Long Reads - General Interest

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Long Reads - General Interest

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-07-17, 17:46

Links to  interesting stories -

I had this one come across today, it has some local Michigan flavor.

The lost Gerald Ford portrait: An art mystery


My favorite site for story links:

LongReads: The best longform stories

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-07-21, 05:26

The Really Big One An earthquake will destroy a sizable portion of the coastal Northwest. The question is when.


There is a backstop—the craton, that ancient unbudgeable mass at the center of the continent—and, sooner or later, North America will rebound like a spring. If, on that occasion, only the southern part of the Cascadia subduction zone gives way—your first two fingers, say—the magnitude of the resulting quake will be somewhere between 8.0 and 8.6. Thats the big one. If the entire zone gives way at once, an event that seismologists call a full-margin rupture, the magnitude will be somewhere between 8.7 and 9.2. That’s the very big one.

Flick your right fingers outward, forcefully, so that your hand flattens back down again. When the next very big earthquake hits, the northwest edge of the continent, from California to Canada and the continental shelf to the Cascades, will drop by as much as six feet and rebound thirty to a hundred feet to the west—losing, within minutes, all the elevation and compression it has gained over centuries. Some of that shift will take place beneath the ocean, displacing a colossal quantity of seawater. (Watch what your fingertips do when you flatten your hand.) The water will surge upward into a huge hill, then promptly collapse. One side will rush west, toward Japan. The other side will rush east, in a seven-hundred-mile liquid wall that will reach the Northwest coast, on average, fifteen minutes after the earthquake begins. By the time the shaking has ceased and the tsunami has receded, the region will be unrecognizable. Kenneth Murphy, who directs FEMA’s Region X, the division responsible for Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Alaska, says, “Our operating assumption is that everything west of Interstate 5 will be toast.”

In the Pacific Northwest, everything west of Interstate 5 covers some hundred and forty thousand square miles, including Seattle, Tacoma, Portland, Eugene, Salem (the capital city of Oregon), Olympia (the capital of Washington), and some seven million people. When the next full-margin rupture happens, that region will suffer the worst natural disaster in the history of North America.

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by CORNER BLITZ on 2015-07-21, 06:41

The Rock will save us
avatar
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 5081
Join date : 2014-04-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-07-21, 07:05

CORNER BLITZ wrote:The Rock will save us
....and he might get the chance...


Thanks to that work, we now know that the Pacific Northwest has experienced forty-one subduction-zone earthquakes in the past ten thousand years. If you divide ten thousand by forty-one, you get two hundred and forty-three, which is Cascadia’s recurrence interval: the average amount of time that elapses between earthquakes. That timespan is dangerous both because it is too long—long enough for us to unwittingly build an entire civilization on top of our continent’s worst fault line—and because it is not long enough. Counting from the earthquake of 1700, we are now three hundred and fifteen years into a two-hundred-and-forty-three-year cycle.

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by HT on 2015-07-21, 10:15

LooseGoose wrote:The Really Big One An earthquake will destroy a sizable portion of the coastal Northwest. The question is when.


There is a backstop—the craton, that ancient unbudgeable mass at the center of the continent—and, sooner or later, North America will rebound like a spring. If, on that occasion, only the southern part of the Cascadia subduction zone gives way—your first two fingers, say—the magnitude of the resulting quake will be somewhere between 8.0 and 8.6. Thats the big one. If the entire zone gives way at once, an event that seismologists call a full-margin rupture, the magnitude will be somewhere between 8.7 and 9.2. That’s the very big one.

Flick your right fingers outward, forcefully, so that your hand flattens back down again. When the next very big earthquake hits, the northwest edge of the continent, from California to Canada and the continental shelf to the Cascades, will drop by as much as six feet and rebound thirty to a hundred feet to the west—losing, within minutes, all the elevation and compression it has gained over centuries. Some of that shift will take place beneath the ocean, displacing a colossal quantity of seawater. (Watch what your fingertips do when you flatten your hand.) The water will surge upward into a huge hill, then promptly collapse. One side will rush west, toward Japan. The other side will rush east, in a seven-hundred-mile liquid wall that will reach the Northwest coast, on average, fifteen minutes after the earthquake begins. By the time the shaking has ceased and the tsunami has receded, the region will be unrecognizable. Kenneth Murphy, who directs FEMA’s Region X, the division responsible for Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Alaska, says, “Our operating assumption is that everything west of Interstate 5 will be toast.”

In the Pacific Northwest, everything west of Interstate 5 covers some hundred and forty thousand square miles, including Seattle, Tacoma, Portland, Eugene, Salem (the capital city of Oregon), Olympia (the capital of Washington), and some seven million people. When the next full-margin rupture happens, that region will suffer the worst natural disaster in the history of North America.

Does that mean no more San Francisco? I'd be all for that.

But Seattle and Portland are awesome places and it'd be a shame to lose those, and the Olympic National Forest (who am I kidding, I love the whole Coastal Northwest). I'm guessing Vancouver would be knocked out as well?

I wonder when that earthquake will hit. Hopefully not in our lifetimes.
avatar
HT
Spartiate

Posts : 1404
Join date : 2014-08-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by Jethro Bodeen on 2015-07-21, 14:19

I can't wait.
avatar
Jethro Bodeen
Spartiate

Posts : 637
Join date : 2014-05-06
Location : In a van by the river.

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-07-26, 05:14

Inside the Family Battle for the Newman’s Own Brand Name

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-07-27, 17:09

Why This 14-Year-Old Kid Built a Nuclear Reactor

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-08-12, 11:38

Good Posnanski story on Tiger minor league player Mike Hessman.

No Minor matter Mike Hessman couldn't stick in the big leagues, but he slugged enough to set a record


TOLEDO — The 433rd home run of Mike Hessman’s sprawling minor-league career skied toward the Fifth Third sign that towers over the scoreboard in left field. The ball easily cleared the fence and bounced in a gap underneath the Kroger sign. It landed on a concrete slab, bounced over a garbage bin, a recycling bin and a high iron gate and skipped on to Monroe Street where someone picked it up. He refused to return it. He sensed this was a famous baseball.
The Toledo Mud Hens are in negotiations with the man as we speak.
* * *
Mike Hessman is no legend. That’s not a knock. It’s a compliment. If he were a legend, his story would have a sad ring to it. If he were a legend, then you would look at his record 433 minor-league home runs, you would look at his 19-year career in Macon and Danville and Myrtle Beach and Greenville and Richmond and Toledo and Buffalo and Oklahoma City and Louisville and Maracay and Culiacan and Osaka, and you would think: “What a shame.”
But you shouldn’t think that, because that is not Mike Hessman’s story. He is not a legend; he’s a ballplayer. And he has lived the ballplayer’s life. “I feel honored, really,” Hessman says. “I feel special for being able to play the game this long. … I love getting out to different parts of the country, and the world, really. That’s the part I love. I’m a lucky person.”

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-08-15, 17:36

A true long read on life within Amazon....

Inside Amazon: Wrestling Big Ideas in a Bruising Workplace

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2015-08-15, 18:22

LooseGoose wrote:Good Posnanski story on Tiger minor league player Mike Hessman.

No Minor matter Mike Hessman couldn't stick in the big leagues, but he slugged enough to set a record


TOLEDO — The 433rd home run of Mike Hessman’s sprawling minor-league career skied toward the Fifth Third sign that towers over the scoreboard in left field. The ball easily cleared the fence and bounced in a gap underneath the Kroger sign. It landed on a concrete slab, bounced over a garbage bin, a recycling bin and a high iron gate and skipped on to Monroe Street where someone picked it up. He refused to return it. He sensed this was a famous baseball.
The Toledo Mud Hens are in negotiations with the man as we speak.
* * *
Mike Hessman is no legend. That’s not a knock. It’s a compliment. If he were a legend, his story would have a sad ring to it. If he were a legend, then you would look at his record 433 minor-league home runs, you would look at his 19-year career in Macon and Danville and Myrtle Beach and Greenville and Richmond and Toledo and Buffalo and Oklahoma City and Louisville and Maracay and Culiacan and Osaka, and you would think: “What a shame.”
But you shouldn’t think that, because that is not Mike Hessman’s story. He is not a legend; he’s a ballplayer. And he has lived the ballplayer’s life. “I feel honored, really,” Hessman says. “I feel special for being able to play the game this long. … I love getting out to different parts of the country, and the world, really. That’s the part I love. I’m a lucky person.”
That was an interesting. I've always wondered whether or not I'd just move on with life if I was in his shoes.
avatar
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 11876
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Rolling Hills

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-08-15, 18:41

Floyd Robertson wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Good Posnanski story on Tiger minor league player Mike Hessman.

No Minor matter Mike Hessman couldn't stick in the big leagues, but he slugged enough to set a record


That was an interesting. I've always wondered whether or not I'd just move on with life if I was in his shoes.
As long as the finances were workable I think I'd keep playing for 2 reasons - One, you never know when lightening might strike and you'd get the big chance at MLB. Two, having a "regular" job wouldn't seem too appealing compared to hanging with your teammates and playing a game for a living.  

On a slightly different point, I enjoy Posnanski's writing as much as any other sportswriter working today.   He seems to be a regular joe writing about whatever topics appeal to him without injecting too much of the soapbox or politics into it.  This is his personal website with many more stories...   Joe Posnanski

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-08-16, 14:35

Another baseball "lifer" story.....

Minor league lifer John Shoemaker has major impact on Dodgers organization

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-09-22, 09:02

The Avenger After three decades, has the brother of a victim of the Lockerbie bombing solved the case?


When Ken Dornstein learned that Pan Am Flight 103 had exploded, he did not realize that his older brother, David, was on the plane. It was December 22, 1988, and Ken, a sophomore at Brown University, was at home, in Philadelphia, on winter break. Over breakfast, he read about the disaster in the Inquirer: all two hundred and fifty-nine passengers were killed, along with eleven residents of Lockerbie, Scotland, where flaming debris from the plane fell from the sky. David, who was twenty-five, had been living in Israel and was not scheduled to fly home until later that week, so Ken absorbed the details about the crash with the detached sympathy that one accords a stranger’s tragedy. That evening, the airline called. David had changed his plans in order to come home early and surprise his family.

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-09-23, 07:42

What Happened After My Kidnapping


Hello, my name is Brad Pearson. In March 2006, you were one of three people who kidnapped me in West Philadelphia.
I’m writing this letter not because I’m angry at you, or upset, or hurt. The opposite, actually. While the kidnapping and investigation were difficult for me, in the end they made me a stronger man.
I’m a magazine writer now, and I’ve always hoped to talk to you and Jerry and Mordi about that night, and what your lives have been like since. I’d either like to do that by letter or in person. I can travel to Pennsylvania to speak with you, if you’d allow me to. I also included my email address, if that’s easier for you.
Again, I’m not angry, and I’d really just like to talk.
Sincerely,
Brad Pearson

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-10-13, 10:13

School Shootings.

Thresholds of Violence How school shootings catch on.

On the evening of April 29th last year, in the southern Minnesota town of Waseca, a woman was doing the dishes when she looked out her kitchen window and saw a young man walking through her back yard. He was wearing a backpack and carrying a fast-food bag and was headed in the direction of the MiniMax Storage facility next to her house. Something about him didn’t seem right. Why was he going through her yard instead of using the sidewalk? He walked through puddles, not around them. He fiddled with the lock of Unit 129 as if he were trying to break in. She called the police. A group of three officers arrived and rolled up the unit’s door. The young man was standing in the center. He was slight of build, with short-cropped brown hair and pale skin. Scattered around his feet was an assortment of boxes and containers: motor oil, roof cement, several Styrofoam coolers, a can of ammunition, a camouflage bag, and cardboard boxes labelled “red iron oxide,” filled with a red powder. His name was John LaDue. He was seventeen years old.

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2015-10-13, 10:17

NEW DELHI - When a rapist and killer said the woman brutally attacked on a New Delhi bus was responsible for what had happened to her, his comments were shocking in their insolence and lack of remorse. But the subliminal message has wide acceptance in India.

Blaming women for rape is what hundreds of millions of men here are taught to believe.

And the code for women in this country is simple: Dress modestly, don't go out at night, don't go to bars and clubs, don't go out alone. If you break the code, you will be blamed for the consequences.


Blaming Women For Their Rape a "Widespread Issue" In India
avatar
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 21681
Join date : 2014-04-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by NigelUno on 2015-10-13, 10:25

The New Yorker has great articles.
avatar
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 18056
Join date : 2014-04-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by By-Tor on 2015-10-13, 13:42

LooseGoose wrote:A true long read on life within Amazon....

Inside Amazon: Wrestling Big Ideas in a Bruising Workplace
sounds like a great chill place to work
avatar
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 945
Join date : 2014-04-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by LooseGoose on 2015-11-08, 17:48

The Cop at the End of the World
The longest serving officer at Australia’s most remote police outpost, Neale McShane is about to retire. But first, one last big weekend watching Birdsville, population 80, become an unlikely — and ill-suited — tourist destination.


On a map of Australia, Birdsville is situated toward the middle of the country, yet its remoteness is so absolute that it might as well be on another planet. Established in 1881, the town abuts the edge of the Simpson Desert, an enormous expanse that consists of more than 1,000 sand dunes. That a town was built here at all is testament to either human willpower or outright folly. It is not quite self-sufficient, as most goods are either trucked in via hundreds of miles of snaking gravel tracks dotted with roadkill kangaroos and carrion birds, or flown in via the twice-weekly mail service.

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-01-09, 18:44

The Lawyer Who Became DuPont’s Worst Nightmare

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-01-13, 16:51

Michigan connection....interesting story.

How a 90-Year-Old Missing Person Became a Hit on Spotify

This seems to have been, essentially, Converse’s experience of New York: she and her songs slogged their way through 1950s New York, completely unnoticed by the music industry. In 1961, the year Dylan moved to Greenwich Village, Converse moved out. She put away her guitar and left New York for Michigan, to live near family.

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-01-17, 10:03

FDR’s Nate Silver How a self-taught data whiz from Michigan became the first person ever to poll for an American president—and turned into a national sensation.

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-01-17, 22:25

The Tennis Racket

Betting worth billions. Elite players. Violent threats. Covert messages with Sicilian gamblers. And suspicious matches at Wimbledon. Leaked files expose match-fixing evidence that tennis authorities have kept secret for years.

Secret files exposing evidence of widespread match-fixing by players at the upper level of world tennis can today be revealed by BuzzFeed News and the BBC.

The sport’s governing bodies have been warned repeatedly about a core group of 16 players – all of whom have ranked in the top 50 – but none have faced any sanctions and more than half of them will begin playing at the Australian Open on Monday.

It has been seven years since world tennis authorities were first handed compelling evidence about a network of players suspected of fixing matches at major tournaments including Wimbledon following a landmark investigation, but all of them have been allowed to continue playing.

The investigation into men’s tennis by BuzzFeed News and the BBC is based on a cache of leaked documents from inside the sport – the Fixing Files – as well as an original analysis of the betting activity on 26,000 matches and interviews across three continents with gambling and match-fixing experts, tennis officials, and players.

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-03-01, 15:00

The Plot to Take Down a Fox News Analyst For years, Wayne Simmons claimed to be a former C.I.A. operative. Then one ex-spook got suspicious.

Kent Clizbe, a 55-year-old former C.I.A. officer and intelligence contractor, has cultivated a diverse set of interests in his later years. He loves bird watching and participates in his local Christmas Bird Count, an informal census organized by the Audubon Society. He has a patent on a device, the TimeOff, that prevents unattended-stove fires. But Clizbe’s true motivating force — a holdover, perhaps, from his decade with the agency — is an unrelenting compulsion to get to the bottom of things. He vets every person he meets, interrogating every fact presented to him. This perpetual need to turn everything inside out is the defining trait of Clizbe’s personality, and he remains faithful to it, even when it incurs him great personal expense.

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-04-06, 09:20

Couldn't find another thread that this fit so here ya go....

A farewell to MSU's most interesting coach, Tom Minkel

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-04-27, 20:01

Damned interesting article....

Nestlé’s Half-Billion-Dollar Noodle Debacle in India

A version of this article appears in the May 1, 2016 issue of Fortune with the headline “Nestlé’s Hot Mess.”

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by Turtleneck on 2016-04-27, 20:06

I want to read a lot of these articles but I do not have the attention span.
avatar
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 20458
Join date : 2014-04-22
Location : tswill.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2016-04-27, 20:11

Turtleneck wrote:I want to read a lot of these articles but I do not have the attention span.
I watched a few minutes of the video. Interesting story but the reporter's  jaw was driving me nuts. Will probably watch more later after my stomach quits doing flips.
avatar
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 11876
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Rolling Hills

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by Turtleneck on 2016-04-27, 20:12

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:I want to read a lot of these articles but I do not have the attention span.
I watched a few minutes of the video. Interesting story but the reporter's  jaw was driving me nuts. Will probably watch more later after my stomach quits doing flips.

How long is the video? If it is only a few minutes I can get through it without picking up my phone.
avatar
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 20458
Join date : 2014-04-22
Location : tswill.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2016-04-27, 20:14

Turtleneck wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:
I watched a few minutes of the video. Interesting story but the reporter's  jaw was driving me nuts. Will probably watch more later after my stomach quits doing flips.

How long is the video? If it is only a few minutes I can get through it without picking up my phone.
I don't know. Longer than the 3-4 minutes I watched.
avatar
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 11876
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Rolling Hills

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2016-04-27, 20:15

Also, do American companies always  fuck up in India?
avatar
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 11876
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Rolling Hills

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by Turtleneck on 2016-04-27, 20:15

Oh, that is too long. I will check my email after 90 seconds.
avatar
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 20458
Join date : 2014-04-22
Location : tswill.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by Turtleneck on 2016-04-27, 20:16

Floyd Robertson wrote:Also, do American companies always  fuck up in India?

In India, American companies fuck up in you.
avatar
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 20458
Join date : 2014-04-22
Location : tswill.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-04-27, 21:15

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

How long is the video? If it is only a few minutes I can get through it without picking up my phone.
I don't know. Longer than the 3-4 minutes I watched.

We're all different,eh? I never watch the videos my attention drifts but can sit for 20-30 minutes and read the article with no problem.

Most amazing tidbit in that article for me? That India has over 400 news channels Amazing.

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by Turtleneck on 2016-04-27, 21:20

LooseGoose wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:
I don't know. Longer than the 3-4 minutes I watched.

We're all different,eh? I never watch the videos my attention drifts but can sit for 20-30 minutes and read the article with no problem.

Most amazing tidbit in that article for me? That India has over 400 news channels Amazing.

I actually read a lot. Pretty much non-fiction, too. But it certainly takes me longer to get through stuff because I really do have the attention span of a little kid. I know something is really good when I can focus on it without putting it down.
avatar
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 20458
Join date : 2014-04-22
Location : tswill.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-05-09, 08:30

Not really a long read but a pretty damned nice story. If any of you are in the area you should support them.

Detroit car wash rallies around the Stars and Stripes

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2016-05-09, 08:34

avatar
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 21681
Join date : 2014-04-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2016-05-09, 09:31

This is kinda crazy. Very interesting. The real life family "The Americans" is based on.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/07/discovered-our-parents-were-russian-spies-tim-alex-foley?CMP=share_btn_tw

_________________
Yeah, well....I *also* cook.
avatar
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 14567
Join date : 2014-04-20
Location : Yeah, well....I *also* cook.

Back to top Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-05-09, 11:47

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:This is kinda crazy. Very interesting. The real life family "The Americans" is based on.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/07/discovered-our-parents-were-russian-spies-tim-alex-foley?CMP=share_btn_tw

Good story - the Canadian citizenship thing is tough. They shouldn't pay for the sins of their parents, but their parents were employees of a foreign government.

_________________
"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind mule"
avatar
LooseGoose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 30267
Join date : 2014-04-18
Age : 96
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum