Post by Nordic on 2016-07-12, 19:34

If you're ever in by the Palace, hit G's Pizzeria and get the Super G
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Re: tOfficial Pizza Thread

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2016-07-12, 19:47

Anybody been to this place that took over Hatchy's in Utica? It opened a few weeks ago. Wood fired pizza is supposed to to be their specialty.
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2016-07-12, 20:36

Floyd Robertson wrote:Anybody been to this place that took over Hatchy's in Utica? It opened a few weeks ago. Wood fired pizza is supposed to to be their specialty.
Not yet but will definitely check it out. Workplace orders in a number of working lunches and has been looking for something new. Know if they deliver?
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2016-07-12, 20:42

The Pantry wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:Anybody been to this place that took over Hatchy's in Utica? It opened a few weeks ago. Wood fired pizza is supposed to to be their specialty.
Not yet but will definitely check it out. Workplace orders in a number of working lunches and has been looking for something new. Know if they deliver?

Might depend on the size of the order but I did see something on their website about catering.
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2016-07-12, 21:12

Floyd Robertson wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Not yet but will definitely check it out. Workplace orders in a number of working lunches and has been looking for something new. Know if they deliver?

Might depend on the size of the order but I did see something on their website about catering.
Saw the catering thing but nothing about general delivery. Sent them an email to see if they will deliver to the Mound/Metro Parkway area. Nothing back yet
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2016-07-13, 10:25

The Pantry wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Saw the catering thing but nothing about general delivery. Sent them an email to see if they will deliver to the Mound/Metro Parkway area. Nothing back yet

It's scary how close our offices are.
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2016-07-13, 11:48

Floyd Robertson wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Saw the catering thing but nothing about general delivery. Sent them an email to see if they will deliver to the Mound/Metro Parkway area. Nothing back yet

In the area?

They replied back...no delivery
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-07-13, 12:52

The Pantry wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

In the area?

Did you threaten them with the power of the Swill?

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2016-07-13, 12:54

LooseGoose wrote:
The Pantry wrote:In the area?

Did you threaten them with the power of the Swill?
Tell them Floyd will unfollow their instagram.
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2016-07-16, 00:44

Stopped by Lowes to pick up a couple things on the way home this evening. Pulling into the lot saw the NKD pizza place that opened a few months ago. Never tried it so placed an order with my phone before going into Lowes.

Picked it up 20 minutes later. Not another customer in the place. $12 for a large (14") pizza with only sauce. Cheese was extra, along with pepperoni, mushrooms, onions, and tri-colored peppers. Total bill with tax was over $23.

Very thin crust. Decent, but not great tasting pizza. Will never get pizza there again with better and cheaper alternatives available.

Really strange pizza chain with the only locations in SE Michigan, Virginia, and fucking Dubai. Whomever bought franchise rights for the location near me must be outta their mind thinking it can float in this pizza market.

The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2016-07-16, 06:13

The Pantry wrote:Stopped by Lowes to pick up a couple things on the way home this evening.  Pulling into the lot saw the NKD pizza place that opened a few months ago.  Never tried it so placed an order with my phone before going into Lowes.

Picked it up 20 minutes later.  Not another customer in the place.  $12 for a large (14") pizza with only sauce.  Cheese was extra, along with pepperoni, mushrooms, onions, and tri-colored peppers.  Total bill with tax was over $23.

Very thin crust.  Decent, but not great tasting pizza.  Will never get pizza there again with better and cheaper alternatives available.

Really strange pizza chain with the only locations in SE Michigan, Virginia, and fucking Dubai. Whomever bought franchise rights for the location near me must be outta their mind thinking it can float in this pizza market.

When the hell is cheese not standard on a pizza? I'm boycotting that place.
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on 2016-07-16, 11:55

Just tried out this new place near me called Pizza Hut. Very good pizza.

I've had watery pea soup, it's AWFUL.
Uh, I've had gelatinous, thick pea soup, it's TERRIBLE.
Pea soup, much like clam chowder, needs to have that consistency first, that you can stand the spoon up in it, but the spoon soon tilts, that's the consistency you want.
Number two: Uh, pea soup on it's own can be a little bland. It wants, uh, a fairly aggressive peppering and salting.
Number three: Pea soup needs a fine dice of ham. Not bacon, not any other meat, not turkey. It needs a fine dice of ham.
Uh, number four: Uh, pea soup scorches easily. You don't wanna heat it on a high heat. You wanna heat it on medium low, just until it's warmed through.
Uh, number five: Pea soup is best made, uh, by hand, not out of a Campbell's can. And the key to pea soup, you want a ham bone, uh, for the stock you make, uh, to, to boil your peas.
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2016-10-29, 22:38

Was mildly bummed after the game.  6 straight losses sucks but was glad they kept it reasonably close against the supposedly #2 team in the country.  Got a chuckle out of the backward little bro banner pic...thanks for posting CB.

Not sure what it is but get a craving for Alibi pizza every 2-3 months.  Super plus onions.  So. Damn. Good.

I feel better now and can move on from the clusterfuck this season has been.  Bring on basketball season!

GO GREEN!
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2016-10-29, 22:50

Wife picked up Alibi for her and the kids tonight.

Little dude had a half day on Wednesday. We went up to Romeo to find the biggest fuckin' pumpkin we could. On the way back we hit up this new place on Van Dyke in Washington Township called Pizza Nostalgia. It was outstanding.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-02-09, 11:59

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainSlow33 on 2017-02-09, 12:02

Death Roe wrote:Just tried out this new place near me called Pizza Hut. Very good pizza.

Sounds exotic. Eager to hear more.
CaptainSlow33
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on 2017-02-09, 12:35

I liked it.

I've had watery pea soup, it's AWFUL.
Uh, I've had gelatinous, thick pea soup, it's TERRIBLE.
Pea soup, much like clam chowder, needs to have that consistency first, that you can stand the spoon up in it, but the spoon soon tilts, that's the consistency you want.
Number two: Uh, pea soup on it's own can be a little bland. It wants, uh, a fairly aggressive peppering and salting.
Number three: Pea soup needs a fine dice of ham. Not bacon, not any other meat, not turkey. It needs a fine dice of ham.
Uh, number four: Uh, pea soup scorches easily. You don't wanna heat it on a high heat. You wanna heat it on medium low, just until it's warmed through.
Uh, number five: Pea soup is best made, uh, by hand, not out of a Campbell's can. And the key to pea soup, you want a ham bone, uh, for the stock you make, uh, to, to boil your peas.
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by P Rob on 2017-02-09, 14:38

Death Roe wrote:I liked it.

I've also tried this Pizza Hut place. They put cheese in the crust. Mind. Blown.

Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That on 2017-02-09, 14:40

Pizza hut is terrible.
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2017-02-09, 14:41

Pizza is a $30 billion per year industry. There are approximately 61,269 pizzerias in the United States. (Source: American Business Lists, Omaha, Nebraska.) Each man, woman and child in America eats an average of 46 slices (23 pounds) of pizza a year.

23 lbs

Holy shit, so I eat maybe 8lbs a year. That means that there's a schlep out there eating 38 lbs worth. affraid
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by P Rob on 2017-02-09, 15:28

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Pizza hut is terrible.

I find for the price you can do a helluva lot better elsewhere.

Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2017-02-09, 15:32

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Pizza is a $30 billion per year industry. There are approximately 61,269 pizzerias in the United States. (Source: American Business Lists, Omaha, Nebraska.) Each man, woman and child in America eats an average of 46 slices (23 pounds) of pizza a year.

23 lbs

Holy shit, so I eat maybe 8lbs a year. That means that there's a schlep out there eating 38 lbs worth. affraid

Raises hand. 4 or 5 times.

I work my ass off though to not absorb too many of those lbs.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoops21 on 2017-02-09, 16:17

Had jets for lunch. So much ranch on top. Going to be at the gym for awhile today

Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-02-12, 18:09

Anyone try Jets new Jetzee® sandwiches?

Jetzee

Have tried a few varieties...steak & cheese, Italian, and tuna. They all suck IMO because there's just too much bread component using the pizza dough.
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2017-02-12, 18:13

The Pantry wrote:Anyone try Jets new Jetzee® sandwiches?

Jetzee

Have tried a few varieties...steak & cheese, Italian, and tuna. They all suck IMO because there's just too much bread component using the pizza dough.
This is just a weird comment. You're telling us they all suck because after the first one sucked, you tried more.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-02-12, 18:48

InTenSity wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Anyone try Jets new Jetzee® sandwiches?  

Jetzee

Have tried a few varieties...steak & cheese, Italian, and tuna.  They all suck IMO because there's just too much bread component using the pizza dough.
This is just a weird comment. You're telling us they all suck because after the first one sucked, you tried more.
One is too small a sample size to cast judgment on.

Got desperate ordering the last one (tuna), hoping it would change my mind.  Ordered it in memory of EL Bells tuna grinder, which was fucking awesome back when the dorms didn't serve dinner Sunday evening.  

The tuna Jetzee was the worst of the three I tried, by far.  Jets seems to have no fucking clue how to make simple tuna salad.  Their HQ is less than a mile from work.  Had thought about stopping by to offer constructive criticism & recipes but decided I'd rather wait to see the Jetzee sandwich eventually fail on its own.
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That on 2017-02-12, 19:00

The Pantry wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

Got desperate ordering the last one (tuna), hoping it would change my mind.  Ordered it in memory of EL Bells tuna grinder, which was fucking awesome back when the dorms didn't serve dinner Sunday evening.  

The tuna Jetzee was the worst of the three I tried, by far.  Jets seems to have no fucking clue how to make simple tuna salad.  Their HQ is less than a mile from work.  Had thought about stopping by to offer constructive criticism & recipes but decided I'd rather wait to see the Jetzee sandwich eventually fail on its own.

Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-03-18, 14:38

Went to work for a few hours this morning. Was getting hungry by the time I went to leave and started thinking of places I could hit on the way home. Ended up ordering a Detroit style supreme (pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, onions & green pepper) from Buscemis.

Had forgotten how good Buscemis pizza is...the original Detroit square pizza. Their Detroit style is better than Jets and not as pricey.

The Original Buscemis
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad on 2017-03-18, 14:48

Really wish they'd open a Buddy's or Lou Malnatti's in GR. A Pizza House would be nice too. Just sayin!
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2017-03-18, 16:35

The Pantry wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

You really should. I'm sure they'd love hearing from you. If they seem hesitant at first, insist they let you prove yourself in their test kitchens.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-03-18, 17:46

tGreenWay wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

You really should. I'm sure they'd love hearing from you. If they seem hesitant at first, insist they let you prove yourself in their test kitchens.
Scoff all you want. First, I'd have to impress them with my knowledge of the company since it began with the first store. Owners lived two streets over from my parents home.

I could make their tuna Jetzee incredible in less than 5 minutes in a test kitchen. The rest of the Jetzee's would take more time.
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2017-03-18, 18:26

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Scoff all you want. First, I'd have to impress them with my knowledge of the company since it began with the first store. Owners lived two streets over from my parents home.

I could make their tuna Jetzee incredible in less than 5 minutes in a test kitchen. The rest of the Jetzee's would take more time.

I have no doubt you could. Seriously. But it's their response at your offering that I'd love to see. They'd probably think you'd escaped from the Ypsilanti psych hospital.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2017-03-27, 23:18

The Pantry wrote:Went to work for a few hours this morning.  Was getting hungry by the time I went to leave and started thinking of places I could hit on the way home.  Ended up ordering a Detroit style supreme (pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, onions & green pepper) from Buscemis.  

Had forgotten how good Buscemis pizza is...the original Detroit square pizza.  Their Detroit style is better than Jets and not as pricey.

The Original Buscemis

Had a busy AM/early afternoon today - did not get a chance to eat, and a Dr appt at 1:40 out on the East side. It took longer than expected and I had about 40 minutes to get home and leave for school pickup. Decided to call in to a Buscemi's on my way home and pick one up for carryout.

I have to say....f'ing excellent. Definitely better than Jets. Not close imo.

I would not call it a true Detroit style, it's more like the "fast" Detroit style (i.e. it appears cheese is straight mozz, toppings go on top of cheese...but I do think they do the sauce on top of cheese unlike Jets and other chains). But it is legit. Good lookin out Pantry.

This might be my new favorite Detroit style pie in the area behind Buddy's and Loui's (and perhaps Gathering Place).

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-03-27, 23:26

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Went to work for a few hours this morning.  Was getting hungry by the time I went to leave and started thinking of places I could hit on the way home.  Ended up ordering a Detroit style supreme (pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, onions & green pepper) from Buscemis.  

Had forgotten how good Buscemis pizza is...the original Detroit square pizza.  Their Detroit style is better than Jets and not as pricey.

The Original Buscemis

Had a busy AM/early afternoon today - did not get a chance to eat, and a Dr appt at 1:40 out on the East side. It took longer than expected and I had about 40 minutes to get home and leave for school pickup. Decided to call in to a Buscemi's on my way home and pick one up for carryout.

I have to say....f'ing excellent. Definitely better than Jets. Not close imo.

I would not call it a true Detroit style, it's more like the "fast" Detroit style (i.e. it appears cheese is straight mozz, toppings go on top of cheese...but I do think they do the sauce on top of cheese unlike Jets and other chains). But it is legit. Good lookin out Pantry.

This might be my new favorite Detroit style pie in the area behind Buddy's and Loui's (and perhaps Gathering Place).

30 years ago when I would tire of their pizza I'd occasionally get one of their Steak & Mushroom sandwiches. Very, very solid sandwich. Keep that in mind for future stops.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-03-27, 23:49

Been so many years since I had Buddy's I can't even comment on it now. Still have not tried Loui's. Gathering Place is good...should hit it up more.

That Buscemis has changed since it was built. Started out like it wanted to be a high fashion shop....think it was run by one of the kids. New owner seems to have done pretty well with it. Buscemis pizza like I remember from years ago.
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-04-10, 08:23

Mental Floss‏Verified account @mental_floss 7h7 hours ago
More
Yes, Cadbury Creme Egg Pizza Exists — bit.ly 2oAg2oz

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-04-11, 19:47

Ordered Jets Sunday evening to have while watching the closing ceremony at Joe Louis (Little Caesars delivery is almost non-existent around here). Usually go with the square Super Special but decided to try something different. Online-ordered a Bold Fold (their bold pepperoni NY style) plus extra cheese, onions, and mushrooms.

Got delivered in about 30 minutes. Mushrooms and onions were there but not a single slice of pepperoni. Called the store to report the discrepancy and got a correct pie delivered about 20 minutes later.

After thinking about it, I may have hit on a glitch in Jets online ordering system.

The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-05-04, 19:14

Picked up another Detroit style (Supreme) from Buscemi's (Rochester Rd/Big Beaver). Crust is lighter and more pleasant to eat than Jets. The sauce is more flavorful than Jets too.

Jets only upside is they deliver.
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2017-05-04, 23:31

I would agree, I've tried it a couple of times and that is an excellent Detroit style pie. I would not put it over Buddy's or Loui's certainly or even the Gathering Place but it's far and away the best of the "fast" Detroit pies. Not even close. And it's pretty cheap, too.

Do you think all locations make same/similar pies? I'm scared to go to one other than the Hall Rd one because they've been so solid.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-05-05, 08:57

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I would agree, I've tried it a couple of times and that is an excellent Detroit style pie. I would not put it over Buddy's or Loui's certainly or even the Gathering Place but it's far and away the best of the "fast" Detroit pies. Not even close. And it's pretty cheap, too.

Do you think all locations make same/similar pies? I'm scared to go to one other than the Hall Rd one because they've been so solid.
30 years ago they were all pretty similar - does that count?

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum