Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Board Republicans, Why Are You Not Supporting Rand Paul?

+10
Giant Moose
Robert J Sakimano
Travis of the Cosmos
Ass Dan
Other Teams Pursuing That
Vlad
tGreenWay
The_Dude
Watch Out Pylon!
Turtleneck
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Board Republicans, Why Are You Not Supporting Rand Paul? Empty Board Republicans, Why Are You Not Supporting Rand Paul?

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-20, 16:48

1. More sensible foreign policy than Trump, Rubio, or Cruz.
2. Truly believes in limited government and the importance of protecting the economy from government intervention.
3. Strongly believes in personal responsibility and is steadfast in his protection of civil liberties.
4. Can separate his religion from his politics (unlike Cruz).

Seems like he should be a pretty good choice. Why can't his campaign get any traction?

Last edited by Turtleneck on 2016-01-20, 18:30; edited 1 time in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Board Republicans, Why Are You Not Supporting Rand Paul? Empty Re: Board Republicans, Why Are You Not Supporting Rand Paul?

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2016-01-20, 16:54

Because Muslims and walls and shit.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Board Republicans, Why Are You Not Supporting Rand Paul? Empty Re: Board Republicans, Why Are You Not Supporting Rand Paul?

Post by The_Dude 2016-01-20, 17:00

Not a Republican but Rand is terrible with the media whereas Trump is a media maestro.  Plays them like a fiddle.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-20, 17:01

The_Dude wrote:Because he's terrible with the media whereas Trump is a media mastro. Plays them like a fiddle.

You're not supporting him because he is terrible with the media?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-01-20, 17:03

Turtleneck wrote:
The_Dude wrote:Because he's terrible with the media whereas Trump is a media mastro. Plays them like a fiddle.

No its why his campaign really never gained traction. He's wayyy too combative.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-20, 17:07

I agree that Paul is lousy with the media, but it is more his dull personality than anything else. He does not have the pastor-like skills of Cruz or the bravado of Trump. He is combative, but so is Trump to some extent. Trump does not fight in interviews like Paul has in the past, but he certainly goes nuts on Twitter and during his speeches.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-01-20, 17:09

Turtleneck wrote:

He's not supporting him because Paul doesn't want to bomb the shit out of everybody with skin color that doesn't match his own.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2016-01-20, 17:11

Turtleneck wrote:1. More sensible foreign policy than Trump, Rubio, or Cruz.
2. Truly believes in limited government and the importance of protecting the economy from government intervention.
3. Strongly believes in personal responsibility and is steadfast in his protection of civil liberties.

Seems like he should be a pretty good choice. Why can't his campaign get any traction?

Because Republicans have no idea what they really want. They just know they're angry and don't like ObamaCare. Everything else...."yeah sure, whatever".
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-20, 17:15

tGreenWay wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

He's not supporting him because Paul doesn't want to bomb the shit out of everybody with skin color that doesn't match his own.

I bet The Dude spray tans.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-20, 17:18

Vlad wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:1. More sensible foreign policy than Trump, Rubio, or Cruz.

Because Republicans have no idea what they really want. They just know they're angry and don't like ObamaCare. Everything else...."yeah sure, whatever".

I can see why a traditional conservative - somebody who believes in a high degree of order in society - would be opposed to Paul. But the rest of the conservatives that vote Republican should like this guy.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2016-01-20, 17:24

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Found The Douche on the interwebs:

http://terribletans.com/2015/07/orange-face/
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-01-20, 17:26

Turtleneck wrote:

Fox News tells Mr. Lebowski what to think.

Therefore, yes.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-20, 17:35

tGreenWay wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Found The Douche on the interwebs:

http://terribletans.com/2015/07/orange-face/

The Dude would never support bombing New Jersey.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2016-01-20, 17:35

Paul's foreign policy is bad and his views on 'ending the fed' indicate that he has no idea how the world economy works.

He's not really a republican as much as he is conservative and the points he is trying to get elected on having nothing to do with God or War, so it's tough to get idiots to vote for you, which you need if you're going to be president
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-01-20, 17:38

Ass Dan wrote:Paul's foreign policy is bad and his views on 'ending the fed' indicate that he has no idea how the world economy works.

He's not really a republican as much as he is conservative and the points he is trying to get elected on having nothing to do with God or War, so it's tough to get idiots to vote for you, which you need if you're going to be president

Didn't he sponsor an 'end the Fed' bill?
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-20, 17:48

Ass Dan wrote:Paul's foreign policy is bad and his views on 'ending the fed' indicate that he has no idea how the world economy works.

Republican is a party label. It is not an ideology. As a party, like the Democrats, it is home to a fair amount of ideological variance. I would argue he is a libertarian even though he calls himself conservative. As I said above, I understand why traditional conservatives do not find him appealing. However, the more libertarian leaning conservatives in the Republican Party should like Paul.

Although you do not like his foreign policy, it is probably better than what the three leading Republicans have offered. It is based on unilateral military engagement only when vital interests are at stake. Unlike somebody like Rubio (or Clinton), his foreign policy is not about remaking the world in America's image.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-01-20, 17:54

Yo Turtleneck -

Why do I keep hearing Republicans talk about rebuilding our military? Don't we spend the same amount as the next 8 countries with the most powerful militaries combined? Is this just a talking point that the republican voting base eats up regardless of facts or am I missing something?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-01-20, 18:06

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Yo Turtleneck -

Why do I keep hearing Republicans talk about rebuilding our military? Don't we spend the same amount as the next 8 countries with the most powerful militaries combined? Is this just a talking point that the republican voting base eats up regardless of facts or am I missing something?

It's not just a talking point. They actually want and feel that we need to spend even more money on our military despite the ass tons that we already spend.

Then they cry about how Democrats spend too much.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-20, 18:27

Spending does not necessarily equate to strength. However, you are correct, the U.S. outspends the rest of the world by a large margin. I would also add the U.S. has both unrivaled naval capabilities and unparalleled reach. This is before considering our nuclear capabilities.

First, let me say that power is hard to measure. Next, when you do measure power, it should be understood in relative terms. How powerful is the U.S. relative to other powerful states? The answer is decidedly in our favor. Furthermore, some Republicans and Democrats make the classic mistake of confusing power with influence. Pouring money into the military, while it would expand our capabilities, does not give us any more influence than before. Last, U.S. power and influence is in relative decline. While the U.S. is more powerful than any other country, and still has considerable influence relative to other countries, both are in decline. Contrary to popular belief, this pre-dates Obama. It has been that way for some time. Bush did a great disservice to American power and influence.

So there is some truth to the Republican claims you reference, but it is mainly a talking point. It is way for Republicans to continue to monopolize discussions about national security, where they are perceived to be stronger than Democrats. In any event, the decline must be managed delicately. Throwing money at the problem - massively increasing our military capabilities - is not an effective way to manage our decline.

Last edited by Turtleneck on 2016-01-20, 18:47; edited 1 time in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2016-01-20, 18:28

He doesn't favor bombing enough towelheads.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-20, 18:29

LooseGoose wrote:He doesn't favor bombing enough towelheads.

I am starting to think he can't gain traction because he does not want a foreign policy that comes from a Hollywood script.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-01-20, 19:27

I liked his dad... Rand rubs me the wrong way but I forget why. Wrote him off years ago for some reason... maybe it'll come back to me but there's been a lot of pots smoked in that time so no promises.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-01-20, 19:28

xsanguine wrote:I liked his dad....Rand rubs me the wrong way but I forget why. Wrote him off years ago for some reason... maybe it'll come back to me but there's been a lot of pots smoked in that time so no promises.

Tell us more
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-01-20, 19:29

Turtleneck wrote:
xsanguine wrote:I liked his dad....Rand rubs me the wrong way but I forget why. Wrote him off years ago for some reason... maybe it'll come back to me but there's been a lot of pots smoked in that time so no promises.

Tell us more

We'd have to go back to that 1800 grit sandpaper and I've tried blocking that memory out...
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-02-03, 12:29

...and the real limited government candidate among the Republican crowd is gone from the race...

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/03/politics/rand-paul-dropping-out-of-presidential-race/index.html
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-02-03, 12:37

Turtleneck wrote:...and the real limited government candidate among the Republican crowd is gone from the race...

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/03/politics/rand-paul-dropping-out-of-presidential-race/index.html
republicans are only for "limited government" when it doesn't benefit them or their constituents (white people) directly. Otherwise, they're the biggest advocates out there for big government.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-02-03, 12:40

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:...and the real limited government candidate among the Republican crowd is gone from the race...

republicans are only for "limited government" when it doesn't benefit them or their constituents (white people) directly. Otherwise, they're the biggest advocates out there for big government.

Rand and his father have a strong libertarian streak. I think he is rather genuine in his belief that government should be limited. By no means am I on board with Rand Paul, but I sympathize with many of his concerns about government.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-02-03, 12:43

Turtleneck wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Rand and his father have a strong libertarian streak. I think he is rather genuine in his belief that government should be limited. By no means am I on board with Rand Paul, but I sympathize with many of his concerns about government.
I hear ya..

but that's the reason he's no longer in the race. His views are true to the limited government concept unlike the run of the mill "get government out of my life" Republicans who basically mean "poor people and black people need to stop being poor and black".

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-02-03, 12:51

Rand seemed like one of the lone sane Republican candidates.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2016-02-03, 12:52

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Rand seemed like one of the lone sane Republican candidates.
He finished 5th in Iowa. He is a loser. Only the last 4 deserve our support.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-02-03, 12:53

Too bad, I had recently started following him on Twitter to learn more as an alternative to Frump and Cruz
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-02-03, 12:55

Floyd Robertson wrote:Too bad, I had recently started following him on Twitter to learn more as an alternative to Frump and Cruz
he's too rational to run for president in the modern republican party. It would truly suck to be a logical, rational republican trying to find someone to support. Kasich might be the only option.

Last edited by Robert J Sakimano on 2016-02-03, 12:55; edited 1 time in total
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2016-02-03, 12:55

Board Republicans, Why Are You Not Supporting Rand Paul? CWh1OqeUEAEyMbP

The clear choice
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-02-03, 12:58

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:Too bad, I had recently started following him on Twitter to learn more as an alternative to Frump and Cruz
he's too rational to run for president in the modern republican party. It would truly suck to be a logical, rational republican trying to find someone to support. Kasich might be the only option.

It truly suck to be a logical voter and find any desirable presidential candidate.

I'm going to start the movement to draft Mitt at the RNC.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-02-03, 13:05

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

It truly suck to be a logical voter and find any desirable presidential candidate.

true - the nature of the system is to discourage any worthwhile person from running.

I'm not a Hillary fan.. Bernie is okay but I'm smart enough to know that the United States is not going to elect a 70+ year old Jewish guy who is a self-proclaimed socialist.

luckily my life isn't dependent upon who runs our government.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-02-03, 15:50

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Rand was not all that pragmatic. He is fairly rigid. Because of that, I would not call him sane. His libertarianism draws some appeal, especially from younger voters who want to be able to get high and not pay a lot of taxes.

If you want pragmatic and not overtly ideological, a guy that has your conservative principles in mind but also wants to make government work, Kasich is that guy. Sure, he karate chops when he talks, but he also knows how to govern. He is a guy that most people could probably live with as a president.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-02-03, 15:51

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

true - the nature of the system is to discourage any worthwhile person from running.

I'm not a Hillary fan.. Bernie is okay but I'm smart enough to know that the United States is not going to elect a 70+ year old Jewish guy who is a self-proclaimed socialist.

luckily my life isn't dependent upon who runs our government.

Who makes the rules you live by everyday? Who collects your taxes, or says you have to outfit your bike with a 15ft pole and orange flag? Forget the last one. I forgot you live in Michigan and not Missouri.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-02-03, 15:55

Turtleneck wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Rand was not all that pragmatic. He is fairly rigid. Because of that, I would not call him sane. His libertarianism draws some appeal, especially from younger voters who want to be able to get high and not pay a lot of taxes.

If you want pragmatic and not overtly ideological, a guy that has your conservative principles in mind but also wants to make government work, Kasich is that guy. Sure, he karate chops when he talks, but he also knows how to govern. He is a guy that most people could probably live with as a president.
I've said it before, I'd consider voting for Kasich of Hillary.

of course, the GOP is too dumb to nominate a sane candidate with executive-level government experience.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2016-02-03, 16:00

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I've said it before, I'd consider voting for Kasich of Hillary.

of course, the GOP is too dumb to nominate a sane candidate with executive-level government experience.

Kasich of Hillary sounds so royal.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-02-06, 10:55

Turtleneck wrote: voters who want to be able to get high and not pay a lot of taxes.

That's one way to put it...
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next