Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smaller Lineup - Huge Development or One Time Anomaly?

+3
Cameron
DWags
NigelUno
7 posters

Go down

Smaller Lineup - Huge Development or One Time Anomaly?  Empty Smaller Lineup - Huge Development or One Time Anomaly?

Post by NigelUno 2020-02-22, 09:35

Izzo used a smaller line up at times against Nebraska.

Tillman only played 27 minutes (lowest of the season).
Ahrens played 22 minutes (highest this year).
Hall + Bingham + Kithier only played 24 minutes (their lowest combined in the last 5 games).

One time match up/bad opponent anomaly, or interesting new development/scheme that will lead to great things?

I like it from a scoring standpoint.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Smaller Lineup - Huge Development or One Time Anomaly?  Empty Re: Smaller Lineup - Huge Development or One Time Anomaly?

Post by DWags 2020-02-22, 10:55

Worse team in the league. Do what you want against them.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Smaller Lineup - Huge Development or One Time Anomaly?  Empty Re: Smaller Lineup - Huge Development or One Time Anomaly?

Post by Cameron 2020-02-22, 11:00

I'd like to see more of it. Getting more shooters on the floor almost always seems like a good idea to me.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-02-22, 11:01

NigelUno wrote:Izzo used a smaller line up at times against Nebraska.

Tillman only played 27 minutes (lowest of the season).
Ahrens played 22 minutes (highest this year).
Hall + Bingham + Kithier only played 24 minutes (their lowest combined in the last 5 games).

One time match up/bad opponent anomaly, or interesting new development/scheme that will lead to great things?

I like it from a scoring standpoint.

I’m no x’s and o’s wizard but it seems like this team is at its best when it can get shooters open and you have players like Ahren’s and Browns able to hit the threes. We spread the floor good against Nebraska and the team had open looks. If going smaller creates that then I’m all for it.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-02-22, 11:03

Cameron wrote:I'd like to see more of it. Getting more shooters on the floor almost always seems like a good idea to me.

Probably right. This year and last year the O is at its best when the floor is spread, the ball is moving around and players are taking threes. That’s modern hoops in a nut shell.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-02-22, 13:44

Impossible that a smaller line up is better. I remember someone saying this team missed Ward.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-02-22, 14:23

kingstonlake wrote:Impossible that a smaller line up is better. I remember someone saying  this team missed Ward.  

What does Nick Ward have to do with the line up in the Nebraska game?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-02-22, 15:21

NigelUno wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Impossible that a smaller line up is better. I remember someone saying  this team missed Ward.  

What does Nick Ward have to do with the line up in the Nebraska game?

Tell us.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-02-22, 15:57

I'll go with a one time thing. I figured X needed a rest and we were playing a bad team. He's been playing a lot of minutes.

Also of you get a chance to play around with different lineups in the conference season on the road, I like the idea of taking advantage. .
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2020-02-22, 16:15

MiamiSpartan wrote:I'll go with a one time thing. I figured X needed a rest and we were playing a bad team. He's been playing a lot of minutes.

Also of you get a chance to play around with different lineups in the conference season on the road, I like the idea of taking advantage. .

This ^ guy ^ gets ^ it ^.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-02-22, 16:43

MiamiSpartan wrote:I'll go with a one time thing. I figured X needed a rest and we were playing a bad team. He's been playing a lot of minutes.

Henry played the most he has all year with 37 minutes. Definitely some new line ups. Might be hard to play small ball against Iowa, Maryland, and Penn State. If Ahrens can produce like that (or close), it will be a big help.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2020-02-22, 19:19

I don't know man... They definitely looked more dynamic. Plus the three headed monster at the 4 that have been playing have been mediocre at best. If X can deal with the big man and Henry/ahrens can handle opposing 4... Why not?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-02-22, 19:47

I know I’m playing checkers and Izzo is playing 4 level chess so I’m not gonna even pretend. But I trust whatever that fucking elf wants to do.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-02-23, 08:35

AvgMSUJoe wrote:I don't know man... They definitely looked more dynamic. Plus the three headed monster at the 4 that have been playing have been mediocre at best. If X can deal with the big man and Henry/ahrens can handle opposing 4... Why not?

If Gabe and Ahrens are knocking down 3s, it provides a great scoring punch that we lack at times (or all the time). Gabe is tall enough to guard the 4 also.

Kithier was out there with 4 smaller guys briefly. Wonder if his minutes will jump a bit. He has good touch in the paint, and doesn't take bad shots.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-02-24, 10:27

Would be nice to see the smaller lineup when Garza goes to the bench tomorrow.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2020-02-24, 17:43

Michigan State basketball found success with the smaller lineup. Kyle Ahrens is the key

Izzo used a number of smaller lineup combinations during the 25th-ranked Spartans’ 86-65 win Thursday at Nebraska. It maximized MSU’s athleticism, countered the Huskers’ guard-oriented groupings, and helped his team outscore them by 18 points in the second half.

“It's just something that was brought to our attention this week, and we practiced it,” said Ahrens, who finished with 14 points and seven rebounds in a season-high 22 minutes. “And if other (teams) are going to go with smaller lineups, we're going to do it, too.”
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down