Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Michigan State Parks Thread

+22
Floyd Robertson
aualum06
Senior Dickfist
CheesySpartan
CaptainSlow33
Jake from State Farm
Blanch32
GRR Spartan
Watch Out Pylon!
Triple Sparty
NigelUno
The Pantry
duffy munn
Herbie Green
Wally Fairway
Dendrobates
xsanguine
Other Teams Pursuing That
DWags
Robert J Sakimano
WhiteBoyHatcher
tGreenWay
26 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: The Michigan State Parks Thread

Post by Guest Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:15 pm

The Pantry wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

He'll be 4 working on 5. Old enough to use the toilet and usually mind Gramps.

My use of "up the Keweenaw" was referring to how far up the peninsula we go.
I might be turning around in Pelkie if things aren't going well.

I don't consider anything south of the bridge the Keweenaw though it technically begins at the bottom of the bay in Baraga. Got to take him at least as far as the lift bridge. Copper Harbor. Brockway Mountain Drive. Toni's Country Kitchen for pasty. The Gay Bar for Spam-N-Cheese sandwiches.

Camping or motels/hotels?

I'll probably heist son #2's duramax and p/u camper for the trip. When taking my kids out it was sleeping in the back of the 'Burb and a tent but I'm not up for that anymore.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: The Michigan State Parks Thread

Post by The Pantry Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:42 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
The Pantry wrote:I don't consider anything south of the bridge the Keweenaw though it technically begins at the bottom of the bay in Baraga. Got to take him at least as far as the lift bridge. Copper Harbor. Brockway Mountain Drive. Toni's Country Kitchen for pasty. The Gay Bar for Spam-N-Cheese sandwiches.

Camping or motels/hotels?

I'll probably heist son #2's duramax and p/u camper for the trip. When taking my kids out it was sleeping in the back of the 'Burb and a tent but I'm not up for that anymore.
Tent camped with my four kids a few times when they were all under 10. Was fun chaos. The pop-up eventually made camping so much easier.

Fort Wilkins SP?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:36 am

Mom and pops prevail.....the wood bundles are big business for some up here.

Firewood changes coming to Michigan state park campgrounds

Campers at Michigan state parks this year will likely see a trio of changes when it comes to the firewood bundles available for sale at the campgrounds.

Last year, there was grumbling among both the tent and RV crowds when Michigan Department of Natural Resources' leaders said they were working on new restrictions that might mean campers would have to buy their firewood in the park from an approved vendor, or bring in only wood that was certified as heat-treated for emerald ash borer.

Many in the state's large camping contingent were not happy at the possibility they might be told they couldn't bring firewood from home, or snag a few bundles from the mom-and-pop vendors that dot the roads leading to the parks.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:34 am

Please excuse me as we cover our National Parks - poor Bob with his lack of up north travel he might have seen one of these beauties.

Meet all 5 (yes, 5) of Michigan's National Parks

The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 5 681_00320592
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:54 am

LooseGoose wrote:Please excuse me as we cover our National Parks - poor Bob with his lack of up north travel he might have seen one of these beauties.

Meet all 5 (yes, 5) of Michigan's National Parks

The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 5 681_00320592
I was in North Carolina a couple of weeks back.. had some great pictures, not from state parks (though one was in a national park), but just from various mountain rivers, hikes, etc. Truly about 5-6 miles from my parent's house.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 04, 2018 9:06 am

Not all are State Parks but some are....

12 Michigan islands you should visit this summer

The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 5 E1d_01076342
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 13, 2018 4:16 pm

Thought I'd start adding some pics here since we're going to try to tour a few this summer:

Sunset at Burt Lake State Park last night.
The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 5 Burt_l10

Picnic area at 3 Lakes south of Strongs for lunch  
The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 5 Picnic10

Tahquamenon Falls State Park
The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 5 Tahqfa10

And another
The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 5 Tahqfa11
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Sun May 13, 2018 5:17 pm

Great pics, Goose The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 5 55953254
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun May 13, 2018 5:30 pm

Cool photos. Thanks for posting, Goose. BTW, is Tahquamenon also know as Root Beer Falls or is that a different spot?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 13, 2018 5:53 pm

tGreenWay wrote:Cool photos. Thanks for posting, Goose. BTW, is Tahquamenon also know as Root Beer Falls or is that a different spot?

Hell I'd never heard that but you're right.   I hadn't been there since I was a teenager or younger.   They're damned pretty.

Michigan's Tahquamenon State Park and "The Root Beer Falls"

The amber-colored Upper Tahquamenon Falls in Michigan's Upper Peninsula earned their nickname of "Root Beer Falls" for their resemblance to a cascade of root beer tumbling over a nearly 50-foot drop.

Interesting part of that story on how the BrewPub that Pantry asked about got there....

A popular stop for many park visitors, especially after scaling the steps to and from the falls, is Camp 33, a restaurant and brew pub near the trail to the Upper Falls.

Logging played an important part in the settlement of the area during the late 1800s, and restaurant founders Jack and Mimi Barrett established it to resemble a vintage logging camp. The couple purchased land next to Tahquamenon Falls in the late 1940s when you could only reach the falls by boat. Jack Barrett worked to get an access road to the falls and negotiated with the Michigan Department of Natural Resources to sell the land to Michigan, requiring that the state open it as a state park and retain most of its wilderness character.

The state accepted Barrett's terms and paid him $1 for his land, with the exception of a 2-acre plot that Camp 33 now occupies.

I'd say that has to be one of the best one-dollar investments ever made by the State of Michigan!

The Barrett family rebuilt Camp 33 in the 1990s, with Jack and Mimi's grandchildren establishing the Tahquamenon Falls Brewery and Restaurant in 1996.

From wiki:
Tahquamenon Falls is also called Rootbeer Falls because of its golden-brown color, caused by tannins from cedar swamps that drain into the river. In winter, the ice that accumulates around and in the falls is often colored in shades of green and blue.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 15, 2018 7:00 pm

More from Tahquamenon

Flooding closes part of Tahquamenon Falls State Park

The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 5 Tah-riverjpg-2c82cf687656c82c

PARADISE, MI - Staff at Tahquamenon Falls State Park have closed the popular River Trail temporarily after high water made the area impassable.

Spring runoff has led to high river levels and flooding along the 5-mile trail, which runs parallel to the Tahquamenon River between the Upper and Lower Falls.

"The spring flows have not subsided and there are several sections of trail which are underwater and have become quite hazardous," the Michigan Department of Natural Resources said about the closure.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue May 15, 2018 8:33 pm

The color of Tahquamenon is unique. Never been to another falls like it. Bob needs to put it in his bucket list of places to see if he ever goes Up North.

Looks like a helluva lot of water there now

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue May 15, 2018 8:41 pm

btw...I like how Paradise is now the base of news stories in the area. Use to be Newberry
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 20, 2018 7:51 am

Didn't know this....and yes it's a National Park but close enough.

Park Service to manage surge in Pictured Rocks visitors

Munising, Mich. – The National Park Service is seeking public input on how to manage a dramatic increase in visitors to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.

The lakeshore’s superintendent, Dave Horne, said the number of visitors has doubled over the last five years. Nearly 800,000 people visited the lakeshore during its peak seasons in 2017, according to a report from the National Park Service.

Visitors spent roughly $33 million in local gateway regions last year, the report found, but crowding and overuse can risk visitors’ safety and degrade the quality of the local shoreline, trails and roads.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Sun May 20, 2018 8:00 am

LooseGoose wrote:Didn't know this....and yes it's a National Park but close enough.

Park Service to manage surge in Pictured Rocks visitors

Munising, Mich. – The National Park Service is seeking public input on how to manage a dramatic increase in visitors to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.

The lakeshore’s superintendent, Dave Horne, said the number of visitors has doubled over the last five years. Nearly 800,000 people visited the lakeshore during its peak seasons in 2017, according to a report from the National Park Service.

Visitors spent roughly $33 million in local gateway regions last year, the report found, but crowding and overuse can risk visitors’ safety and degrade the quality of the local shoreline, trails and roads.

We have property there and have been dreading this. They paved a roughly 30 mile stretch that used to be gravel between buck hill (Beaver lake) and Grand Marais. We knew this would bring in tourism. It use to be so quiet and no people when we would hunt and fish the area. We also use to fush Beaver Lake alot and limit out on the walleye. They had a 9hp limit on the lake and it was perfect. Now the banned them and its electric only and a long haul from little beaver to big beaver and you need two batteries. they want the area to be for hikers and kayaks only. It really pissed us off. Plus they stopped stocking the lake as well. Fishing has steadily gone down hill ever since. So as a property owner we're not happy about this surge in visitors.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 21, 2018 7:26 am

Want to camp for Memorial Day? These state parks still have sites
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Mon May 21, 2018 5:40 pm

Stayed at Sleepy Hollow State Park over the weekend. Nice and quiet along with some behemoth campers. Didn't find morel number one.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon May 21, 2018 5:56 pm

Jake from State Farm wrote:Stayed at Sleepy Hollow State Park over the weekend. Nice and quiet along with some behemoth campers. Didn't find morel number one.

Stayed there a couple of times back in the 90s. I was actually surprised how pleasant it was.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 23, 2018 12:43 pm

7 reasons Hartwick Pines is a Michigan summer must-see

The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 5 519_ha10
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Tue May 29, 2018 6:26 pm

So can we take are own campfire wood this year?
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:47 am

Hey AU, getting ready today for another weekender trip. It made me think of this - if you;re looking for another place to camp that always has spots let me tip you off to kind of a hidden gem.

$15 a night with electricity, $10 w/o. Right on the AuSable. Spacious lots. Usually 1/2 full or less so lots of privacy and room. You can put a canoe or Kayak in at Parmalee and float to the park in 30 minutes or so. Or you can put in at the Park and float down to the Whirlpool or the Camp 10 bridge.

The Luzerne Park - https://www.google.com/maps/place/Luzerne+Park,+Luzerne,+MI+48636/@44.6747974,-84.2748725,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x88206283d34828ab:0xd53c238902b93754!8m2!3d44.6747403!4d-84.2729796

We're headed to a small lake near here for some fishing and swimming.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:45 am

LooseGoose wrote:Hey AU, getting ready today for another weekender trip. It made me think of this - if you;re looking for another place to camp that always has spots let me tip you off to kind of a hidden gem.

$15 a night with electricity, $10 w/o. Right on the AuSable. Spacious lots. Usually 1/2 full or less so lots of privacy and room. You can put a canoe or Kayak in at Parmalee and float to the park in 30 minutes or so. Or you can put in at the Park and float down to the Whirlpool or the Camp 10 bridge.

The Luzerne Park - https://www.google.com/maps/place/Luzerne+Park,+Luzerne,+MI+48636/@44.6747974,-84.2748725,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x88206283d34828ab:0xd53c238902b93754!8m2!3d44.6747403!4d-84.2729796

Do they have a website? I'll have to keep it in mind for next summer. Headed out next weekend for otsego.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:39 am

Electricity? The fuck?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:54 am

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Electricity? The fuck?
Meh I'm not sure camping without it would be as fun
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:36 pm

I prefer to camp with a towable camper. I love the ones that have air conditioning, heating, a satellite television, WiFi hotspot, full-size bathroom and shower, along with a full master bedroom and kitchen.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:55 pm

aualum06 wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Electricity? The fuck?

At what point is it not camping?

Edit: well wait, you’re already in a campground. So we are far past that point of it being not camping. Never mind.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:00 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
aualum06 wrote:

Edit: well wait, you’re already in a campground. So we are far past that point of it being not camping. Never mind.

Well considering I have a tent and a screen house you can just ignore the extension cord I have plugged in to run a small fridge
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:33 pm

aualum06 wrote:

Wait until you're a little older. In my late teens and early 20's I laid a sleeping bag on the ground next to my truck. Every 5 years or so you seek a bit more comfort.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:35 pm

aualum06 wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:Hey AU, getting ready today for another weekender trip. It made me think of this - if you;re looking for another place to camp that always has spots let me tip you off to kind of a hidden gem.

Do they have a website? I'll have to keep it in mind for next summer. Headed out next weekend for otsego.

It's on this site as Luzerne Campground. The "Luzerne Park" is in town.

http://www.bigcreektownship.com/
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:42 pm

LooseGoose wrote:

Wait until you're a little older. In my late teens and early 20's I laid a sleeping bag on the ground next to my truck. Every 5 years or so you seek a bit more comfort.

I’d imagine as i get older i want to get away from people more.. so no campgrounds, electricity, and fridges... lol wtf
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:55 pm

LooseGoose wrote:

I’d imagine as i get older i want to get away from people more.. so no campgrounds, electricity, and fridges... lol wtf

That's what Ted Kaczynski went through.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:46 pm

Thanks for ordering a week of rain Goose :-)The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 5 Img_2012
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:47 am

7 types of campers you'll find in Michigan campgrounds
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:00 pm

Apparently I cheated death this weekend... which is nice.

https://wwmt.com/news/local/grand-haven-state-park-closed-following-water-rescue-all-victims-out-of-water
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:29 pm

aualum06 wrote:Thanks for ordering a week of rain Goose :-)The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 5 Img_2012
WTF??? You had 3 extension cords running into that tent? What the hell needed that much power? The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 5 502811600
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:55 pm

The Pantry wrote:
aualum06 wrote:Thanks for ordering a week of rain Goose :-)The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 5 Img_2012
WTF??? You had 3 extension cords running into that tent? What the hell needed that much power? The Michigan State Parks Thread - Page 5 502811600

One main extension cord running in and then one running out to run the lights out front. Only thing plugged in the tent was the lights, a fan, and phone chargers. The orange one ran to the screen tent and the light one was the neighbors.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:12 pm

The only way I camp is the Tom Haverford way.

Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:37 pm

It's a National Park but close enough...

Michigan's Pictured Rocks considering campground fee increase across the board
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:34 pm

Want a sticker AU?

Book now to camp during the official May 12 birthday weekend

On May 12, 1919, the Michigan Legislature established the Michigan State Park Commission, paving the way for Michigan's state parks system. Fast forward to today and Michigan is home to 103 state parks, as well as the many campgrounds, boat launches, swimming beaches, fishing piers, trails and lighthouses found in those parks. The centennial is a nod to our rich history and an energizing look forward, and we're marking this milestone year with special events, podcasts, historical stories, videos, geocaching and lots more.

Campers and day-trippers, if you’re as excited as we are about this once-in-a-century celebration, why not camp with us around the May 12 anniversary date of Michigan state parks? Or pack a picnic lunch, grab your hiking shoes, bike or paddle and spend a day exploring.

The official 100-year anniversary will fall on the weekend of May 10-12, which means that the six-month window to make camping reservations for that weekend opens tomorrow. Plus, all camping parties will receive a complimentary commemorative bumper sticker upon arrival.

Pick your favorite park or one that’s new to you! Make camping reservations on the revamped reservation website at midnrreservations.com or call 800-447-2757.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:33 pm

LooseGoose wrote:Want a sticker AU?

Book now to camp during the official May 12 birthday weekend

On May 12, 1919, the Michigan Legislature established the Michigan State Park Commission, paving the way for Michigan's state parks system. Fast forward to today and Michigan is home to 103 state parks, as well as the many campgrounds, boat launches, swimming beaches, fishing piers, trails and lighthouses found in those parks. The centennial is a nod to our rich history and an energizing look forward, and we're marking this milestone year with special events, podcasts, historical stories, videos, geocaching and lots more.

Campers and day-trippers, if you’re as excited as we are about this once-in-a-century celebration, why not camp with us around the May 12 anniversary date of Michigan state parks? Or pack a picnic lunch, grab your hiking shoes, bike or paddle and spend a day exploring.

The official 100-year anniversary will fall on the weekend of May 10-12, which means that the six-month window to make camping reservations for that weekend opens tomorrow. Plus, all camping parties will receive a complimentary commemorative bumper sticker upon arrival.

Pick your favorite park or one that’s new to you! Make camping reservations on the revamped reservation website at midnrreservations.com or call 800-447-2757.

I'll just come stay with you that early in the spring.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next