Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tswill I need a new modem/router/both, tips advice please

+8
Jake from State Farm
pulling69
Heat Miser
GRR Spartan
CORNER BLITZ
kingstonlake
Nordic
Other Teams Pursuing That
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

tswill I need a new modem/router/both, tips advice please Empty tswill I need a new modem/router/both, tips advice please

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon 23 Mar 2020 - 22:10

What do you have? We have a big house but even next to to the fucking router speedtest.net says we are like 20-30mbps... we are paying for 275mbps (I know that's bs) but 20-30mbps next to the router is BS. I am in my room and I get like 10mbps.. I can't game on xbox live/work remotely in quarantine on this shit

Help?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tswill I need a new modem/router/both, tips advice please Empty Re: tswill I need a new modem/router/both, tips advice please

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon 23 Mar 2020 - 22:12

if anyone would be so kind: https://www.speedtest.net/
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tswill I need a new modem/router/both, tips advice please Empty Re: tswill I need a new modem/router/both, tips advice please

Post by Nordic Mon 23 Mar 2020 - 22:19

Ran it 3 times...118, 57, 133. Comcast. Modem: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MSTB5KW/ref=ya_aw_oh_bia_dp?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon 23 Mar 2020 - 22:23

Ok I just ran a speedtest with a laptop directly from modem/rotuer to laptop and got 170 download or some shit. obviously ethernet direct is going to be fast AF but that means my device is shit..

thank you nordy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Mon 23 Mar 2020 - 22:27

First two readings are my 2g, next three are my 5g. I’m upstairs and my router is downstairs.

tswill I need a new modem/router/both, tips advice please 1538b010
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon 23 Mar 2020 - 22:36

Nordic wrote:Ran it 3 times...118, 57, 133. Comcast. Modem: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MSTB5KW/ref=ya_aw_oh_bia_dp?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How far away are you from it?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Mon 23 Mar 2020 - 22:39

Who do you have for internet? What is your current setup? Are you renting from your internet provider? Have they updated your firmware?

Just went through a round of this with my parents. They didn't want to keep renting, so just went to Best Buy and bought the same thing they had been renting. That was fine years ago till their computer kept dropping the connection. When I started digging into their internet issues the modem had not been updated in years. Since they bought the same unit they were originally given, it was a modem/wifi router combo, which cannot be updated other than by your ISP. If you don't rent from them, they won't update your unit - so it eventually becomes a brick.
They're now upgraded to a NETGEAR - Nighthawk 32 modem + Google Nest Wifi. It hasn't necessarily sped up their connection speeds (WOW in the boondocks), but they aren't constantly dropping connections like they were previously and have those same speeds throughout the entire house.
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Mon 23 Mar 2020 - 22:53

Asus AC9200. Easy set up and hasn’t had the security issues some other manufacturers has experienced ...yet.

About $185.00 several places. I’m a Spectrum customer and get their modem”free”.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 0:10

Google mesh all the way. Comcast routers suck balls. Turn off their wifi & plug the Google router into it. Add as many wifi points as necessary. 2 should be sufficient for 5k sq ft.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 0:29

2pk Google Mesh on sale at Best Buy (and probably everywhere else) for 199
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 0:34

CORNER BLITZ wrote:Who do you have for internet? What is your current setup? Are you renting from your internet provider? Have they updated your firmware?

Just went through a round of this with my parents. They didn't want to keep renting, so just went to Best Buy and bought the same thing they had been renting. That was fine years ago till their computer kept dropping the connection. When I started digging into their internet issues the modem had not been updated in years. Since they bought the same unit they were originally given, it was a modem/wifi router combo, which cannot be updated other than by your ISP. If you don't rent from them, they won't update your unit - so it eventually becomes a brick.
They're now upgraded to a NETGEAR - Nighthawk 32 modem + Google Nest Wifi. It hasn't necessarily sped up their connection speeds (WOW in the boondocks), but they aren't constantly dropping connections like they were previously and have those same speeds throughout the entire house.

275mbps I believe. Xfinity. 2,000sq ft-ish house. we are not renting, we currently have this modem router which has great reviews so it's kind of odd that it's sucking so bad.

Called comcast today, they sent a few restarts or some shit and said everything looked good on their end (of course) and they would suggest to reach out to netgear. as I said in the original post, ethernet from modem router to laptop got us like 170+ on first try. wifi sitting in same room as router a few feet away? 20-30mbps.

obviously frustrating in a big house (with wifi extenders even) with all of us WFH and shit.

Thinking this may be the play:
It's $20 extra via Target/Bestbuy, but they price match.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 0:35

Also did I just find a hidden rule about the swill? I tried to post a best buy link and walmart link and it said I didn't have rights to access the posting page. PMed heat thought I was banned!

looking at this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cable-Providers-16x4-ARRIS-Mbps-US-Cox-Approved-Router-Charter-SURFboard-Comcast-300-AC1600-Xfinity-service-plans-Modem-Internet-WiFi/211900853

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 0:36

Current one:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/NETGEAR-N600-8x4-WiFi-Cable-Modem-Router-Combo-C3700-DOCSIS-3-0-Certified-for-XFINITY-by-Comcast-Spectrum-Cox-and-more-C3700-100NAS/36009477?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=176&adid=22222222227025762580&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=52376129951&wl4=pla-83939711351&wl5=9028777&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=108212685&wl11=online&wl12=36009477&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3_Dn36Sy6AIVzP_jBx2dGQjrEAQYBCABEgK9hfD_BwE

But honestly with how y'all are so confident in the google nest it may be worth extra $100. this shit is driving me nuts anyways.

NOTE TO SELF: you can't post links from best buy on tswill.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 0:42

aw fuck you guys i'd need a modem too then...
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 0:42

Yeah that was the same kind of shit I had. Wow told me to talk to Netgear... Netgear told me to talk to wow. Most likely your modem firmware is out of date and can't be manually updated since it's a combo modem/wifi router
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 0:50

Also, make sure your modem/router is setup to choose the least congested channel. If it's 2G/5G, make sure both are on. 2g is slower, but has better range, but can also have interference form other appliances, thus the channel. Channels can also be congested from other nearby routers using the same ones.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 0:53

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:aw fuck you guys i'd need a modem too then...

You can use your existing modem/router. Just turn off the wifi & plug in Google. Google will get the 170 wired connection & passed it on thru wifi. Actually, the mesh wifi is in the 500 range I believe. Also, the new Nest wifi points have Google assistant built in.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 1:01

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Current one:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/NETGEAR-N600-8x4-WiFi-Cable-Modem-Router-Combo-C3700-DOCSIS-3-0-Certified-for-XFINITY-by-Comcast-Spectrum-Cox-and-more-C3700-100NAS/36009477?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=176&adid=22222222227025762580&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=52376129951&wl4=pla-83939711351&wl5=9028777&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=108212685&wl11=online&wl12=36009477&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3_Dn36Sy6AIVzP_jBx2dGQjrEAQYBCABEgK9hfD_BwE

But honestly with how y'all are so confident in the google nest it may be worth extra $100. this shit is driving me nuts anyways.

NOTE TO SELF: you can't post links from best buy on tswill.

Confirmed. Interesting. Not from anything I've done that I can remember.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 1:18

Heat Miser wrote:

You can use your existing modem/router. Just turn off the wifi & plug in Google. Google will get the 170 wired connection & passed it on thru wifi. Actually, the mesh wifi is in the 500 range I believe. Also, the new Nest wifi points have Google assistant built in.

Thank you heat, this is very helpful. Guess I have to decide to pay the extra $100 or not. Google nest seems like the safer bet and better investment long term. But we also have extenders that could help the $100 ARRIS. Decisions, decisions.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 1:42

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

Thank you heat, this is very helpful. Guess I have to decide to pay the extra $100 or not. Google nest seems like the safer bet and better investment long term. But we also have extenders that could help the $100 ARRIS. Decisions, decisions.

If you're only getting 20-30mbps from a few feet away, extenders won't help that. Problem is either the router or the router config.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 1:49

Heat Miser wrote:

If you're only getting 20-30mbps from a few feet away, extenders won't help that. Problem is either the router or the router config.

Right, I meant I'm debating on buying that ARRIS above (with extenders already in house) or buying the Google nest 2 pack. Unfortunately I'm not sure one of us idiots can get into the config of the router.

Actually I just figured it out - let's go! now what to configure.. ok google. Checked the channels you mentioned Heat, both are indeed on.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 2:46

Netgear Nighthawk routers are beasts. Many different price levels to choose from and they are all solid as fuck.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 5:45

Long shot but one time I was having the same issue. Turns out the house was wired for cable eons ago and their were many splicers in the house that were ancient and ill equipped to hand the speed I was paying for. At least that’s what the tech told me.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 8:12

I've got crappy DSL from Frontier, 16 mbps download on a good day, 1 mbps upload on a really good day. Was dropping connection all the time. Called them and said they would come out but if the problem was inside wiring there would be a minimum $85 charge to fix it. They came out and it was the service feed to the house so they replaced it. Technician screwed it up and it quit working as soon as he left. I call and they tell me it's a week before they can come and fix it. Later the next week a different technician shows up to fix it and says yes, technician one screwed up. They never did have to come into my house other than to say hi, I'm here. Next bill there's an $85 charge. After several phone over a period of a couple months they tell me their policy has changed. Now it's a minimum $85 whether of not they have to come inside your house. So if it's an effed up service line it's now my responsibility to fix it. Which I suppose would include climbing the pole across the road and stringing a new wire.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 8:55

kingstonlake wrote:Long shot but one time I was having the same issue. Turns out the house was wired for cable eons ago and their were many splicers in the house that were ancient and ill equipped to hand the speed I was paying for. At least that’s what the tech told me.

It is an old fucking house but us testing it directly to modem eliminates that no?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 9:02

Also, even though you got it figured out, just wanted to mention my post was back asswards and the modem part is usually fine but the wifi router part of those combo devices will be the part that can't update is firmware

(The modern can't either, but mostly isn't updated vs the router which apparently gets updated all the time by the naming I saw)
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 9:06

CORNER BLITZ wrote:Also, even though you got it figured out, just wanted to mention my post was back asswards and the modem part is usually fine but the wifi router part of those combo devices will be the part that can't update is firmware

(The modern can't either, but mostly isn't updated vs the router which apparently gets updated all the time by the naming I saw)

You were right I thought the same after some research that it can’t be updated manually.

I wonder if Best Buy is essential. Going to try to get curbside pick up where they may drop shit in your trunk before 4pm shelter in place shit goes into effect today.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 9:10

And if you haven't looked more into it: nest will automatically update itself, is crazy easy for even a non tech person to setup, easy to setup temp wifi for guests

I'm pretty impressed with it
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 9:11

kingstonlake wrote:Long shot but one time I was having the same issue. Turns out the house was wired for cable eons ago and their were many splicers in the house that were ancient and ill equipped to hand the speed I was paying for. At least that’s what the tech told me.

It is an old fucking house but us testing it directly to modem eliminates that no?

I would think so. Might depend on if you’re renting or own your router. If you own it they might only be giving you the “to the house reading” yes I’m a conspiracy guy who trusts nothing lol....
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 9:12

CORNER BLITZ wrote:And if you haven't looked more into it: nest will automatically update itself, is crazy easy for even a non tech person to setup, easy to setup temp wifi for guests

Do you have it? Worth the extra $100 compared to another set up? I’m thinking it is but i am very indecisive. Ideally this shit would last me years and i always hated issues with modems routers etc
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 9:14

Heat Miser wrote:

Right, I meant I'm debating on buying that ARRIS above (with extenders already in house) or buying the Google nest 2 pack. Unfortunately I'm not sure one of us idiots can get into the config of the router.

Actually I just figured it out - let's go! now what to configure.. ok google. Checked the channels you mentioned Heat, both are indeed on.

Check to see if the channels on both bands are set to static channels. If they are, try changing to other channels, or if there's a dynamic option, choose that.

Also, check if a firmware update is available. If yes, update it.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 9:18

CORNER BLITZ wrote:And if you haven't looked more into it: nest will automatically update itself, is crazy easy for even a non tech person to setup, easy to setup temp wifi for guests

Do you have it? Worth the extra $100 compared to another set up? I’m thinking it is but i am very indecisive. Ideally this shit would last me years and i always hated issues with modems routers etc

I'd say yes. Not that a router shouldn't last you years anyways, but this even more of a set it and forget it than anything else

And also even though it costs more, after dealing with it I'll never buy a combo modem/router again because it is DUMB that you can't manually update your own equipment
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 9:43

I have a Google wifi router (1st gen) and a Nest access point (2nd gen, backwards compatible). The setup on these things is ridiculously easy. And they look nice. No antennae sticking out of them. They update automagically & the app that controls everything is great. Definitely worth the extra $ IMHO, although it is similarly priced to other mesh systems.

BTW, your extender(s) should also work with it, though it won't be a true "mesh" system. You could buy a Google wifi router (1st gen) for $99 and add the extenders to it. tswill I need a new modem/router/both, tips advice please 2599972566
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Tue 24 Mar 2020 - 10:01

Heat Miser wrote:I have a Google wifi router (1st gen) and a Nest access point (2nd gen, backwards compatible). The setup on these things is ridiculously easy. And they look nice. No antennae sticking out of them. They update automagically & the app that controls everything is great. Definitely worth the extra $ IMHO, although it is similarly priced to other mesh systems.

BTW, your extender(s) should also work with it, though it won't be a true "mesh" system. You could buy a Google wifi router (1st gen) for $99 and add the extenders to it. tswill I need a new modem/router/both, tips advice please 2599972566

Y'all are so fucking helpful, I appreciate it. THIS may be the play, that way if needed (I shouldn't as I'm moving into a smaller place in a few months) I can always get more access points down the road.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed 25 Mar 2020 - 16:56

Yo Heat/CB do you know if the 2nd gen google wifi router has ethernet ports? Coud I plug something directly into the router for internets? (Not the point the actual router)
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed 25 Mar 2020 - 16:59

nevermind think i found my answer bros

This is not going to matter to some consumers, but to someone like me who occasionally plays video games online (and likes to get as much speed as I can otherwise), this is inconvenient to say the least. The base router has two ports, but since one of them is permanently occupied by a connection to the modem, it really only has one that can be used for other things. The points don't have any ethernet ports at all.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Wed 25 Mar 2020 - 17:18

Never buy a modem/router combo

Arris is the latest name for Motorola modems. If you rent free m Comcast they tweet the reporting software.

However if you buy it there are reporting sites that tell you when your provider is throttling or when service is down without announcements.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Wed 25 Mar 2020 - 17:35

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:nevermind think i found my answer bros

This is not going to matter to some consumers, but to someone like me who occasionally plays video games online (and likes to get as much speed as I can otherwise), this is inconvenient to say the least. The base router has two ports, but since one of them is permanently occupied by a connection to the modem, it really only has one that can be used for other things. The points don't have any ethernet ports at all.

I had one of these laying around

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Ethernet-Splitter-Unmanaged-TL-SF1005D/dp/B000FNFSPY
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Ethernet-Unmanaged-Internet-Splitter/dp/B00KFD0SYK

so the one outlet goes to the switch and I have multiple things hardwired from there

CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Wed 25 Mar 2020 - 17:57

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:nevermind think i found my answer bros

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Ethernet-Splitter-Unmanaged-TL-SF1005D/dp/B000FNFSPY
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Ethernet-Unmanaged-Internet-Splitter/dp/B00KFD0SYK

so the one outlet goes to the switch and I have multiple things hardwired from there

This is correct & is exactly what I do.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Wed 25 Mar 2020 - 18:36

Heat Miser wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:

This is correct & is exactly what I do.

Just bought one of those to hook up my work computer at home. It really is plug n play. It's also nice not having to plug and unplug ethernet cables.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next