Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread

+26
Bill Cain
CORNER BLITZ
The Pantry
aualum06
Tim Wakefield
MattyFresh
Robert J Sakimano
I.B. Fine
Jake from State Farm
Nordic
SawGreen
MiamiSpartan
AvgMSUJoe
steveschneider
Rocinante
DWags
Banks2Mason
Watch Out Pylon!
Other Teams Pursuing That
InTenSity
WhiteBoyHatcher
kingstonlake
Floyd Robertson
tGreenWay
Death Roe
Cameron
30 posters

Page 2 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next

Go down

tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-01-13, 12:40

InTenSity wrote:Just to nerd out real quick. There is no official joker origin story, or there are tons of them. None of them the same. There was a book I read a long time ago, joker stories or something like that, probably 5 origin stories. What I got off of the movie is that the joker origins come from the current societies flaws.
The Gotham TV series had it's own Joker origin story. I remember googling when I was watching the show, and seeing what you said, that there is no canon origin story. Even the Joker's real name is different in all of them, IIRC?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-01-13, 12:40

kingstonlake wrote:Watched The Russian Five. Pretty good even though we know 90% of it already. One thing was clear. Darren McCarty was tweaking during his interviews. Pretty sad.
Is that available on one of the streaming services, or where did you watch it?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-01-13, 12:41

tGreenWay wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Can’t believe i just watched shutter island in full a week ago. Where the fuck have i been? Great film. Wish i read the book first, but I’m reading it now.

Book was really good. Pretty much can’t go wrong with anything Dennis Lehane writes.

I’m not a big fan of watching movie then book but of course i find out after the fact. This was so good i said fuck it why not. Any specific ones by Dennis stick out to you?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason 2020-01-13, 12:43

MiamiSpartan wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Watched The Russian Five. Pretty good even though we know 90% of it already. One thing was clear. Darren McCarty was tweaking during his interviews. Pretty sad.
Is that available on one of the streaming services, or where did you watch it?

it's available to rent on amazon, there's where i saw it.
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-01-13, 13:17

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Can’t believe i just watched shutter island in full a week ago. Where the fuck have i been? Great film. Wish i read the book first, but I’m reading it now.

That the one where DiCaprio is the crazy guy on a mental ward on an island right? But he thinks he's an investigator?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-01-13, 14:08

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Book was really good. Pretty much can’t go wrong with anything Dennis Lehane writes.

I’m not a big fan of watching movie then book but of course i find out after the fact. This was so good i said fuck it why not. Any specific ones by Dennis stick out to you?

Gone Baby Gone. Do the book before the movie. A couple more with titles I’m forgetting. I’ll add a couple more after I look at his work.

Edit: Give Shutter Island a long rest and then go back to the book.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-01-13, 14:56

tGreenWay wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Gone Baby Gone. Do the book before the movie. A couple more with titles I’m forgetting. I’ll add a couple more after I look at his work.

I liked the historic (Coughlin) series about the Boston cops/mobsters... Live by Night? Maybe?... That wasn't the first though. Can't remember. Look it up, worth it.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-01-13, 14:57

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I liked the historic (Coughlin) series about the Boston cops/mobsters... Live by Night? Maybe?... That wasn't the first though. Can't remember. Look it up, worth it.

Not familiar with it, but will take a look. Thanks.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-01-13, 15:47

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

That the one where DiCaprio is the crazy guy on a mental ward on an island right? But he thinks he's an investigator?

Correct!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-01-13, 17:51

Banks2Mason wrote:

lol wut? tweaking?

He was acting like one of those suspects in 48hrs that’s been using for 3 days straight. Thinned out, fidgety, talking with his hands.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason 2020-01-14, 13:21

kingstonlake wrote:
Banks2Mason wrote:

lol wut? tweaking?

He was acting like one of those suspects in 48hrs that’s been using for 3 days straight. Thinned out, fidgety, talking with his hands.

well, he probably has brain damage from playing hockey most of his life.

he's also pretty famously off booze and is in the weed business bc he credits it for saving his life.
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-01-14, 17:13

Banks2Mason wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

he's also pretty famously off booze and is in the weed business bc he credits it for saving his life.

He’s a good guy, and funny. Wife had him in for a conference and he autographed a bunch of photos of himself beating the crap out of Lemieux. Wrote on it: “Lemieux deserved it.” tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread - Page 2 502811600
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-01-15, 15:37

DEATH ROE ARE YA WITH ME

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-01-15, 17:37

Fury Road was okay. Nothing special. Very little story and constant fighting with average special effects, except when they computer enhanced the fire from the explosions. That was dreadful. Zoe Kravitz was looking mighty nice, though.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-01-15, 17:48

tGreenWay wrote:Fury Road was okay. Nothing special. Very little story and constant fighting with average special effects, except when they computer enhanced the fire from the explosions. That was dreadful. Zoe Kravitz was looking mighty nice, though.

You had to see it i the theater. It was wild.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-01-15, 18:04

tGreenWay wrote:
Banks2Mason wrote:

He’s a good guy, and funny. Wife had him in for a conference and he autographed a bunch of photos of himself beating the crap out of Lemieux. Wrote on it: “Lemieux deserved it.” tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread - Page 2 502811600
That's fucking awesome. Nearly brings a tear to the eye.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2020-01-15, 19:59

I still watch "The Curse of Oak Island" pretty religiously, but I've mastered watching an episode with the FF button so that I can watch it in 10 minutes. And, every time that I watch it, I fantasize about putting on a 1-man parody of it. There is so much material, and each character is unique.

Robert Clotworthy-Narrator
Water? At 50 feet? On an island surrounded by the ocean?

Marty Lagina
Toss in a heavy Northern Michigan accent.

Rick Lagina
Keep digging !!!

Jack Begley
Arms up to armpits in mud, carries shovel for Gary Drayton.

Gary Drayton (Metal Detection Expert)
Top pocket !! Bobby Dazzler.

Billy Gerhardt (Heavy Equipment Operator)
I want a scene where he's sitting around the table and just floats away like he's in his backhoe.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2020-01-16, 18:19

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:DEATH ROE ARE YA WITH ME

Boner Jams 2020
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-01-17, 01:09

Watched part 1 of the Aaron Hernandez documentary on NF. Honestly he reminds me a lot of Da Mayor. Clearly a closeted homosexual.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-01-17, 02:14

Started The Outsider. Episode 1 was good. As deadpan funny as Jason Bateman can be, he also does the low key creepy guy pretty well, too.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-01-17, 11:09

tGreenWay wrote:Started The Outsider. Episode 1 was good. As deadpan funny as Jason Bateman can be, he also does the low key creepy guy pretty well, too.

Uh, yeah. Did you see Juno?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-01-17, 11:13

Finishing the Mandalorian. meh.. Ok.

Watching season 1 of "His Dark Materials" from HBO... I loved the books so I am probably not the best judge of how it's pretty damn good... but it's pretty damn good.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-01-17, 11:16

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Finishing the Mandalorian. meh.. Ok.

Watching season 1 of "His Dark Materials" from HBO... I loved the books so I am probably not the best judge of how it's pretty damn good... but it's pretty damn good.

That’s interesting because I watched the first episode and I thought it was horrible.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-01-17, 11:28

Dark Materials? Pretty much followed the book. (of course I read the books a decade ago) Huh. What did you not like about it?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-01-17, 11:42

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Watched part 1 of the Aaron Hernandez documentary on NF. Honestly he reminds me a lot of Da Mayor. Clearly a closeted homosexual.

Watched the whole thing. Totally a closeted homosexual. To bad about feeling he had to be in the closet. The last part they show you his brain next to a normal 27 year old. Wow. Fucked up and scary. The doctor said his CTE probably started at 17. It lets you judge whether it caused his impulse to kill Odom and probably the other two.

The linebacker from Wisconsin who quit his rookie year in the NFL is really impressive. And the part where he said the whole Wisconsin line would stand with their pants down getting pain injections before games blew me away. Wow.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason 2020-01-17, 11:43

DWags wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Watched part 1 of the Aaron Hernandez documentary on NF. Honestly he reminds me a lot of Da Mayor. Clearly a closeted homosexual.

Watched the whole thing. Totally a closeted homosexual. To bad about feeling he had to be in the closet. The last part they show you his brain next to a normal 27 year old. Wow. Fucked up and scary. The doctor said his CTE probably started at 17. It lets you judge whether it caused his impulse to kill Odom and probably the other two.

The linebacker from Wisconsin who quit his rookie year in the NFL is really impressive. And the part where he said the whole Wisconsin line would stand with their pants down getting pain injections before games blew me away. Wow.

football is not good for people and anyone paying attention knows it. but it makes a lot of money and sadly there are still a lot of "manly" jackasses in charge of our society.
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-01-17, 11:49

Banks2Mason wrote:
DWags wrote:

football is not good for people and anyone paying attention knows it. but it makes a lot of money and sadly there are still a lot of "manly" jackasses in charge of our society.

Yep. I loved playing but would discourage my son from doing it I think.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-01-17, 11:51

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Dark Materials? Pretty much followed the book. (of course I read the books a decade ago) Huh. What did you not like about it?

I thought the acting was mediocre and felt like something I’ve seen a hundred times. If you keep watching and give it a vociferous thumbs up, I’ll watch a few more episodes. Related note: I think James McAvoy needs to fire his agent. He’s a good actor who does a lot of questionable stuff.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-01-17, 13:49

Finished it up last night. Fucking depressing. Sociopath + CTE is a pretty horrifying combo.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason 2020-01-17, 14:07

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Sociopath + CTE is a pretty horrifying combo.

hey now he was great in the naked gun movies!
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-01-17, 15:09

Seeing 1917 next week. Have only heard fantastic things.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-01-17, 15:25

Rocinante wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Started The Outsider. Episode 1 was good. As deadpan funny as Jason Bateman can be, he also does the low key creepy guy pretty well, too.

Uh, yeah. Did you see Juno?

Yep, total creep in that. I was thinking of that character, plus this new one.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-01-17, 15:30

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Finished it up last night. Fucking depressing. Sociopath + CTE is a pretty horrifying combo.

Looking forward to seeing it. The question I have is, did the CTE create the sociopath? There’s a documented history of many serial killers who suffered head injuries as children.

tl:dr Don’t let your kid hit their head. Or play for the Patriots.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-01-20, 21:32

I'm not a big 'car chase scene' movie fan, but 6 Under was pretty good. The boat scene got a little rediculous. Definitely some good visuals/graphics. Wife loves her some Ryan Reynolds, so I might get some too. Looks like it got a pretty shitty score on Rotten Tomatoes though.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-01-20, 21:38

Anyone else watch The Witcher? I think WBH or someone mentioned it a few pages back. I have no flipping idea what is going on and stopped trying to figure it out. But I can't stop watching. Characters and visuals are good.

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2020-01-20, 22:07

Nordic wrote:Anyone else watch The Witcher? I think WBH or someone mentioned it a few pages back. I have no flipping idea what is going on and stopped trying to figure it out. But I can't stop watching. Characters and visuals are good.

You will watch it. In episode 5 or 6 you will realize there were dual timelines going on. Also at that point you will start paying attention to the names of the characters. You'll finish the series and then go back and rewatch the first 4-6 episodes to catch everything you missed the first go around.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-01-20, 23:19

Re: Hernandez, no I don't think the CTE surfaced the sociopath. He exhibited behavior like that quite a ways into his past. It's so bizarre to hear those phone calls and the way he compartamentalizes everything, and how it doesn't affect him emotionally. It's chilling. I'm not a psychologist, but to me this guy is absolutely the definition of a sociopath. I mean he has Nucky beat.

I am fully into Succession now. I apologize to no one in particular for not keeping up on current events. But I kind of wish when a new show comes up, and it's good, that people would be like oh hey, this is what it's about roughly and this is why it is good. I had no idea that this series was satirical drama starring James Borrego and Neil Daniels.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-01-21, 06:11

Watched Episode 1 of Curb Your Enthusiasm season 10. Pretty good. Pretty pretty good.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-01-21, 07:19

Nordic wrote:I'm not a big 'car chase scene' movie fan, but 6 Under was pretty good. The boat scene got a little rediculous. Definitely some good visuals/graphics. Wife loves her some Ryan Reynolds, so I might get some too. Looks like it got a pretty shitty score on Rotten Tomatoes though.

I gave up on that after 20 minutes. Too much Michael Bay.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason 2020-01-21, 08:55

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Nordic wrote:I'm not a big 'car chase scene' movie fan, but 6 Under was pretty good. The boat scene got a little rediculous. Definitely some good visuals/graphics. Wife loves her some Ryan Reynolds, so I might get some too. Looks like it got a pretty shitty score on Rotten Tomatoes though.

I gave up on that after 20 minutes. Too much Michael Bay.

good god that movie is so terrible lol
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next