurate".  Jesus.

Reminds me of when the professor said: "Go any closer to that reactor and you'll be begging for a bullet" to the higher-ranking guy that's joined to his hip. Brutal portrayal
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-05-23, 18:25

Tim Wakefield wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Reminds me of when the professor said: "Go any closer to that reactor and you'll be begging for a bullet" to the higher-ranking guy that's joined to his hip. Brutal portrayal

Boris is his name. The high ranking comrade.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-05-23, 18:29

Tim Wakefield wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Yeah, Boris told the chopper pilot to fly over the reactor or he'll have him shot. Legasov tells the pilot if you fly over the core you'll be begging for that bullet in the morning.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2019-05-24, 00:01

I like the real penises, as opposed to the prosthetic ones in GoT. Swing that tiny real penis, miner man.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2019-05-24, 00:57

I just don't get the end game of the guy in charge at the plant and the 2 other guys ( Bryukhanov & Fomin) lying about the readings and everything. I understand the bureaucrats covering up to the press and everything, that's kinda how the Communist party rolled back then. The other guys though, were they just planning on leaving the reactor open and hoping it would eventually go away. They were all Nuclear Engineers, they had to know how bad that was.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-05-24, 01:15

StylesGShmooth wrote:I just don't get the end game of the guy in charge at the plant and the 2 other guys ( Bryukhanov & Fomin) lying about the readings and everything. I understand the bureaucrats covering up to the press and everything, that's kinda how the Communist party rolled back then. The other guys though, were they just planning on leaving the reactor open and hoping it would eventually go away. They were all Nuclear Engineers, they had to know how bad that was.

I don’t think they comprehended/wanted to know what actually happened, or it being even possible.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2019-05-24, 23:03

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
StylesGShmooth wrote:I just don't get the end game of the guy in charge at the plant and the 2 other guys ( Bryukhanov & Fomin) lying about the readings and everything. I understand the bureaucrats covering up to the press and everything, that's kinda how the Communist party rolled back then. The other guys though, were they just planning on leaving the reactor open and hoping it would eventually go away. They were all Nuclear Engineers, they had to know how bad that was.

I don’t think they comprehended/wanted to know what actually happened, or it being even possible.

Yeah, it’s kind of about the Soviet mindset. You should listen to the podcast. It’s good stuff.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-05-27, 22:36

Another uplifting episode of Chernobyl. Jesus H, each episode trumps the next.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2019-05-27, 23:58

pulling69 wrote:
Nordic wrote:Rewatching E2. Why do they always gotta show the dogs being left behind!?! Gets me every time.

You want the feels? After the people were forced to leave ALL their pets the army and police had go and kill all of them and bury them in pits due to the radiation. One of the guys that had to do it said something like "it was the hardest thing I had to do because the dogs made it so easy. They missed their people and just walked up to us and stood there."

Don't say I didn't warn you that this was coming....
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-05-28, 09:29

pulling69 wrote:
pulling69 wrote:

You want the feels? After the people were forced to leave ALL their pets the army and police had go and kill all of them and bury them in pits due to the radiation. One of the guys that had to do it said something like "it was the hardest thing I had to do because the dogs made it so easy. They missed their people and just walked up to us and stood there."

Don't say I didn't warn you that this was coming....

When the lady started going into labor on the park bench, I thought "ok, there is something positive, life goes on".

Neutral
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2019-05-28, 12:18

If the baby absorbed all the radiation in utero and the mother was left relatively unharmed why not just use an army of pregnant women to clean off "Masha?"
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-05-28, 12:51

Just caught up. Did they move this show to Sunday? That scene where they find the puppies.  Chernobyl Miniseries - HBO - Page 2 1362440668

And my wife is going to lose it when she see's the empty crib at the end.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2019-05-28, 13:21

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Just caught up. Did they move this show to Sunday? That scene where they find the puppies.  Chernobyl Miniseries - HBO - Page 2 1362440668

Yesterday was Sunday, homes.
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-05-28, 13:23

Clarett's Folly wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Just caught up. Did they move this show to Sunday? That scene where they find the puppies.  Chernobyl Miniseries - HBO - Page 2 1362440668

You sure about that, ese?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarett's Folly 2019-05-28, 13:27

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Clarett's Folly wrote:

Hahaha, I'm a dumbass. Focused on the day, missed typing "wasn't."
Clarett's Folly
Clarett's Folly
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-05-28, 13:34

Clarett's Folly wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Hahaha, I'm a dumbass. Focused on the day, missed typing "wasn't."

Lol. I checked at 9 last night and they had some other show on. Maybe I checked HBO West. Anyway, I'm all caught up now.

Ugh... listening to the podcast now. They left out some even more horrible shit. I guess one of the puppies survived getting shot. One of the liquidators noticed this and wanted to shoot it after it got dumped in the pit, but they didn't have any bullets left so they had to bury it alive. :(
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-05-28, 15:14

Chernobyl Miniseries - HBO - Page 2 Av3xq9hcrw031
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-05-28, 22:30

They gave the West Germans the "propaganda" radiation readings for the robot they needed. It lasted about 15 seconds......
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-05-29, 01:06

Floyd Robertson wrote:This is seriously the scariest shit that has ever happened on this planet. If you want to argue that the Holocaust was scarier, I won't stop you, but that's a different kind of scary to me.

I see people, supposed experts, advocating for the proliferation of nuclear energy all the time on Twitter. Scares the everloving fuck out me.

Sure, nuclear plants are safe they say.

ps. OTPT was right, This is great television.

I’d like to argue that coal is scarier on a magnitude of 1000x. Except it doesn’t make for a good 6 episode thriller. It’s killed way way way way way way more people than Chernobyl, or any nuclear disaster to date ever will.

I really like this show, but I’m really concerned about it’s societal impact. People tend to like to go the Floyd route, the “id rather we go with the thing I know will kill me and eventually does kill me than the thing that probably won’t kill me but it’s scary because I don’t understand it.”

I dunno. It’s a good show. I worry about it’s societal impact, particularly amongst easily impressionable boomers; depending on its wrap up. Maybe they’ll spend some time explaining how this type of thing happening isnt really going to happen now, or extrapolate that other types of energy kill way more people... Seems unlikely though.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2019-05-29, 20:24

Ya know, you would think they would've handled it better given that they had already gone through this.  

Kyshtym (September 29, 1957) In the years following World War II, the Soviet Union constructed dozens of covert facilities—many of them hastily and shoddily built—in an effort to strengthen their nuclear arsenal. One of these, the Mayak nuclear fuel processing plant in the Russian town of Ozyorsk, became the site of a major disaster when the cooling system in a waste storage tank failed, causing the dried radioactive material it contained to overheat and explode. A plume of deadly particles swelled above Ozyorsk and the surrounding region, eventually spanning some 300 square miles. A full week passed before the affected zone’s 10,000 residents were evacuated; because the plant was shrouded in secrecy, they received no explanation for their abrupt and permanent resettlement. By that time, reports had surfaced of mysterious ailments, including people’s skin sloughing off from exposed body parts.  Instead of acknowledging what had happened in the disaster’s aftermath, the Soviet government created the East-Ural Nature Reserve in the contaminated area and prohibited unauthorized access to it. In 1979, the Russian biologist and dissident Zhores Medvedev made waves by exposing the accident’s lasting effects, but it was not until 1990 that reports documenting the event were declassified. According to estimates, 200 people died of cancer because of exposure to radiation, and thousands more may have suffered from related illnesses. The Mayak incident has come to be associated with the nearby town of Kyshtym because Ozyorsk did not appear on any official maps at the time.  

Russians must be radioactive as fuck
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2019-05-29, 21:49

StylesGShmooth wrote:Ya know, you would think they would've handled it better given that they had already gone through this.  

Kyshtym (September 29, 1957) In the years following World War II, the Soviet Union constructed dozens of covert facilities—many of them hastily and shoddily built—in an effort to strengthen their nuclear arsenal. One of these, the Mayak nuclear fuel processing plant in the Russian town of Ozyorsk, became the site of a major disaster when the cooling system in a waste storage tank failed, causing the dried radioactive material it contained to overheat and explode. A plume of deadly particles swelled above Ozyorsk and the surrounding region, eventually spanning some 300 square miles. A full week passed before the affected zone’s 10,000 residents were evacuated; because the plant was shrouded in secrecy, they received no explanation for their abrupt and permanent resettlement. By that time, reports had surfaced of mysterious ailments, including people’s skin sloughing off from exposed body parts.  Instead of acknowledging what had happened in the disaster’s aftermath, the Soviet government created the East-Ural Nature Reserve in the contaminated area and prohibited unauthorized access to it. In 1979, the Russian biologist and dissident Zhores Medvedev made waves by exposing the accident’s lasting effects, but it was not until 1990 that reports documenting the event were declassified. According to estimates, 200 people died of cancer because of exposure to radiation, and thousands more may have suffered from related illnesses. The Mayak incident has come to be associated with the nearby town of Kyshtym because Ozyorsk did not appear on any official maps at the time.  

They are fine

Signed,
Comrade Travis
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2019-05-29, 22:16

Nordic wrote:

They are fine

Signed,
Comrade Travis

Can't get Generic Government Vice-Assistant Director's nice fancy suit all dirty with nuclear energy
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-05-29, 23:19

Nordic wrote:
StylesGShmooth wrote:Ya know, you would think they would've handled it better given that they had already gone through this.  

They are fine

Signed,
Comrade Travis

They’re no worse off than the millions coal put in the ground my potentially asthmatic friend.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-05-30, 05:09

Here we go....

We had a nice thread going....
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-05-30, 07:09

kingstonlake wrote:Here we go....

If you’re talking about this show without talking about the pluses or minuses of nuclear power.... well.... then no you didn’t have a nice thread at all it’s the whole fuckin point.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-05-30, 07:30

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:This is seriously the scariest shit that has ever happened on this planet. If you want to argue that the Holocaust was scarier, I won't stop you, but that's a different kind of scary to me.

I see people, supposed experts, advocating for the proliferation of nuclear energy all the time on Twitter. Scares the everloving fuck out me.

Sure, nuclear plants are safe they say.

ps. OTPT was right, This is great television.

I’d like to argue that coal is scarier on a magnitude of 1000x. Except it doesn’t make for a good 6 episode thriller. It’s killed way way way way way way more people than Chernobyl, or any nuclear disaster to date ever will.

I really like this show, but I’m really concerned about it’s societal impact. People tend to like to go the Floyd route, the “id rather we go with the thing I know will kill me and eventually does kill me than the thing that probably won’t kill me but it’s scary because I don’t understand it.”

I dunno. It’s a good show. I worry about it’s societal impact, particularly amongst easily impressionable boomers; depending on its wrap up. Maybe they’ll spend some time explaining how this type of thing happening isnt really going to happen now, or extrapolate that other types of energy kill way more people... Seems unlikely though.

Coal is a good argument, I guess. We've been burning coal for a long time because we didn't have the technology to generate mass quantities of electricity any other way. For a long time we didn't have the science to measure it's impact, either.

Here's what I know about complex systems, such as nuclear power. They eventually fail. Because we built them. When they fail, the fallout (pun intended) is catastrophic.

Related, I came across this on Twitter this morning. I hadn't heard it before.

[tw]1133414385794408448[/tw]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-05-30, 07:32

Anyway, back to the last episode. Anyone else think they spent too much time on animal control?

The egg catcher thing was a nice touch, though. Chernobyl Miniseries - HBO - Page 2 502811600
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-05-30, 08:24

Floyd Robertson wrote:Anyway, back to the last episode. Anyone else think they spent too much time on animal control?

The egg catcher thing was a nice touch, though. Chernobyl Miniseries - HBO - Page 2 502811600

That was rough. This series reminds me of a joke about Russian history. "Whatever event you are talking about you always have to add 'and then it got worse'".

I'm not sure what all they're going to show in the last episode. We know the IAEA conference will be highlighted with some flashbacks to the events leading up to the explosion. Other than that I'm not sure. I'm assuming they'll touch on building the sarcophagus. Probably the aftermath of Legasov's report and the events leading up to his suicide as well.

HBO could have expanded this to ten episodes and I would have gladly watched it all. Very well done show.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-05-30, 08:38

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:Anyway, back to the last episode. Anyone else think they spent too much time on animal control?

That was rough. This series reminds me of a joke about Russian history. "Whatever event you are talking about you always have to add 'and then it got worse'".

I'm not sure what all they're going to show in the last episode. We know the IAEA conference will be highlighted with some flashbacks to the events leading up to the explosion. Other than that I'm not sure. I'm assuming they'll touch on building the sarcophagus. Probably the aftermath of Legasov's report and the events leading up to his suicide as well.

HBO could have expanded this to ten episodes and I would have gladly watched it all. Very well done show.

I agree that five episodes is far too few. Ten or 12 would have been better.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-05-30, 18:35

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Here we go....

If you’re talking about this show without talking about the pluses or minuses of nuclear power.... well.... then no you didn’t have a nice thread at all it’s the whole fuckin point.

Could you do a deep dive on the "societal impact" of the mini series? Rolling Eyes
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-05-30, 20:36

So long gay brian
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2019-05-30, 23:57

Don’t spend too much time in UraVan, CO, OTPT
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-06-02, 09:53

Good article explaining some of the science involved, the mistakes in design that the Soviets made, and how US reactors were always made to contain the exposure in the case of a disaster, with Three Mile Island as a prime example (contained within the facility).

https://www.normantranscript.com/news/physicist-explains-science-of-chernobyl/article_75abf14a-84fb-11e9-a11e-9b7ca8c457a5.html
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2019-06-03, 09:31

MiamiSpartan wrote:Good article explaining some of the science involved, the mistakes in design that the Soviets made, and how US reactors were always made to contain the exposure in the case of a disaster, with Three Mile Island as a prime example (contained within the facility).

https://www.normantranscript.com/news/physicist-explains-science-of-chernobyl/article_75abf14a-84fb-11e9-a11e-9b7ca8c457a5.html

Do windfarms & solar arrays produce radioactive waste? Asking for a friend who says they cause cancer.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum