Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why wasn't Calvin Johnson out on the field for that last play?

+6
Watch Out Pylon!
steveschneider
Blanch32
Travis of the Cosmos
GRR Spartan
DWags
10 posters

Go down

Why wasn't Calvin Johnson out on the field for that last play?  Empty Why wasn't Calvin Johnson out on the field for that last play?

Post by DWags 12/4/2015, 7:11 am

Lions just lioning?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Why wasn't Calvin Johnson out on the field for that last play?  Empty Re: Why wasn't Calvin Johnson out on the field for that last play?

Post by GRR Spartan 12/4/2015, 7:15 am

Caldwell quoted as saying they expected a lateral play instead of a Hail Mary.

That type of coaching decision is right up there with "We'll take the wind"
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Why wasn't Calvin Johnson out on the field for that last play?  Empty Re: Why wasn't Calvin Johnson out on the field for that last play?

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 12/4/2015, 7:15 am

Lioning
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 12/4/2015, 9:53 am

Liedowns again. So dumb
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 12/4/2015, 10:01 am

I can't believe Caldwell actually said they were thinking lateral. I have no words.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 12/4/2015, 10:32 am

Who cares, didn't make a difference.

They put him in and Greenbay makes the pass then everyone is like 'why is Calvin Johnson out there'

I still like Caldwell, I think they really just need more pieces for him. Time to draft some OL men to give stafford some time.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 12/4/2015, 10:37 am

It's the Lions, who gives a shit?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 12/4/2015, 10:41 am

Fire the coach!!! (No really, I mean it!!)

Actually, I understand that hail marys sometimes get completed (11% of the time as mentioned by ESPN), but this was the worst defended such play I have ever season!  I mean, there wasn't a single defender who was even close to making a play on the ball! And the ball was in the air for 65 f'in yards!  Complete joke!

The guys one ESPN radio made some good but obvious points this morning:

1. A right handed QB always tries to roll to the right on that play in order to buy time for his receivers to get downfield.  Even though the Lions chose to rush only 3, they could've at least tried to prevent him from going to his right.

2.  DBs play defense for a reason - they're not good at timing their umps and they don't have great hands.  You need a big receiver or two back there on that play.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 12/4/2015, 10:44 am

DWags wrote: I can't believe Caldwell actually said they were thinking lateral. I have no words.

You just typed something like 14 words. Can't add like Blanch so not sure, but you have some words.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 12/4/2015, 11:27 am

Something something lions suck something something Ford something Los Angeles.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 12/4/2015, 12:22 pm

Vlad wrote:Fire the coach!!! (No really, I mean it!!)

Actually, I understand that hail marys sometimes get completed (11% of the time as mentioned by ESPN), but this was the worst defended such play I have ever season!  I mean, there wasn't a single defender who was even close to making a play on the ball! And the ball was in the air for 65 f'in yards!  Complete joke!

1. A right handed QB always tries to roll to the right on that play in order to buy time for his receivers to get downfield.  Even though the Lions chose to rush only 3, they could've at least tried to prevent him from going to his right.

2.  DBs play defense for a reason - they're not good at timing their umps and they don't have great hands.  You need a big receiver or two back there on that play.

Here's my take on Caldwell.

The Lions is like the Illinois job its awful and you aren't going to attract top coaching talent to the job.

You fire Caldwell, and all they are going to do is just replace him with the same shitty coach. I honestly believe he's about as good as it is going to get until major changes happen, and I think this Jim Bob Cooter guy is pretty damn good.

I think the Lions desperately need to hire someone that can frigging draft once and for all. Build OL and give Stafford time. What cost the lions the most was the OL was awful from the 2nd period up to the end of the game. Way too many 3 and outs.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 12/4/2015, 12:26 pm

steveschneider wrote:
Vlad wrote:Fire the coach!!! (No really, I mean it!!)

Here's my take on Caldwell.

The Lions is like the Illinois job its awful and you aren't going to attract top coaching talent to the job.

You fire Caldwell, and all they are going to do is just replace him with the same shitty coach. I honestly believe he's about as good as it is going to get until major changes happen, and I think this Jim Bob Cooter guy is pretty damn good.

I think the Lions desperately need to hire someone that can frigging draft once and for all. Build OL and give Stafford time. What cost the lions the most was the OL was awful from the 2nd period up to the end of the game. Way too many 3 and outs.

In other words Wayne Fontes might very well have been the greatest coach in the history of the NFL in regards to what he actually did with the lions.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by BleacherSwill 12/4/2015, 12:35 pm

DWags wrote:

In other words Wayne Fontes might very well have been the greatest coach in the history of the NFL in regards to what he actually did with the lions.

Yes, makes perfect sense. The best Lion football post 1957 was during the Fontes era. A Spartan.
BleacherSwill
BleacherSwill
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down