Bourbon and whiskey drinkers

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Re: Bourbon and whiskey drinkers

Post by Rocinante on 2017-12-25, 20:50

Rocinante wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:Anything good I can get my son for $50 for Christmas? Not seeing him for a few days so I have time.

You should be able to get a bottle of four roses single barrel for that price. Damn good bourbon.

I’m a fan of

Jesus. I wasn’t even that drunk when I wrote this.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen on 2017-12-25, 20:54

Just had a bourbon tasting for the family Christmas. I brought the 4 Roses single barrel. Among the entrants, Woodford Reserve was the winner (which I voted for too).
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield on 2017-12-26, 00:04

My grandpa had some Kirkland Canadian whiskey from Costco. Idk shit about whiskey in general but i do know that the costco stuff went down smooth and got me fucked up. Would recommend

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-12-26, 03:06

Tim Wakefield wrote:My grandpa had some Kirkland Canadian whiskey from Costco. Idk shit about whiskey in general but i do know that the costco stuff went down smooth and got me fucked up. Would recommend

Damn Wakie into the whiskey and reapers Merry Christmas

LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2017-12-26, 09:40

SawGreen wrote:Just had a bourbon tasting for the family Christmas. I brought the 4 Roses single barrel. Among the entrants, Woodford Reserve was the winner (which I voted for too).

What were the other options?
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen on 2017-12-26, 11:22

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
SawGreen wrote:Just had a bourbon tasting for the family Christmas. I brought the 4 Roses single barrel. Among the entrants, Woodford Reserve was the winner (which I voted for too).

What were the other options?

I should have taken a picture. Some names I didn't recognize (no Makers was there). Also, somebody tried to sneak in a Gentleman Jack. I called foul (not a bourbon, but folks really liked it).

I was mainly interested in the 4 Roses evaluation. Going in, I wasn't super impressed by it as a stand-out, and used the group as a blind taste test. For me, the Woodford was noticeably unique and tasted "smokier".
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on 2017-12-26, 11:29

Woodford reserve is good.  I think Four roses is a little strong for some people.  I would have suggested a splash of water for folks who were not accustomed to 100 proof whiskeys.  

I am a hard drinker, SG.  I should have made that clear.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2017-12-26, 16:58

Another vote for Woodford Reserve. Under $40 and much smoother than Makers for just a couple bucks more.

Bought a bottle of Jim Beam Black Extra-Aged today out of curiosity. 86 proof and tastes similar to what I imagine drain cleaner tastes like. Definitely not a sipping bourbon.
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2018-01-08, 15:48

LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2018-01-08, 16:51

Kaley Cuoco showed off a bottle of IW Harper bottled in bond in '53. Having a job where you make a million per episode has its perks.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2018-01-16, 14:24

Each bottle is the same whiskey matured in the cask for one more year than the last

LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2018-01-16, 14:41

LooseGoose wrote:Each bottle is the same whiskey matured in the cask for one more year than the last

Be still my heart.

Still. Get it? Hi-oh!!!!

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2018-01-16, 14:51

LooseGoose wrote:Each bottle is the same whiskey matured in the cask for one more year than the last

That is actually really cool. Looks like they're showing how much volume you lose each year to evaporation as well. The oldest bourbon I've ever tried is 21 years. I'd imagine a 30 year would taste like liquid oak.

Those are Buffalo Trace bottles if I'm not mistaken.
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2018-01-16, 15:03

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

That is actually really cool. Looks like they're showing how much volume you lose each year to evaporation as well. The oldest bourbon I've ever tried is 21 years. I'd imagine a 30 year would taste like liquid oak.

Those are Buffalo Trace bottles if I'm not mistaken.

I noticed the same thing. Very cool, and liquid oak is a great description.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic on 2018-03-03, 01:32

Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ on 2018-03-03, 01:37

CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2018-03-03, 07:22

Nordic wrote:

Now that is a selection. Too bad the pic is too pixelated to see what's what.
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2018-03-07, 16:15

Pylon darling? Talk to the wife and find 3 others.....

I CERTAINLY HOPE NOT: Have we reached peak bourbon? “You can now literally make your own from start to finish.”

Now you can literally make your very own bourbon — guided by experts — from start to finish.

And by start to finish, I mean you literally develop your mash bill (grain recipe), ferment and distill the product, raise and fill your barrel, hammer the bung in, fill your own bottles, and label them.

All for the low, low price of $18,750.

OK, bear with me. That’s not as preposterous as it sounds.

It’s the My Craft Distillery program from Moonshine University at the Distilled Spirits Epicenter we’re talking about and the price is based on a group of four (extreme!) bourbon enthusiasts going in together. The cost includes two rooms at The Brown Hotel, 335 W. Broadway; daily lunches for all plus a dinner with the Moonshine University team; and VIP tours and experiences, not to mention an intensive education. Participants will become a Stave & Thief Society Executive Bourbon Steward along the way.

And, of course, the bourbon. Oh, and even the empty barrel.

How much bourbon are we talking? Only time will tell how much remains of the 53 gallon barrel after aging and angel’s share, but a rule of thumb, it’s about 215 bottles at barrel proof (not cut down with water) after four years, said Colin Blake, director of spirits education.

So you’re looking at a little less than $90 a bottle – a price that seems downright reasonable compared to what some limited edition bourbons go for on the secondary market, or for that matter, what many top shelf bourbons sell for retail.

It sounds like fun, but I think I’ll stick to buying a bottle or two at a time.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/life/food/spirits/bourbon/2018/03/06/kentucky-bourbon-moonshine-university/387427002/

LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2018-03-07, 16:30

LooseGoose wrote:Pylon darling? Talk to the wife and find 3 others.....

I CERTAINLY HOPE NOT: Have we reached peak bourbon? “You can now literally make your own from start to finish.”

Now you can literally make your very own bourbon — guided by experts — from start to finish.

And by start to finish, I mean you literally develop your mash bill (grain recipe), ferment and distill the product, raise and fill your barrel, hammer the bung in, fill your own bottles, and label them.

It’s the My Craft Distillery program from Moonshine University at the Distilled Spirits Epicenter we’re talking about and the price is based on a group of four (extreme!) bourbon enthusiasts going in together. The cost includes two rooms at The Brown Hotel, 335 W. Broadway; daily lunches for all plus a dinner with the Moonshine University team; and VIP tours and experiences, not to mention an intensive education. Participants will become a Stave & Thief Society Executive Bourbon Steward along the way.

How much bourbon are we talking? Only time will tell how much remains of the 53 gallon barrel after aging and angel’s share, but a rule of thumb, it’s about 215 bottles at barrel proof (not cut down with water) after four years, said Colin Blake, director of spirits education.

So you’re looking at a little less than $90 a bottle – a price that seems downright reasonable compared to what some limited edition bourbons go for on the secondary market, or for that matter, what many top shelf bourbons sell for retail.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/life/food/spirits/bourbon/2018/03/06/kentucky-bourbon-moonshine-university/387427002/

Sounds fun, but the lead time to get something that tastes worth a damn is fucking long. 4 years is the bare minimum. If I'm making my own bourbon I'd want something aged at least 10 years. I could be fucking dead by then.
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2018-03-07, 16:30

LooseGoose wrote:Pylon darling? Talk to the wife and find 3 others.....

Shocked

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2018-04-14, 20:42

This is good. I really should be smoking a cigar with it.
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic on 2018-04-15, 10:23

Razz
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic on 2018-06-08, 23:05

I Nicolas Cage'd the aisles of the Louisville Liquor Barn earlier today...

Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2018-06-08, 23:09

You bought all that? $500 in bourbon?

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GirbaudJeans on 2018-06-09, 09:16

For you Woodford fans, seek out the Double Oaked.

GirbaudJeans
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2018-06-09, 09:25

Your mom likes the double oak

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2018-06-09, 09:29

Nordic wrote:I Nicolas Cage'd the aisles of the Louisville Liquor Barn earlier today...

Those Liqour Barns are awesome. How much did you pay for the Booker's?
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic on 2018-06-09, 11:38

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Nordic wrote:I Nicolas Cage'd the aisles of the Louisville Liquor Barn earlier today...

Those Liqour Barns are awesome. How much did you pay for the Booker's?

The Bookers was the only one in the cart I put back. It was either 74.99 or 75.99. My total bill was $360 with tax for the other 8 bottles. I already had some heavy weights in the cart (Bakers, Bulliet Barrel Strength, OGD 114) so I passed on the Bookers.

The Basil was the best deal. This has been my favorite/go to bourbon the past year and it was only 30 bucks. Had to get 2.

Have you tried Bakers? Back left corner of the cart. If you like Bookers I highly recommend it. Unassuming bottle and incredibly smooth for 107 proof. I noticed yesterday that it is a Beam brand (like Basil and Bookers), which is probably why I like it.

A little disappionted they didn't have any Weller, Blantons, Sazarec, Pappy (obv) or other more rare stuff. They were well stocked with the staples and small batch offshoots of the staples (Bulliett 10, Bulliet barrel strength, etc.)  The only BT stuff they had was BT and Eagle Rare. Not even the BT Cream we talked about before. I really wanted some Weller.

I have not bought booze for the house in 6 months, (except for 2 occasions when people were coming over). Been limiting myself to 2 drinks when we go out to dinner on the weekends. I've been a good boy. No in home boozing. Rolled in with a box of bourbon and the wife went Shocked. Looks like we are eating in for a few months.

Last edited by Nordic on 2018-06-09, 11:43; edited 3 times in total
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2018-06-09, 11:58

Oh yeah. Bakers is good. I think I've had everything in your cart other than the Calumet.

I'm assuming you're taking 69 back home. There's a place in Fort Wayne just off the highway called Cap N Cork that has tons of hard to find stuff.
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2018-06-09, 14:43

I was close. Here the bookers had $99. I'm not sure why, it used to be $70.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic on 2018-06-09, 15:45

InTenSity wrote:I was close. Here the bookers had $99. I'm not sure why, it used to be $70.

Right. It was one of the reasons I passed. $75 didn't seem like a great deal. But apparently it is now.

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Oh yeah. Bakers is good. I think I've had everything in your cart other than the Calumet.

I'm assuming you're taking 69 back home. There's a place in Fort Wayne just off the highway called Cap N Cork that has tons of hard to find stuff.

I haven't had Calument either. It also had a high rating on the according the to the tag on the shelf, whatever that means. So I snagged it.  I came home yesterday, but I will remember Cap N Cork for next time. In and out. 12+ hours in the car. cyclops

How was the 1792? They had the big boy 1.75ml bottles for $40. I almost grabbed it and a Willett. I haven't tried any of their stuff yet.

If you guys are ever by DTE/Pine Knob, Lakeview Food Basket is surprisingly good: http://lakeviewfood.com/ The outside looks like a hole-in-the-wall beer store, but they have a large selection of bourbon and scotch crammed in there. Best in the Lake Orion/Clarkston.

Finally tally....

Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2018-06-09, 17:02

Nordic wrote:
InTenSity wrote:I was close. Here the bookers had $99. I'm not sure why, it used to be $70.

Right. It was one of the reasons I passed. $75 didn't seem like a great deal. But apparently it is now.

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Oh yeah. Bakers is good. I think I've had everything in your cart other than the Calumet.

I haven't had Calument either. It also had a high rating on the according the to the tag on the shelf, whatever that means. So I snagged it.  I came home yesterday, but I will remember Cap N Cork for next time. In and out. 12+ hours in the car. cyclops

How was the 1792? They had the big boy 1.75ml bottles for $40. I almost grabbed it and a Willett. I haven't tried any of their stuff yet.

If you guys are ever by DTE/Pine Knob, Lakeview Food Basket is surprisingly good: http://lakeviewfood.com/ The outside looks like a hole-in-the-wall beer store, but they have a large selection of bourbon and scotch crammed in there. Best in the Lake Orion/Clarkston.

Finally tally....

Not a big fan of1792. Too much vanilla flavor for my taste. I like the older stuff that tastes like an oak tree... so the real expensive shit. This Wild Turkey Decades that I have open right now is my favorite. It doesn't say exactly how old it is but I'd bet somewhere close to 20 years.
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2018-06-09, 17:06

Blantons is always out at the Lake Lansing Meijer. They must stock it, though, because they keep space for it.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2018-06-09, 18:12

tGreenWay wrote:Blantons is always out at the Lake Lansing Meijer. They must stock it, though, because they keep space for it.  

The Okemos Meijer usually has it. It's where I got my last few bottles.
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2018-06-09, 18:50

Thanks!

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2018-06-12, 20:53

The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ on 2018-06-12, 21:12

The Pantry wrote:I was not aware Aldi sold booze

This $17.50 whisky has been named among the best in the world

haven't been impressed with their beer/wine prices lately - not sure that I've seen this whiskey but also probably haven't really looked

also think it's weird that I've probably crossed paths with some of you bros @ Meijer/around town
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GirbaudJeans on 2018-06-14, 10:46

GirbaudJeans wrote:For you Woodford fans, seek out the Double Oaked.

See....

GirbaudJeans
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2018-06-14, 11:06

I prefer regular Reserve over the double soaked. Less expensive too.
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic on 2018-06-14, 15:23

A lot of people like Woodford. One of my least favorite.
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum