Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I consider John Huntsman or Mitt to be the only one of these candidates with a shot to beat Hillary.

+2
Robert J Sakimano
Rocinante
6 posters

Go down

I consider John Huntsman or Mitt to be the only one of these candidates with a shot to beat Hillary. Empty I consider John Huntsman or Mitt to be the only one of these candidates with a shot to beat Hillary.

Post by Rocinante Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:42 pm

Thoughts?

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Elections/President/2013/0114/Chris-Christie-for-president-16-Republicans-who-might-run-next-time-video/Chris-Christie
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

I consider John Huntsman or Mitt to be the only one of these candidates with a shot to beat Hillary. Empty Re: I consider John Huntsman or Mitt to be the only one of these candidates with a shot to beat Hillary.

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:13 am

I think Huntsman would be a good general election candidate who could potentially give Hillary a good run.. he's a very appealing candidate, common sense-oriented, bright, articulate, etc.

however, with the right wing extremism associated with their primary, he'll never get the nomination.. as with 2008 and even more so in 2012, the right wing candidates will be forced to "out wacko" each other, leaving an unqualified extremist (quasi or otherwise) as their nominee....

when I say "quasi", I am particularly referring to Romney in 2012. At the beginning of his candidacy, he wasn't an extremist - not in the vain of a Bachmann or Santorum, anyway - but he had to run as such. When the primary was over, he then had to try to appeal to mainstream America and, thankfully, as dumb as mainstream America generally is, even they could see through the veneer.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

I consider John Huntsman or Mitt to be the only one of these candidates with a shot to beat Hillary. Empty Re: I consider John Huntsman or Mitt to be the only one of these candidates with a shot to beat Hillary.

Post by The_Dude Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:18 pm

Rand Paul
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:41 pm

Huntsman sucks. It would be a slaughter, the base would stay home. You do realize Romney lost at least partially for that reason? Had Romney gotten the same number of votes McCain did he would have won.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:46 pm

LooseGoose wrote:Huntsman sucks. It would be a slaughter, the base would stay home. You do realize Romney lost at least partially for that reason? Had Romney gotten the same number of votes McCain did he would have won.

Except Romney got more votes than McCain....
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:47 pm

So will we get the "Hillary is too old to President" articles in 2016 like we did for Reagan, Dole in 96 and McCain?

Somehow I think not
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:00 pm

LooseGoose wrote:Huntsman sucks. It would be a slaughter, the base would stay home. You do realize Romney lost at least partially for that reason? Had Romney gotten the same number of votes McCain did he would have won.

Why does he suck? Because he's a reasonable man?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:02 am

Rocinante wrote:

Why does he suck? Because he's a reasonable man?

Because he's a squish. He's old school "me too just less" Republican loser material like John Anderson, Bob Michael, Joe Scarborough and people of that ilk.

Look there's room enough in the GOP tent for people like him we're just not going to put them leadership positions anymore.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:41 am

Dr. Strangelove wrote:So will we get the "Hillary is too old to President" articles in 2016 like we did for Reagan, Dole in 96 and McCain?

Somehow I think not
it's already started..

Is Hillary Clinton Too Old to Run?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:42 am

Hillary Clinton Too Old and Stale
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:43 am

Is HIllary Too Old For 2016?
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:07 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:

Because he's a squish. He's old school "me too just less" Republican loser material like John Anderson, Bob Michael, Joe Scarborough and people of that ilk.

Look there's room enough in the GOP tent for people like him we're just not going to put them leadership positions anymore.

I guess I understand what you mean, but at the same time, where are the big ideas in the republican party right now. Their whole platform has been whatever obama does is bad with a little "less govt" sprinkled in for good measure. What will they have without obama to kick around anymore?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:39 pm

Rocinante wrote:

I guess I understand what you mean, but at the same time, where are the big ideas in the republican party right now. Their whole platform has been whatever obama does is bad with a little "less govt" sprinkled in for good measure. What will they have without obama to kick around anymore?

Easy.

Cheap, available energy - more drilling, more fracking, more nuclear. Lift ban on exporting oil, lift ban on breeder reactors, open ANWAR. Cheap energy is good for the economy. Easy sell on the economic value and as added bonus allows GOP to stick a finger in the eye of the Dem's treehugger friends.

Immigration - build a big damn fence and then talk about who are letting stay and who we are letting in the country.

Getting government off people's backs - start by issuing a moratorium on new Federal regulations and then look at repealing wherever you can. Have you seen the size of the Federal Register? It's over 100,000 pages surely we can find some stuff to cut.

Tax reform - the current tax code is monster as anyone who has ever done more than a 1040ez can attest. Let's simplify this bitch.

Those are low hanging fruit.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:52 pm

Really? Most of that is vague rhetoric. The only specific points you made were the fence, export crude, reactors, and ANWAR. I doubt the fence will be proposed again by the next congress. And how exactly would allowing crude imports to resume help the american consumer. Do we know production would go up? Do we know that refineries wouldn't close for cheaper alternatives in other countries? Also pretty sure conservatives are just as scared of a meltdown as liberals, plus the oil companies who fund a hefty chunk of everybody's reelection don't want it, so good luck on that ever even being propoaed. Finally, I don't see any of these issues on the RNP website, so it sounds like your agenda, not theirs. And it's pretty flimsy.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:52 am

Dr. Strangelove wrote:

Easy.

