Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial Swillers recommend a podcast thread

+13
Death Roe
InfantrySpartan
Cameron
Nordic
MiamiSpartan
Rocinante
GirbaudJeans
steveschneider
AvgMSUJoe
Travis of the Cosmos
Robert J Sakimano
Floyd Robertson
tGreenWay
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

tOfficial Swillers recommend a podcast thread Empty tOfficial Swillers recommend a podcast thread

Post by tGreenWay Thu 4 May - 16:21

What are you listening to right now? I'll take recommendations from all categories.

There was a short-lived thread last fall about podcasts, but that was homogenized into a general thread about books and books on tape, too. I want none of that nonsense ITT.
Here it is if you want a peek, but keep your commie pinko books on tape discussion outta my podcast thread:

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com/t12998-any-good-entertaining-podcasts-shit-an-audio-book?highlight=Podcasts
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

tOfficial Swillers recommend a podcast thread Empty Re: tOfficial Swillers recommend a podcast thread

Post by Floyd Robertson Fri 5 May - 8:13

OK, I doubt many will find these interesting, but my weekly regimen is pretty much this.

Defensive Security

Down the Security Rabbithole

Security Now with Steve Gibson

Windows Weekly

And sometimes this.

FBI Podcasts

Plus whatever else I stumble on during the week.

I have a hard time working without listening to something.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

tOfficial Swillers recommend a podcast thread Empty Re: tOfficial Swillers recommend a podcast thread

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 5 May - 8:20

not sure exactly how this works - and I only recently discovered what  "podcast" was - but I like listening to Marc Maron's interviews on YouTube. He's a pretty interesting guy and has some great guests.

heck, I don't know - might not even be a "podcast" - if not, disregard.

in fact, I'd suggest you disregard everything I post.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat 13 May - 16:25

Bump. Thanks for the responses. Floyd, you need to pop a comedy podcast into your routine. Good lord. tOfficial Swillers recommend a podcast thread 502811600

Anyhoo, Imma start S-Town this weekend, and Pod Save America soon. Both get great reviews from its listeners and seem like they'd be great listening material while walking the dog.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sat 13 May - 16:29

tGreenWay wrote:Bump. Thanks for the responses. Floyd, you need to pop a comedy podcast into your routine. Good lord. tOfficial Swillers recommend a podcast thread 502811600

Anyhoo, Imma start S-Town this weekend, and Pod Save America soon. Both get great reviews from its listeners and seem like they'd be great listening material while walking the dog.

I didn't want to get all political on you greenway, but Pod Save America is my fave fave. It's really super great.

Goose wouldn't like it.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Sat 13 May - 16:35

tGreenWay wrote:Bump. Thanks for the responses. Floyd, you need to pop a comedy podcast into your routine. Good lord.  tOfficial Swillers recommend a podcast thread 502811600

This place is my comedic relief.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat 13 May - 16:36

Thanks, Travis. What say you and I make a secret trip to Mio and surreptitiously slip headphones on Goose while he's sleeping, then let him soak in eight full hours of Pod Save America?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sat 13 May - 16:38

tGreenWay wrote:Thanks, Travis. What say you and I make a secret trip to Mio and surreptitiously slip headsphones on Goise while he's sleeping, then let him soak in eight full hours of Pod Save America?

Only if you want to see a guy wake up and scream fake news at the top of his lungs.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat 13 May - 16:38

Aim higher, Floyd.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat 13 May - 16:38

That would be kind of cool, Travis.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Sat 13 May - 16:44

tGreenWay wrote:That would be kind of cool, Travis.

It would be.

As for the pod, you'll definitely want to listen to the last week or two (there are two episodes a week.) Beyond that, it's pretty current topics and with the present insanity they'll be talking about stuff that feels a year old even though it's only been a month. The one that sticks out to go back to is from March called "the dogs who caught the car" which gave a pretty good breakdown of healthcare. I'm not sure why that one stuck out to me, but it's still relevant.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat 13 May - 16:47

Great. Maybe I'll start that one tonight. I envision my dog getting a lot more walks than usual this summer.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Wed 18 Sep - 9:59

Had a friend from Ohio tell me my berg was featured in a podcast, decided to give it a try... Pretty good so far. About Multi-Level Marketing and the rural poors in Mid-Michigan.

The Dream
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 18 Sep - 10:37

NYT The Daily
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GirbaudJeans Wed 18 Sep - 11:09

Science VS
Freakonomics Radio
Confronting OJ Simpson
Intelligence Debates
GirbaudJeans
GirbaudJeans
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Wed 18 Sep - 11:25

I listen to The Daily, Revisionist History, Teaching Hard History: American Slavery (first 5 or so episodes are amazing). Horns of the Dilemma, Pod Save the People, War on the Rocks, Radiolab, and a few others sporadically.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Wed 18 Sep - 11:42

Depends on your interests, of course.  I'm kind of a history geek, so in that vein, I'll say that Hardcore History is amazing, if you have any interest in history (mostly military history, with topics ranging from ancient Rome, to the Khans, to WWI, etc.).  There are also some good podcasts that just focus on specific areas of history (American Revolution, WWII, Roman Empire, pirates, etc.)  

There are a few science podcasts that I listen to (mostly in the physics/astronomy area) when I want to exercise my brain trying to understand the wild shit out there (Ask A Spaceman, Sean Carroll's Mindscape).

And of course, SpartanMag's v-casts and skull session podcasts are the best MSU content that you can get in podcast form, at least until a Swill Podcast is up and running (and the audio of the v-casts, as well as the skull sessions podcasts, are free on their podcast feed).

I've also heard good things about Crime In Sports from a couple of people, though I've never had a chance to listen.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Wed 18 Sep - 12:08

Rogan
Drew & Mike
Spartanmag VCast
Locked on Spartans - good post game analytical breakdowns
Cover 3
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Wed 18 Sep - 13:36

I listen to the Bill Simmons podcast when he has a guest/topic that interests me. Used to listen to them all, but I stopped keeping up a couple years ago.

I listen to a couple fantasy football podcasts. Mostly Matthew Berry's Fantasy Focus podcast, but occasionally I will also listen to the Dantasy podcast on the Ringer. Not sure either actually help me with my fantasy team, but I still enjoy them.

I've heard a couple episodes of the Skeptic's Guide to the Universe, and I enjoyed them and learned some cool stuff at the same time, but I'd be lying if I said I listened regularly.

There are a few others that I watch on youtube, but that are also available in audio only form, Rogan being the most prominent example. I like Rogan youtube clips because I rarely have the patience to listen to a 2-3 hour podcast in one sitting, so getting some 5-10 minute chunks is convenient. And some of his guests, I wouldn't want to listen to for that long. He had Dan Akroyd on recently, and I think they just talked about aliens for 3 hours. Dan Akroyd is cool, but I'll pass on that.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InfantrySpartan Wed 18 Sep - 19:56

I'm a fan of the Cover 3 podcast. The hosts work really well together, and they have enough content/variety to fill 2-3 podcasts a week. I enjoy their weekly "locks" competition picking against the spread, and their general coverage of CFB news/headlines. They also usually will have an interesting guest on once a week.
InfantrySpartan
InfantrySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Wed 18 Sep - 21:13

InfantrySpartan wrote:I'm a fan of the Cover 3 podcast. The hosts work really well together, and they have enough content/variety to fill 2-3 podcasts a week. I enjoy their weekly "locks" competition picking against the spread, and their general coverage of CFB news/headlines. They also usually will have an interesting guest on once a week.

Agree. I've only heard their weekly locks episodes, but I'll be coming back. The three personalities play off each other very well.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Wed 18 Sep - 22:49

Lights Camera Barstool.

Trill Ballins is a legend.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri 20 Sep - 13:17

Cameron wrote:I listen to the Bill Simmons podcast when he has a guest/topic that interests me. Used to listen to them all, but I stopped keeping up a couple years ago.

I listen to a couple fantasy football podcasts. Mostly Matthew Berry's Fantasy Focus podcast, but occasionally I will also listen to the Dantasy podcast on the Ringer. Not sure either actually help me with my fantasy team, but I still enjoy them.

I've heard a couple episodes of the Skeptic's Guide to the Universe, and I enjoyed them and learned some cool stuff at the same time, but I'd be lying if I said I listened regularly.

There are a few others that I watch on youtube, but that are also available in audio only form, Rogan being the most prominent example. I like Rogan youtube clips because I rarely have the patience to listen to a 2-3 hour podcast in one sitting, so getting some 5-10 minute chunks is convenient. And some of his guests, I wouldn't want to listen to for that long. He had Dan Akroyd on recently, and I think they just talked about aliens for 3 hours. Dan Akroyd is cool, but I'll pass on that.

I listened to the Akroyd pod. He's an interesting dude. He remembers everything, obv very well read and will talk your ear off. But he is full-on UFO guy and believes every story. I also listened to the quantum physics guy afterward ... I still just don't get it.

My fav JRE pods are when he has doctors or health nuts on. The latest David Sinclair (47 resting heart rate) one is pretty good. Much better than his first time on. He's an anti-aging researcher that experiments on himself. Educated, but a bit crazy. Good listen.

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cDovL2pvZXJvZ2FuZXhwLmpvZXJvZ2FuLmxpYnN5bnByby5jb20vcnNz&episode=MTcyYTY0NWUyYzRjNDVjNzg0NzIxNzNiZmU5ZDk0NGM
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Fri 20 Sep - 15:16

Nordic wrote:
Cameron wrote:I listen to the Bill Simmons podcast when he has a guest/topic that interests me. Used to listen to them all, but I stopped keeping up a couple years ago.

I listened to the Akroyd pod. He's an interesting dude. He remembers everything, obv very well read and will talk your ear off. But he is full-on UFO guy and believes every story. I also listened to the quantum physics guy afterward ... I still just don't get it.

My fav JRE pods are when he has doctors or health nuts on. The latest David Sinclair (47 resting heart rate) one is pretty good. Much better than his first time on. He's an anti-aging researcher that experiments on himself. Educated, but a bit crazy. Good listen.

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cDovL2pvZXJvZ2FuZXhwLmpvZXJvZ2FuLmxpYnN5bnByby5jb20vcnNz&episode=MTcyYTY0NWUyYzRjNDVjNzg0NzIxNzNiZmU5ZDk0NGM

I like the doctors/health nut JREs, but I think my favorite is when he has his comedian friends on and they just shoot the shit about whatever. Joey Diaz is always a riot.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Wed 20 Nov - 20:02

MiamiSpartan wrote:Depends on your interests, of course.  I'm kind of a history geek, so in that vein, I'll say that Hardcore History is amazing, if you have any interest in history (mostly military history, with topics ranging from ancient Rome, to the Khans, to WWI, etc.)...

Excellent recommendation. The WWI series is absolutely Shocked . I'm on e5 and despite being 3 hours long each, they fly by. Dan Carlin is a great storyteller.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed 20 Nov - 20:22

I don’t really read the LSJ, Freep or Det News anymore but I listened to Couch and The Rube today. Thought it was pretty good.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu 5 Dec - 15:26

Nordic wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:Depends on your interests, of course.  I'm kind of a history geek, so in that vein, I'll say that Hardcore History is amazing, if you have any interest in history (mostly military history, with topics ranging from ancient Rome, to the Khans, to WWI, etc.)...

Excellent recommendation. The WWI series is absolutely Shocked . I'm on e5 and despite being 3 hours long each, they fly by. Dan Carlin is a great storyteller.

I finished the last episode a few weeks ago. Absolutely amazing job of covering WWI. The whole thing is sureal and mind numbing. I knew the history book version and some of the absurd stats, but this really drives it home. Haven't been able to listen to anything serious since. Need to decompress. Highly recommend to listen to it.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason Thu 5 Dec - 15:48

I'm seeing Last Podcast on the Left live in Detroit tomorrow night.
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu 5 Dec - 15:50

Banks2Mason wrote:I'm seeing Last Podcast on the Left live in Detroit tomorrow night.

Just looked it up. Try not to die Shocked
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu 5 Dec - 16:07

When do you guys listen to them? At home I’d rather read, so if I am a sports show is on tv for background. On the road I like music. Is it the commute to work? I guess I could give up music for that. As long as they’re cool pod casts and not aggravating. That’s why I gave up 97.1.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu 5 Dec - 16:24

DWags wrote:When do you guys listen to them? At home I’d rather read, so if I am a sports show is on tv for background. On the road I like music. Is it the commute to work? I guess I could give up music for that. As long as they’re cool pod casts and not aggravating. That’s why I gave up 97.1.

I listen at work. I tried at the gym, but that was too distracting, and they're hard to sing to which amuses all the chicks.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 5 Dec - 16:41

I listen at work as well.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu 5 Dec - 16:45

DWags wrote:When do you guys listen to them?   At home I’d rather read, so if I am a sports show is on tv for background.  On the road I like music.  Is it the commute to work?   I guess I could give up music for that.  As long as they’re cool pod casts and not aggravating. That’s why I gave up 97.1.  

In the car mostly. Hook it through the Bluetooth or your cars app and it auto starts/stops when you get in and out. Great time killer.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu 5 Dec - 16:47

Walking the dogs. Or at work.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 5 Dec - 16:57

I'm not gonna be much help since I'm not entirely sure how to access a podcast.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 5 Dec - 17:11

Nordic wrote:
Banks2Mason wrote:I'm seeing Last Podcast on the Left live in Detroit tomorrow night.

Is that the podcast where if they string certain words together, all the listeners die?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Thu 5 Dec - 18:02

Nordic wrote:
Nordic wrote:

I finished the last episode a few weeks ago. Absolutely amazing job of covering WWI. The whole thing is sureal and mind numbing. I knew the history book version and some of the absurd stats, but this really drives it home. Haven't been able to listen to anything serious since. Need to decompress. Highly recommend to listen to it.
Listened to that series a year or two ago, it was amazing. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about history, but I feel like I knew almost nothing about WWI, it was mindbogglingly horrific. Carlin is great.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Banks2Mason Fri 6 Dec - 9:12

Nordic wrote:

because of the podcast or because it's in detroit?
Banks2Mason
Banks2Mason
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sat 7 Dec - 22:07

I.B. Fine wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Listened to that series a year or two ago, it was amazing. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about history, but I feel like I knew almost nothing about WWI, it was mindbogglingly horrific. Carlin is great.

Just saw a promo for "1917". Looks awesome.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Sat 7 Dec - 22:33

Nordic wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

Just saw a promo for "1917". Looks awesome.
Heard one review that couldn't have been more effusive with his praise. Looking forward to it.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next