Spartans in the NBA

Page 4 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Spartans in the NBA

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-11-26, 21:32

Shawn Windsor ‏@shawnwindsor 2h2 hours ago
The pied piper ... surrounded by green -- pun intended.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH on 2015-11-26, 21:47

LooseGoose wrote:
SpartanInNH wrote:Nice find, Goose. Now get back in the kitchen.

a perceptive man - LOL, that was posted when I was up to get the bird in the oven.

You and my grandmother, back in the day.
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 2015-11-27, 12:26

Going to suns warriors tonight.  Damn. Just bought the tickets, cost me like 2,000 dollars total. Suns games expensive as fuck. Money Green will be money tonight!!! Ill be yelling at him to ask him if he knows SD265!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-11-29, 07:53

NBL Canada ‏@NBLCanada 12h12 hours ago
With the 2nd pick of the #NBLC Draft, the @MonctonMiracles select Brandan Kearney, 6'7" from Detroit, MI!

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-11-29, 07:54

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2015-12-03, 10:00

I don't really know how to post article headers like LG but FWIW:

ESPN Insider: Draymond Green is the best Center in the NBA

http://espn.go.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/14269077/golden-state-warriors-draymond-green-best-center-nba

Kevin Pelton, ESPN Staff Writer
Shares
Email
print
comment
The NBA's best center stands 6-foot-5 and three quarters in bare feet and began his career as the third-string small forward for the Golden State Warriors.

EDITOR'S PICKS

Doolittle: Drummond best center in the NBA?
From Andre Drummond to Karl-Anthony Towns to Tim Duncan, Bradford Doolittle ranks the NBA's centers.
Draymond Green certainly doesn't look like our vision of a dominant NBA center. He doesn't necessarily play all that much like one either. But regardless of his style, the results when Green plays center speak for themselves.

During a period where Marc Gasol and Dwight Howard are aging and younger talents like Andre Drummond, Rudy Gobert, Karl-Anthony Towns and Hassan Whiteside aren't yet ready to claim the throne, the Warriors' starting power forward also merits the title of league's best center.

Warriors at their best with Green in the middle

As long as Golden State has some combination of Green, Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson on the court, the Warriors are going to be an elite team. Since Steve Kerr began experimenting with Green as a small-ball center last season, far and away their best results have come with those lineups.

Warriors With Green At PF Vs. C
PF MIN. NET RATING C MIN. NET RATING
2014-15 2237 +15.2 251 +27.8
Playoffs 545 +7.6 236 +24.4
2015-16 533 +15.0 107 +54.3
Source: NBA.com/Stats
Adding those up, Green has played 594 minutes at center over the last two seasons, including the 2015 playoffs. Golden State has outscored opponents by 31.2 points per 100 possessions during the span.

For context, the difference between the league's best net rating (the Warriors, at plus-16.8) and worst (the Philadelphia 76ers, at minus-12.1) is 28.9 points per 100 possessions. That's the kind of mismatch opponents face any time Green moves to center.

Of course, the success of Golden State's so-called "death lineup" goes beyond just Green. Small forward Harrison Barnes also has to move up a position and defend bigger opponents (we probably won't see Green at center much during Barnes' absence with a sprained ankle). Replacing centers Andrew Bogut and Festus Ezeli with wing Andre Iguodala gives the Warriors more quickness to trap and double-team on defense. And the shooting and playmaking of Curry and Thompson help Golden State exploit defensive mismatches.

Still, as other NBA teams seek to replicate the Warriors' small-ball success (a trend detailed by ESPN's Zach Lowe last week), it's clear that Green is the most difficult player to duplicate because of his ability to fulfill the responsibilities of a traditional center while giving Golden State many more skills than the typical 7-footer.

Green's defensive big-man skills

While Green hardly looks like a center, standing half a foot shorter than Gasol, for instance, the Warriors play league-leading defense with Green in the middle.

The most important job responsibility for a modern NBA center is protecting the rim, and that's become a Green specialty despite his size.

Blocked shots are how we have traditionally judged centers on the defensive end. With Whiteside averaging 4.7 blocks per game and DeAndre Jordan, one of Green's chief rivals for the designation of NBA's best center, averaging 2.7 BPG, the traditional defensive center is not dead.

