The Golf Thread

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Golf Thread

Post by tanfan! on 2016-06-25, 20:26

I got my handicap down to a 7. Then I got super busy. Stopped playing. Now I'm more like a 37.

Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-07-05, 07:59

The Loop: Reversible golf course in Roscommon open to public

Stepping on to The Loop feels like taking a step back in time – when golf was simpler, pure and more connected with the natural terrain.

Tom Doak’s risky but genius 18-hole fully-reversible design opened to the public last week and is sure to be a hit for golfers seeking a unique challenge.

The Loop has 18 greens and 36 teeing areas. It plays clockwise (Black Course) one day and counter-clockwise (Red Course) the next, offering two distinct courses on one piece of land. Only the ninth and 18th greens stay the same, yet they play just as differently as the other 16 holes. The Loop is the new sister course to Forest Dunes Golf Club in Roscommon.

The home of golf, the Old Course at St. Andrews, was built to allow a reversible path as well, but has only been played that way on rare occasions since 1914.

“I’m really pleased with it,” Doak said last fall after a tour at the property under development. “Whichever way you’re playing, it never feels like you are going the wrong way.”

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-08-07, 12:03

Justin Ray ‏@JustinRayGC 55m55 minutes ago
Furyk playing a par 5, has easiest hole on course ahead of him. Needs to play last 6 holes in -1 for 1st 58 in PGA Tour history #58watch

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-08-07, 12:06

Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS 5m5 minutes ago
Might have some golf history today. Jim Furyk is at 50 through 16 holes at the Travelers Championship. So he’s only par-par from a 58.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2016-08-07, 12:09

Golf channel picked it up live.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 on 2016-08-07, 12:16

58 pretty much in the bag. Shot at 57. 18 GIR
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 on 2016-08-07, 12:21

aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2016-08-07, 12:22

Pretty cool to watch history.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake on 2016-08-07, 12:27

BOOM!
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove on 2016-08-07, 14:49

Dude shoots a 12 Under 58 final round to finish tournament at -11.

'Cause we done shared all of mine
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-09-25, 11:10

Five Michigan golf courses make Golf Magazine's Top 100

Five golf courses in Michigan were among Golf Magazine’s top 100 in the country.

Forest Dunes Golf Club was ranked highest in the state at No. 21. The acclaimed Tom Weiskopf course is located in the Huron National Forest in Roscommon.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2016-09-28, 09:56

Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2016-12-04, 17:53

I think today was a PB, or tied for it. I was 2 over after 12. I ended up 12 over, so kind of fell apart on the back. After 9 though, I was 2 over for a 38, and I had a tap in par on 9 that I was about 2 inches short on getting the birdie. Wind picked up on the back and every hole seemed to be into it, but I'll take it. My PB for a round is 81, I think. For once my short game bailed me out, instead of hurting me. I love golfing in December, hoping to get about 3 more rounds in this month.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-12-20, 11:58

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2016-12-20, 11:59

Ha. Just posted that in random.

Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2017-01-01, 18:15

Just thought you guys would like to know I played Christmas eve and again today. It was 85 out, I might've gotten sunburned. Anyway, it was called the hangover open.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2017-03-10, 11:09

I'm one month away from playing 6 courses over 4 days. I wonder how sore I'm going to be. Anyway, going to Bama, playing on the Trent Jones trail, or whatever its called. I'm looking forward to it.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2017-03-17, 09:23

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2017-04-24, 09:48

You guys remember Allison Stokke, everybody's favorite pole vaulter?

She's now dating Ricky Fowler.

Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2017-04-24, 09:59

I saw some guys playing golf over the weekend as I rode by on my bike.
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-04-24, 10:06

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I saw some guys playing golf over the weekend as I rode by on my bike.

Did they whistle?

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2017-04-24, 10:19

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I saw some guys playing golf over the weekend as I rode by on my bike.

Did they whistle?
they probably did.. I'm looking pretty svelte these days.. but it was kind of windy so I didn't hear them.
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2017-04-24, 10:19

I was at Forrest Akers yesterday. It was a scramble fund raiser. Still at Kellogg. Just leaving. Did you see four 50 year old guys all hitting from the same place?

Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield on 2017-04-24, 10:24

DWags wrote:

I was at Forrest Akers yesterday. It was a scramble fund raiser. Still at Kellogg. Just leaving. Did you see four 50 year old guys all hitting from the same place?

Damn DWags, you could've paid for my tow truck last night. My car took a shit as I was leaving Brody.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2017-04-24, 10:28

Tim Wakefield wrote:
DWags wrote:

Damn DWags, you could've paid for my tow truck last night. My car took a shit as I was leaving Brody.

That road sucks now. You can't even pull into the p-lot from the front. I left my truck at Harrison Road house. The kid drove me back to campus and dropped us there.

Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2017-04-24, 10:29

DWags wrote:

were you?

no - I had been up through Laingsburg, was riding south on Chandler - just north of State Road - whatever golf course is right in that area.

I then hit up Crunchy's.. half price pizza on Sundays.

Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2017-05-29, 21:59

Golfed cedar river today. Only $39. Shot a 89. Birdied 9, missed ask eagle putt by inches from off the green. Heading to mid Michigan tomorrow, thinking of pohlcat.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway on 2017-06-11, 22:37

If any of you have interest in single length irons, Edel is having a demo day this week in Troy.

- the Swill
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2017-06-27, 23:26

Man, i had one today. It was a panic attack.

Par three, maybe 130 yards a little down hill and a bunker in front. I hit a nine iron just trying to get on. I hit the green for sure, but it's right at the hole I can't see. It bounces once then disappears. I've never had a hole in one, so at first I was like holy shit, but then I immediately remembered that I never paid for the $20 a year "hole in one" club in my league that would have paid me like $800. So, I'm walking up kinda not wanting it to be in the hole. Thankfully it was a couple of feet long. I'm going to give the guy $10 for the rest of the year as super cheap insurance on the unlikely scenario playing itself out.

I also had a 7 iron from about 150 fairway over some protecting water that I hit within 2 feet. That was a way better shot. But less story worthy.

2016 SWILL PICK EM (co)CHAMPION!
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on 2017-06-28, 08:05

Nice man. I hit one last year about 130 out, and it started rolling towards the cup. Ended up 1 foot away. Almost shit myself.

The worst part was that no one was golfing with me, so people would just think I was lying.

My Mom used her driver on a par 3 about 160 yards out... It kept bouncing and we all thought it was gonna roll into the cup. Hit the flag and she got a birdie.

I've had watery pea soup, it's AWFUL.
Uh, I've had gelatinous, thick pea soup, it's TERRIBLE.
Pea soup, much like clam chowder, needs to have that consistency first, that you can stand the spoon up in it, but the spoon soon tilts, that's the consistency you want.
Number two: Uh, pea soup on it's own can be a little bland. It wants, uh, a fairly aggressive peppering and salting.
Number three: Pea soup needs a fine dice of ham. Not bacon, not any other meat, not turkey. It needs a fine dice of ham.
Uh, number four: Uh, pea soup scorches easily. You don't wanna heat it on a high heat. You wanna heat it on medium low, just until it's warmed through.
Uh, number five: Pea soup is best made, uh, by hand, not out of a Campbell's can. And the key to pea soup, you want a ham bone, uh, for the stock you make, uh, to, to boil your peas.
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2017-06-28, 08:22

Death Roe wrote:Nice man. I hit one last year about 130 out, and it started rolling towards the cup. Ended up 1 foot away. Almost shit myself.

The worst part was that no one was golfing with me, so people would just think I was lying.

My Mom used her driver on a par 3 about 160 yards out... It kept bouncing and we all thought it was gonna roll into the cup. Hit the flag and she got a birdie.

Same thing happened to me about five years ago. Actually scared me. Like you I knew nobody would believe me. It was 7 am. I usually am the first one out. It's a simple course by my cottage. I hit two balls because I am so far ahead of the next golfers. Mine appeared to roll over the edge of the cup. Went two feet past. I two putted. Think I was shaking.

Props to your mom. My sisters friend (58 years old) she just got her second hole in one at the Manistee national.

Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2017-06-28, 08:54

I've come close a couple of times this year. Both times I was unable to see where the ball ended up at until I was walking on to the green. One was about 155 yards, There was a slight backwind, but more of a crosswind. The flag was in the back of the green on the right side. Since the wind was left to right, I aimed for the middle. I was using my 8 iron, and hit it flush. I knew it was a good hit, but had no idea how well. It hit the middle of the green, and somehow I had a slight right spin on it, so it went to the right. Walking up to the green, I brought a wedge and putter, since I had no idea where it was. Ended up being 2-3 inches from the hole.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2017-06-28, 09:03

Closest I ever came was on a course up north. Wish I could remember which one. Was about a 170 yard par 3 hitting off a very high/steep bluff to a blind green. I can't even remember which iron I used. Ball hit about a foot from the pin and must have bounced once to land 2" from the cup. Left a hell of a ball mark. I had no idea how close I was until we flew down the hill in the cart.

My mom claims she hit one, but DR and Wags, no one was around to see it. I believe her, but you never really know.
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on 2017-06-28, 10:55

I'd say the best shot I've ever hit was on a long par 5 at Pine View in Three Rivers. It was during a scramble. My buddy hit his drive right at the top of a hill, so it made the second shot a legitimate chance at getting eagle if hit right. I smoked my hybrid, about 225 yards, aimed to the left of the flag. The ball dropped, started moving to the right, about 1 foot from the hole. We won closest second shot and we knew we had it as soon as we saw the ball rolling.

My prize? A Miller Lite Lime beer sign.

I've had watery pea soup, it's AWFUL.
Uh, I've had gelatinous, thick pea soup, it's TERRIBLE.
Pea soup, much like clam chowder, needs to have that consistency first, that you can stand the spoon up in it, but the spoon soon tilts, that's the consistency you want.
Number two: Uh, pea soup on it's own can be a little bland. It wants, uh, a fairly aggressive peppering and salting.
Number three: Pea soup needs a fine dice of ham. Not bacon, not any other meat, not turkey. It needs a fine dice of ham.
Uh, number four: Uh, pea soup scorches easily. You don't wanna heat it on a high heat. You wanna heat it on medium low, just until it's warmed through.
Uh, number five: Pea soup is best made, uh, by hand, not out of a Campbell's can. And the key to pea soup, you want a ham bone, uh, for the stock you make, uh, to, to boil your peas.
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn on 2017-06-28, 10:57

I have 7 career aces. One went off a tree.

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2017-06-28, 11:58

duffy munn wrote:I have 7 career aces. One went off a tree.
That's insane.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 on 2017-06-28, 12:03

I made par once
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2017-06-28, 12:05

You must golf a lot, law of averages being what they are. Unless you're on the PGA Tour Champions circuit and you're really Boom Boom.
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2017-06-28, 12:09

Floyd Robertson wrote:

You must golf a lot, law of averages being what they are. Unless you're on the PGA Tour Champions circuit and you're really Boom Boom.
I've been golfing since I was 13 and although close, never got a hole in one. Granted a short game isn't my strength. My sister, has a hole in one. I'm not sure if she ever played after she did that though. I want to say it was 110 yards, she used a driver or a 3 wood and it went in. I wasn't there, but my Dad and Uncle were with her.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2017-06-28, 12:18

Can I have one?

Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum