The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by Heat Miser on 2015-12-22, 09:57

I know it doesn't compare to the shaving of butt hair, but this is a pretty amazing achievement.

The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

avatar
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Posts : 4298
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Miami, FL

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by InTenSity on 2015-12-22, 10:47

Someone explain to me what all this means. I assume they can reuse the rocketship, which would ultimately make things cheaper.
I'm just trying to get a discussion going, I really don't have much to add.

_________________
Finally! Back to the Future!
avatar
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 10752
Join date : 2014-04-18
Location : Kendall

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That on 2015-12-22, 10:48

InTenSity wrote:Someone explain to me what all this means. I assume they can reuse the rocketship, which would ultimately make things cheaper.
I'm just trying to get a discussion going, I really don't have much to add.

I'm with you. Thought we have already been in space.
avatar
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 20810
Join date : 2014-04-18
Location : Denver, CO

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by Giant Moose on 2015-12-22, 10:49

I'm on Team Bezos not Team Musk.
avatar
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 5839
Join date : 2014-04-16

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by Heat Miser on 2015-12-22, 10:55

InTenSity wrote:Someone explain to me what all this means. I assume they can reuse the rocketship, which would ultimately make things cheaper.
I'm just trying to get a discussion going, I really don't have much to add.

"The Falcon 9 rocket costs about $16 million to build … but the cost of the propellant, which is mostly oxygen and a gas, is only about $200,000," Musk said. "So that means that the potential cost reduction in the long term is probably in excess of a factor of a hundred."
avatar
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Posts : 4298
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Miami, FL

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2015-12-22, 10:56

This is next gen technology kids. Groundbreaking stuff that will dramatically reduce costs once it is repeatable. This will shorten the timetable for getting a manned mission to Mars, which is the next logical step in space exploration.
avatar
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 11613
Join date : 2014-04-30

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by Heat Miser on 2015-12-22, 11:15

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:This is next gen technology kids. Groundbreaking stuff that will dramatically reduce costs once it is repeatable. This will shorten the timetable for getting a manned mission to Mars, which is the next logical step in space exploration.

Gotta be a bit embarrassing for NASA.
avatar
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Posts : 4298
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Miami, FL

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by InTenSity on 2015-12-22, 11:20

Heat Miser wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:This is next gen technology kids. Groundbreaking stuff that will dramatically reduce costs once it is repeatable. This will shorten the timetable for getting a manned mission to Mars, which is the next logical step in space exploration.

Gotta be a bit embarrassing for NASA.
NASA doesn't have anymore funding. I'd say its more embarrassing for the US than for NASA. The US was just lucky enough to have someone like Elon Musk living here rather than another country and took this project on.

_________________
Finally! Back to the Future!
avatar
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 10752
Join date : 2014-04-18
Location : Kendall

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by I.B. Fine on 2015-12-22, 11:22

Doesn't SpaceX have a contract with NASA, I assume based on historic costs?
If this process becomes routine, that deal looks pretty sweet.

_________________
What a country — where even the vacuous have a voice.
avatar
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 2303
Join date : 2014-05-07
Location : Namaste, Bitches

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by NigelUno on 2015-12-22, 11:33

Who is launching the satellites when the rocket gets into space? Monkeys?
avatar
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 18869
Join date : 2014-04-16

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2015-12-22, 11:33

Heat Miser wrote:
InTenSity wrote:Someone explain to me what all this means. I assume they can reuse the rocketship, which would ultimately make things cheaper.
I'm just trying to get a discussion going, I really don't have much to add.

"The Falcon 9 rocket costs about $16 million to build … but the cost of the propellant, which is mostly oxygen and a gas, is only about $200,000," Musk said. "So that means that the potential cost reduction in the long term is probably in excess of a factor of a hundred."

Think how much less expensive putting a satellite in orbit will become, when you take into account they can do at least 11 in one launch.
avatar
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 12814
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Rolling Hills

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by I.B. Fine on 2015-12-22, 11:36

NigelUno wrote:Who is launching the satellites when the rocket gets into space?  Monkeys?

They just had landed a giant tank on a dime and your wondering how they eject a couple hundred pounds (if that) when they hit altitude?
edit:giant FLAMING tank ^


Last edited by I.B. Fine on 2015-12-22, 18:35; edited 1 time in total

_________________
What a country — where even the vacuous have a voice.
avatar
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 2303
Join date : 2014-05-07
Location : Namaste, Bitches

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by Heat Miser on 2015-12-22, 11:44

InTenSity wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:This is next gen technology kids. Groundbreaking stuff that will dramatically reduce costs once it is repeatable. This will shorten the timetable for getting a manned mission to Mars, which is the next logical step in space exploration.

Gotta be a bit embarrassing for NASA.
NASA doesn't have anymore funding. I'd say its more embarrassing for the US than for NASA. The US was just lucky enough to have someone like Elon Musk living here rather than another country and took this project on.

It's not about "funding", it's about priorities. One would think reducing cost by a factor of 100 would be something NASA would prioritize...until one realizes they are a government agency & cost reduction is not really in their best interests [insert $900 toilet seat quip here].

NASA's proposed budget for 2016 is $16.5 billion. SpaceX's entire valuation is $~12 billion.
avatar
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Posts : 4298
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Miami, FL

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by I.B. Fine on 2015-12-22, 11:51

Heat Miser wrote:
InTenSity wrote:
NASA doesn't have anymore funding. I'd say its more embarrassing for the US than for NASA. The US was just lucky enough to have someone like Elon Musk living here rather than another country and took this project on.

It's not about "funding", it's about priorities. One would think reducing cost by a factor of 100 would be something NASA would prioritize...until one realizes they are a government agency & cost reduction is not really in their best interests [insert $900 toilet seat quip here].

NASA's proposed budget for 2016 is $16.5 billion. SpaceX's entire valuation is $~12 billion.

Yep, NASA has other priorities
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/space/7875584/Barack-Obama-Nasa-must-try-to-make-Muslims-feel-good.html

_________________
What a country — where even the vacuous have a voice.
avatar
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 2303
Join date : 2014-05-07
Location : Namaste, Bitches

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by DWags on 2015-12-22, 11:54

I remember where I was and with whom when Neil Armstrong took one giant step.

Shit blows me away. I hope I'm alive when we put a man on Mars.

_________________
avatar
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 21910
Join date : 2014-04-21
Age : 55
Location : Right here

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by Rocinante on 2015-12-22, 13:03

Heat Miser wrote:
InTenSity wrote:
NASA doesn't have anymore funding. I'd say its more embarrassing for the US than for NASA. The US was just lucky enough to have someone like Elon Musk living here rather than another country and took this project on.

It's not about "funding", it's about priorities. One would think reducing cost by a factor of 100 would be something NASA would prioritize...until one realizes they are a government agency & cost reduction is not really in their best interests [insert $900 toilet seat quip here].

NASA's proposed budget for 2016 is $16.5 billion. SpaceX's entire valuation is $~12 billion.

To compare those budgets as if the two entities do the same thing is really disingenuous.

_________________
It's only a matter of time before this thing blows up in our faces.
avatar
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 11649
Join date : 2014-04-21
Location : East Lansing, MI

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by Code_Warrior on 2015-12-22, 14:42

Great accomplishment. I think it's important to master this technology because we will not become a space faring civilization until we can build re-usable ships. The space shuttle got the ship part of re-usability pretty far along and this, along with what Bezo's team did a couple months ago are the first steps on making booster engine re-usability a reality. Perfect this, and strap several of them to a shuttle type vehicle and you have a system that can provide an awesome LEO capability to perform satellite repair/retrofit missions as well as having a choice of runway type landing sites at much lower cost.

Once LEO capability like this is routine, then we construct deep space launch facilities in orbit and launch extended human planetary missions from there. Or, possibly, build such a facility on the moon where it's low gravity well is much easier to escape. Very exciting stuff.

_________________

Give them NOTHING!  Take from them EVERYTHING!
"The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."- Thucydides
avatar
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 2169
Join date : 2014-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2015-12-22, 14:49

My buddy said he watched it with his kids and was so excited he picked them up and spun them in the air. That seems odd to me. I said I picked my kids up in the air and sang and danced with them when we beat Ohio State. Then again that probably seems weird to someone like Bob. I wonder if Bob picks his kids up and dances with them when Bruce Sprongstein hits a perfect chord during one of his music songs.

_________________
Yeah, well....I *also* cook.
avatar
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 15408
Join date : 2014-04-20
Location : Yeah, well....I *also* cook.

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That on 2015-12-22, 15:57

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:My buddy said he watched it with his kids and was so excited he picked them up and spun them in the air. That seems odd to me. I said I picked my kids up in the air and sang and danced with them when we beat Ohio State. Then again that probably seems weird to someone like Bob. I wonder if Bob picks his kids up and dances with them when Bruce Sprongstein hits a perfect chord during one of his music songs.

Ty?
avatar
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 20810
Join date : 2014-04-18
Location : Denver, CO

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by Turtleneck on 2015-12-22, 16:04

Rocinante wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

It's not about "funding", it's about priorities. One would think reducing cost by a factor of 100 would be something NASA would prioritize...until one realizes they are a government agency & cost reduction is not really in their best interests [insert $900 toilet seat quip here].

NASA's proposed budget for 2016 is $16.5 billion. SpaceX's entire valuation is $~12 billion.

To compare those budgets as if the two entities do the same thing is really disingenuous.

This

_________________
#BanGreenWay #TeamPylon #RawMilkIsTerrorism
avatar
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 23166
Join date : 2014-04-22
Location : tswill.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by Guest on 2015-12-22, 16:05

Giant Moose wrote:I'm on Team Bezos not Team Musk.

Ur a jerk for saying that. I had to get that off my chest sorry.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by Turtleneck on 2015-12-22, 16:13

SpartanDawgs265 wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:I'm on Team Bezos not Team Musk.

Ur a jerk for saying that. I had to get that off my chest sorry.

Agreed. What a horrible comment. There is no room on this board for what Giant Moose said, and I know most posters here do not share his sentiment. I hope Giant Moose can keep his mean spirited and downright terrible comments to himself in the future.

_________________
#BanGreenWay #TeamPylon #RawMilkIsTerrorism
avatar
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 23166
Join date : 2014-04-22
Location : tswill.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by Heat Miser on 2015-12-22, 16:46

Turtleneck wrote:
Rocinante wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

It's not about "funding", it's about priorities. One would think reducing cost by a factor of 100 would be something NASA would prioritize...until one realizes they are a government agency & cost reduction is not really in their best interests [insert $900 toilet seat quip here].

NASA's proposed budget for 2016 is $16.5 billion. SpaceX's entire valuation is $~12 billion.

To compare those budgets as if the two entities do the same thing is really disingenuous.

This

The point was that NASA could've easily had an entire SpaceX in their budget for years without making much of a dent had they had the vision & foresight. It's not quite as sexy as taking pictures of Pluto, but it sure is cost effective (and probably would have paid for itself many times over by reducing the cost of all those Mars/Pluto/Saturn/etc. missions).
avatar
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Posts : 4298
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Miami, FL

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by SpartanInNH on 2015-12-22, 17:59

Heat Miser wrote:I know it doesn't compare to the shaving of butt hair, but this is a pretty amazing achievement.

The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing




Totally. Fucking. Cool. Thanks, HM.

WOW.
avatar
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 3664
Join date : 2014-04-21
Location : The Heart of the Matter

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by SpartanInNH on 2015-12-22, 18:01

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:This is next gen technology kids. Groundbreaking stuff that will dramatically reduce costs once it is repeatable. This will shorten the timetable for getting a manned mission to Mars, which is the next logical step in space exploration.

Meh. I still think they should establish a station on the moon. Could be supported by mining.

Next step, Mars. My two cents.
avatar
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 3664
Join date : 2014-04-21
Location : The Heart of the Matter

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by Turtleneck on 2015-12-22, 18:04

SpartanInNH wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:This is next gen technology kids. Groundbreaking stuff that will dramatically reduce costs once it is repeatable. This will shorten the timetable for getting a manned mission to Mars, which is the next logical step in space exploration.

Meh.  I still think they should establish a station on the moon.  Could be supported by mining.  

Next step, Mars.  My two cents.  

I am sure they appreciate your contribution, but going to Mars will require more than two cents. You should have donated at least a whole dollar.
avatar
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 23166
Join date : 2014-04-22
Location : tswill.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by DWags on 2015-12-22, 18:05

SpartanInNH wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:This is next gen technology kids. Groundbreaking stuff that will dramatically reduce costs once it is repeatable. This will shorten the timetable for getting a manned mission to Mars, which is the next logical step in space exploration.


Meh. I still think they should establish a station on the moon. Could be supported by mining.

Next step, Mars. My two cents.

How long will this shit take? I got about 25 years left I figure.

_________________
avatar
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 21910
Join date : 2014-04-21
Age : 55
Location : Right here

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by SpartanInNH on 2015-12-22, 18:26

Turtleneck wrote:
SpartanInNH wrote:

Meh.  I still think they should establish a station on the moon.  Could be supported by mining.  

Next step, Mars.  My two cents.  

I am sure they appreciate your contribution, but going to Mars will require more than two cents. You should have donated at least a whole dollar.

Shit. Let me check the couch.
avatar
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 3664
Join date : 2014-04-21
Location : The Heart of the Matter

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by SpartanInNH on 2015-12-22, 18:27

DWags wrote:
SpartanInNH wrote:


Meh. I still think they should establish a station on the moon. Could be supported by mining.

Next step, Mars. My two cents.

How long will this shit take? I got about 25 years left I figure.

Real talk? Could happen within 15 years, if the right people put their minds to it. They won't, so ... forget it. I'm about to get ticked off again. Seems so simple, but then, I'm not a bureaucrat.

Seriously, though? It could easily happen in your and my lifetime. If....

You got it. If the right people put their minds to it. No guarantees there.
avatar
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 3664
Join date : 2014-04-21
Location : The Heart of the Matter

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2015-12-22, 18:31

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:My buddy said he watched it with his kids and was so excited he picked them up and spun them in the air. That seems odd to me. I said I picked my kids up in the air and sang and danced with them when we beat Ohio State. Then again that probably seems weird to someone like Bob. I wonder if Bob picks his kids up and dances with them when Bruce Sprongstein hits a perfect chord during one of his music songs.

Ty?

No, non Swillster. Ty would probably pick his kids up and dance with them the first time they drown a squirrel or something.

_________________
Yeah, well....I *also* cook.
avatar
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 15408
Join date : 2014-04-20
Location : Yeah, well....I *also* cook.

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by DWags on 2015-12-22, 18:34

SpartanInNH wrote:
DWags wrote:

How long will this shit take? I got about 25 years left I figure.

Real talk? Could happen within 15 years, if the right people put their minds to it. They won't, so ... forget it. I'm about to get ticked off again. Seems so simple, but then, I'm not a bureaucrat.

Seriously, though? It could easily happen in your and my lifetime. If....

You got it. If the right people put their minds to it. No guarantees there.

Sure would be cool.

_________________
avatar
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 21910
Join date : 2014-04-21
Age : 55
Location : Right here

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by SpartanInNH on 2015-12-22, 18:41

DWags wrote:
SpartanInNH wrote:

Real talk?  Could happen within 15 years, if the right people put their minds to it.  They won't, so ... forget it.  I'm about to get ticked off again.  Seems so simple, but then, I'm not a bureaucrat.  

Seriously, though?  It could easily happen in your and my lifetime.  If....

You got it.  If the right people put their minds to it.  No guarantees there.  

Sure would be cool.

avatar
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 3664
Join date : 2014-04-21
Location : The Heart of the Matter

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by Code_Warrior on 2015-12-22, 19:33

DWags wrote:
SpartanInNH wrote:


Meh. I still think they should establish a station on the moon. Could be supported by mining.

Next step, Mars. My two cents.

How long will this shit take? I got about 25 years left I figure.
Don't hold your breath. People and politicians are too selfish these days to seriously fund a mission to Mars. They pay lip service.

The technology to go to Mars doesn't yet exist. We simply lack the engines and the shielding required to minimize the duration of the trip and protect the astronauts from solar storms and coronal mass ejections. We need much more powerful ion engines and a more compact power source before such a trip is really possible. We might have the technology right now in theory, but it's very bulky and Mars is nothing like the moon. Getting off the surface of Mars requires a much more powerful rocket engine than that required to get off the surface of the moon and we simply can't carry that much rocket fuel all the way to Mars. While there are ideas about launching the return vehicle ahead of time and making fuel on Mars to fill it, there has been no serious development work done to date and we lack the compact power source to even run such a system.

In addition, we lack a viable means of landing such a heavy lander on the surface of Mars. Nasa just recently tested a capsule based system using an inflatable aero brake and hypersonic parachutes, but that testing has been done in Earth's atmosphere from low Earth orbit at much lower speeds than would be experienced on a Mars approach and both tests suffered parachute failures.

This doesn't even address the physical deterioration that will be experienced by the astronauts living in a weightless environment for so long, not to mention the mental challenges of living in such cramped quarters for so long. It's not like we have the technology to build a rotating ship that can provide Mars equivalent gravity. It's one thing to draw it on paper, it's another to actually build it and get out into space.

If there are any Mars trips in the next 25 years, they are likely to be one way trips.

_________________

Give them NOTHING!  Take from them EVERYTHING!
"The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."- Thucydides
avatar
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 2169
Join date : 2014-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by SpartanInNH on 2015-12-23, 07:13

Code_Warrior wrote:
DWags wrote:

How long will this shit take? I got about 25 years left I figure.
Don't hold your breath. People and politicians are too selfish these days to seriously fund a mission to Mars. They pay lip service.

The technology to go to Mars doesn't yet exist. We simply lack the engines and the shielding required to minimize the duration of the trip and protect the astronauts from solar storms and coronal mass ejections. We need much more powerful ion engines and a more compact power source before such a trip is really possible. We might have the technology right now in theory, but it's very bulky and Mars is nothing like the moon. Getting off the surface of Mars requires a much more powerful rocket engine than that required to get off the surface of the moon and we simply can't carry that much rocket fuel all the way to Mars. While there are ideas about launching the return vehicle ahead of time and making fuel on Mars to fill it, there has been no serious development work done to date and we lack the compact power source to even run such a system.

In addition, we lack a viable means of landing such a heavy lander on the surface of Mars. Nasa just recently tested a capsule based system using an inflatable aero brake and hypersonic parachutes, but that testing has been done in Earth's atmosphere from low Earth orbit at much lower speeds than would be experienced on a Mars approach and both tests suffered parachute failures.

This doesn't even address the physical deterioration that will be experienced by the astronauts living in a weightless environment for so long, not to mention the mental challenges of living in such cramped quarters for so long. It's not like we have the technology to build a rotating ship that can provide Mars equivalent gravity. It's one thing to draw it on paper, it's another to actually build it and get out into space.

If there are any Mars trips in the next 25 years, they are likely to be one way trips.

All of which is why we should be targeting the Moon first. Closer, lower gravity, economic viability (mining), closer in the event things go wrong. Better idea all around, but everybody's all "Been there, done that" when it comes to the Moon.

Still no politicians willing to fund it, so no real fucking difference in the end of it. Whatever.
avatar
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 3664
Join date : 2014-04-21
Location : The Heart of the Matter

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by DWags on 2015-12-23, 07:20

SpartanInNH wrote:
Code_Warrior wrote:
Don't hold your breath. People and politicians are too selfish these days to seriously fund a mission to Mars. They pay lip service.

The technology to go to Mars doesn't yet exist. We simply lack the engines and the shielding required to minimize the duration of the trip and protect the astronauts from solar storms and coronal mass ejections. We need much more powerful ion engines and a more compact power source before such a trip is really possible. We might have the technology right now in theory, but it's very bulky and Mars is nothing like the moon. Getting off the surface of Mars requires a much more powerful rocket engine than that required to get off the surface of the moon and we simply can't carry that much rocket fuel all the way to Mars. While there are ideas about launching the return vehicle ahead of time and making fuel on Mars to fill it, there has been no serious development work done to date and we lack the compact power source to even run such a system.

In addition, we lack a viable means of landing such a heavy lander on the surface of Mars. Nasa just recently tested a capsule based system using an inflatable aero brake and hypersonic parachutes, but that testing has been done in Earth's atmosphere from low Earth orbit at much lower speeds than would be experienced on a Mars approach and both tests suffered parachute failures.

This doesn't even address the physical deterioration that will be experienced by the astronauts living in a weightless environment for so long, not to mention the mental challenges of living in such cramped quarters for so long. It's not like we have the technology to build a rotating ship that can provide Mars equivalent gravity. It's one thing to draw it on paper, it's another to actually build it and get out into space.

If there are any Mars trips in the next 25 years, they are likely to be one way trips.

All of which is why we should be targeting the Moon first. Closer, lower gravity, economic viability (mining), closer in the event things go wrong. Better idea all around, but everybody's all "Been there, done that" when it comes to the Moon.

Still no politicians willing to fund it, so no real fucking difference in the end of it. Whatever.


Good shit guys. Thanks.

_________________
avatar
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 21910
Join date : 2014-04-21
Age : 55
Location : Right here

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2015-12-23, 07:35

SpartanInNH wrote:
Code_Warrior wrote:
Don't hold your breath.  People and politicians are too selfish these days to seriously fund a mission to Mars.  They pay lip service.

The technology to go to Mars doesn't yet exist.  We simply lack the engines and the shielding required to minimize the duration of the trip and protect the astronauts from solar storms and coronal mass ejections.  We need much more powerful ion engines and a more compact power source before such a trip is really possible.  We might have the technology right now in theory, but it's very bulky and Mars is nothing like the moon.  Getting off the surface of Mars requires a much more powerful rocket engine than that required to get off the surface of the moon and we simply can't carry that much rocket fuel all the way to Mars.  While there are ideas about launching the return vehicle ahead of time and making fuel on Mars to fill it, there has been no serious development work done to date and we lack the compact power source to even run such a system.

In addition, we lack a viable means of landing such a heavy lander on the surface of Mars.  Nasa just recently tested a capsule based system using an inflatable aero brake and hypersonic parachutes, but that testing has been done in Earth's atmosphere from low Earth orbit at much lower speeds than would be experienced on a Mars approach and both tests suffered parachute failures.

This doesn't even address the physical deterioration that will be experienced by the astronauts living in a weightless environment for so long, not to mention the mental challenges of living in such cramped quarters for so long.  It's not like we have the technology to build a rotating ship that can provide Mars equivalent gravity.  It's one thing to draw it on paper, it's another to actually build it and get out into space.

If there are any Mars trips in the next 25 years, they are likely to be one way trips.

All of which is why we should be targeting the Moon first.  Closer, lower gravity, economic viability (mining), closer in the event things go wrong.  Better idea all around, but everybody's all "Been there, done that" when it comes to the Moon.

Still no politicians willing to fund it, so no real fucking difference in the end of it.  Whatever.

Someday mining the moon's minerals might be worthwhile, but I have to believe it is going to be a long time before the benefit outweighs the cost. Other than Titanium, what is on the moon of value or that we're running out of in terms of natural deposits?



Then you get into the whole argument of who profits from mining the materials from a celestial body that is owned by 7.3 billion people?
avatar
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 12814
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Rolling Hills

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by Giant Moose on 2015-12-23, 09:53

SpartanDawgs265 wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:I'm on Team Bezos not Team Musk.

Ur a jerk for saying that. I had to get that off my chest sorry.
Why? I like Bezos. He's going to give average humans a realistic shot to enter space in our lifetimes. That's pretty damn cool.
avatar
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 5839
Join date : 2014-04-16

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by InTenSity on 2015-12-23, 10:36

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Then you get into the whole argument of who profits from mining the materials from a celestial body that is owned by 7.3 billion people?
I'm pretty sure its Comcast.

_________________
Finally! Back to the Future!
avatar
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 10752
Join date : 2014-04-18
Location : Kendall

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2015-12-23, 10:40

InTenSity wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:
Then you get into the whole argument of who profits from mining the materials from a celestial body that is owned by 7.3 billion people?
I'm pretty sure its Comcast.

lol!
avatar
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 12814
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Rolling Hills

Back to top Go down

Re: The Falcon Has Landed! Epic Views of SpaceX's Amazing Rocket Landing

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2015-12-23, 11:39

Floyd Robertson wrote:
SpartanInNH wrote:

All of which is why we should be targeting the Moon first.  Closer, lower gravity, economic viability (mining), closer in the event things go wrong.  Better idea all around, but everybody's all "Been there, done that" when it comes to the Moon.

Still no politicians willing to fund it, so no real fucking difference in the end of it.  Whatever.

Someday mining the moon's minerals might be worthwhile, but I have to believe it is going to be a long time before the benefit outweighs the cost. Other than Titanium, what is on the moon of value or that we're running out of in terms of natural deposits?



Then you get into the whole argument of who profits from mining the materials from a celestial body that is owned by 7.3 billion people?

Just clone Sam Rockwell a few hundred times to run maintenance on the mining equipment. Cheap and easy.
avatar
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 11613
Join date : 2014-04-30

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum