Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ryan Adams & Noel Gallagher's The High Flying Birds

2 posters

Go down

Ryan Adams & Noel Gallagher's The High Flying Birds  Empty Ryan Adams & Noel Gallagher's The High Flying Birds

Post by xsanguine 2016-07-13, 23:31

So this was the concert I was suppose to go to with my father. Also, coincidentally, on Saturday I had an accident and am in crutches with a soft cast gauzed.

Anyways, Ryan Adams was great. I've always dug Noel, I think Liam has a better voice but Noel is the brains and can rip it when he wants to, plus he's a rockstar and acts like it. It's appealing.... Ryan's just a better songwriter but is awkward with the audience. I guess that makes him more down to earth but you'd assume a much more stoic, intellectual, deeper individual when expressing himself considering how much pain is in his songs.

I cried the entire time. Not like some weird guy off his meds, just kind of subtley... it was dark, rainy and more so just me remembering things. I had a smile sometimes, I was trying to hide some things sometimes, and then I was visibly sad others but there was crying happening definitely).

I don't remember the first concert my dad took me too. I would have had to be 2 or 3 at the time. One of the first I remember is Eddiee Rabbit in 1988 at some county fair. I'm pretty sure I saw Dwight Yoakam at the same concern. Dwight was and still is the man. I'm not big on popular country but Dwight is the man. When I eventually got into music we were certainly not country but my stances, my moves, the way I played guitar all were inspired primarily by Dwight Yoakam. To this 4 year old he was the coolest guy on the planet. The California cowboy. I loved the way he made a guitar sound and I was especially attracted to his unique vocals. That seemed to play a huge theme in how I I found inspiration throughout life. One thing we always recalled for years... he took me and my mom and we saw Bonnie Raitt. It was at Michigan Festival or something... it turned into a thunderstorm and they actually played for awhile but we all wore our empty popcorn buckets as rain hats.... we have a picture of it somewhere

I know in another thread I complained about my dad being emotionally absent, which he was. We never said I love you, I was never hugged by my parents or told good job, no congrats, or sorries... it was 'you could have done better' or indifference. But his father was the same way, though his situation was different because my dad had 8 other siblings so I doubt I'd do a good job being emotional there with 8 kids to take care of. They're all successful in their own ways, no bums or fuck ups or anything, so they did something right. Either way, despite my father being emotionally absent he went to the end of the earth to give me every opportunity to succeed. I was a 12 year old performing Stone Temple Pilots songs at every "open mic" type Saturday morning/afternoon session I could every weekend. He got his personal guitar lessons for 10 years. It wasn't much, financially, but he bought my first touring van that we modified (sleeping, etc) and used from the time we played for 5 people until we got some distribution and was able to regularly play for 1200. Actually, now that I think about it... once I started paying my bills with my gigging he would ask about it rather than tell me what I should be doing differently. So maybe that was his way of saying... hey, you're succeeding at something I've never tread in which impressed me which makes me want to know about it. Or he just wanted to know... either way I'll go with the first since it was different than how he'd normally ask me about it.

My dad took me to see Iggy & The Stooges in 1991
My dad took me to see Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, and Red Hot Chili Peppers in 1991
I've seen Eddie Rabbit, Bonnie Raitt, Willie Nelson, Lyle Lovett,
He's taken me to see every big band of the 90's except for Nirvana (we never got a chance). I even took my dad to see Tool once (wasn't really his thing but he did say it reminded him of Pink Floyd).

He was the type of guy who's done this since the 60's. The only thing he hadn't seen that I think anyone would have had of is The Beatles. He had tickets but he was only 10 and his mom wouldn't let him go. He saw them all individually. He's seen everyone and so when I was born he naturally took me to see everything, even stuff I didn't care to see. I don't care about the Doobie Brothers, but I've seen them several times.

The last show we saw together was U2 at Spartan Stadium I think it was 2012. He saw them in whatever was in Harpers back in the day.

I'm so glad I went to that Ryan Adams show because I also thought it'd be too hard. But I'm glad I went. I'm glad it took me through the emotional roller coaster it had. I don't think I've had a genuine experience with music in a 10 years and I was a musician for a living.... it's always been about other things, making money and shit. I needed this. I just really, really, really wish I had him to share it with because we really had a lot of problems when it came to getting along. We didn't get along at all... but we bonded over music, no matter what. I had a genuine moment with a complete stranger, too. It was the right timing to be considered "profound" for me at that point in the last few days.

My dad is the one who got me into Ryan Adams. I really wish he could have been there to share that experience with me. But I guess, in reality, there was always going to be a "last show" and that next show you wish they were at.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Ryan Adams & Noel Gallagher's The High Flying Birds  Empty Re: Ryan Adams & Noel Gallagher's The High Flying Birds

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-07-14, 07:40

xsanguine wrote:So this was the concert I was suppose to go to with my father. Also, coincidentally, on Saturday I had an accident and am in crutches with a soft cast gauzed.

Anyways, Ryan Adams was great. I've always dug Noel, I think Liam has a better voice but Noel is the brains and can rip it when he wants to, plus he's a rockstar and acts like it. It's appealing.... Ryan's just a better songwriter but is awkward with the audience. I guess that makes him more down to earth but you'd assume a much more stoic, intellectual, deeper individual when expressing himself considering how much pain is in his songs.

I cried the entire time. Not like some weird guy off his meds, just kind of subtley... it was dark, rainy and more so just me remembering things. I had a smile sometimes, I was trying to hide some things sometimes, and then I was visibly sad others but there was crying happening definitely).

I don't remember the first concert my dad took me too. I would have had to be 2 or 3 at the time. One of the first I remember is Eddiee Rabbit in 1988 at some county fair. I'm pretty sure I saw Dwight Yoakam at the same concern. Dwight was and still is the man. I'm not big on popular country but Dwight is the man. When I eventually got into music we were certainly not country but my stances, my moves, the way I played guitar all were inspired primarily by Dwight Yoakam. To this 4 year old he was the coolest guy on the planet. The California cowboy. I loved the way he made a guitar sound and I was especially attracted to his unique vocals. That seemed to play a huge theme in how I I found inspiration throughout life. One thing we always recalled for years... he took me and my mom and we saw Bonnie Raitt. It was at Michigan Festival or something... it turned into a thunderstorm and they actually played for awhile but we all wore our empty popcorn buckets as rain hats.... we have a picture of it somewhere

I know in another thread I complained about my dad being emotionally absent, which he was. We never said I love you, I was never hugged by my parents or told good job, no congrats, or sorries... it was 'you could have done better' or indifference. But his father was the same way, though his situation was different because my dad had 8 other siblings so I doubt I'd do a good job being emotional there with 8 kids to take care of. They're all successful in their own ways, no bums or fuck ups or anything, so they did something right. Either way, despite my father being emotionally absent he went to the end of the earth to give me every opportunity to succeed. I was a 12 year old performing Stone Temple Pilots songs at every "open mic" type Saturday morning/afternoon session I could every weekend. He got his personal guitar lessons for 10 years. It wasn't much, financially, but he bought my first touring van that we modified (sleeping, etc) and used from the time we played for 5 people until we got some distribution and was able to regularly play for 1200. Actually, now that I think about it... once I started paying my bills with my gigging he would ask about it rather than tell me what I should be doing differently. So maybe that was his way of saying... hey, you're succeeding at something I've never tread in which impressed me which makes me want to know about it. Or he just wanted to know... either way I'll go with the first since it was different than how he'd normally ask me about it.

My dad took me to see Iggy & The Stooges in 1991
My dad took me to see Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, and Red Hot Chili Peppers in 1991
I've seen Eddie Rabbit, Bonnie Raitt, Willie Nelson, Lyle Lovett,
He's taken me to see every big band of the 90's except for Nirvana (we never got a chance). I even took my dad to see Tool once (wasn't really his thing but he did say it reminded him of Pink Floyd).

He was the type of guy who's done this since the 60's. The only thing he hadn't seen that I think anyone would have had of is The Beatles. He had tickets but he was only 10 and his mom wouldn't let him go. He saw them all individually. He's seen everyone and so when I was born he naturally took me to see everything, even stuff I didn't care to see. I don't care about the Doobie Brothers, but I've seen them several times.

The last show we saw together was U2 at Spartan Stadium I think it was 2012. He saw them in whatever was in Harpers back in the day.

I'm so glad I went to that Ryan Adams show because I also thought it'd be too hard. But I'm glad I went. I'm glad it took me through the emotional roller coaster it had. I don't think I've had a genuine experience with music in a 10 years and I was a musician for a living.... it's always been about other things, making money and shit. I needed this. I just really, really, really wish I had him to share it with because we really had a lot of problems when it came to getting along. We didn't get along at all... but we bonded over music, no matter what. I had a genuine moment with a complete stranger, too. It was the right timing to be considered "profound" for me at that point in the last few days.

My dad is the one who got me into Ryan Adams. I really wish he could have been there to share that experience with me. But I guess, in reality, there was always going to be a "last show" and that next show you wish they were at.
awesome post.

someone offered me a free ticket to the show but I had some other things going on Tuesday evening. I would've enjoyed it.

As you know, any of us who enjoy (and even live/breathe music) have a soundtrack to our life. I actually have a Ryan Adams connection with my Mom, in a weird sort of way. She died a little over 4 years ago - the last 4-5 days she was totally bed ridden - wanted to die at home.

So.. there was the little hospital bed-thingy set up in my old bedroom - the same room I grew up listening to The Beach Boys, the Stones, all of my late 70's early 80's metal.. and, of course, Springsteen in. The room next to it had a computer and I had some Whiskeytown and Ryan Adams tunes playing one morning. I had a really weird relationship with both of my parents - we never really talked about anything of significance - but I did share a lot of musical tastes with my Mom. So.. on maybe the last day where she could communicate with anyone, she asked me to play some music on the computer in the next room. I said "sure, what would you like to hear" - and she goes "whatever you were playing yesterday - I liked that" - and it was the Whiskeytown/Ryan Adams mix.

so there she was, on pretty much her last day on the planet, listening to Strangers Almanac, Faithless Street - some tunes from Pneumonia, Heartbreaker and probably some tunes from Gold.

It's a good memory.

Hang in there, dude!!! As I said in the other thread, we're all crazy here, at times, but we're all crazy together - we love you!

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Ryan Adams & Noel Gallagher's The High Flying Birds  Empty Re: Ryan Adams & Noel Gallagher's The High Flying Birds

Post by xsanguine 2016-07-14, 08:06

Dude, you got me crying too early in the morning. Thank you for sharing that about your mother.

I wonder what my father would have wanted to hear.

My mom would have wanted to hear Vince Gill or Lyle Lovett. But I don't know.

I think I'd want to hear Van Morrison. But it has to be on a shitty 1970's vinyl system... no high def crap.

Either that or I've always liked Rod Stewart's version of Have I Told You Lately, but.... I dunno.

Maybe that's weird to think about but I think about it all the time. I'm terrified of death.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-07-14, 08:09

How great would it be to hear Moondance LP with all the crackling of an old speaker on a vinyl pressed in 1970. You older guys probably got to experience it like it was eating spaghettios but us Gen-X/Millenials didn't get that shit. We're just pretending right now by trying to bring it back with re mixing of what is already masterpieces.

There'd be times I'd find a certain tone on a guitar and I'd refer to it as either "it sounds like the end of the world" or once in a very, very great while just say "I could die to that tone ringing out in a Bm chord"

Last edited by xsanguine on 2016-07-14, 08:10; edited 1 time in total
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-07-14, 08:10

xsanguine wrote:How great would it be to hear Moon Dance LP with all the crackling of an old speaker on a vinyl pressed in 1970.

There'd be times I'd find a certain tone on a guitar and I'd refer to it as either "it sounds like the end of the world" or once in a very, very great while just say "I could die to that tone ringing out in a Bm chord"
that would be so sweet.. Ryan Adams & Noel Gallagher's The High Flying Birds  3493939353
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-07-14, 08:14

nearly 20 years ago, I flew to NC and surprised my Mom with tickets to see Springsteen.. threw her in the car and dove to Charlotte - she had a ball. Here's the setlist from that night:

My Love Will Not Let You Down
Prove It All Night
Two Hearts
Something in the Night
Rendezvous
Darlington County
My Hometown
The River
Youngstown
Murder Inc.
Badlands
Out in the Street
Tenth Avenue Freeze-out
Working on the Highway
The Ghost of Tom Joad
Dead Man Walkin'
Backstreets
Light of Day

First Encore:

Spirit in the Night
Bobby Jean
Born to Run

Second Encore:

Stand on It
Thunder Road
If I Should Fall Behind
Land of Hope and Dreams
Ramrod

3+ hours of pure, unadulterated rock and roll.. Ryan Adams & Noel Gallagher's The High Flying Birds  3493939353
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-07-14, 08:14

I really have to fix up my dad's Mustang now. I kept telling him I would and I never did. He bought that thing to "hand down" to me years ago... it's a 1976.... and it's gotten worse than better. I really want to do it up... premium small batch pickups, some Grover tuners, have it completely rewired by hand and then anything else needed... I'm sure the truss will have to be adjusted.

I'm debating doing anything major to it. Maybe this is the wrong thread.

It's a natural color... just like.. bam, they put a laquer on it and let it be. I'm wondering if i should even consider some sort of paint scheme or color.... even saying it seems sacriligious. What do you think? My dad was a horrible guitarist, I mean not good at all.... but he owned so many guitars cause he loved them and he loved guitars. I think he bought them to get me into, and it obviously worked.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-07-14, 08:16

Robert J Sakimano wrote:nearly 20 years ago, I flew to NC and surprised my Mom with tickets to see Springsteen.. threw her in the car and dove to Charlotte - she had a ball. Here's the setlist from that night:

Prove It All Night
Two Hearts
Something in the Night
Rendezvous
Darlington County
My Hometown
The River
Youngstown
Murder Inc.
Badlands
Out in the Street
Tenth Avenue Freeze-out
Working on the Highway
The Ghost of Tom Joad
Dead Man Walkin'
Backstreets
Light of Day

First Encore:

Spirit in the Night
Bobby Jean
Born to Run

Second Encore:

Stand on It
Thunder Road
If I Should Fall Behind
Land of Hope and Dreams
Ramrod

3+ hours of pure, unadulterated rock and roll.. Ryan Adams & Noel Gallagher's The High Flying Birds  3493939353

We already know you're a saint, Bob. I'm not that creative!

Thanks quite a beautiful gift to give to her, man. I wish my mother and I had had something in common... especially something like music.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-07-14, 08:20

xsanguine wrote:I really have to fix up my dad's Mustang now. I kept telling him I would and I never did. He bought that thing to "hand down" to me years ago... it's a 1976.... and it's gotten worse than better. I really want to do it up... premium small batch pickups, some Grover tuners, have it completely rewired by hand and then anything else needed... I'm sure the truss will have to be adjusted.

It's a natural color... just like.. bam, they put a laquer on it and let it be. I'm wondering if i should even consider some sort of paint scheme or color.... even saying it seems sacriligious. What do you think? My dad was a horrible guitarist, I mean not good at all.... but he owned so many guitars cause he loved them and he loved guitars. I think he bought them to get me into, and it obviously worked.
definitely get the car up and going.. don't overdo it on the physical refurbishing.. the rust and faded paint is what gives in character. Like the rest of us.. nothing wrong with workboots and faded jeans - hell, that's my everyday wear.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-07-14, 08:21

xsanguine wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:nearly 20 years ago, I flew to NC and surprised my Mom with tickets to see Springsteen.. threw her in the car and dove to Charlotte - she had a ball. Here's the setlist from that night:

Prove It All Night
Two Hearts
Something in the Night
Rendezvous
Darlington County
My Hometown
The River
Youngstown
Murder Inc.
Badlands
Out in the Street
Tenth Avenue Freeze-out
Working on the Highway
The Ghost of Tom Joad
Dead Man Walkin'
Backstreets
Light of Day

First Encore:

Spirit in the Night
Bobby Jean
Born to Run

Second Encore:

Stand on It
Thunder Road
If I Should Fall Behind
Land of Hope and Dreams
Ramrod

3+ hours of pure, unadulterated rock and roll..  Ryan Adams & Noel Gallagher's The High Flying Birds  3493939353

Thanks quite a beautiful gift to give to her, man. I wish my mother and I had had something in common... especially something like music.
Ryan Adams & Noel Gallagher's The High Flying Birds  502811600

that's me - Bobby Sak - Patron Saint of Vinyl and Paragon of Live Rock.. coming straight at ya at 33 rpm.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-07-14, 08:35

I guess the reason I mention my dad taking me to those shows in the late 80's and early 90's is because I was born in Feb of 1984. I was the 5-7 year old rocking out to Pearl Jam, or Dwight Yoakam, or Stone Tempe Pilot.... my dad was that guy. He didn't give a fuck what anyone thought. It was hilarious. It's affected me... I'll wear whatever the fuck and my wife will question me and I'll look at her like she's crazy...."You seriously think I give a fuck about the person that says "you're wearing that?"" I've got so many things I could say to them to leave them feeling like a moron. But that's all learned from my dad.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-07-14, 08:44

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
xsanguine wrote:I really have to fix up my dad's Mustang now. I kept telling him I would and I never did. He bought that thing to "hand down" to me years ago... it's a 1976.... and it's gotten worse than better. I really want to do it up... premium small batch pickups, some Grover tuners, have it completely rewired by hand and then anything else needed... I'm sure the truss will have to be adjusted.

definitely get the car up and going.. don't overdo it on the physical refurbishing.. the rust and faded paint is what gives in character. Like the rest of us.. nothing wrong with workboots and faded jeans - hell, that's my everyday wear.

The problem is they didn't use the best parts on the Mustangs, so I'm willing to keep what I can for the sake of originality. But the tuners have to be replaced. They used plastic... that's not going to fly. I want to pick something very "elaborate" looking to go with the style... that western look. But the pickups have already been replaced with Ernie Ball (yuck) pickups at some point. I was going to go with Lindy Frum Mustang replacement.

I grew up playing grunge music 6 hours a day after school so I like that feedbacky dirty sound. I like the Queen/Tom Petty/etc tone, too. I want it all. I've got a Fender Hot Rod... it gets great British stuff, clean with maybe a little chorus or something... but I want something dressed in dominatrix outfits and slap my taint with her whip... but also be able to change into a cocktail dress and let me smooth talk her table of friends into a multi-situation.

Am I making any sense? I'm a bit high and forgot to go to sleep last night.

Also on meds from this ankle, thing. Tramadol is such a pussy opiate, btw. I can't believe they can't give you something better than Tram when you fall 30 ft off a roof. I mean, jesus... weak ass vicodin seems like a better idea. Tram seems like headache crap. My whole goddamn heel is black and blue and I'm on crutches. Check my resume... I'm very knowledgeable and disciplined about opiates; give me some percocets if you're a doctor that really cares. Benzo's just suck all around. Who wants to just feel tired? (unless you have insomnia). Diazepam does not help the pain. It makes me feel like a useless zombie. I could do handyman jobs on percocets or something similar. I can't be working when I take Diazepam or Xanex. That shit is dangerous stuff.

I'll stop with my dissertation about my hatred for government's relationship with health care, Bob. Just heard some bad info at urgent care that made me want to play GTA 5 and jump out of the car while it's speeding towards the hospital. Obviously just in the video game, not in real life. It's pretty satisfying when you do it in video games, btw.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-07-14, 08:44

xsanguine wrote:I guess the reason I mention my dad taking me to those shows in the late 80's and early 90's is because I was born in Feb of 1984. I was the 5-7 year old rocking out to Pearl Jam, or Dwight Yoakam, or Stone Tempe Pilot.... my dad was that guy. He didn't give a fuck what anyone thought. It was hilarious. It's affected me... I'll wear whatever the fuck and my wife will question me and I'll look at her like she's crazy...."You seriously think I give a fuck about the person that says "you're wearing that?"" I've got so many things I could say to them to leave them feeling like a moron. But that's all learned from my dad.

I love Dwight Yoakam - got just a hint of glitz to him but still remains true to the old country stuff. He actually opened some shows for Jason Isbell last year and someone asked him what it was like to being a former star who is now "relegated" to being an opener and he was like "you know, I get paid good money to play music.. there are people who work a lot harder than I do for a lot less and, for that, I'm thankful".
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-07-14, 08:53

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

that's me - Bobby Sak - Patron Saint of Vinyl and Paragon of Live Rock.. coming straight at ya at 33 rpm.

You're a very good person, Bob. Again, I'm some weird guy on the internet crying over shit everyone goes through... so my opinion doesn't mean shit. But You've been so kind to me over the years I feel I can't explain my appreciation for your existence enough.

It's why I don't engage your crazy views on politics, because we'd end up in some sort of clawing match. Ryan Adams & Noel Gallagher's The High Flying Birds  3742235224 j/k, I love reading your political beliefs, Bob. I practically always disagree with them, but you're an honest man. And I'd vote for someone I thought was honest but at I disagree with more than someone I don't think I could trust but says all the things that jive with me.

Love you, Bob. You're a great person to have in e-life. Thanks for letting me do a little venting. I've been told I should be doing it when I'm feeling down about this because it's suppose to be theurapetic or something. I dunno, it was some white guy that looked like those Up North©️ kinds of guys. You know the type.... wash their hands every time they come inside, makes people take their shoes off at their house... anyway, he makes a lot of money telling people how to get past problem's he's never had to personally deal with but some private university he paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to apparently tells him he's prepared to explain it to the rest of us and he's the expert.
I'm very optimistic, as you tell.
I keep, he seems like a smart chap. I'm willing to try his suggestions.

As you can tell... the drugs have kicked in, specifically the benzos.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-07-14, 09:00

xsanguine wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

You're a very good person, Bob. Again, I'm some weird guy on the internet crying over shit everyone goes through... so my opinion doesn't mean shit. But You've been so kind to me over the years I feel I can't explain my appreciation for your existence enough.

It's why I don't engage your crazy views on politics, because we'd end up in some sort of clawing match. Ryan Adams & Noel Gallagher's The High Flying Birds  3742235224  j/k, I love reading your political beliefs, Bob. I practically always disagree with them, but you're an honest man. And I'd vote for someone I thought was honest but at I disagree with more than someone I don't think I could trust but says all the things that jive with me.

Love you, Bob. You're a great person to have in e-life. Thanks for letting me do a little venting. I've been told I should be doing it when I'm feeling down about this because it's suppose to be theurapetic or something. I dunno, it was some white guy that looked like those Up North©️ kinds of guys. You know the type.... wash their hands every time they come inside, makes people take their shoes off at their house... anyway, he makes a lot of money telling people how to get past problem's he's never had to personally deal with but some private university he paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to apparently tells him he's prepared to explain it to the rest of us and he's the expert.

thanks, man - yeah, I'm honest here - heck, what's the point in being dishonest, especially on some internet message board? Honesty, obviously, rubs some the wrong way at times (to the point of people demanding that I be banned) - Ryan Adams & Noel Gallagher's The High Flying Birds  502811600  - but if you allow people on a message board to live in your head rent-free, you have issues more significant than an idiot like me on a message board.

You're a good man - make wise, informed decisions, young man - and you'll do well  Wink
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-07-14, 09:08

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
xsanguine wrote:I guess the reason I mention my dad taking me to those shows in the late 80's and early 90's is because I was born in Feb of 1984. I was the 5-7 year old rocking out to Pearl Jam, or Dwight Yoakam, or Stone Tempe Pilot.... my dad was that guy. He didn't give a fuck what anyone thought. It was hilarious. It's affected me... I'll wear whatever the fuck and my wife will question me and I'll look at her like she's crazy...."You seriously think I give a fuck about the person that says "you're wearing that?"" I've got so many things I could say to them to leave them feeling like a moron. But that's all learned from my dad.

I love Dwight Yoakam - got just a hint of glitz to him but still remains true to the old country stuff. He actually opened some shows for Jason Isbell last year and someone asked him what it was like to being a former star who is now "relegated" to being an opener and he was like "you know, I get paid good money to play music.. there are people who work a lot harder than I do for a lot less and, for that, I'm thankful".

I love his attitude on life. He really has it all figured out, in my opinion. He writes what he wants to write... tours on his own schedule when he wants. And will never have to worry about anything because he'll always earn royalties from Out Of Time and the songs that have been used in film and commercials that still pay over the years.

He's a registered Libertarian, too. Which I respected. He has that "I've been smoking weed for a very long time" face to him. Kind of like Bill Carradine (RIP) or Willie Nelson.

Still has that look that if I were playing live I would emulate... minus the jean jacket and cowboy hat (I'm a city slicker). I usually went light colored jeans with or silver wife beater and hair slicked back. But that stance I brought back, I swear. I was asked all the time "Isn't it tired to stand like that for long periods of time?" My legs tend to move no matter what, even sitting supposedly still in a school desk there's an internet beat that's manifesting itself in subtle air drums (I was a great candidate for ritalian, ADHD, whatever... but glad my parents were hippie enough to admit genders are different).

Fuck it, I'm at that age that I could pull off a cowboy hat if I were in a younger rock band. The genres are so gentrified today it doesn't matter. There's not many "scenes" anymore than are genre specific. It's all inter genre mixed, etc. I like the situation better for the artist, but for the fans I don't like the new system. I like the access and club shows..... but I miss the rock start.... the myth, the legend and the reality.

There's no more rock stars left where if they died anyone would give a shit. Who could die right now where the world would stop, if momentarily?

No one, no one gives a shit. Music means shit in people's lives these days. It's cheap entertainment, it's certainly not viewed as art anymore. The only rock star lifestyles I can think of are Peter Doherty. And there'd be no headline for his eventual overdose because he's never been big enough in the social conscious. No one will be as big in the social conscisous as Kurt Cobain, or Eddie Vedder, or Billy Corgan, Thom Yorke or Layne Staley, or Scott Weiland... and even he did and I was actually surprised there was something about it.

Besides, almost all of those guys are clean anyways so they're just cashing checks at this point. There's no pain for them to be inspired from. They toy around with their $5k guitars in their $600k studios with $10k of rack effects until they find something cool and decide to make a song out of it.
They don't struggle and cry and punch holes in the wall and break up with rocky relationships or have to be revived by Narcan anymore. Rock n' roll has been gentrified entirely.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-07-14, 09:13

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

It's why I don't engage your crazy views on politics, because we'd end up in some sort of clawing match. Ryan Adams & Noel Gallagher's The High Flying Birds  3742235224  j/k, I love reading your political beliefs, Bob. I practically always disagree with them, but you're an honest man. And I'd vote for someone I thought was honest but at I disagree with more than someone I don't think I could trust but says all the things that jive with me.

thanks, man - yeah, I'm honest here - heck, what's the point in being dishonest, especially on some internet message board? Honesty, obviously, rubs some the wrong way at times (to the point of people demanding that I be banned) - Ryan Adams & Noel Gallagher's The High Flying Birds  502811600  - but if you allow people on a message board to live in your head rent-free, you have issues more significant than an idiot like me on a message board.

You're a good man - make wise, informed decisions, young man - and you'll do well  Wink

I have a problem with that (offending). Not in the long time... I can do without the time waste. But I do like the posters hers. I like all of them. I mean all of them. They all entertain me in some way. There's others that have demonstrated respect that I feel obligated respecting them back. Realistically even the ones I don't want to lose the ability to communicate with won't matter in a week... but some that I'd feel a bit hurt if they decided I'm not worth the trouble. But again... within a week I wouldn't even notice them.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-07-14, 09:17

Bob, I'll write the longest messages in the history of the Swill. Especially about music, and especially about my personal philosophies regarding the intricasies of music, it's purpose and why it's arranged as it is these days so if I'm wasting your time in any way... just feel free to stop replying. I truly do not get offended by that or anything else for that matter.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-07-14, 09:33

xsanguine wrote:Bob, I'll write the longest messages in the history of the Swill. Especially about music, and especially about my personal philosophies regarding the intricasies of music, it's purpose and why it's arranged as it is these days so if I'm wasting your time in any way... just feel free to stop replying. I truly do not get offended by that or anything else for that matter.

it's cool - though I do work from time to time - so my replies might not be overly extensive. Hence, the brevity associated with my short, yet significant replies of "bump" and "this".

I could talk music all day.. especially if it involves the drinking of beer. Ryan Adams & Noel Gallagher's The High Flying Birds  3493939353
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-07-14, 12:01

Oh hell yes.

You know you're the specific reason I've never mentioned my own name or that of my father who was involved in the media community. I have a suspicion someone would know him (probably you cause I bet you've bumped into each other at concerts) and I don't want to kill the mystery.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-07-14, 12:08

xsanguine wrote:Oh hell yes.

You know you're the specific reason I've never mentioned my own name or that of my father who was involved in the media community. I have a suspicion someone would know him (probably you cause I bet you've bumped into each other at concerts) and I don't want to kill the mystery.
Ryan Adams & Noel Gallagher's The High Flying Birds  3493939353

it's cool - I'm a pretty private sort of dude.. this place is weird enough at times without someone knowing who you really are.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-07-14, 12:23

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
xsanguine wrote:Oh hell yes.

Ryan Adams & Noel Gallagher's The High Flying Birds  3493939353
it's cool - I'm a pretty private sort of dude.. this place is weird enough at times without someone knowing who you really are.

Yeah, now I got a guy who wants me to pinpoint the location of where my parents passed to prove to him because he doesn't like that people are being nice to me.

I'm ignoring it for now because it will make me tilt. I'm usually a fan of this individual but it seems like a strange request.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-07-14, 12:27

xsanguine wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: Ryan Adams & Noel Gallagher's The High Flying Birds  3493939353

Yeah, now I got a guy who wants me to pinpoint the location of where my parents passed to prove to him because he doesn't like that people are being nice to me.

I'm ignoring it for now because it will make me tilt. I'm usually a fan of this individual but it seems like a strange request.
yeah, that's beyond strange. F**ckin' people sometimes. Rolling Eyes
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-07-28, 18:32

xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-07-29, 04:04

I can't believe he pulled off that Taylor Swift album covering. When I heard about that I thought he was back on the horse... but that it is professional songwriters who put her songs together. Luckily she doesn't use Beyonce's lyricists, though... jesus, awful.

Ryan Adams is about as it gets these days. Sometime I'll check out that Jason Isbell or whatever but I'm on a tear with Ryan and he's got quite a catalogue.... so I'll be obsessed for awhile.

xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down