Cheap, available energy - more drilling, more fracking, more nuclear. Lift ban on exporting oil, lift ban on breeder reactors, open ANWAR. Cheap energy is good for the economy. Easy sell on the economic value and as added bonus allows GOP to stick a finger in the eye of the Dem's treehugger friends.

Immigration - build a big damn fence and then talk about who are letting stay and who we are letting in the country.

Getting government off people's backs - start by issuing a moratorium on new Federal regulations and then look at repealing wherever you can. Have you seen the size of the Federal Register? It's over 100,000 pages surely we can find some stuff to cut.

Tax reform - the current tax code is monster as anyone who has ever done more than a 1040ez can attest. Let's simplify this bitch.

Those are low hanging fruit.

Easy?

All of the sudden Republicans are acting like their is no internal divide within their party. Between the traditional conservatives and the Tea Party-types with all of their historical misinterpretations, nothing is going to be easy. Sweeping into office is not going to bridge the gaps within the party and might actually serve to exacerbate those gaps.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:04 pm

Rocinante wrote:Really? Most of that is vague rhetoric. The only specific points you made were the fence, export crude, reactors, and ANWAR. I doubt the fence will be proposed again by the next congress. And how exactly would allowing crude imports to resume help the american consumer. Do we know production would go up? Do we know that refineries wouldn't close for cheaper alternatives in other countries? Also pretty sure conservatives are just as scared of a meltdown as liberals, plus the oil companies who fund a hefty chunk of everybody's reelection don't want it, so good luck on that ever even being propoaed. Finally, I don't see any of these issues on the RNP website, so it sounds like your agenda, not theirs. And it's pretty flimsy.

I'm thinking that I might be more in tune with GOP priorities that you.

Republicans renew push for drilling in Alaska wildlife refuge

Allowing US exports of LNG Boehner: Allow LNG Exports and oil New Senate Energy head will need time to lift U.S. oil export ban and of course our 300 year supploy of coal will allow the US to become the swing producer in energy.

This will enable us to stablize pricing and to counter any aggressive moves by other non-friendly (I'm looking at you Russia) energy exporters.

Additionally every penny drop in the retail price of gasoline saves the US consumer about a billion dollars. That is a good thing.

Nuclear power is nominally supported by both parties and really is the cleanest energy out there for the buck. There are a couple things holding it back - 1. The Jimmy Carter executive order banning breeder reactors and 2. Harry Reid and Yucca. Can the U.S. Government Revive Nuclear Power? And FTR I live about 5 mile from a reactor. Shearon Harris Nuclear Power Plant

Also on my "building a fence" - here you go: Incoming GOP Senate chairman Ron Johnson plans border security bill

Here's tax reform: GOP leaders set sights on tax reform but fret over newly combative Obama

And here's regulation repeals: RSC Repeal Task Force
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:44 pm

I certainly agree that you know more about the republican agenda than I do.

But perusing your links doesn't make any of the stuff you mentioned seem like a priority as much as it seems like a pandering to the base that "we're gonna do stuff".

LNG isn't crude. I thought you said crude. Looking back you said "oil" regardless that's different than LNG. Right now there is NO (I mean NONE BROTHER) motivation to add MORE U.S. oil to the world market as OPEC is keeping prices low specifically to starve North American Markets. I just don't see this happening.

I know that both parties "nominally support" nuclear power I nominally support it. I still think there are too many coal/ng/oil/traditional fossil fuel interests in Washington to allow it to happen. To blame it even partially on Harry Reid, who is just doing what his constituents want, is disingenuous.

That immigration bill you linked about sounds vaguely familiar..... Oh that's right there's a perfectly good bipartisan immigration bill languishing in the senate now. It even has more fence and border patrol!!! Senate Bill 744. The president said he supports it. The house never took it up. Nor did their version of it ever go anywhere. Both sides point at the other as the problem with that, but who knows?

There's like two sentences on lowering the corporate tax rate in that link (which by the way, Obama supports), and the repeal task force? It's just got some targets (none of them oil exports). Repeal Obamacare? That's still a thing?

My point is, these are either vagaries or rhetoric and nothing here seems to indicate that the republicans are actually planning on doing anything but pushing paper around and continuing the same tired "block everything Obama wants to do" strategy. It got them the senate, why stop now? And like turtleneck said. Let's not pretend like there's peace within the party between the extreme right and the center.

Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:16 pm

I consider John Huntsman or Mitt to be the only one of these candidates with a shot to beat Hillary. 1486952199

My favorite Alex Jones quote of all time, regarding Hillary; "Look, I'm a guy who's open minded... and if you look like you've been beat with the ugly stick, that's okay... just stay away from my guns, woman! Ya wort covered demon!"

Hahahahaaa
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:27 pm

Alex Jones still thinks 911 was an inside job.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:29 pm

Rocinante wrote:Alex Jones still thinks 911 was an inside job.
never heard of him but he looks like the kind of guy that would think that 9/11 was an inside job.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:27 am

Rocinante wrote:Alex Jones still thinks 911 was an inside job.

I know, he's my favorite. Much more entertaining than FoxNews or MSNBC.

Probably reports closer to the truth than those outfits, too, although not why occasionally watch him.

For the gold I'm referring to, fast forward that vid to 2:08 and let er rip.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:21 am

xsanguine wrote:

Probably reports closer to the truth than those outfits

Probably equally as dishonest. Comes across as foolish.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down