At 1.4 blocked shots per game, Green is an above-average shot blocker for a power forward, though below average by the standards of centers. When we move to more revealing measures of rim protection, however, it becomes clear that Green has been difficult to score on around the basket.

In fact, SportVU tracking data on NBA.com/Stats has Green allowing the third-lowest percentage inside five feet among players who have defended at least five such shots per game.

Best Rim Protectors
PLAYER TEAM OPP. FGA OPP. FG%
Rudy Gobert UTA 9.0 .357
Serge Ibaka OKC 8.1 .393
Draymond Green GSW 5.8 .405
Tim Duncan SAS 8.1 .409
Bismack Biyombo TOR 5.3 .411
It's early and Green is unlikely to remain quite so stingy around the rim, but he finished last season 17th in opponent field-goal percentage around the basket, so his rim protection is at worst fairly average for a starting center.

Then there's the matter of post defense. Green compensates for his small stature with upper-body strength and a low center of gravity that makes him difficult for taller opponents to move on the block. Among players who have faced at least 25 shots off post-ups, per Synergy Sports tracking on NBA.com/Stats, the 32 percent shooting Green has allowed ranks as the fifth-lowest percentage in the league.

Last season, opponents shot a fairly average 43.4 percent against Green, but they also turned the ball over at the third-highest rate in the league.

The one area Green might come up short as a center is on the defensive glass. Only an average defensive rebounder for a power forward overall, Green's defensive rebound rate drops from 19.8 percent of all available misses in general to 15.9 percent when playing center, according to NBAwowy.com.

And as the Cleveland Cavaliers showed in last year's NBA Finals, the Warriors' small-ball lineups are vulnerable as a group to offensive rebounders. The "death lineup" is rebounding 72.9 percent of opponent misses, which would rank 29th in the league over the course of the season.

Still, Golden State's defensive rating with Green in the middle (89.9 points per 100 possessions) would be the NBA's best, and his ability to fulfill the traditional defensive duties of a center is a big reason why.

The versatile Draymond Green is dominating at the 5. AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez
Green's non-traditional offensive skills

While Green might be able to play like a center on defense, he doesn't play anything like one when the Warriors have the ball, and that's an excellent thing for their offense. This season has seen Green continue his development into offering the league's best combination of playmaking and shooting ability from a frontcourt player.

A 20.9 percent 3-point shooter as a rookie, when his limited ability to space the floor as a small forward was something of a liability, Green improved to nearly league average the last two seasons. In 2014-15, his volume more than his accuracy made him a threat -- he attempted 4.2 per game (seventh-most among power forwards and centers) while making only 33.7 of them.

Though it's too early to say whether his improvement is legitimate or just an early-season fluke, Green is making 40.3 percent of his 3-point attempts this season, making him nearly as accurate as Thompson (41.3 percent).

Green's development as a playmaker has been equally important and appears more sustainable. He leads Golden State by handing out 7.1 assists per game. If Green can keep it up, that would be the most assists for a player who played exclusively power forward or center since the ABA-NBA merger.

Besides players like Larry Bird and LeBron James who have swung between the forward spots, and Magic Johnson averaging 6.9 assists as a point forward when he returned to the NBA in 1995-96 after his first retirement, the modern record for a true post player is 6.2 assists per game by Boris Diaw in 2005-06 while playing for the Phoenix Suns.

Looking back throughout NBA history, Wilt Chamberlain is the only true post player to average more assists per game than Green this season, having handed out 7.8 per game in 1966-67 and 8.6 the following season. Fittingly, Chamberlain was the last Warrior before Green last week to have triple-doubles in consecutive games.

The case for Green

Green's unique versatility has made him a valuable player wherever he's played this season. ESPN's real plus-minus rates Green's performance sixth in the league, and tops among big men.

Best RPM Among Big Men
PLAYER TEAM ORPM DRPM RPM
Draymond Green GS 3.54 3.72 7.26
Paul Millsap ATL 3.86 2.93 6.79
Tim Duncan SA -0.07 5.89 5.82
Kevin Love CLE 4.85 0.79 5.64
DeAndre Jordan LAC 0.24 4.58 4.58
But can Green really be the best center in the league even though he plays power forward most of the time? Well, when the best team we've seen since Michael Jordan's retirement needs to outscore opponents, it puts Green at center. So he plays center in the best lineup in the league, he's playing better than any other center and that lineup is a key reason his team is undefeated. That sounds a lot like the NBA's best center to me.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on 2015-12-03, 10:10

LooseGoose wrote:NBL Canada ‏@NBLCanada 12h12 hours ago
With the 2nd pick of the #NBLC Draft, the @MonctonMiracles select Brandan Kearney, 6'7" from Detroit, MI!

Screw him. He quit on Izzo.

I've had watery pea soup, it's AWFUL.
Uh, I've had gelatinous, thick pea soup, it's TERRIBLE.
Pea soup, much like clam chowder, needs to have that consistency first, that you can stand the spoon up in it, but the spoon soon tilts, that's the consistency you want.
Number two: Uh, pea soup on it's own can be a little bland. It wants, uh, a fairly aggressive peppering and salting.
Number three: Pea soup needs a fine dice of ham. Not bacon, not any other meat, not turkey. It needs a fine dice of ham.
Uh, number four: Uh, pea soup scorches easily. You don't wanna heat it on a high heat. You wanna heat it on medium low, just until it's warmed through.
Uh, number five: Pea soup is best made, uh, by hand, not out of a Campbell's can. And the key to pea soup, you want a ham bone, uh, for the stock you make, uh, to, to boil your peas.
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-12-03, 10:12

I thought Draymond would make it in the NBA as a valuable role player, I never expected this.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-12-03, 10:13

Death Roe wrote:

I think he screwed himself when he did that.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 on 2015-12-03, 11:05

Death Roe wrote:

Hating once more....
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH on 2015-12-03, 19:43

LooseGoose wrote:
Death Roe wrote:

I think he screwed himself when he did that.

Exactly. Although I certainly didn't see it that way at the time, I think the team may have been better without him.

Yup, his loss, not MSU's.
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That on 2015-12-03, 19:47

His jersey looks like it's from my 8th grade basketball tryouts
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-12-04, 10:43

Draymond Green followed Jason Richardson's path: Saginaw to MSU to Warriors

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 on 2015-12-04, 11:05

LooseGoose wrote:Draymond Green followed Jason Richardson's path: Saginaw to MSU to Warriors

Would it be weiRd to retire their jerseys at the same time?
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2015-12-04, 12:23

They wore the same # didn't they?

JRich won't get his jersey retired and he shouldn't. He was only here 2 years.

Draymond is a lock to have his retired.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose on 2015-12-04, 12:27

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:They wore the same # didn't they?

Saying a guy shouldn't get his number retired after only 2 years is a dumb reason. Otherwise Magic wouldn't have one up there and that's just laughable.
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno on 2015-12-04, 12:31

Giant Moose wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:They wore the same # didn't they?

Saying a guy shouldn't get his number retired after only 2 years is a dumb reason. Otherwise Magic wouldn't have one up there and that's just laughable.

Yeah...JRich...Magic...same thing.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose on 2015-12-04, 12:32

NigelUno wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:

Well if he gave actual reasons instead of just saying 2 years, maybe I'd agree. His whole argument seemed to be that the guy was only here for 2 years so no. That's a dumb argument.
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno on 2015-12-04, 12:33

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:His jersey looks like it's from my 8th grade basketball tryouts

Stop bragGing you'Re betTer at baskeTball than blaNchie.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2015-12-04, 12:44

Giant Moose wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Well if he gave actual reasons instead of just saying 2 years, maybe I'd agree. His whole argument seemed to be that the guy was only here for 2 years so no. That's a dumb argument.

I don't really think more needs to be said. We know what JRich brought to the program during his 2 years here and it's not jersey-retirement worthy.

We also know what Magic brought and it's a little different.

Stop being a dick! I hate you! Creepy stalker.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 on 2015-12-04, 14:08

NigelUno wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:His jersey looks like it's from my 8th grade basketball tryouts

Obssession, your my obession
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 on 2015-12-04, 14:09

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:

I don't really think more needs to be said. We know what JRich brought to the program during his 2 years here and it's not jersey-retirement worthy.

We also know what Magic brought and it's a little different.

Stop being a dick! I hate you! Creepy stalker.

Jrich: 2 natty lites and a natty

Magic: 1 natty lites and a natty
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno on 2015-12-04, 14:12

Blanch32 wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

You have daddy issues.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 on 2015-12-04, 14:50

NigelUno wrote:
Blanch32 wrote:

You have daddy issues.

LPlease "no you have daddy issues!"
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-12-05, 08:00

Grand Rapids Drive ‏@grdleague 11h11 hours ago
BREAKING: The @LAClippers have assigned former @MSU_Basketball stud @whynot_22 to the Drive who'll be in GR Sunday!

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-12-05, 08:14

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-12-06, 21:53

Former MSU star Branden Dawson just trying to find his way as a pro

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-12-08, 19:14

Diamond Leung ‏@diamond83 3m3 minutes ago
Nice running into Gary Harris' dad at Indiana. Draymond Green left him tickets because of course he did.

====

Warriors vs Pacers on NBA TV right now.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-12-12, 08:42

NBA on ESPN ‏@ESPNNBA 9h9 hours ago
Draymond Green joined Hakeem Olajuwon and Derrick Coleman as the only players to ever put up a 20/10/5/5/5 line.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan on 2015-12-12, 08:55

LooseGoose wrote:NBA on ESPN ‏@ESPNNBA 9h9 hours ago
Draymond Green joined Hakeem Olajuwon and Derrick Coleman as the only players to ever put up a 20/10/5/5/5 line.

Day Day is my boy but I wouldn't make too much of a stat line that took 2 OTs to get.

Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2015-12-12, 09:03

CheesySpartan wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:NBA on ESPN ‏@ESPNNBA 9h9 hours ago

Day Day is my boy but I wouldn't make too much of a stat line that took 2 OTs to get.

See, the first thing that struck me was that GS was short handed and that mofo logged 50 minutes last night dragging world class athletes up and down the court without fouling out. I don't know if you played HS ball but playing 35 minutes was exhausting if you did it right. When you're tired you do stupid things. Those stats are impressive to me for that reason.

Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-12-12, 09:32

CBS Sports ‏@CBSSports 11h11 hours ago
Is there anything Draymond Green can't do?

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH on 2015-12-12, 09:40

LooseGoose wrote:CBS Sports ‏@CBSSports 11h11 hours ago
Is there anything Draymond Green can't do?

Nope. I'd ask him to cure cancer -- he might do it.
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH on 2015-12-12, 10:11

Bit of a stretch, as this guy never played for MSU, but he coached there, and the story is filled with MSU stuff. A great read. (I don't remember his scrap with Skiles, or his dropping 19 on Jud's team the next year.)

Wonderful winding road of coaching brings Jim Boylen to the Bulls
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-12-18, 11:22

A Chat With Draymond Green's Mom, NBA Trash Talk Legend

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2015-12-18, 21:51

AP is getting some 4th Q minutes in a tight one against Sac right now. He looks good. Energetic. Few mistakes, few nice plays, too. Huge block very high off the glass.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-12-21, 17:34

Grand Rapids Drive ‏@grdleague 38m38 minutes ago
BREAKING: Drive have signed former @MSU_Basketball big man Derrick Nix (@DerrickNix25). Welcome to GR, Derrick!

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That on 2015-12-21, 17:41

LooseGoose wrote:Grand Rapids Drive ‏@grdleague 38m38 minutes ago
BREAKING: Drive have signed former @MSU_Basketball big man Derrick Nix (@DerrickNix25). Welcome to GR, Derrick!

The Drive is just begging me to go see a game.
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 2015-12-21, 20:12

Payne on NBATV right meow.

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno on 2015-12-21, 20:21

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Grand Rapids Drive ‏@grdleague 38m38 minutes ago

The Drive is just begging me to go see a game.

You could be Nix's driver.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum