Long Reads - General Interest

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Long Reads - General Interest

Post by gHost Spartan on 2016-09-25, 20:28

LooseGoose wrote:I don't know if any of you ever noodled around on Silk Road - but this is a good story on the rise and fall....

The Untold Story of Silk Road, Part 1

The Untold Story of Silk Road, Part 2: The Fall

This was pretty fascinating. I've actually read it twice.
gHost Spartan
Ephor (Advocate)
Ephor (Advocate)

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-09-25, 20:31

gHost Spartan wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:I don't know if any of you ever noodled around on Silk Road - but this is a good story on the rise and fall....

The Untold Story of Silk Road, Part 1

The Untold Story of Silk Road, Part 2: The Fall

This was pretty fascinating. I've actually read it twice.

Pretty random how they tracked him down.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-09-30, 10:32

Not a long read but an interesting little story.

Putnam: Army general's lost ring unearthed in East Lansing

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-10-16, 22:06

Political but not really partisan....

Dangerous idiots: how the liberal media elite failed working-class Americans

When we talked, Zaitchik mentioned HBO talk-show host Bill Maher, who he pointed out “basically makes eugenics-level arguments about anyone who votes for Donald Trump having congenital defects. You would never get away with talking that way about any other group of people and still have a TV show.”

Maher is, perhaps, the pinnacle of classist smugness. In the summer of 1998, when I was 17 and just out of high school, I worked at a grain elevator during the wheat harvest. An elevator 50 miles east in Haysville, Kansas, exploded (grain dust is highly combustible), killing seven workers. The accident rattled my community and reminded us about the physical dangers my family and I often faced as farmers.

I kept going to work like everyone else and, after a long day weighing wheat trucks and hauling heavy sacks of feed in and out of the mill, liked to watch Politically Incorrect, the ABC show Maher hosted then. With the search for one of the killed workers’ bodies still under way, Maher joked, as I recall, that the people should check their loaves of Wonder Bread.

That moment was perhaps my first reckoning with the hard truth that, throughout my life, I would politically identify with the same people who often insult the place I am from.

Such derision is so pervasive that it’s often imperceptible to the economically privileged. Those who write, discuss, and publish newspapers, books, and magazines with best intentions sometimes offend with obliviousness.

Many people recommended to me the bestselling new history book White Trash, for instance, without registering that its title is a slur that refers to me and the people I love as garbage. My happy relief that someone set out to tell this ignored thread of our shared past was squashed by my wincing every time I saw it on my shelf, so much so that I finally took the book jacket off. Incredibly, promotional copy for the book commits precisely the elitist shaming Isenberg is out to expose: “(the book) takes on our comforting myths about equality, uncovering the crucial legacy of the ever-present, always embarrassing – if occasionally entertaining –poor white trash.”

The book itself is more sensitively wrought and imparts facts that one hopes would dismantle popular use of its titular term. But even Isenberg can’t escape our classist frameworks.

When On the Media host Brooke Gladstone asked Isenberg, earlier this year, to address long-held perceptions of poor whites as bigots, the author described a conundrum:“They do subscribe to certain views that are undoubtedly racist, and you can’t mask it and pretend that it’s not there. It is very much a part of their thinking.”

Entertain a parallel broad statement about any other disenfranchised group, and you might begin to see how rudimentary class discussion is for this relatively young country that long believed itself to be free of castes. Isenberg has sniffed out the hypocrisy in play, though.

“The other problem is when people want to blame poor whites for being the only racist in the room,” she told Gladstone. “… as if they’re more racist than everyone else.”

That problem is rooted in the notion that higher class means higher integrity. As journalist Lorraine Berry wrote last month, “The story remains that only the ignorant would be racist. Racism disappears with education we’re told.” As the first from my family to hold degrees, I assure you that none of us had to go to college to learn basic human decency.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on 2016-10-27, 12:27

Here's an article trying to answer the question many of us have been asking.

Who Are All These Trump Supporters?

He identifies as liberal, but the piece is not, I think a puff liberal piece attacking Trump supporters, it's pretty thoughtful.

Something is wrong, the common person feels, correctly: she works too hard and gets too little; a dulling disconnect exists between her actual day-to-day interests and (1) the way her leaders act and speak, and (2) the way our mass media mistell or fail entirely to tell her story. What does she want? Someone to notice her over here, having her troubles.

On a night that there were violent Anti-Trump protests.

The night was sad. The center failed to hold. Did I blame the rioting kids? I did. Did I blame Trump? I did. This, Mr. Trump, I thought, is why we practice civility. This is why, before we say exactly what is on our minds, we run it past ourselves, to see if it makes sense, is true, is fair, has a flavor of kindness, and won’t hurt someone or make someone’s difficult life more difficult. Because there are, among us, in every political camp, limited, angry, violent, and/or damaged people, waiting for any excuse to throw off the tethers of restraint and get after it. After which it falls to the rest of us, right and left, to clean up the mess.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2016-10-27, 13:05

Rocinante wrote:Here's an article trying to answer the question many of us have been asking.

He identifies as liberal, but the piece is not, I think a puff liberal piece attacking Trump supporters, it's pretty thoughtful.

Something is wrong, the common person feels, correctly: she works too hard and gets too little; a dulling disconnect exists between her actual day-to-day interests and (1) the way her leaders act and speak, and (2) the way our mass media mistell or fail entirely to tell her story. What does she want? Someone to notice her over here, having her troubles.

The night was sad. The center failed to hold. Did I blame the rioting kids? I did. Did I blame Trump? I did. This, Mr. Trump, I thought, is why we practice civility. This is why, before we say exactly what is on our minds, we run it past ourselves, to see if it makes sense, is true, is fair, has a flavor of kindness, and won’t hurt someone or make someone’s difficult life more difficult. Because there are, among us, in every political camp, limited, angry, violent, and/or damaged people, waiting for any excuse to throw off the tethers of restraint and get after it. After which it falls to the rest of us, right and left, to clean up the mess.
I don't need some self-righteous person to tell me who the racist, bigoted, misogynistic Trump supporters are.
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on 2016-10-27, 13:06

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Rocinante wrote:Here's an article trying to answer the question many of us have been asking.

I don't need some self-righteous person to tell me who the racist, bigoted, misogynistic Trump supporters are.

There's more to it than that Bob, ....(sigh) never mind.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2016-10-27, 13:12

Rocinante wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I don't need some self-righteous person to tell me who the racist, bigoted, misogynistic Trump supporters are.

There's more to it than that Bob, ....(sigh) never mind.

I'm just saying that I don't need someone to explain to me what I already know.
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-10-27, 13:16

And another thread gets crapped in.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2016-10-27, 13:24

LooseGoose wrote:And another thread gets crapped in.
wait.. we're not supposed to post a message on a message board?

I think I missed that part.
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-10-27, 16:20

Long sad tale with guest starring appearances by Jack Morris and Bo Schembechler.

The Writer Who Was Too Strong To Live

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan on 2016-10-27, 17:09

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:And another thread gets crapped in.
wait.. we're not supposed to post a message on a message board?

I think I missed that part.

You're trolling Bob

Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-11-12, 11:54

A really, really in depth article on the divisions in America. Written pre-election but well worth the time and it's a true long read.

HILLARY CLINTON AND THE POPULIST REVOLT

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-11-16, 17:53

Sean Trende from Real Clear Politics takes on American elections and history. Not a partisan article, interesting reading.

The God That Failed

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2016-11-29, 14:05

Cheat or Go Home: Inside the 'Dysfunctional Hell' of Becoming a CFB Coach | Bleacher Report (via http://ble.ac/teamstream-) http://teamstre.am/2gsPWgg
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-12-16, 10:29

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan on 2016-12-16, 10:40

Here's a piece from Bill Simmon's The Ringer web site.

A conversation with Maclom Gladwell about football related concussions and the NFL's marketing problem.

https://theringer.com/bill-simmons-malcolm-gladwell-future-of-the-nfl-b6e14a14124#.32m62z8yh
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2016-12-17, 11:16

Fun read. Guy live tweets his buddy's wife catching him gambling and their impending divorce. Buddy goes to Applebee's and gets piss drunk and the fun escalates from there.

http://totalfratmove.com/this-guy-live-tweeted-his-friends-marriage-ending-over-gambling-and-getting-drunk-at-applebees-its-a-must-read/?utm_medium=short&utm_source=Twitter

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2016-12-17, 11:17

Also, apparently take the Lions -7.5 this weekend. Who are they playing?

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-12-17, 11:36

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Also, apparently take the Lions -7.5 this weekend. Who are they playing?

Giants in NJ in the snow.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on 2016-12-17, 11:38

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Fun read. Guy live tweets his buddy's wife catching him gambling and their impending divorce. Buddy goes to Applebee's and gets piss drunk and the fun escalates from there.

http://totalfratmove.com/this-guy-live-tweeted-his-friends-marriage-ending-over-gambling-and-getting-drunk-at-applebees-its-a-must-read/?utm_medium=short&utm_source=Twitter

I've had watery pea soup, it's AWFUL.
Uh, I've had gelatinous, thick pea soup, it's TERRIBLE.
Pea soup, much like clam chowder, needs to have that consistency first, that you can stand the spoon up in it, but the spoon soon tilts, that's the consistency you want.
Number two: Uh, pea soup on it's own can be a little bland. It wants, uh, a fairly aggressive peppering and salting.
Number three: Pea soup needs a fine dice of ham. Not bacon, not any other meat, not turkey. It needs a fine dice of ham.
Uh, number four: Uh, pea soup scorches easily. You don't wanna heat it on a high heat. You wanna heat it on medium low, just until it's warmed through.
Uh, number five: Pea soup is best made, uh, by hand, not out of a Campbell's can. And the key to pea soup, you want a ham bone, uh, for the stock you make, uh, to, to boil your peas.
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe on 2016-12-17, 11:52

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Also, apparently take the Lions -7.5 this weekend. Who are they playing?

Pretty sure that was last weekend against the Bears. 12/11 was Sunday morning.

I've had watery pea soup, it's AWFUL.
Uh, I've had gelatinous, thick pea soup, it's TERRIBLE.
Pea soup, much like clam chowder, needs to have that consistency first, that you can stand the spoon up in it, but the spoon soon tilts, that's the consistency you want.
Number two: Uh, pea soup on it's own can be a little bland. It wants, uh, a fairly aggressive peppering and salting.
Number three: Pea soup needs a fine dice of ham. Not bacon, not any other meat, not turkey. It needs a fine dice of ham.
Uh, number four: Uh, pea soup scorches easily. You don't wanna heat it on a high heat. You wanna heat it on medium low, just until it's warmed through.
Uh, number five: Pea soup is best made, uh, by hand, not out of a Campbell's can. And the key to pea soup, you want a ham bone, uh, for the stock you make, uh, to, to boil your peas.
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2016-12-19, 08:58

https://blueshift.io/

Not a long read, but it's an interesting immigration graphic.
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-12-21, 11:06

The Last Unknown Man

He appeared out of nowhere. He had no name, no memory, no past. He was the only person the FBI ever listed as missing even though they knew where he was. How could B.K. Doe remain anonymous in the modern age’s matrix of observation?

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity on 2016-12-21, 14:52

Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

http://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-12-22, 15:05

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2016-12-24, 10:56

This is a great read on Steve Kerr.

Two things you may not know, one obviously a tad more trivial than the other. 1. Kerr's Dad was the President of a university in Beiruit and was assassinated during the Lebanese civil war in the 80's. 2. Kerr's brother is a professor at MSU.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/22/sports/basketball/steve-kerr-golden-state-warriors.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-12-24, 13:02

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:This is a great read on Steve Kerr.

Two things you may not know, one obviously a tad more trivial than the other. 1. Kerr's Dad was the President of a university in Beiruit and was assassinated during the Lebanese civil war in the 80's. 2. Kerr's brother is a professor at MSU.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/22/sports/basketball/steve-kerr-golden-state-warriors.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Had heard #1, never knew #2.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2016-12-27, 10:55

3 part series on the Detroit riots, the man who claims he started it, and his legacy. Good read.

Part I

Part II

Part III

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2016-12-27, 11:21

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:3 part series on the Detroit riots, the man who claims he started it, and his legacy. Good read.

Part I

Part II

Part III

Read those a day or two ago - good stories with details I'd never heard before. My family was in the real estate business 40-50 miles out of Detroit at the time. We literally had people pull up and ask what was for sale and empty so they could move right in.
Bought a house, moved in and never went back - just had a moving company bring their belongings.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2016-12-28, 11:13

12 year old gang banger murdered a cab driver in San Antonio in 1991. Still in prison.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/the-prisoner/

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2016-12-31, 10:31

Punch a hole in the sky

An oral history of The Right Stuff
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2016-12-31, 10:36

Floyd Robertson wrote:Punch a hole in the sky

An oral history of The Right Stuff

What a-hole are we punching in the sky? Harbaugh?
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-01-15, 18:48

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2017-01-25, 14:26

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/213869756/michael-wright-murder-mark-holdbrooks

Sad story. Did not realize Michael Wright, he of the 2001 Arizona Wildcats, was murdered.

Side note: We should have been in the title game since he was getting improper benefits from his Uncle. Instead they beat us by thirteen billion.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan on 2017-01-25, 15:11

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/213869756/michael-wright-murder-mark-holdbrooks

Sad story. Did not realize Michael Wright, he of the 2001 Arizona Wildcats, was murdered.

Side note: We should have been in the title game since he was getting improper benefits from his Uncle. Instead they beat us by thirteen billion.

Good read...sad story.

That game was tight till the second half and then we shit the bed.  Though I loved them both, that day, Bell and Richardson were way off.

Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-02-18, 11:07

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2017-02-18, 11:10

Welcome back Goose!

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LooseGoose on 2017-02-18, 11:12

InTenSity wrote:Welcome back Goose!

Thanks honey - got things back in line here.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2017-02-18, 11:15

LooseGoose wrote:
InTenSity wrote:Welcome back Goose!

Thanks honey - got things back in line here.

Goose! Where did you go? Come yell at me on tBin!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum