Fuck me. Going to spend $$ on Disney for my daughter.

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Fuck me. Going to spend $$ on Disney for my daughter.

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-01-19, 21:57

Brock Middlebrook wrote:

Are those at Epcot?

They will be someday.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT on 2015-01-19, 22:04

Man, that stinks. I hated Disney when I went as a kid (I was 11). It was way too hot and humid and it seemed like a lot of waiting around for rides that didn't live up to the hype. Also was to old to be really enamored by all the costumes and stuff, and felt bad my parents were spending so much money on what I thought was kind of an overrated theme park.

You should just not do it, and give the passes to someone else, or sell them somewhere.
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger on 2015-01-19, 23:01

There's a measles outbreak out west that started at Disney World. Mostly affecting people who didn't get vaccinated.

- Christopher Hitchens
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by beal99 on 2015-01-19, 23:46

LooseGoose wrote:

I have the same memories from taking my kids to multiple Civil War battlefields.  Lifetime memories for them.

Though perhaps the best was my middle son getting to meet Iron Chef Sakai after the Battle Rock Crab taping in NYC. What other kid has met and talked to Sakai and Michael Schenker by age 12? He's a better man for it today.

Gyahhhh, I would love to meet sakai
beal99
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm on 2015-01-19, 23:49

I.B. Fine wrote:Going with kids is the only way to justify the expense, because Disney is the master of guilting you out of waaay more than you plan/expect.

My question is the adults with no/grown kids that continue to go to Disney year after year.
Are they just overgrown geeks, or do they have to be pedophiles?

The wife and I went a couple years ago and stayed at one of the Disney resorts for a night. That wasn't too bad. We spent most of the time at downtown disney, or whatever they call it. We weren't about to drop $200 to go inside the actual park though since neither one of us has any interest in riding the rides.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-01-20, 00:31

beal99 wrote:

Gyahhhh, I would love to meet sakai

My kids and I never missed the japanese version of Iron Chef, I've never cared for the "America" version. Luckily I knew someone that worked at the Food Network so when they scheduled Battle New York he was able to get me tickets. It was a good time, we sat right behind Bobby Flay's GF and mother. The only disappointment was that Chen wasn't there, he was our favorite.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2015-01-20, 00:34

I'm with Nordic. She won't remember a thing.

Are the passes transferable? (ebay, craigslist, etc)

Can the passes be used at Disney Land, too?
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Ricard on 2015-01-20, 08:57

InTenSity wrote:
I understand that. Even still, cost to drive up there, shouldn't be too bad, but roundtrip, looking at probably about $75 (30ish in tolls). Hotel for 3 nights is going to run about $450. Food for 3 days, if you're conservative is going to run at least $100, probably a bit more realistic, cuz I'm gonna need beer, is $200.

I'm guessing that even with free tickets, its still going to run us about $750 to $1000.

Don't forget that you'll also have to pay income taxes on the tickets you 'won'.

We did the Disney thing 2 times. The second time was in 2001 right after 9/11. They were practically giving away tickets and hotel rooms then. We also did Discovery Cove on the second trip. That was something I actually enjoyed.

Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2015-01-20, 13:07

meh...

it's not my scene but you'll do a lot of things for your kids that aren't your scene. I didn't enjoy standing around with a gaggle of soccer parents when my daughter (sorry Forbin) was little.. but she enjoyed being with her friends, etc - and eventually moved on to other interests.

as you probably know, life with your kids isn't about "stuff" - it's about experiences. The cheap plastic stuff will be lost, broken, discarded, etc - but the experiences of being with your daughter and making memories with your family will be what lasts.. so enjoy the moment. The experiences will evolve over time and you can mold, guide and direct them, especially as your daughter gets a bit older. I suggest traveling with your family - absolutely priceless experiences where so much can be gained.
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Ricard on 2015-01-21, 01:32

Robert J Sakimano wrote:meh...

it's not my scene but you'll do a lot of things for your kids that aren't your scene. I didn't enjoy standing around with a gaggle of soccer parents when my daughter (sorry Forbin) was little.. but she enjoyed being with her friends, etc - and eventually moved on to other interests.

as you probably know, life with your kids isn't about "stuff" - it's about experiences. The cheap plastic stuff will be lost, broken, discarded, etc - but the experiences of being with your daughter and making memories with your family will be what lasts.. so enjoy the moment. The experiences will evolve over time and you can mold, guide and direct them, especially as your daughter gets a bit older. I suggest traveling with your family - absolutely priceless experiences where so much can be gained.

Good god Bob - if you got any more sappy you'd be a fucking tree.

How was Nicuarga or how ever you spell it?

Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim on 2015-01-21, 02:59

The Pantry wrote:I'm with Nordic. She won't remember a thing.
Perfect!

signed,

Forbin
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic on 2015-01-21, 03:03

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Y'all are too high strung.

Took my kids to WDW in AUGUST when my son was 3.5 and my daughter was 7 months old. Prepped and planned appropriately and it is probably one of my favorite trips I've ever taken in my life. The entertainment, fun and memories they got out of that trip was spectacular. We are going back this summer, in bizarre fashion I kind of can't wait.

Yeah, but you also like going to parades, xmas tree lighting cremonies, ice carving festivals, etc.
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim on 2015-01-21, 03:05

Just in case anyone was tempted, they have staff there who are trained to spot people who have taken large amounts of LSD. They follow you around all day dressed in different costumes, until you eventually crack and confess everything to Snow White. Shit goes seriously downhill from there.
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito on 2015-01-21, 03:11

Cym Jim wrote:Just in case anyone was tempted, they have staff there who are trained to spot people who have taken large amounts of LSD. They follow you around all day dressed in different costumes, until you eventually crack and confess everything to Snow White. Shit goes seriously downhill from there.

The next time I go back there, and spend Magical Amounts of Money, I'm definitely going to come here and find out where I can get some LSD to last for a week. What could that possible cost $50.00 or so?
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2015-01-21, 03:45

Nordic wrote:

Yeah, but you also like going to parades, xmas tree lighting cremonies, ice carving festivals, etc.

Hey. I never said I liked that shit. I HATED it. That shit wasn't for my kids, it was for my wife to be placated because she THOUGHT it was fun for my kids. My 5 yo hated it, too. I think I posted it before, but I had to very succinctly explain to him that even though stuff wasn't fun, sometimes we have to do it just because mom thinks it sounds like fun. He nodded knowingly.

WDW was actually fun for my kids, thus I enjoyed it.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2015-01-21, 12:51

Frank Ricard wrote:

Good god Bob - if you got any more sappy you'd be a fucking tree.

How was Nicuarga or how ever you spell it?
thanks..

it was good, thanks.. the particular area we were in was a bit more isolated than other areas we've been to in that part of the world - which was fine. Beautiful country, though - did some mountain biking, some surfing, etc
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor on 2015-01-21, 16:22

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Y'all are too high strung.

Took my kids to WDW in AUGUST when my son was 3.5 and my daughter was 7 months old. Prepped and planned appropriately and it is probably one of my favorite trips I've ever taken in my life. The entertainment, fun and memories they got out of that trip was spectacular. We are going back this summer, in bizarre fashion I kind of can't wait.

Bingo WhiteBoy. I went in late Feb with a 7 and 5 year old. I think I had more fun than the kids. I was really skeptical at first but we all loved it. We just hung out at Magic kingdom cause that's all the kids were into at the time. We'd go to the resort and swim for lunch and then back to MK for light parades, dinner, fireworks, etc. can't wait to get back.
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cool Runnings on 2015-01-21, 16:46

I've been once in elementary school, once in middle school and again in high school and had fun all three times. Obviously it was the best as a young kid but there's still plenty to do as an adult.
Cool Runnings
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2015-01-21, 16:53

Almost have a hotel picked out. I'm hoping we aren't at it too much, but no telling how tired my daughter will get (although she's a trooper). Parents are going to come down as well, so maybe tWife and I can go on a few rides ourselves. We're going to buy the Florida passes, and give my parents the passes that we won.

We don't have to claim the passes, there were no forms to fill out as their retail value is under $600.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2015-01-21, 17:30

InTenSity wrote:Almost have a hotel picked out. I'm hoping we aren't at it too much, but no telling how tired my daughter will get (although she's a trooper). Parents are going to come down as well, so maybe tWife and I can go on a few rides ourselves We're going to buy the Florida passes, and give my parents the passes that we won.
awww yeah....

Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck on 2015-01-21, 17:32

Robert J Sakimano wrote: did some mountain biking, some surfing, etc

Translation: joined a Latin American leftist group.
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2015-01-21, 17:41

Turtleneck wrote:

Translation: joined a Latin American leftist group.
we indulged in the Milk of the Infidel....

Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2015-02-16, 19:53

The forecast for Thursday is a high of 55 and a low of 33, for Friday it is a high of 61 and a low of 41. I'd probably have to go back 10 years or more to find it that cold in mid Feb in Florida. 
I broke down and bought some non work pants, now I might have to buy tennis shoes. 

Also, who would have thought a random weekday in Feb would be busy? Apparently there is a Princess half marathon that weekend, so the place is going to be packed. Its also going to warm up over the weekend to Sat, but we aren't staying for the weekend.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook on 2015-02-16, 21:02

Have fun!
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook on 2015-02-16, 21:03

Did you have to get a non-work jacket too?
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2015-02-16, 21:18

Brock Middlebrook wrote:Did you have to get a non-work jacket too?
I don't even own a jacket. I don't have any clothes for when it gets to be a high in the 50's. I don't even have tennis shoes. I have work shoes, sandals, and golf shoes.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2015-02-16, 21:24

InTenSity wrote:The forecast for Thursday is a high of 55 and a low of 33, for Friday it is a high of 61 and a low of 41. I'd probably have to go back 10 years or more to find it that cold in mid Feb in Florida. 
I broke down and bought some non work pants, now I might have to buy tennis shoes. 

Also, who would have thought a random weekday in Feb would be busy? Apparently there is a Princess half marathon that weekend, so the place is going to be packed. Its also going to warm up over the weekend to Sat, but we aren't staying for the weekend.
Orlando can easily be 10+ degrees colder than Miami in the winter. My wife used to work at a place that would have annual meetings in Orlando in mid-late January, and my daughter and I would go with her for about 4 years straight, and make a weekend out of it. I remember one morning having to scrape frost off my windshield....which really fucking sucks when you live in Miami and don't own, nor have even thought of, a window scraper in some 10-15 years.

Hopefully it will be sunny, as that may make the temps kind of pleasant. Take extra sweatshirts or jackets and rent a locker to store them if it warms up (with the kids, renting a locker isn't a bad idea anyway, just to keep extra things in case of emergency). Being at Disney all day, as long as it's not raining, I'd prefer those colder temps that you typically get up there from May through September or October.
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2015-02-16, 21:28

By the way, any day in Feb and March will be busy there. But you also picked the week of President's Day. Probably only the week before or after Easter would be more busy. My nephews in Michigan have tomorrow off, as well as today, for their mid-winter break, and that's probably fairly common in the north. So you get a lot of people that choose this week to not take as much school off, while avoiding the extra crazy crowds around Easter/Spring break.
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2015-02-16, 21:29

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Orlando can easily be 10+ degrees colder than Miami in the winter.  My wife used to work at a place that would have annual meetings in Orlando in mid-late January, and my daughter and I would go with her for about 4 years straight, and make a weekend out of it.  I remember one morning having to scrape frost off my windshield....which really fucking sucks when you live in Miami and don't own, nor have even thought of, a window scraper in some 10-15 years.

Hopefully it will be sunny, as that may make the temps kind of pleasant.  Take extra sweatshirts or jackets and rent a locker to store them if it warms up (with the kids, renting a locker isn't a bad idea anyway, just to keep extra things in case of emergency).  Being at Disney all day, as long as it's not raining, I'd prefer those colder temps that you typically get up there from May through September or October.
You know how it is after a front comes through. Except for the day its coming through it will be sunny and windy and very windy. I just find it funny that the only 2 days I'm going, and I could have picked different days, its going to be cold. It is supposed to be sunny. I'll be fine, I just hope we have enough for my daughter. Fortunately toddler clothing is relatively cheap and my parents are coming in from MI, so they can bring her something warmer to wear.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan on 2015-02-17, 02:19

InTenSity wrote:The forecast for Thursday is a high of 55 and a low of 33, for Friday it is a high of 61 and a low of 41. I'd probably have to go back 10 years or more to find it that cold in mid Feb in Florida. 

Yeah...its going to be a high of 5 here Thursday...5

Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2015-02-17, 05:06

Booked our trip for late June. Free lodging and airfare on points. Everything else, not so much. Booked Chef Mickey's for breakfast buffet. Looking forward to it strangely. Think my little dude might be tall enough to ride Space Mountain this year.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2015-02-17, 14:55

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Booked our trip for late June. Free lodging and airfare on points. Everything else, not so much. Booked Chef Mickey's for breakfast buffet. Looking forward to it strangely. Think my little dude might be tall enough to ride Space Mountain this year.
You're going during Sauna Season?

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook on 2015-02-17, 16:12

InTenSity wrote:
You're going during Sauna Season?

I did it last year (late June). It was hot as fuck.

But, at least I didn't have to wear my non-work jacket.
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-02-23, 15:53

Disney Raises Ticket Prices At U.S. Theme Parks; Magic Kingdom Now $105

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/22/disney-ticket-prices_n_6732756.html

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GatorBill on 2015-02-23, 16:32

Herbie Green wrote:You are going to be miserable and blow a ton of cash.

your pic of Earv is awesome!! Two Thumbs up!!

Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2015-02-23, 16:36

Magic Kingdom is horrible. The rides for a random Thursday in Feb were all over 1 hour. We were only able to do the fastpasses that we had. The only thing that made the day somewhat worth it was seeing my daughter light up at the sight of the princess. She hated Mickey Mouse and any character in a costume. My face got scratched up because she was so scared of Mickey and she wouldn't let me pick her up. Epcot was a little better, not as crowded until around 4pm and then suddenly the place became harder to walk through than Magic Kingdom. I'll post some pictures later when I get time though.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook on 2015-02-23, 16:48

InTenSity wrote:I'll post some pictures later when I get time though.

Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer on 2015-02-23, 18:49

The_Dude wrote:

Besides Gettysburg what are some other good Civil War battlefields to see?
Harper's Ferry
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer on 2015-02-23, 18:50

Doing this for a 2 year old? OP is not the brightest.
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2015-02-23, 18:53

Gomer wrote:Doing this for a 2 year old? OP is not the brightest.
Considering she doesn't need a ticket, I'm not sure I'd say that. Saved myself $200.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum