Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hurricane Dorian

+14
The Pantry
I.B. Fine
DWags
Floyd Robertson
WhiteBoyHatcher
Watch Out Pylon!
Jake from State Farm
Robert J Sakimano
kingstonlake
tGreenWay
steveschneider
Other Teams Pursuing That
InTenSity
MiamiSpartan
18 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Hurricane Dorian - Page 2 Empty Re: Hurricane Dorian

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-09-01, 11:53

MiamiSpartan wrote:Holy fuck, this thing is powerful, as it is starting to hit the Bahamas. 180mph maximum sustained winds. 180mph! And it is moving so damn slow, just adding hours and hours to the time that the winds will be battering those poor people in the Bahamas.
Not a lot of construction designed to withstand 180mph, I think code in FL is 120, that's an exponential difference.
Sure hope people in the path are taking all precautions
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-09-01, 12:12

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I've heard some rumblings that some models are saying it might not be headed up the coast after all and might hit FL. Any news on that?
The stuff from rivals? That's not a likely scenario. That thread claimed yesterday that the NHC info was 48 hours old and that their info had it hitting just North of Miami. What they are probably talking about is one model out of dozens that show a different track. There are always ouylier models, and things can always change, so we are still keeping an eye on it, but no one is freaking out.

Edit: I should point out that there is still a decent chance that it will hit further up the coast of Florida, or at least be close enough to be a big problem for some. Palm Beach county has issued coastal evacuations, but it probably will get closest to the coast a little further up from that.

Last edited by MiamiSpartan on 2019-09-01, 12:27; edited 2 times in total
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-09-01, 12:22

I.B. Fine wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:Holy fuck, this thing is powerful, as it is starting to hit the Bahamas. 180mph maximum sustained winds. 180mph! And it is moving so damn slow, just adding hours and hours to the time that the winds will be battering those poor people in the Bahamas.
Not a lot of construction designed to withstand 180mph, I think code in FL is 120, that's an exponential difference.
Sure hope people in the path are taking all precautions
The code varies by county. 120-150 is the case for most of the state. I know that most of the state has weaker codes than South Florida, which I think are currently around 175mph in Miami-Dade county, and just under that in Broward county (Ft Lauderdale). Miami codes strengthened a lot after Andrew, and have strengthened more in the last 10 years.

But in the Bahamas, like most of the Caribbean, only the wealthy have anything close to even "average" hurricane protection.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-09-01, 12:42

MiamiSpartan wrote:
The code varies by county. 120-150 is the case for most of the state. I know that most of the state has weaker codes than South Florida, which I think are currently around 175mph in Miami-Dade county, and just under that in Broward county (Ft Lauderdale). Miami codes strengthened a lot after Andrew, and have strengthened more in the last 10 years.

But in the Bahamas, like most of the Caribbean, only the wealthy have anything close to even "average" hurricane protection.
Irma was close to this strength when it hit the BVIs, looked like a giant scrub brush had scoured those islands clean, and those islands are hilly, not flat like the Bahamas
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-09-01, 13:29

.."it seems to me you live your life like a candle in the wind"..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-09-01, 16:46

185 mph winds...wow!
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2019-09-01, 18:50

What an idiot.
President dumbfuck wrote:"We don't even know what's coming at us. All we know is it's possibly the biggest. I have -- I'm not sure that I've ever even heard of a Category 5. I knew it existed. And I've seen some Category 4's -- you don't even see them that much," Trump said at a briefing with officials at FEMA's headquarters in Washington, DC.
"But a Category 5 is something that -- I don't know that I've ever even heard the term other than I know it's there. That's the ultimate, and that's what we have unfortunately," he added, in reference to Hurricane Dorian
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-09-01, 19:06

InTenSity wrote:What an idiot.
President dumbfuck wrote:"We don't even know what's coming at us. All we know is it's possibly the biggest. I have -- I'm not sure that I've ever even heard of a Category 5. I knew it existed. And I've seen some Category 4's -- you don't even see them that much," Trump said at a briefing with officials at FEMA's headquarters in Washington, DC.
"But a Category 5 is something that -- I don't know that I've ever even heard the term other than I know it's there. That's the ultimate, and that's what we have unfortunately," he added, in reference to Hurricane Dorian
Yuge. Only the biggest hurricanes hitting my merica.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-09-01, 19:15

The guy is getting dumber every day.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-09-01, 19:19

I mean, there was literally a Category 5 that hit the very country that he is in charge of just last year....it even hit an area with a high concentration of his supporters.

The year before, there were two other hurricanes that reached Cat 5, both of which hit the US mainland (though not as Cat 5s when they hit the US, Dorian won't be when it hits the US either).

And that's IF he's never heard of storms that became household names like Andrew and Katrina. This guy, sheesh.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2019-09-01, 20:18

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:The guy is getting dumber every day.

If that's even possible. He either has to be the biggest troll ever or he is actually that dumb.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-09-01, 20:39

I.B. Fine wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Irma was close to this strength when it hit the BVIs, looked like a giant scrub brush had scoured those islands clean, and those islands are hilly, not flat like the Bahamas

Yep, all except for Anegada, which is entirely flat. Irma was headed straight at the island but skipped south just enough to spare it. Not that there was much there, anyway, but still... I was there for a wedding once and we made friends of a few locals. I was very happy to hear they’d been spared the worst of Irma. I read where the entire BVI was depopulated nearly 12% after that cat 5.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-09-01, 20:57

You've been to Anegada? Cow Wreck Beach is probably my favorite spot, I think they reopened within a couple weeks
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-09-01, 21:00

I.B. Fine wrote:You've been to Anegada? Cow Wreck Beach is probably my favorite spot, I think they reopened within a couple weeks

Seriously? You’ve been there? That’s such a remote island, the odds of two of us on this board having been there must be enormous. Hurricane Dorian - Page 2 1966794946
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-09-01, 21:07

someone must've told him it was gonna be Stormy.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-09-02, 00:15

Shocked

[tw]1168362917718364160[/tw]
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-09-02, 09:16

tGreenWay wrote:Shocked

This is not real
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2019-09-02, 09:24

DWags wrote:

This is not real

Agreed fake for internet glory
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-09-02, 14:20

DWags wrote:

This is not real

More or less believable than someone suggesting nuking a hurricane?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-09-02, 16:43

DWags wrote:

This is not real

I hope so, and it certainly crossed my mind. However, as Pylon mentioned, who would have ever thought a POTUS would suggest nuking a hurricane?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-09-02, 16:48

Haven’t had a chance to listen to any meteorologist in the past couple of days, but something one of them said on Saturday seems to be happening: Because Dorian moved so slowly as it battered the Bahamas as a Cat 5, it was able to churn up a lot of deep, cool water, so that as it continued its path, it started to lose some of its strength. No idea what happens now, but it was dropped to a Cat 4. Still a huge storm, but a small win is still a win.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-09-02, 17:04

The coverage of this thing has lasted longer than a Vegas marriage.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-09-02, 18:41

Stalled. Hardly moving and tearing up the northern Bahamas for almost a day. Prayers for all there.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-09-02, 18:51

Robert J Sakimano wrote:The coverage of this thing has lasted longer than a Vegas marriage.

That’s because it’s not moving, or moving at a snail’s pace. I’ve seen graphics showing the storm was moving at 1mph, and not at all. Two hours ago cnn had “N” where the speed should be because that sob was just hovering in place.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-09-02, 18:58

So, saw something's on Twitter claiming to be second story windows with waves breaking on them... Meaning ever single story hovel is under water and everyone is dead. I hope that wasn't real.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-09-02, 18:59

Robert J Sakimano wrote:The coverage of this thing has lasted longer than a Vegas marriage.

Twitter again... Someone said it's like being stalked by a turtle.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-09-02, 19:58

AvgMSUJoe wrote:So, saw something's on Twitter claiming to be second story windows with waves breaking on them... Meaning ever single story hovel is under water and everyone is dead. I hope that wasn't real.
so.. the answer is blowin' in the wind?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-09-02, 20:00

tGreenWay wrote:

That’s because it’s not moving, or moving at a snail’s pace. I’ve seen graphics showing the storm was moving at 1mph, and not at all. Two hours ago cnn had “N” where the speed should be because that sob was just hovering in place.
sounds like the kind of event where the average member at the RCMB tailgate could be a storm "chaser".
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-09-02, 20:36

AvgMSUJoe wrote:So, saw something's on Twitter claiming to be second story windows with waves breaking on them... Meaning ever single story hovel is under water and everyone is dead. I hope that wasn't real.
I heard potential 30 foot storm surge in the Bahamas, anyone that wasn't in a 3rd floor of a concrete building was not smart.
Huge hurricane hit Galveston turn of the last century, if I remember right, over 2000 died, many drownwd inside their homes, trapped against the ceiling. You don't fuck around with storms like this
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-09-02, 20:43

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

sounds like the kind of event where the average member at the RCMB tailgate could be a storm "chaser".

Even at zero miles per hour, that might be a little too much exertion for those guys.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-09-02, 20:45

I.B. Fine wrote:
I heard potential 30 foot storm surge in the Bahamas, anyone that wasn't in a 3rd floor of a concrete building was not smart.
Huge hurricane hit Galveston turn of the last century, if I remember right, over 2000 died, many drownwd inside their homes, trapped against the ceiling. You don't fuck around with storms like this

Thought I heard the entire island was covered by storm surge. Not sure a lot of locals have access to a third floor.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine 2019-09-02, 20:50

tGreenWay wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

Thought I heard the entire island was covered by storm surge. Not sure a lot of locals have access to a third floor.
If you decided against evacuation, that's a long time to tread water.
When Irma hit BVIs I know Soper's Hole had around a 25' surge. Saw pictures of a 60 ft cat upside down on top of a building. At least it was obvious where that one went, still found nothing but pieces of others
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2019-09-02, 21:31

Where do you guys think these people are going? There is no where to evacuate from and being poor probably means hanging onto the bridge.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-09-02, 23:03

InTenSity wrote:Where do you guys think these people are going? There is no where to evacuate from and being poor probably means hanging onto the bridge.
Exactly, these are flat islands, too, without the mountains you see in much of the rest of the Caribbean. Abaco and Grand Bahama Island are pretty much entirely 20 feet or less in elevation. And on top of the 20+ foot storm surge, you can add rainfall of up to 30 inches.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-09-02, 23:07

Are you guys seeing storms and shit like that? The radar makes it seem like there are red spaces hitting FL at this point, and perhaps even the outer edges causing storms on the gulf. Maybe north of where you are.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2019-09-03, 00:58

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Are you guys seeing storms and shit like that? The radar makes it seem like there are red spaces hitting FL at this point, and perhaps even the outer edges causing storms on the gulf. Maybe north of where you are.

Drove thru some nasty stuff in Palm Beach today. Not too bad in Miami though.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-09-03, 06:30

Just watched The Weather Channel. Compared to what they were forecasting last week, it's looking better for the US.

The prayers are working.. keep praying!
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by gomersbro 2019-09-03, 07:07

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Just watched The Weather Channel. Compared to what they were forecasting last week, it's looking better for the US.

Bob watching the main stream media--the apocalypse is near.
gomersbro
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-09-03, 07:38

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Are you guys seeing storms and shit like that? The radar makes it seem like there are red spaces hitting FL at this point, and perhaps even the outer edges causing storms on the gulf. Maybe north of where you are.
We've had, and will continue to have, some outer bands pass through, but they've been nothing to speak of.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2019-09-03, 07:49

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Just watched The Weather Channel. Compared to what they were forecasting last week, it's looking better for the US.

Don't you have to include "thoughts" with that, or is that only necessary after a mass shooting?
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next