tOfficial Pizza Thread

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: tOfficial Pizza Thread

Post by The Pantry on 2017-05-05, 09:32

Rochester Rd/Big Beaver and 15 & Mound are solid.

Would not go to 17 & Ryan again
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-05-18, 22:29

Someone at work today mentioned a place called Tania's in Royal Oak.  Proverbial light bulb went off in my head.

First house was in RO between 12 & 13 and Main & Crooks.  Best pizza nearby was Nero's at 13 & Main but they sold the place and the pizza was never the same.  Sold the house in '91 but remember trying Tania's pizza (13 & Crooks) thinking it was pretty good.  

Still there after 30 years and on my to-do-again list

Tania's
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2017-05-19, 09:01

I've had Tania's a handful of times. Lots of people rave about it but I don't really find it that great. It's edible for sure. The catch is that it's a "stuffed" pizza, and those aren't really common around here and so I think people think it's awesome. It's basically just a regular ol' round pizza with another crust/dough on top. Everything about the pizza itself is quite average.

Occasionally I will get a hankerin for a stuffed pizza (I love the one they make at Spagnuolo's) and other than Tania's one of the only places around here that I can find that makes one is Georgio's in downtown Rochester. It's pretty good and their pizza is pretty quality overall. My only problem with Georgio's is they won't make their stuffed pizza to order. It comes with ham, genoa salami, pepperoni, Italian sausage, meatballs and provolone. Period. Not my select set of ingredients.

On another note, if you haven't tried Crispelli's, it's very good. I picked some pizza and other food up from there for Mother's Day. I didn't realize until I went to pick up that they also make a Detroit style. I will be trying that at some point in the not too distant future.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2017-05-19, 17:27

And on another note, Gumby's in EL is closing. I guess it's now Goombah's?

Their pizza was always sub par but they were the only ones delivering untiil 4 AM. And Pokey Stix.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2017-05-25, 22:48

http://www.freep.com/story/news/2017/05/26/pepperoni-lawsuit/347564001/

I don't understand. This reeks of bullshit. Even in Dearborn, did this guy think Little Caesar's was gonna source some Halal beef pepperoni? Did they claim it was Halal beef pepperoni? I think once you saw the red fucking pepperoni you would realize it was standard LC 'roni and not eat it. Beef pepp is darker. A chain like LC is not gonna go out of their way and source Halal beef pepperoni.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-05-26, 09:17

Halal beef bacon is actually very good
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-05-31, 23:24

Gotta give another prop to Buscemi's. Been bored with chicken salads available everywhere. They were cool taking my order for a salad not on the menu.

Were somewhat amused but seemed to be seriously thinking when I picked it up and said they should put it on the menu. I named it the Philly Cheesesteak Salad:

Lettuce mix
Rib-eye (used on their steak subs)
Provolone
Onions
Green pepper
Mushrooms

Was delicious with Italian dressing on the side

The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-06-01, 19:47

Cheesesteak salad was good, considering they made it for first time, but needs some work next time.

Steak was sliced too thin, chopped too small, and not medium rare like I asked. Provolone was cut too big, as were the mushrooms. Green pepper and onions were sliced about right.

The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2017-06-01, 19:56

The Pantry wrote:Rochester Rd/Big Beaver and 15 & Mound are solid.

17 & Ryan used to just be an independent liquor store IIRC until they slapped a Buscemi's sign on it about 6-7 years ago. I wouldn't really consider it a Buscemi's, and I bet a Buscemi's doesn't even bother to inspect the quality.
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-06-01, 20:28

Floyd Robertson wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Rochester Rd/Big Beaver and 15 & Mound are solid.

17 & Ryan used to just be an independent liquor store IIRC until they slapped a Buscemi's sign on it about 6-7 years ago. I wouldn't really consider it a Buscemi's, and I bet a Buscemi's doesn't even bother to inspect the quality.
Yeah. Nothing about that store seems clean.
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by gHost Spartan on 2017-06-01, 21:13

Coincidentally I'm eating a fresh out of the oven personal pizza tonight omg so fucking good
gHost Spartan
Ephor (Advocate)
Ephor (Advocate)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-07-06, 20:42

Good news. Work switched up the Jets order today. Got Jetzee's today in addition to the usual pizzas and salad.

The Italian Jetzee was actually pretty good this time. Apparently Jets has reworked it. The pizza/bread wasn't as thick as before, bringing the balance of bread and filling more in line.

Going to order an Italian Jetzee soon and add pepperoni and mushrooms to it.
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-07-14, 22:02

Not pizza related.

Phone ordered subs from Ventimiglia's today. Been there before, but not at lunchtime. Place was semi-crazy. Tables outside in front were full. At least 40 people inside the store, all waiting at the deli counter for subs

The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-08-09, 17:00

Little Caesars moves ahead....

Skip the counter with Little Caesars new 'Reserve-N-Ready' service

According to the company, this service features a breakthrough device called the Pizza Portal, the first heated, self-service mobile order pick-up station in the quick service restaurant industry.

Customers can now get hot, freshly-prepared custom products in their hands seconds after they walk in the store using an automated, self-service hot-holding technology.

The Reserve-N-Ready uses the convenience of mobile ordering, pre-payment and heated self-service pick up to create a new experience for customers.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-08-09, 17:30

LooseGoose wrote:Little Caesars moves ahead....

Interesting test markets.  14 stores around Tucson (?)...and one store in Troy that's on my way home from work.  Might check it out.

Too bad that location would not accommodate a drive-thru setup.

Little Caesars' Reserve-N-Ready quickens pizza pickup at Troy store
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2017-08-10, 08:56

Not a fan of frozen pizza but this is still a tragedy.

ABC News‏Verified account @ABC  33s34 seconds ago
18-wheeler containing frozen DiGiorno and Tombstone pizzas crashes, spilling the pies across an Arkansas highway. http://abcn.ws/2usJnRu 
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on 2017-08-10, 09:27

People in that area will be getting some free pizzas for sure.

I've had watery pea soup, it's AWFUL.
Uh, I've had gelatinous, thick pea soup, it's TERRIBLE.
Pea soup, much like clam chowder, needs to have that consistency first, that you can stand the spoon up in it, but the spoon soon tilts, that's the consistency you want.
Number two: Uh, pea soup on it's own can be a little bland. It wants, uh, a fairly aggressive peppering and salting.
Number three: Pea soup needs a fine dice of ham. Not bacon, not any other meat, not turkey. It needs a fine dice of ham.
Uh, number four: Uh, pea soup scorches easily. You don't wanna heat it on a high heat. You wanna heat it on medium low, just until it's warmed through.
Uh, number five: Pea soup is best made, uh, by hand, not out of a Campbell's can. And the key to pea soup, you want a ham bone, uh, for the stock you make, uh, to, to boil your peas.
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-08-10, 18:28

The Pantry wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Little Caesars moves ahead....

Interesting test markets.  14 stores around Tucson (?)...and one store in Troy that's on my way home from work.  Might check it out.

Too bad that location would not accommodate a drive-thru setup.

Little Caesars' Reserve-N-Ready quickens pizza pickup at Troy store
Downloaded the LC app and went to order a pizza on my phone. Got to the checkout and it said the store was closed. They must be having technical issues with the fancy new oven.

Dinner plan B: Went to the Taco Bell near my house to pick up 3 crunchy tacos. Discovered that location raised prices again. $1.59 for a plain taco. Talked with the kid at the window and he said the store is a franchise and sets their own prices. Said he won't even eat there. Corporate TB's like the one on Rochester Rd sell the taco for $1.29. Boycotting that TB (18 & Dequindre) for the foreseeable future.

The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2017-08-12, 03:35

I can't believe I'm still awake. My kids love LC and we were watching the neighbor's kid tonight. LC it is. I downloaded the app and the whole process was pretty seamless. 3 digit code. Boop boop boop. Pizza and bread served up. Unfortunately it's still Little Caesar's but hey the kids seem to dig it.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-08-30, 17:49

Forgot to mention I tried LC's Reserve-N-Ready. Picked up an Extra Most Bestest on the way home from work to watch the eclipse. The oven has 10 or 12 doors. Punch in your 3 digit order number and a door pops open.

LC isn't too bad. The sauce has decent spice to it and the cheese mix is good. Only thing that sucks is the crust...too bread-like.
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-09-18, 14:13

Kari Van Horn‏Verified account @KariVanHorn
More
This is a crime against humanity

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2017-09-18, 14:14

Puke

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2017-09-18, 14:25

The Pantry wrote:Stopped by Lowes to pick up a couple things on the way home this evening. Pulling into the lot saw the NKD pizza place that opened a few months ago. Never tried it so placed an order with my phone before going into Lowes.

Picked it up 20 minutes later. Not another customer in the place. $12 for a large (14") pizza with only sauce. Cheese was extra, along with pepperoni, mushrooms, onions, and tri-colored peppers. Total bill with tax was over $23.

Very thin crust. Decent, but not great tasting pizza. Will never get pizza there again with better and cheaper alternatives available.

Really strange pizza chain with the only locations in SE Michigan, Virginia, and fucking Dubai. Whomever bought franchise rights for the location near me must be outta their mind thinking it can float in this pizza market.

NKD is closed. Just drove past it. Surprised it made it a year.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-09-18, 14:52

No surprise there. Did you ever try it?
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2017-09-18, 14:56

Yeah I noticed it when it first opened and tried it. Thought it was very mediocre and like you said it was expensive as hell.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TheReal_LWS on 2017-09-18, 15:11

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Yeah I noticed it when it first opened and tried it. Thought it was very mediocre and like you said it was expensive as hell.

Being poor must suck.

Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-10-13, 11:40

Co-worker just went to pick up Green Lantern for a few of us. Haven't had it in probably 10 years.
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2017-10-13, 12:52

So, I've looked at those small portable table top pizza stoves and I've always said "Meh" as I've walked by them in Costco and Sams. Well, last Saturday at the tailgate we were at they had one and were making Pizzas. I'm going to purcahse one knowing full well that I'll use it sparingly yearly. Good pizza, cooked correctly top and bottom. Highly recommend

Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-10-13, 20:34

DWags wrote:So, I've looked at those small portable table top pizza stoves and I've always said "Meh" as I've walked by them in Costco and Sams. Well, last Saturday at the tailgate we were at they had one and were making Pizzas. I'm going to purcahse one knowing full well that I'll use it sparingly yearly. Good pizza, cooked correctly top and bottom. Highly recommend
Just buy a pizza stone for the grill. Can use them in the oven too. $20-30 and doesn't take up much space...keep mine in the cutting board cabinet. The only way to reheat leftover pizza...fuck the microwave.
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2017-10-13, 20:36

How was your green lantern pantry?

2016 SWILL PICK EM (co)CHAMPION!
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Senior Dickfist on 2017-10-13, 21:05

I haven't read through this thread so I don't know if this particular place has been mentioned, but I ate a Grimaldi's in Scottsdale this week. The pizza was thin crust, which is my least favorite style, but it was totally delicious. There is a Taylor location, but I live nowhere near there.
Senior Dickfist
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-10-13, 21:06

Went to Green Latrine fairly often in my 20's.  Thought the pizza and subs were great.  Tried it again after almost 20 years and it wasn't as good as I remembered.

Today's pizza was pretty good.  GL reminds me of Alibi...pools of grease in the pepperoni slices.  Sauce has a bit more spice than Alibi which is kind of sugary.

Got a sub too which I had tonight.  Very solid Italian sub.  Great roll.  Plenty of meat.  Oddly, the slaw they put on them is dressed with a vinegar/oil combo that is sugary.  Had not remembered that.  Good, but weird.
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2017-10-13, 21:12

I've been to GL a few times recently but it's always after softball when I've been half drunk so while delicious I'm pretty sure I'd describe chucky cheese as delicious at the time as well. Glad to hear I wasn't entirely wrong

Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2017-10-13, 21:33

In my humble opinion Green lantern has the 2nd best pepperoni in the area, behind Tomatoes.

I have been to Grimaldi's in Tampa. Decent NY style brick oven pizza.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-10-13, 21:45

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I've been to GL a few times recently but it's always after softball when I've been half drunk so while delicious I'm pretty sure I'd describe chucky cheese as delicious at the time as well. Glad to hear I wasn't entirely wrong
Got an order of the Candy Coated Bacon Strips to split on recommendation of the guy that picked up.  Never heard of them.  Bacon on a skewer.  Pretty good but didn't want more than one.
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh on 2017-10-14, 16:52

who makes their own pies here
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-10-14, 16:56

I do occasionally but it's been a while. Pizza stones work great. Buy Jets dough balls.
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh on 2017-10-14, 16:58

The Pantry wrote:I do occasionally but it's been a while. Pizza stones work great. Buy Jets dough balls.

I got a some prime ingredients so I was looking for a recipe
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2017-10-14, 17:06

MattyFresh wrote:
The Pantry wrote:I do occasionally but it's been a while. Pizza stones work great. Buy Jets dough balls.

Um. Prolly some sauce and some cheese and some toppings maybe pepperoni or sausage or whatever matty.

Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh on 2017-10-14, 17:07

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
MattyFresh wrote:

Um. Prolly some sauce and some cheese and some toppings maybe pepperoni or sausage or whatever matty.
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum