Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are Detroit Public Schools breaking the law for Jayru Campbell?

+8
Munn Field
SawGreen
duffy munn
The Lonely Stoner
Floyd Robertson
InTenSity
I Still Hate Weber State
DWags
12 posters

Go down

Are Detroit Public Schools breaking the law for Jayru Campbell?    Empty Are Detroit Public Schools breaking the law for Jayru Campbell?

Post by DWags Fri 2 May 2014 - 9:33

Interesting take by Mick McCabe

http://www.freep.com/article/20140502/HSS1201/305020029/Mick-McCabe-DPS-ignores-law-Jayru-Campbell-case
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Are Detroit Public Schools breaking the law for Jayru Campbell?    Empty Re: Are Detroit Public Schools breaking the law for Jayru Campbell?

Post by I Still Hate Weber State Fri 2 May 2014 - 9:40

DWags wrote:Interesting take by Mick McCabe

http://www.freep.com/article/20140502/HSS1201/305020029/Mick-McCabe-DPS-ignores-law-Jayru-Campbell-case

Only thing I think DPS might be thinking is that they can get around the law by claiming that the security guard wasn't technically an employee of the school district. Obvious that he would not be back in school if he couldn't play football.
I Still Hate Weber State
I Still Hate Weber State
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Are Detroit Public Schools breaking the law for Jayru Campbell?    Empty Re: Are Detroit Public Schools breaking the law for Jayru Campbell?

Post by InTenSity Fri 2 May 2014 - 9:43

I Still Hate Weber State wrote:

Only thing I think DPS might be thinking is that they can get around the law by claiming that the security guard wasn't technically an employee of the school district. Obvious that he would not be back in school if he couldn't play football.
Security guard may not have targeted him if he didn't play football. Wasn't the SG a huge walverine? 

*I didn't read the article*
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Fri 2 May 2014 - 9:43

Very interesting.

One thing bothers me after reading that (and I know this is a stupid thing to let get under my skin) and that is the comment "Campbell has been back at Cass Tech since April after initially being suspended in January."

April was two effin' days ago. So did he go back to Cass Tech on April 1 or April 30 (rhetorical question). That is some of the laziest, vaguest shit I've ever seen published.

Completely aside, earlier this morning I saw the footage of JC walking in the courtroom right before facing the judge during a previous appearance. After seeing that footage, I'm no longer comfortable with him near MSU. His body language seemed to suggest the attitude that his courtroom appearance was a joke or not to be taken seriously. There's a chance that I'm reading way too much into this, of course.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lonely Stoner Fri 2 May 2014 - 10:38

Mike McCabe is a belle end.
The Lonely Stoner
The Lonely Stoner
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Fri 2 May 2014 - 10:53

Does anyone here really believe that Jayru will end up at MSU ? I don't.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I Still Hate Weber State Fri 2 May 2014 - 10:56

duffy munn wrote:Does anyone here really believe that Jayru will end up at MSU ? I don't.

No. I think the effort the staff put into recruiting other QBs (+ signing the PWO QB) sufficiently answered that question.
I Still Hate Weber State
I Still Hate Weber State
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen Fri 2 May 2014 - 10:58

It's also only a story because the kid is an athlete.  I wonder how many similar circumstances exist elsewhere in the state where the mandatory 180 aren't served.  Maybe call a few districts for a comment?

"Now it (DPS) decides that a high-profile athlete who allegedly body slams a security officer can come back, no matter what the state law says?"

It is entirely possible that Jayru has received some preferential treatment due to his athletic prowess... it is also entirely possible that his athletic prowess had nothing to do with his being back in school.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Munn Field Fri 2 May 2014 - 11:13

SawGreen wrote:It's also only a story because the kid is an athlete.  I wonder how many similar circumstances exist elsewhere in the state where the mandatory 180 aren't served.  Maybe call a few districts for a comment?

"Now it (DPS) decides that a high-profile athlete who allegedly body slams a security officer can come back, no matter what the state law says?"

It is entirely possible that Jayru has received some preferential treatment due to his athletic prowess... it is also entirely possible that his athletic prowess had nothing to do with his being back in school.

There was a similar case out of Lansing Public Schools that went all the way to the Mi Supreme Court a few years ago. McCabe didn't cover it because the kid wasn't a star athlete. In the end, the law covers contractors too. I am guessing the more likely result is that the Board didn't find that a "physical assault" occurred (which is the basis for the mandatory expulsion under the law). Probably because the security guard instigated the incident.
Munn Field
Munn Field
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by I Still Hate Weber State Fri 2 May 2014 - 11:16

SawGreen wrote:It's also only a story because the kid is an athlete.  I wonder how many similar circumstances exist elsewhere in the state where the mandatory 180 aren't served.  Maybe call a few districts for a comment?

Here is an article that somewhat addresses the how students are routinely suspended/expelled for more minor incidents. Not specifically DPS, but it's hard to believe that kids haven't been expelled from DPS recently for similar things.

http://www.freep.com/article/20140418/NEWS06/304190005/Michigan-schools-zero-tolerance-policies
I Still Hate Weber State
I Still Hate Weber State
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Fri 2 May 2014 - 11:17

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Completely aside, earlier this morning I saw the footage of JC walking in the courtroom right before facing the judge during a previous appearance.  After seeing that footage, I'm no longer comfortable with him near MSU. His body language seemed to suggest the attitude that his courtroom appearance was a joke or not to be taken seriously.  There's a chance that I'm reading way too much into this, of course.

He's a kid.

From Detroit.

I trust Dantonio to make the right decisions.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri 2 May 2014 - 11:36

duffy munn wrote:Does anyone here really believe that Jayru will end up at MSU ? I don't.

Are Detroit Public Schools breaking the law for Jayru Campbell?    Central-michigan-university
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Kazamias Fri 2 May 2014 - 12:00

I Still Hate Weber State wrote:

Here is an article that somewhat addresses the how students are routinely suspended/expelled for more minor incidents. Not specifically DPS, but it's hard to believe that kids haven't been expelled from DPS recently for similar things.

http://www.freep.com/article/20140418/NEWS06/304190005/Michigan-schools-zero-tolerance-policies

Not excusing Campbell's actions, but IF it is true that this guard had a strange boner for him, and the school knew about it, it could come back at them if they were to expel him.

Also, as has been mentioned rent a cops are typically a purchased service with a finite contract, not actual employees.
Larry Kazamias
Larry Kazamias
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Oops Thats not right Fri 2 May 2014 - 12:14

This.

Why do we continue to talk about this kid?
Oops Thats not right
Oops Thats not right
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down