The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 6 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by tGreenWay on 2019-10-20, 17:03

The Pantry wrote:Hit Billy Sims BBQ for the first time today. Got a carryout assortment. Brisket and turkey were tasty but dry. Ribs were the same. The hot links were very good.

If I order and pay for the meal, can I return it?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 6 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2019-10-31, 10:49

Anybody ever tried BBQd camel?

[tw]1189914341279174657[/tw]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm on 2019-10-31, 10:50

Floyd Robertson wrote:Anybody ever tried BBQd camel?

Is it better than BBQd iguana?
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2019-10-31, 10:56

Jake from State Farm wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:Anybody ever tried BBQd camel?

I think the real point is to marvel at the rig in which you can BBQ an entire camel.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm on 2019-10-31, 11:03

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Jake from State Farm wrote:

I think the real point is to marvel at the rig in which you can BBQ an entire camel.

Well in that case, it could definitely be downsized.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2019-10-31, 11:07

5'10"
168 lbs
32X32
RHR = 42 bpm
BP = 116/76 mmHg

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2019-11-02, 15:25

Today I am making Nashville hot fried chicken. My son has been asking where we can get it since we visited Nashville. As far as I can tell, you can't around here (KFC does not count). So here we go.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2019-11-02, 15:47

Deep fried or pan fried? Recipe?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2019-11-02, 16:32

Co-worker's wife is from Philly so they go there often to visit family.  He claims to be a Philly cheesesteak aficionado after hitting all the well known places there.  He was complaining yesterday morning that no Michigan restaurant makes a decent cheesesteak and that most add green pepper.  I mentioned Lefty's and he said he'd never heard of it.

Since their Sterling Heights location is only 2-3 miles from work he went there to pick up lunch.  Picked up a reuben for me.

Said it was the best cheesesteak he's had in Michigan but that the roll/bun was softer than original Philly's, which supposedly have a crusty exterior.

The reuben was okay but not great.  Much better ones around here.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 6 20191110
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2019-11-02, 23:29

This was one of the best things I've cooked in recent memory. The boy said it was better than Hattie B's, I kind of agreed. I used the epicurious recipe. I used one chicken and halved the recipe except for the finishing glaze. I used about 3/4 of it on the single bird. We enjoy the heat and it brought it.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/nashville-style-hot-chicken-51236260
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2019-11-03, 00:07

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 6 49003277346_b7e4dbd5ce_c

4'6
14000/3
15 BPM
I bench 12 donuts
Pizza is good
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2019-11-03, 05:38

Looks great.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2019-11-24, 13:35

Haven't had a Bloody Mary in a while so decided to whip one up.

6 ounces Arrabbiata sauce
2 teaspoons of Wizards Worcestershire
Celtic sea salt
Fresh cracked black pepper
Pinch finely chopped parsley
Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
Vodka to taste (glass says Ketel One but used my favorite, Finlandia)

Very good drink. Arrabbiata is quite spicy and a perfect substitute for tomato juice and Tabasco/hot sauce. Wizards makes Lea & Perrins taste like gasoline.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 6 20191115
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm on 2019-12-16, 11:33

Thinking about doing a rib roast for Christmas dinner.  Ten people to feed and I'd be cooking it in my crappy gas oven and then transporting it to my son's house.

Any suggestions on what to look for and how to cook it.

Any suggestions on a new oven are appreciated too. Bought the one I have four years ago and my wife has hated it ever since the first time she turned it on. Cooked a turkey on thanksgiving. The breast and one leg were cooked just fine, the other leg was still raw.

I suppose I could be like the Peloton guy and buy her a new stove for Christmas. I'd have to run 220 to it so it's not an easy replacement.

Edit: Found this recipe for the roast. Salt-Encrusted Prime Rib
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict on 2019-12-16, 15:27

Jake from State Farm wrote:Thinking about doing a rib roast for Christmas dinner.  Ten people to feed and I'd be cooking it in my crappy gas oven and then transporting it to my son's house.

Any suggestions on a new oven are appreciated too. Bought the one I have four years ago and my wife has hated it ever since the first time she turned it on. Cooked a turkey on thanksgiving. The breast and one leg were cooked just fine, the other leg was still raw.

I suppose I could be like the Peloton guy and buy her a new stove for Christmas. I'd have to run 220 to it so it's not an easy replacement.

I know several people here will probably recommend "method X" but I have never gone wrong following J. Kenji López-Alt's advice.

The Food Lab's Definitive Guide to Prime Rib

As for a stove recommendation I have always preferred a gas range.  We recently bought a new house and due to several factors it was not a feasible option.  I can tell you that it only cost me $275.00 to have an electrician run a new 50 amp 4 wire stove outlet, but the cost depends on a number of factors (length of line, available slots in your panel, etc).  I went with an induction range because I like to cook and generally dislike electric ranges. But due to the high cost, I would not recommend one for most people.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2019-12-16, 16:22

+1 on Serious Eats. It's the best way to minimize the gray. That should be your goal. If you cook it to the proper temp for your company and minimize the gray, pat yourself on the back.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2019-12-16, 17:31

Jake from State Farm wrote:Thinking about doing a rib roast for Christmas dinner.  Ten people to feed and I'd be cooking it in my crappy gas oven and then transporting it to my son's house.

Did an 8# on the Weber rotisserie couple months ago. Sea salt and fresh-cracked black pepper only. Was delicious but will admit it was a little overdone. Going to try Method X sometime over the holidays.

Not sure what your beef is with gas. Beats the hell out of electric in my experience.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm on 2019-12-16, 19:29

The Pantry wrote:

Did an 8# on the Weber rotisserie couple months ago. Sea salt and fresh-cracked black pepper only. Was delicious but will admit it was a little overdone. Going to try Method X sometime over the holidays.

Not sure what your beef is with gas. Beats the hell out of electric in my experience.

I've got no problem with a gas range, I think it's more to do with there not being a consistent temperature throughout the oven, it's a Frigidaire btw. I'm looking at gas convection ovens as a replacement.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 on 2019-12-16, 21:55

Method X just works, and it is delicious, and it is easy. If you mess it up doing Method X you need to give up cooking.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2019-12-17, 07:31

Made a shepherds pie the other night. Took a few hours. I know everyone is into a time saving kitchen idea but there’s something really satisfying about a nice slow food project and enjoying a few drinks while you put all the pieces together. Also, got to use the kitchen aid mixer for the mash which is always nice.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 on 2019-12-24, 16:29

2019 version The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 6 Img_2038
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2019-12-24, 16:38

You're a fudge packer? Wink
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 on 2019-12-24, 16:43

The Pantry wrote:You're a fudge packer? Wink

Only the creamy stuff
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2019-12-24, 16:43

aualum06 wrote:2019 version The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 6 Img_2038

Oh man. Warm with a scoop of Vanilla please.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 on 2019-12-29, 18:24

aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm on 2019-12-29, 18:36

Making me a sammich out of leftover prime rib. Got it in the oven heating up, I have fresh buns, horseradish, provolone cheese and some mustard.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2019-12-29, 18:37

I’ll do that this week. I made this today. Waiting for family to get back from ford field to eat it.

https://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/6979166/rustic-italian-tortellini-soup-recipe/AMP/
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 on 2019-12-29, 18:38

Jake from State Farm wrote:Making me a sammich out of leftover prime rib. Got it in the oven heating up, I have fresh buns, horseradish, provolone cheese and some mustard.

I forgot to look in Meijer yesterday to see about trying the recipe posted in this thread
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2020-01-04, 19:56

Tried Amar Pizza.  Got a deluxe (pepperoni, mushrooms, onions, green pepper) and a pizza they call Spice (spicy ground beef, green chilis, onions, cilantro).  Both were pretty good.  Very good crust.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2020-01-05, 01:27

I have tried Amar. They are decent. I prefer pork pepperoni but I won't hold it against them. I don't get too into the tandoori pizzas and all of that. I'm more traditional.

We went to Como's tonight for dinner. They are exclusively Detroit style now. I thought it was very good. I would still give the nod to Buddy's. I have to say, I think Crispelli's currently does the best Detroit style in the area.

Also I just bought a 36" Blackstone. I need something else to fuck around with and this won. I probably will mostly use it to cook chicken breasts and thighs but we'll see.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2020-01-05, 02:36

Interesting.  Didn't notice the pepperoni was not pork.

Haven't been to Como's yet.  My kids and SIL have and were not that impressed, claiming the food was okay but overpriced.  My in-laws owned Como's in the mid 50's.  They're the ones that originally named it.  Still consider Loui's the best Detroit.

Have a 17" Blackstone.  Makes pretty good burgers.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2020-01-08, 23:53

I've been to Loui's a dozen times. I've honestly never had a pizza there as good as the worst one I've had at Buddy's. And I'm not a Buddy's shill, they are chaining out like crazy and bound to lose quality. I'm gonna rock out with Crispellis square right now, Italian sausage and pepperoni is going to be really hard to beat. Comos was very good but not other worldly. I read a lot about the head chef studying all kinds of Detroit style recipes and coming up with his best of all worlds recipe. It was very good but back to the drawing board my man. Buddy's, Detroit Style Pizza Co, Crispellis and Louis all have you beat right now.

I am enjoying the Blackstone. Seasoned the hell out of it. Cooked sirloin steak sandwiches for my oldest tonight. It's a lot of fun. I ordered the hard cover and the soft cover for it.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2020-01-11, 16:17

Current owner of Como's is a company called Peas & Carrots Hospitality.  A former P&C employee recently bought Amici's Pizza, not far from Crispelli's.

Liked Amar pizza well enough to pick up another one yesterday.  Just a deluxe...very good dough/crust.  Maybe when I was younger but my gut isn't up to exploring any of their Indian versions now.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2020-01-18, 08:51

Not Buddy's or Loui's but the Troy Buscemi's makes a pretty decent Detroit style.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 6 Buscem11
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2020-01-18, 09:28

Is Buscemi’s one family empire or has it become like a corporate chain?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2020-01-18, 17:24

Pretty sure all the stores are franchised now. The Troy location was run by one of the family when it first opened. Was different than most of the stores and set up more like an Italian import grocery store. Didn't do that well and closed. Re-opened a year or two later under new ownership. They rearranged the place and made it a party store. Place appears to be a gold mine now.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2020-01-19, 01:23

I am currently trying to make a pizza on the Blackstone. We'll see how it goes.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2020-01-19, 02:17

There’s a chain restaurant (shocking) coming into one of the new high rises in downtown EL. It’s called Barrio. Looks to be a Mexican fusion place. It will go in off Albert, sort of across from the Grove Street 7-11. I think they’ll be open this spring, so, within a few months.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That on 2020-02-16, 22:37

I had a pork shoulder in a crockpot today for about 7 hours on low today and some parts are dark/pink. That has to be the seasoning, right?
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That on 2020-02-16, 22:38

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 6 819aa110
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 6 5ccb3310
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum