Long Reads - General Interest

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-05-10, 08:18

I don't know if any of you ever noodled around on Silk Road - but this is a good story on the rise and fall....

The Untold Story of Silk Road, Part 1

The Untold Story of Silk Road, Part 2: The Fall

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-05-10, 09:46

Not a long read but an interesting read -

How Do You Put Out A Subterranean Fire Beneath A Mountain Of Trash?

Down beneath the layers of trash bags, banana peels, Chinese takeout cartons, diapers and dirt, the Bridgeton Landfill has become very hot. Normally you’d expect the process of decomposition to heat the interior of a landfill to around 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Parts of the Bridgeton landfill, in contrast, have reached temperatures as high as 260. That 120 degrees is the difference between a healthy landfill, decomposing merrily along, and one in which the systems of safe waste management are falling apart.

Bridgeton may be a typical pile of trash, but this is no typical trash fire. The heat exists 40 to 140 feet below the surface, in places where Republic Services believes no oxygen is present. It exists in places that are wet, soaked with leachate. Those are not conditions where fire should exist, by most common-sense standards.

It’s the underground fires that are the weird ones. Despite the USFA estimate of 400 or so per year, no agency is keeping track of how many there are. And some may not even be fires at all. I’ve used the term “hot spot” to refer to Bridgeton because engineers from Republic Services are adamant that it isn’t a fire — they call it a subsurface reaction — and believe it represents an unstudied form of heat-producing chemical reaction whose cause remains a mystery. Even if they’re wrong and the Bridgeton hot spot is indeed a fire, it’s a type of flameless fire — subterranean smoldering combustion — that is notoriously difficult to put out and plenty mysterious on its own. “We are talking about a completely different beast,” said Guillermo Rein, an engineering professor at University College London who studies subterranean smoldering fires. “The heat-transfer processes and the chemistry that takes places in smoldering is significantly different” from flaming fires on the surface. “We know very little about smoldering. We know even less about the deep ones.”

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-05-22, 22:41

I loved this band in their day....worked security for their show at Jenison. Got deluged with sweat from them for most of the show, that made it less pleasant.

The Curse of the Ramones 40 years later: The feuds, failures and breakdowns of the band that launched punk rock

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-05-23, 11:12

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on 2016-05-23, 13:56

I was once a confused angry late teen. In a different life, I could have been wooed to religious extremism.

My Son the Isis Executioner

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-05-24, 18:30

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2016-05-24, 18:54

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2016-05-24, 19:21

tGreenWay wrote:

Bieber.

Nope.

Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ on 2016-05-24, 19:37

This is my go to story page, you guys enjoy. You can thank me later.

http://www.asstr.org/~Kristen/preg/index1.htm
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan on 2016-05-24, 21:34

sεяεηιτλ wrote:This is my go to story page, you guys enjoy. You can thank me later.

Come on man...

Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on 2016-05-24, 21:36

CheesySpartan wrote:
sεяεηιτλ wrote:This is my go to story page, you guys enjoy. You can thank me later.

Come on man...

How did you even find that?

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ on 2016-05-24, 21:41

CheesySpartan wrote:

Come on man...

Wait, I thought this was tSwill, did I take a wrong turn and get back to tRCMB?
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ on 2016-05-24, 21:44

Rocinante wrote:
CheesySpartan wrote:

Come on man...

How did you even find that?

I have no idea, and that's the truth. Came across it Years ago, I just re googled it especially for you swine.
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2016-05-24, 21:52

Be careful, the GSM have banned others for less.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck on 2016-05-24, 22:23

The Co9 likes the trickery and will override a GSM ban.
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by sεяεηιτλ on 2016-05-24, 22:38

You guys speak a foreign language. I was called back by a notification email on an old thread and have found nothing but confusion.
sεяεηιτλ
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2016-05-24, 22:43

sεяεηιτλ wrote:You guys speak a foreign language. I was called back by a notification email on an old thread and have found nothing but confusion.

There are a lot of inside jokes. There is a solid core of 20-25 posters here who like to fuck with each other.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-06-02, 08:10

The Ringer - Bill Simmon's new home just opened. One of their 1st stories - pretty interesting.

Be Like Steph? LaVar Ball and his three sons are trying to change basketball, one 30-foot shot at a time

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-06-03, 18:44

With a Michigan connection.....

The True Story Of The Fake Zombies, The Strangest Con In Rock History

I pull up another grainy photo from 1969 on my laptop: a traditional black and white press photo for the Original “Zombies” (in conspicuous scare quotes), autographed. There are only four guys pictured despite the fact that the Zombies were a five-piece. I inform White that the two young men wearing cowboy hats are Dusty Hill and Frank Beard from the legendary Texas blues-rock band ZZ Top, although the names D. Cruz and Chris Page are scrawled over them. The real Zombies would have never worn cowboy hats.
The Zombies quietly disbanded when Odessey and Oracle failed to make the charts. Nobody even saw fit to correct the unintentionally misspelled “Odessey” on the record’s cover, viewed in hindsight as typical psychedelic-era wordplay. Almost two years after their breakup, after little fanfare and two failed singles, the band’s U.S. label, Date Records, decided to release the track “Time of the Season” as a last-ditch effort; the song went to No. 3 on the Billboard chart and the Zombies were suddenly in demand.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2016-06-03, 22:10

I wouldn't call this a long read in the spirit of the others, but interesting and pretty entertaining. I'm big on a low carb diet. I bought some of this stuff for my protein shakes. It's actually damn tasty. So far have only tried vanilla bean but today I saw some of the "cake" flavor and the "mint chip" flavor at the grocer so I nabbed it.

http://www.gq.com/story/halo-top-ice-cream-review-diet

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! on 2016-06-04, 07:55

I like long reads whenever I take a long poo

Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2016-06-04, 08:15

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I wouldn't call this a long read in the spirit of the others, but interesting and pretty entertaining. I'm big on a low carb diet. I bought some of this stuff for my protein shakes. It's actually damn tasty. So far have only tried vanilla bean but today I saw some of the "cake" flavor and the "mint chip" flavor at the grocer so I nabbed it.

Shocking mr meat smoker/grilled would be a low carb fan.

Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-06-04, 08:33

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I wouldn't call this a long read in the spirit of the others, but interesting and pretty entertaining. I'm big on a low carb diet. I bought some of this stuff for my protein shakes. It's actually damn tasty. So far have only tried vanilla bean but today I saw some of the "cake" flavor and the "mint chip" flavor at the grocer so I nabbed it.

Oh that fits. Sort of like the fat free yogurt on Seinfeld only it really is low cal. I'll bet you could sell that diet to someone, eating all ice cream and losing a pound a day.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-06-11, 18:54

Just for Roc......damned interesting WY based story.

CITIZEN KHAN Behind a Muslim community in northern Wyoming lies one enterprising man—and countless tamales.

The first person in Sheridan, Wyoming, to learn that Hot Tamale Louie had been knifed to death was William Henry Harrison, Jr. The news came by telegram, the day after the murder. Harrison was the son of a member of Congress, the great-grandson of one President, the great-great-great-grandson of another President, and the great-great-great-great-grandson of one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. Hot Tamale Louie was the son of nobody knows who, the grandson of nobody knows who, and the great-great-grandson of nobody knows who. He had been selling tamales in Sheridan since Buffalo Bill rode in the town parade, sold them when President Taft came to visit, was still selling them when the Russians sent Sputnik into space and the British sent the Beatles to America.

By then, Louie was a local legend, and his murder shocked everyone. It was front-page, above-the-fold news in Sheridan, and made headlines throughout Wyoming, Colorado, and South Dakota. It travelled by word of mouth across the state to Yellowstone, and by post to California, where former Sheridan residents opened their mailboxes to find letters from home-town friends mourning Louie’s death.

That was in 1964. Two years later, the killer was tried, found guilty, hanged, removed from the gallows, then hanged again. Within a few years after that, Louie, his tamales, his murder, and everything else about him had faded from the headlines. A half century passed. Then, late last year, he wound up back in the news.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-06-20, 22:34

The Big Hack

A scenario that could happen based on what already has

On December 4, 2017, at a little before nine in the morning, an executive at Goldman Sachs was swiping through the day’s market report in the backseat of a hired SUV heading south on the West Side Highway when his car suddenly swerved to the left, throwing him against the window and pinning a sedan and its driver against the concrete median. A taxi ran into the SUV’s rear fender and spun into the next lane, forcing a school-bus driver to slam on his brakes. Within minutes, nothing was moving from the Intrepid to the Whitney. When the Goldman exec came to, his driver swore that the crash hadn’t been his fault: The car had done it.

Moments later, on the George Washington Bridge, an SUV veered in front of an 18-wheeler, causing it to jackknife across all four lanes and block traffic heading into the city. The crashes were not a coincidence. Within minutes, there were pileups on 51st Street, the southbound BQE, as far north as the Merritt Parkway, and inside the Midtown Tunnel. By nine, Canal Street was paralyzed, as was the corner of 23rd and Broadway, and every tentacle of what used to be called the Triborough Bridge. At the center of each accident was an SUV of the same make and model, but as the calls came in to the city’s 911 centers in the Bronx and Brooklyn, the operators simply chalked them up to Monday-morning road rage. No one had yet realized that New York City had just been hit by a cyberattack — or that, with the city’s water system, mass transportation, banks, emergency services, and pretty much everything else now wired together in the name of technological progress, the worst was yet to come.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2016-06-20, 23:47

I don't feel bad for Goldman Sachs executives to be late for meetings.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-07-31, 12:43

Not especially long....just a nice story.

Mute and Alone, He Was Never Short of Kind Words or Friends

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2016-07-31, 13:52

LooseGoose wrote:Not especially long....just a nice story.

Wow. Interesting story.
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-08-05, 10:33

The Original Underclass - Poor white Americans’ current crisis shouldn’t have caught the rest of the country as off guard as it has.

Sometime during the past few years, the country started talking differently about white Americans of modest means. Early in the Obama era, the ennobling language of campaign pundits prevailed. There was much discussion of “white working-class voters,” with whom the Democrats, and especially Barack Obama, were having such trouble connecting. Never mind that this overbroad category of Americans—the exit pollsters’ definition was anyone without a four-year college degree, or more than a third of the electorate—obliterated major differences in geography, ethnicity, and culture. The label served to conjure a vast swath of salt-of-the-earth citizens living and working in the wide-open spaces between the coasts—Sarah Palin’s “real America”—who were dubious of the effete, hifalutin types increasingly dominating the party that had once purported to represent the common man. The “white working class” connoted virtue and integrity. A party losing touch with it was a party unmoored.

That flattering glow has faded away. Today, less privileged white Americans are considered to be in crisis, and the language of sociologists and pathologists predominates.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2016-08-05, 10:36

Read this the other day. This is actually outstanding if you're a Seinfeld fan.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B50l484pDaMobXI2Wk5CX0NMbkU/view

Context here:

http://splitsider.com/2016/08/this-seinfeld-911-spec-script-is-insane-and-incredible/

Here’s a great way to make a name for yourself as a comedy writer: write a pitch-perfect spec script for the classic sitcom Seinfeld… set in the days after 9/11. Yes, Seinfeld may have gone off the air in 1998, but comedian Billy Domineau imagined a world in which the show kept airing and Jerry, George, Elaine, and Kramer acted like the entitled, selfish, near-sociopathic New Yorkers that they always were during one of the most trying and intense times in the city’s history. It also includes Newman, George’s parents, Uncle Leo, Jackie Chiles, Mr. Wilhelm, and George Steinbrenner. Reading the resulting pitch-black script, it’s impossible to not picture it perfectly.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-08-06, 13:49

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-08-11, 01:12

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-08-15, 16:24

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-08-16, 10:33

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan on 2016-08-16, 11:35

Floyd Robertson wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Not especially long....just a nice story.

Wow. Interesting story.

Yes. Very good read.

Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-08-20, 19:05

More than you ever wanted to know about TGIFs and ilk......interesting though.

The Death of Flair: As Friday's Goes Minimalist, What Happens to the Antiques?

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-08-29, 22:14

The night of the Kalamazoo Uber Killer:

The Uber Killer: The Real Story of One Night of Terror

On a Saturday evening in February, a 45-year-old Uber driver and father of two named Jason Dalton got into his car, left his home near Kalamazoo, Michigan, and began shooting people. But the strangest, most unfathomable thing about the night that Dalton killed and killed again is what he did in between.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2016-09-09, 10:34

‘We’re the Only Plane in the Sky’

Nearly every American above a certain age remembers precisely where they were on September 11, 2001. But for a tiny handful of people, those memories touch American presidential history. Shortly after the attacks began, the most powerful man in the world, who had been informed of the World Trade Center explosions in a Florida classroom, was escorted to a runway and sent to the safest place his handlers could think of: The open sky.
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-09-22, 15:25

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-09-25, 20:17

Not especially long but interesting if you've ever coded.

The Megaprocessor Laughs at Your Puny Integrated Circuits

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum