Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Here is your daily gun control discussion injected with race

4 posters

Go down

Here is your daily gun control discussion injected with race Empty Here is your daily gun control discussion injected with race

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-07, 13:22

I firmly believe that part of the current intransigence is because those gun homicides disproportionately affect poor minorities. (Gun suicides disproportionately affect white people.) Indeed, the only time that national figures seem to get fully engaged is in the wake of mass shootings that involve white people, either as shooters or victims.

“When a group of Panthers demonstrated at the Statehouse in Sacramento carrying loaded rifles and shotguns, the organization drew national news attention and (at least temporarily) rallied many political conservatives, including Gov. Ronald Reagan, to the cause of gun control.”

Reagan said of the Panthers’ action at the time:

“I don’t think that loaded guns is the way to solve a problem that should be solved between people of good will. And anyone who would approve of this kind of demonstration must be out of their mind.”

(This episode stands in stark contrast to the armed white men now occupying the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in Oregon.)

In response to the Panthers, the California legislature passed and Reagan signed the Mulford Act, which banned the open carry of firearms in the state. The N.R.A. supported the measure. The bill’s author, Don Mulford, said at the time, “We’ve got to protect society from nuts with guns.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/07/opinion/gun-control-and-white-terror.html
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Here is your daily gun control discussion injected with race Empty Re: Here is your daily gun control discussion injected with race

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-01-07, 13:22

So you've just totally given up on your goal to make the swill bin great again, eh?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Here is your daily gun control discussion injected with race Empty Re: Here is your daily gun control discussion injected with race

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-01-07, 13:24

so the article is saying that our country has different standards for white people than black people?

I never noticed.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-01-07, 13:24

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:So you've just totally given up on your goal to make the swill bin great again, eh?

I think Turtleneck is trying to send a message.
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-07, 13:25

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:So you've just totally given up on your goal to make the swill bin great again, eh?

It's how we lost LWS.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-01-07, 13:26

can we, instead, talk about recruiting? I'm really interested in the decisions a 16-17 year old kid may or may not make.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-01-07, 13:28

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

can we, instead, talk about recruiting? I'm really interested in the decisions a 16-17 year old kid may or may not make.

Hey, Bob, I wasn't complaining. Shut your face.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-01-07, 13:28

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:can we, instead, talk about recruiting? I'm really interested in the decisions a 16-17 year old kid may or may not make.

Hey, Bob, I wasn't complaining. Shur your face.
Here is your daily gun control discussion injected with race 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-07, 13:33

Robert J Sakimano wrote:so the article is saying that our country has different standards for white people than black people?

I never noticed.

That seems to be the case. He refers to gun control as "white terror." He notes historical instances where the targets of gun control were whites, but also notes times when even conservative politicians backed gun control because blacks were a perceived threat to white political dominance. Clearly saying that today's fight against gun control is because blacks are most impacted by gun violence, and if it was the other way around, there would be far less of a fight.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down