Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's your Coronavirus load out & freak out level?

+28
Turtleneck
MSU addict
pulling69
MattyFresh
StylesGShmooth
kingstonlake
Jake from State Farm
Bill Cain
I.B. Fine
Heat Miser
AvgMSUJoe
Banks2Mason
The Pantry
CORNER BLITZ
DWags
MiamiSpartan
tGreenWay
InTenSity
WhiteBoyHatcher
Floyd Robertson
Cameron
Watch Out Pylon!
Dendrobates
Other Teams Pursuing That
aualum06
Rocinante
steveschneider
Nordic
32 posters

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

What's your Coronavirus load out & freak out level? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's your Coronavirus load out & freak out level?

Post by Jake from State Farm 2020-03-13, 14:55

What's your Coronavirus load out & freak out level? - Page 5 U_of_m10
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

What's your Coronavirus load out & freak out level? - Page 5 Empty Re: What's your Coronavirus load out & freak out level?

Post by steveschneider 2020-03-13, 15:04

Threw on the Valenti show...why? Because I'm desperate for anything sports related. I'd say he's freaking out. I predict by next week he's broadcasting from his house and avoiding human contact.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-03-13, 15:11

Jake from State Farm wrote:What's your Coronavirus load out & freak out level? - Page 5 U_of_m10

lol!
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-03-13, 15:11

steveschneider wrote:Threw on the Valenti show...why? Because I'm desperate for anything sports related. I'd say he's freaking out. I predict by next week he's broadcasting from his house and avoiding human contact.

He's been slowly tipping over the edge.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-03-13, 18:05

Dendrobates wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Stopped at Antonio's (17-Ryan) yesterday. Nothing out of the ordinary. Not crowded. Full meat counter. Like any other day.

Good to know! Never been there but I will keep it on my radar.
Antonio's is a little pricey. Well worth it to me for the convenience. It's on the way home from work. No crowded parking lot. Can usually be in and out in 10-15 minutes.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-03-13, 18:19

Rocinante wrote:Multiple people I care about are immune compromised. That’s my worry. Really my only worry.

Same. Elderly family and friends, a few with serious illnesses.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict 2020-03-13, 19:08

My random thoughts, not that anyone should care.

I was at the store today, people were buying cases and cases of bottled water.  Why?  Maybe I am the stupid one, but what effect will covid19 have the availability of tap water?  A hurricane, or other natural disaster - I understand completely.  Are people just failing to think things through?  That alone scares me.

My freak out level was around 3 (out of 10) until I read an article today suggesting that many survivors may have lung scarring and diminished lung capacity.  I would say that bumped me up to a 4.5.  I too am most concerned about those around me that are elderly, mostly my mother in law and father in law (my parents have been gone for 20 years).  I am 56 but I am in decent shape, eat fairly well, rarely get sick and if I do normally bounce back quick.  I am missing a lobe of lung though (long story) so that does worry me.

I live in Delaware and they have not closed the public schools yet.  All the parents I know are waiting for that ball to drop, but it just hasn't happened.  Many private schools have closed.

EDIT: Not 45 minutes after I posted the Governor has closed all schools (though we have not been notified by the school).

I would say that 75% of the people around here work in financial services (I live near Wilmington) and almost all are working from home now.

Last edited by MSU addict on 2020-03-13, 19:44; edited 1 time in total
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-03-13, 19:36

Freak our back up to 11. Went to beer store as I got done paying the cashier coughed. Very brief, I signed the receipt and paid with my card.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-03-13, 19:52

Also, just watche an interview from
northern Italy and I believe we are heading there. It was friggin terrifying. I think we are going to head to a level where we aren’t allowed to leave. It was nuts.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-03-13, 19:57

MSU addict wrote:My random thoughts, not that anyone should care.

I was at the store today, people were buying cases and cases of bottled water.  Why?  Maybe I am the stupid one, but what effect will covid19 have the availability of tap water?  A hurricane, or other natural disaster - I understand completely.  Are people just failing to think things through?  That alone scares me.

My freak out level was around 3 (out of 10) until I read an article today suggesting that many survivors may have lung scarring and diminished lung capacity.  I would say that bumped me up to a 4.5.  I too am most concerned about those around me that are elderly, mostly my mother in law and father in law (my parents have been gone for 20 years).  I am 56 but I am in decent shape, eat fairly well, rarely get sick and if I do normally bounce back quick.  I am missing a lobe of lung though (long story) so that does worry me.

I live in Delaware and they have not closed the public schools yet.  All the parents I know are waiting for that ball to drop, but it just hasn't happened.  Many private schools have closed.

EDIT:  Not 45 minutes after I posted the Governor has closed all schools (though we have not been notified by the school).  

I would say that 75% of the people around here work in financial services (I live near Wilmington) and almost all are working from home now.

Mostly irrational obv. But as some that lives on a well and power goes out a lot (storm, zombie apocalypse, etc.), I stocked up.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-03-13, 20:28

steveschneider wrote:Freak our back up to 11. Went to beer store as I got done paying the cashier coughed. Very brief, I signed the receipt and paid with my card.

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-03-13, 20:36

Seattle is ahead of NY and they are starting to see the strain on the medical system.

https://twitter.com/chenbariatrics1/status/1238322250392039424?s=21

The part about seeing 20 something’s in critical condition is the shit that will keep my freak out high. Also that Italy report I saw had me choke up. She witnessed so many people she knows die. Three weeks ago Italy was like us. Also, I’m bracing for public lock down. All of the countries we’ve seen hit hard the only way to really slow it is for everyone to stay in their house. Buckle up folks.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-03-13, 20:38

Nordic wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Freak our back up to 11. Went to beer store as I got done paying the cashier coughed. Very brief, I signed the receipt and paid with my card.

Thanks man that was actually inspirational.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-03-13, 20:40

MSU addict wrote:My random thoughts, not that anyone should care.

EDIT: Not 45 minutes after I posted the Governor has closed all schools (though we have not been notified by the school).

It might be that some people only drink bottled water, never from the tap, and dont have a filter. That's all I can think of. We dont drink from the tap, but do have a filter on our fridge.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-03-13, 20:47

https://twitter.com/ezraklein/status/1238607205126922240?s=21
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2020-03-13, 21:10

steveschneider wrote:Seattle is ahead of NY and they are starting to see the strain on the medical system.

https://twitter.com/chenbariatrics1/status/1238322250392039424?s=21

The part about seeing 20 something’s in critical condition is the shit that will keep my freak out high. Also that Italy report I saw had me choke up. She witnessed so many people she knows die. Three weeks ago Italy was like us. Also, I’m bracing for public lock down. All of the countries we’ve seen hit hard the only way to really slow it is for everyone to stay in their house. Buckle up folks.

Going to be hard to lock down the USA
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-03-13, 21:13

Seattle is becoming our Northern Italy

https://twitter.com/nickkristof/status/1238618948272259073?s=21

Heart breaking.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-03-13, 21:21

steveschneider wrote:Seattle is becoming our Northern Italy

https://twitter.com/nickkristof/status/1238618948272259073?s=21

Heart breaking.

Stay off Twitter Steve.

Get in and get out. Otherwise you will always find what you are looking for.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-03-13, 21:23

Generally speaking, I don’t begrudge anyone stocking up on bottled water, only on those who buy it as a matter of convenience. Like Miami suggested, there are a lot of places with crappy, even in drinkable water.
I always keep extra water in the house. That comes from having covered water shortages in Lansing and elsewhere, when folks were stuck standing in long lines waiting for something they’d die without. Promised myself I’d take steps to see that wouldn’t happen to me.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-03-13, 22:07

steveschneider wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Thanks man that was actually inspirational.

I am at peace with the fact that I've done everything I can to prepare my family. If something happens over what I've prepared for, there is nothing I can do about it.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-03-13, 22:16

I'm not freaking out still. Prob not gonna freak out unless my wife or kids or parents fall gravely ill. But as a person who in general is somewhat of a germophobe, it occurred to me tonight running errands that there is really no way to be 100% safe from this thing without becoming completely over the top neurotic about it. It can live on surfaces and we're not sure for how long. Ok.

I went to Lowe's to buy some lump charcoal. No wipes provided for cart. Ok, no biggie, I just won't touch my face until after I've sanitized. Could it be on the bags of charcoal that I handled and put in my car? Sure, I guess. I touch the charcoal, I touch the cart, I touch my credit card, I touch my keys, I touch my door handle. I get in my car and use my hand sanitizer on my hands. Then my keys, then my credit card and my phone (my phone has a case which holds 3 cards as I don't carry cash). But the door handle could still have it theoretically. The inside of my pocket where I had my keys and credit card could still have it. The bags of charcoal could still have it.

I go to the liquor store to buy some booze and some wine. Certainly the bottles could have it on them, but I just won't touch my face until I sanitize. The clerk is wearing gloves, but that just protects him. If he has it and he sneezes on those gloves and then handles my booze and cc, it's now on the bottles and my card. And then I touch them and it's now on my keys and phone. Same routine, I sanitize. Hell I even get home and I wipe down the liquor bottles with anti-bacterial wipes.

Then I go and ride the ex bike for a bit and go to shower, and I'm all clean and pristine. And then when I'm done showering I handle all kinds of bottles of things that came from Amazon - my nightly routine of pills/vitamins, deodorant, etc. I'm clean as fuck. But who knows if those bottles are. I gave up at that point. My neurosis can only go so far.

Steve you're so fucked.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-03-13, 22:32

Listen to this guys.

It’s the NYT health reporter who’s also an older man taking about his routine right now. It makes complete sense and it’s not over the top. You can love your life, but have to get used to some routines of disinfection to minimize our exposure.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-daily/id1200361736?i=1000468302566

It’s going to be ok.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-03-13, 22:41

Roc how's it going with you guys and your friends?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-03-13, 23:15

What's your Coronavirus load out & freak out level? - Page 5 VoKBM_number_of_confirmed_coronavirus_cases_by_days_since_100th_case

How the US stacks up to other countries in confirmed coronavirus cases
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2020/3/13/21178289/confirmed-coronavirus-cases-us-countries-italy-iran-singapore-hong-kong
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-03-14, 00:34

Bill Gates on the money a few years ago

Obviously the world didn't step up and learn what he'd hoped Ebola - perhaps this hitting home will cause the future change required? Or maybe not

CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2020-03-14, 00:34

"it's funny that we all now know how we're going to die - just a matter of order at this point"

CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2020-03-14, 00:38

Nordic wrote:
StylesGShmooth wrote:I haven't bought shit.  Mostly because I was sick as fuck for the last week and a half and barely left the house.  Now I have to venture out and pick over the leftovers in the next day or two.

On the bright side, I already have toilet paper.  Don't know why that was the first thing everyone went for.  

Did you have the Coronas?

I went North for my supplies. Gonna catch the Labbtsvirus.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-03-14, 00:45

StylesGShmooth wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Did you have the Coronas?

I went North for my supplies.  Gonna catch the Labbtsvirus.

What's your Coronavirus load out & freak out level? - Page 5 Bobmckenzie_large
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2020-03-14, 00:51

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I'm not freaking out still. Prob not gonna freak out unless my wife or kids or parents fall gravely ill. But as a person who in general is somewhat of a germophobe, it occurred to me tonight running errands that there is really no way to be 100% safe from this thing without becoming completely over the top neurotic about it. It can live on surfaces and we're not sure for how long. Ok.

I went to Lowe's to buy some lump charcoal. No wipes provided for cart. Ok, no biggie, I just won't touch my face until after I've sanitized. Could it be on the bags of charcoal that I handled and put in my car? Sure, I guess. I touch the charcoal, I touch the cart, I touch my credit card, I touch my keys, I touch my door handle. I get in my car and use my hand sanitizer on my hands. Then my keys, then my credit card and my phone (my phone has a case which holds 3 cards as I don't carry cash). But the door handle could still have it theoretically. The inside of my pocket where I had my keys and credit card could still have it. The bags of charcoal could still have it.

I go to the liquor store to buy some booze and some wine. Certainly the bottles could have it on them, but I just won't touch my face until I sanitize. The clerk is wearing gloves, but that just protects him. If he has it and he sneezes on those gloves and then handles my booze and cc, it's now on the bottles and my card. And then I touch them and it's now on my keys and phone. Same routine, I sanitize. Hell I even get home and I wipe down the liquor bottles with anti-bacterial wipes.

Then I go and ride the ex bike for a bit and go to shower, and I'm all clean and pristine. And then when I'm done showering I handle all kinds of bottles of things that came from Amazon - my nightly routine of pills/vitamins, deodorant, etc. I'm clean as fuck. But who knows if those bottles are. I gave up at that point. My neurosis can only go so far.

Steve you're so fucked.
Relax.

You won't regret switching from briquettes to lump.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-03-14, 10:54

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Roc how's it going with you guys and your friends?

We haven’t talked in a while. Don’t want to bother them. We are just trying to stick to a routine. It’s hard with little kids.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-03-20, 19:10

Steve, if you're still coming here you need to hit the road. We can't travel after 8pm on Sunday.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2020-03-20, 21:46

Ran out of Labatts and Jamo, had to make an emergecy run today. Down to 7 rolls of TP in the cache. Of course I was at 9 a week and a half ago so I'm sure I can find some in the next month.

There is a couple bulk packages of Ramen at the back of the pantry though, just in case the struggle gets real.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-03-20, 22:19

Turtleneck wrote:Steve, if you're still coming here you need to hit the road. We can't travel after 8pm on Sunday.

Where you at tneck?
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-03-20, 22:40

I know they're tough to commandeer at present but seriously, guys, as soon as you can, get a standard run of the mill, water pressure bidet. It will absolutely change your life and reduce your consumption of TP to 1/100th of what it currently is.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2020-03-20, 22:57

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I know they're tough to commandeer at present but seriously, guys, as soon as you can, get a standard run of the mill, water pressure bidet. It will absolutely change your life and reduce your consumption of TP to 1/100th of what it currently is.

Don't you use TP to dry off after bidet use?
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-03-20, 23:03

Heat Miser wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I know they're tough to commandeer at present but seriously, guys, as soon as you can, get a standard run of the mill, water pressure bidet. It will absolutely change your life and reduce your consumption of TP to 1/100th of what it currently is.

Don't you use TP to dry off after bidet use?

Yeah but not much. If you have an electric one with a optimist even less. It's a spot check.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-03-23, 18:56

Had my yearly physical today at a Beaumont health center. I brought the masks I ordered from Amazon before the shit hit the fan. They need them more than I do.

It was surprisingly laid back. No one in a mask. Full staff, but hardly any patients. They also aren't seeing sick patients, so the threat was low.

Also had to get my blood drawn in a different suite. Definitely more intense there. 6 people hanging out just starting at each other at the front desk. Two had masks on. They lady that drew the blood was definitely questioning wtf they were doing there. I questioned it myself. Yearly physical is required by insurance. The last thing I want to do is fight with my insurance right now, so I went.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-03-23, 20:39

Hope that you don't come back with a case of lupus Nord.

Not gonna lie this evening's revelation that soon we're just gonna resume life and let people start dying has me a little on edge. Today was the toughest day yet for me coming to that realization. Hope some treatment makes it to market soon.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2020-03-23, 21:17

My PhD son-in-law was fortunate enough to land a tenure track job at a 4 year private college of 2500 that had a very healthy $1.1B endowment.

Today he got a letter requesting no department book guest speakers who don’t waive their speaking fees, travel and lodging for the 20-21 school year and they will re-access in Spring 2021. Told them to expect larger class size in some departments where professors are retiring because they won’t be replaced for at least ‘20-‘21. Said there was a salary freeze for the next academic year. All because the $1.1B endowment is now $770M, might go lower.

One of the casualties are younger people who have completed their PhD’s who are finding schools with tighter budgets, smaller endowments and older professors nearing retirement who just found they have a need to work 3-5 more years minimum.

Look at state supported schools like a Lake Superior State that have skinny endowments might as well be on life support (no pun intended) WMU, EMU and CMU have been losing students as has Ferris andSVSU. GVSU has been holding its own with applications.

Then there are schools like Albion that don’t have $500M+ endowments pre-March 2020 stock crash like some other private schools.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2020-03-25, 17:05

Uh oh Nordic. Your lifeline is under threat.

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/more-amazon-warehouse-workers-in-us-test-positive-for-covid-19/
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next