4 hours in the Big Mac bridge area with little kids

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 4 hours in the Big Mac bridge area with little kids

Post by Nordic on 2015-07-10, 13:17

kingstonlake wrote:
Nawaka is a dead lake now. Catch any size pike and keep it. No restrictions.

No shit... I haven't been there in probably 20 years. We used to camp up near there and drive in to catch decent pike.
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose on 2015-07-10, 13:17

Herbie Green wrote:It might not compare to Lake Lansing, but yes you can Mountain bike on Mackinac Island

It's going to be funny when Bob actually does go up there one day and actually really enjoys it, but he won't post about it so he can save face.
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2015-07-10, 13:18

Nordic wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Also, don't get caught on the bridge when it swings over to the Island, WBH. You will be on it for hours. Check the schedule.

been there, maddening

Wtf does this mean.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2015-07-10, 13:20

Herbie Green wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
though I'm all for people riding bikes, I'm a bit more into this kind of cycling..

than this kind of cycling..

It might not compare to Lake Lansing, but yes you can Mountain bike on Mackinac Island

you can't ride on the trail at Lake Lansing.. you'd need quite a few loops anyway, as the "outer" loop is only about 3.8 miles.

also, why do people try so hard to make me want to go somewhere I don't want to go?
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy on 2015-07-10, 13:22

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
Nordic wrote:

been there, maddening

Wtf does this mean.

The bridge is hinged at the center and moves from the UP to the island for set intervals, so that you can just hang a right and drive right to the island. I'm not sure of the schedule. Might want to have your wife call and ask.

WHAT JUST HAPPENED? WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED!!!!!!!!!!!????????

tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2015-07-10, 13:22

Giant Moose wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:It might not compare to Lake Lansing, but yes you can Mountain bike on Mackinac Island

It's going to be funny when Bob actually does go up there one day and actually really enjoys it, but he won't post about it so he can save face.

you can have my spot in line. Wink
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-07-10, 13:37

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
AMwood wrote:why don't you just give me $80 and skip the mystery spot.

Yeah my wife is talking about some deer acres shit and putt putt. I'm thinking the Fort and the beach/light house might be a little better.
Christ almighty, you need to straighten her out.   Just tell her playing putt putt is like getting a good hooker, you can do that on any trip - you want to do something unique on this trip.

PS - if the kids get bored on the way stop at Hartwick Pines near Grayling for the logging history tour and the only virgin stand of White Pines in Michigan.

PPS - Just remembered this, if you want to do something really touristy stop and snap a picture by this sign on 75 by Gaylord:

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy on 2015-07-10, 13:39

LooseGoose wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

Yeah my wife is talking about some deer acres shit and putt putt. I'm thinking the Fort and the beach/light house might be a little better.
Christ almighty, you need to straighten her out.   Just tell her playing putt putt is like getting a good hooker, you can do that on any trip - you want to do something unique on this trip.

PS - if the kids get bored on the way stop at Hartwick Pines near Grayling for the logging history tour and the only virgin stand of White Pines in Michigan.

PPS - Just remembered this, if you want to do something really touristy stop and snap a picture by this sign on 75 by Gaylord:

LMMFAO.... Thinking about Captain Christmas getting a load of a sign that mentions the North Pole.

tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green on 2015-07-10, 13:44

I never actually even realized myself until now the extent of the trail system on Mackinaw Island. I read 70 miles total of paved roads and trails (mostly single track). Technical trails, bluffs with 500 foot drops. I am sure there are better destinations up North but it looks pretty damn cool and would be infinitely more interesting and challenging than anything around Lansing.

Bob, you just need to be rehabilitated from this whole Up North complex you have developed. I think most of us like you and it pains us to think of you stuck riding your bike around Lansing when there is so much more out there.
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-07-10, 13:50

tTy wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

LMMFAO.... Thinking about Captain Christmas getting a load of a sign that mentions the North Pole.
It was enough to get the Lombardi family and BobS to stop:

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2015-07-10, 13:53

Herbie Green wrote:I never actually even realized myself until now the extent of the trail system on Mackinaw Island. I read 70 miles total of paved roads and trails (mostly single track). Technical trails, bluffs with 500 foot drops. I am sure there are better destinations up North but it looks pretty damn cool and would be infinitely more interesting and challenging than anything around Lansing.

Bob, you just need to be rehabilitated from this whole Up North complex you have developed. I think most of us like you and it pains us to think of you stuck riding your bike around Lansing when there is so much more out there.
I appreciate you looking out for me. It's just that when I'm not in the East Lansing area, I/we usually have other places to go.. I suppose there could be a time where I'm living in the retirement village and we take a trip to buy fudge or something..

Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green on 2015-07-10, 13:55

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:I never actually even realized myself until now the extent of the trail system on Mackinaw Island. I read 70 miles total of paved roads and trails (mostly single track). Technical trails, bluffs with 500 foot drops. I am sure there are better destinations up North but it looks pretty damn cool and would be infinitely more interesting and challenging than anything around Lansing.

I appreciate you looking out for me. It's just that when I'm not in the East Lansing area, I/we usually have other places to go.. I suppose there could be a time where I'm living in the retirement village and we take a trip to buy fudge or something..

Where are you going this weekend?
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2015-07-10, 13:57

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Don't you enjoy the Carolina's?

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose on 2015-07-10, 13:59

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:I never actually even realized myself until now the extent of the trail system on Mackinaw Island.  I read 70 miles total of paved roads and trails (mostly single track).  Technical trails, bluffs with 500 foot drops.  I am sure there are better destinations up North but it looks pretty damn cool and would be infinitely more interesting and challenging than anything around Lansing.

Bob, you just need to be rehabilitated from this whole Up North complex you have developed.  I think most of us like you and it pains us to think of you stuck riding your bike around Lansing when there is so much more out there.

Bob, I know it takes a long time to paint your body for all of the Spirit events you do but you can take time off from being an MSU superfan, an American superfan, cupid, etc. just once.

Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2015-07-10, 14:03

Herbie Green wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I appreciate you looking out for me. It's just that when I'm not in the East Lansing area, I/we usually have other places to go.. I suppose there could be a time where I'm living in the retirement village and we take a trip to buy fudge or something..

on my ride?
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2015-07-10, 14:03

InTenSity wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I appreciate you looking out for me. It's just that when I'm not in the East Lansing area, I/we usually have other places to go.. I suppose there could be a time where I'm living in the retirement village and we take a trip to buy fudge or something..

no..

I enjoy western North Carolina.
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2015-07-10, 14:09

Nordic wrote:
Eat a pasty... wtf is a pasty? I don't know, try it out and let me know.
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2015-07-10, 14:09

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
InTenSity wrote:
no..

I've got contacts in Hendersonville. They keep telling me to come up and visit. Now I'm going to find out that you come from old money, and your family used to farm.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno on 2015-07-10, 14:16

Giant Moose wrote:Plus you can supposedly see the entire U.P. from the top of Castle Rock.

Barbed wire seems a little excessive.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green on 2015-07-10, 14:17

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:

on my ride?

Well I guess that was a rhetorical question. You are riding your bike from your house around Laingsburg and back and then going to Dagwood's or Peanut Barrell for a night cap. Why don't you at least drive up to Clare or something and do some real hills and get some peace and see something different? Or would that look too pretentious driving North on US-127 with a bike on your car?

Haven't you ever taken your kids to Sleeping Bear Dunes or Pictured Rocks or anything? I like Lansing ok but it is stuck in the middle of this beautiful state and I have to get away any chance I get in the summer. I right now have a camper in my driveway with bikes on top behind a minivan with kayaks on top - I am sure you like that visual. I stopped even putting the stuff away because I go from one trip to another. And I despise crowds and tourism myself.
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake on 2015-07-10, 14:25

NigelUno wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:Plus you can supposedly see the entire U.P. from the top of Castle Rock.

its Squatchy up there.
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck on 2015-07-10, 14:25

tTy wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

Wtf does this mean.

The bridge is hinged at the center and moves from the UP to the island for set intervals, so that you can just hang a right and drive right to the island. I'm not sure of the schedule. Might want to have your wife call and ask.

Definitely have your wife call and ask, WBH. You can't drive your car around the Island, but there are a couple of huge parking garages on the northwest side for people that drive on from the bridge. If you are not planning on driving onto the Island, you do not want to be on the bridge when it swings over. Like I said, you will be on it for hours. Probably 2-4 depending on the traffic. Only cross during times it is not swinging over to the Island.
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2015-07-10, 14:28

steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2015-07-10, 14:32

The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck on 2015-07-10, 14:33

The Pantry wrote:
false

Clare is not up north.

Steve, Farwell has an underground bar district that is pretty cool.
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy on 2015-07-10, 14:44

kingstonlake wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

its Squatchy up there.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#GoneSquatchin
#BFRO

tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2015-07-10, 15:14

InTenSity wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:no..

I've got contacts in Hendersonville. They keep telling me to come up and visit. Now I'm going to find out that you come from old money, and your family used to farm.
you'd probably really like it (now I'm starting to sound like the people who tell me how much I'd like Mackinac Island) - I grew up in Asheville - about 20 minutes from Hendersonville - and lived in North Carolina for 25 years.
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2015-07-10, 15:18

Herbie Green wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:on my ride?

Well I guess that was a rhetorical question.  You are riding your bike from your house around Laingsburg and back and then going to Dagwood's or Peanut Barrell for a night cap.  Why don't you at least drive up to Clare or something and do some real hills and get some peace and see something different?  Or would that look too pretentious driving North on US-127 with a bike on your car?

Haven't you ever taken your kids to Sleeping Bear Dunes or Pictured Rocks or anything?  I like Lansing ok but it is stuck in the middle of this beautiful state and I have to get away any chance I get in the summer.  I right now have a camper in my driveway with bikes on top behind a minivan with kayaks on top - I am sure you like that visual.  I stopped even putting the stuff away because I go from one trip to another.  And I despise crowds and tourism myself.  
I don't own a car - I suppose I could borrow my wife's..

I only have one kid - we've never been to Pictured Rocks - she may have gone to Sleeping Bear Dunes with someone, possibly a school trip years ago. It sounds familiar.

we've done a ton of stuff in various areas of the country/world. Like I've said here quite a bit, we love East Lansing, etc. but usually when we have time, we get out of Michigan for a bit.
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic on 2015-07-10, 15:54

Herbie Green wrote:Bob, you just need to be rehabilitated from this whole Up North complex you have developed. I think most of us like you and it pains us to think of you stuck riding your bike around Lansing when there is so much more out there.

When I think of Bob (which is often), I think of Truman

Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2015-07-10, 18:51

So? What did you end up doing?
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2015-07-10, 18:59

Going tomorrow.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2015-07-10, 19:04

You can almost see the curvature of Earth from up there.
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck on 2015-07-10, 19:34

Floyd Robertson wrote:

You can almost see the curvature of Earth from up there.

I see famous poster Big Doug.
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2015-07-10, 19:44

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Going tomorrow.
Excellent. Please pick up a dozen extra pasties and throw them in the cooler for the trip back...I'll pay cost plus a pint of Makers. Lehto's sells them frozen as well as hot. Please keep them on top of the ice and out of the water. Thx :)

Lehto's pasties
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-07-10, 19:47

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Going tomorrow.
Excellent.   Please pick up 1 beautiful young virgin and throw her in the back seat for the trip back.  I'll pay cost plus a fifth of Bulliet Rye.  Please keep her out of the cooler and off the ice.  Thx!!

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2015-07-10, 20:03

I doubt I will be near Lehto's, but if I am I will pick you up some.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2015-07-10, 20:19

Lehto's is 6 or 7 miles west of 75 on the south side of US2, a couple miles past Mystery Spot (maybe you can find LG's virgin there) which is on the north side.

Lehto's building isn't much to look at.  You can drive by it if not paying attention

The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2015-07-10, 23:21

I love that this random ass thread received 100+ replies. Especially since there are only 5 people who post on this board (THANKS A LOT NIGEL - TOTALLY YOUR FAULT!)

I'm gonna leave at like 7:45 AM. Exit 69 straight up to Gaylord. Pick up my family. On to St. Ignace. Buy khaki pants. Post a bunch of shit to Instagram. Drop family off in Gaylord. Back to Exit 69. 

Wish me luck. Hopefully I won't have to splash water on anyone's windshield. I will have the soothing voices of Ernie and Paul to take me home. Errr Dan and Marble Mouth.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-07-11, 05:28

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I'm gonna leave at like 7:45 AM. Exit 69 straight up to Gaylord. Pick up my family. On to St. Ignace. Buy khaki pants. Post a bunch of shit to Instagram. Drop family off in Gaylord. Back to Exit 69.
Get yer ass out of bed and on the road.  A couple extra hours and you'll have time for pasties and virgins.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2015-07-11, 07:01

Bill Walker, a St. Ignace native who spent much of his life and career in lower Michigan, purchased Lehto’s Pasties May 1. The pasty shop, on US-2, has a simple menu, which Mr. Walker doesn’t plan to change: Pasties come hot, cold, or frozen.

Pasties are $5.50 and weigh about a pound. Mr. Walker emphasizes the “about” because the pasties are homemade, and weight varies.

http://www.stignacenews.com/news/2012-05-31/News/Walker_Family_Buys_Lehtos_Pasties_On_US2.html
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum