Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) Still Edition Thread

4 posters

Go down

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) Still Edition Thread  Empty tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) Still Edition Thread

Post by Floyd Robertson 1/16/2020, 9:03 am

Use this thread for political/cultural stuff you learned.

American history textbooks can differ across the country, in ways that are shaded by partisan politics.

Like, different states have different versions of textbooks with different explanations of U.S. history. I must be dumb to think we were all learning from the same American playbook.

History isn't black and white, of course, but I'd have thought the textbooks would be expansive enough to cover both sides of complicated issues instead of teaching disparate regional viewpoints.

The (CA vs. TX) textbooks cover the same sweeping story, from the brutality of slavery to the struggle for civil rights. The self-evident truths of the founding documents to the waves of immigration that reshaped the nation.

The books have the same publisher. They credit the same authors. But they are customized for students in different states, and their contents sometimes diverge in ways that reflect the nation’s deepest partisan divides.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) Still Edition Thread  Empty Re: tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) Still Edition Thread

Post by Banks2Mason 1/16/2020, 11:12 am

I mean, this isn't new. I'm sure one room school houses in the South were teaching a "different" version of the Civil War than those in MI back in 1890s.
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) Still Edition Thread  Empty Re: tOfficial: "Today I Learned" (TIL) Still Edition Thread

Post by Turtleneck 1/16/2020, 11:18 am

1890s? Did you mean 2020?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason 1/16/2020, 11:26 am

Turtleneck wrote:1890s? Did you mean 2020?

lol sadly, it might even apply more now. the denying of reality is strong in the stupids.
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 1/16/2020, 11:31 am

Banks2Mason wrote:I mean, this isn't new. I'm sure one room school houses in the South were teaching a "different" version of the Civil War than those in MI back in 1890s.

I would have thought we'd evolved in the last 130 years. Again, I've been under a rock.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 1/16/2020, 11:57 am

Republicans don't care about government spending unless the spending in question is done by a colored boy from Kenya and might actually benefit other colored people.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason 1/16/2020, 12:39 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Republicans don't care about government spending unless the spending is done by anyone not a republican and might actually benefit literally anyone.

fify
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down