The Supreme Court

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

The Supreme Court - Page 2 Empty Re: The Supreme Court

Post by Dendrobates on 2018-06-27, 17:01

I hate this country. The US is one giant turd.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2018-06-27, 17:23

Dendrobates wrote:I hate this country.  The US is one giant turd.

I know people that are actually leaving or have left. Have a friend in Amsterdam that loves it, another that went to Australia and I have a friend that is a prof that is leaving for Spain.

Also, I'm starting to buy into Ty's line of thought that an epic stock market crash is around the corner. I've read about the rising deficit, the impact of the tax cuts on the economy and the effects it will have on the next recession. Buckle up folks we are about to hit some turbulence!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove on 2018-06-27, 17:29

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Good luck getting anyone Trump nominates through. The Supreme Court - Page 2 502811600

Time to the Dems to take a page out of the McConnell playbook and turn it back on him.
That only works if you have the numbers. Dems don't and there s no filibuster thanks to Harry Reid. New Justice will be seated before the midterms
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2018-06-27, 18:21

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Time to the Dems to take a page out of the McConnell playbook and turn it back on him.
That only works if you have the numbers. Dems don't and there s no filibuster thanks to Harry Reid. New Justice will be seated before the midterms

Are you sure every republican is going to vote to confirm? McCain seems like he's on a fuck Trump farewell tour. Good luck.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates on 2018-06-27, 18:37

steveschneider wrote:

I know people that are actually leaving or have left. Have a friend in Amsterdam that loves it, another that went to Australia and I have a friend that is a prof that is leaving for Spain.

Also, I'm starting to buy into Ty's line of thought that an epic stock market crash is around the corner. I've read about the rising deficit, the impact of the tax cuts on the economy and the effects it will have on the next recession. Buckle up folks we are about to hit some turbulence!

We are certainly not opposed to moving. Hubby has a job open anytime in Australia. I keep checking for openings in my company. But there are less jobs with my company there because the population is a lot less.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan on 2018-06-27, 18:52

No one wanted to believe their votes would count anyway so too many sat the 2016 Presidential election out with a protest vote.

Kennedy retiring isn't a surprise and our only hope is the person Trump nominates is so bad the US Senate rejects and through some November miracle Democrats regain the Senate. The other possibility is alonger shot, Trump appoints the second coming of Earl Warren who gets sworn in and does a 180 on issues because Warren realized he'd never have to be re-confirmed.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove on 2018-06-27, 19:35

Joe Manchin has already fallen in line - Heitcamp and Donnelly are next.

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/status/1012087334374952967
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on 2018-06-27, 19:56

Yeah, it's not a disaster.  What it means is Congress has to take back it's authority to legislate from the courts.  Why do 9 appointed jackasses get to decide law (because both parties have complained for years about activist judges and they're right)?  We have 535 jackasses that we vote for who are supposed to write and pass law.  If they are written right, the courts have little influence.  And if their interpretation of a law is used consistently to hinder progress, well congress can abolish laws too.  I'm not worried.

Last edited by Rocinante on 2018-06-27, 20:06; edited 1 time in total
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2018-06-27, 20:01

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:

Are you sure every republican is going to vote to confirm? McCain seems like he's on a fuck Trump farewell tour. Good luck.
some of them talk a good game when the TV cameras are on. At the end of the day, they have as much contempt for American values as the racist, bigoted sexual predator himself.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove on 2018-06-27, 20:29

Rocinante wrote:Yeah, it's not a disaster.  What it means is Congress has to take back it's authority to legislate from the courts.  Why do 9 appointed jackasses get to decide law (because both parties have complained for years about activist judges and they're right)?  We have 535 jackasses that we vote for who are supposed to write and pass law.  If they are written right, the courts have little influence.  And if their interpretation of a law is used consistently to hinder progress, well congress can abolish laws too.  I'm not worried.

You know what? I agree with you.

The abdication by Congress of their Constitutional powers is a national tragedy. It started with Nixon and save the weak and ineffectual Presidents (Ford, Carter and GHW Bush) each successive President has gained in Imperial power. Congress is too interested in getting elected and then re-elected and doling out favors to their friends and patrons than actually you know writing laws.

Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2018-06-27, 22:04

Nixon appointed 4 judges. Ever bud eee relax.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno on 2018-06-28, 08:43

Settle down. It's still a nice place to be.
NigelUno
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2018-06-28, 08:52

steveschneider wrote:

Might have already started. Jesus fuck it's been ugly this week.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2018-06-28, 09:37

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I'd love a good stock market crash.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2018-06-28, 10:01

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Yeah, I'm still up big over the year but I'm a little down in some of my equities. With earnings coming up I'm optimistic some of them will get a bump but who knows.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser on 2018-06-28, 17:31

Dendrobates wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

We are certainly not opposed to moving. Hubby has a job open anytime in Australia. I keep checking for openings in my company. But there are less jobs with my company there because the population is a lot less.

I would leave in a second if I would if I could make comparable money elsewhere.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine on 2018-06-28, 18:12

Rocinante wrote:Yeah, it's not a disaster.  What it means is Congress has to take back it's authority to legislate from the courts.  Why do 9 appointed jackasses get to decide law (because both parties have complained for years about activist judges and they're right)?  We have 535 jackasses that we vote for who are supposed to write and pass law.  If they are written right, the courts have little influence.  And if their interpretation of a law is used consistently to hinder progress, well congress can abolish laws too.  I'm not worried.

Wow, you're a strict constructionist:
Wikipedia wrote:In the United States, strict constructionism refers to a particular legal philosophy of judicial interpretation that limits or restricts judicial interpretation. Strict construction requires a judge to apply the text only as it is written. Once the court has a clear meaning of the text, no further investigation is required.
You should be thrilled at the chance for Trump to appoint another like minded jurist.
...and you and Strangelove are correct about Congress being an all expenses paid social club
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on 2018-06-28, 19:36

I.B. Fine wrote:

Wow, you're a strict constructionist:
Wikipedia wrote:In the United States, strict constructionism refers to a particular legal philosophy of judicial interpretation that limits or restricts judicial interpretation. Strict construction requires a judge to apply the text only as it is written. Once the court has a clear meaning of the text, no further investigation is required.
You should be thrilled at the chance for Trump to appoint another like minded jurist.
...and you and Strangelove are correct about Congress being an all expenses paid social club

The problem with labeling me that way is that "clear meaning" is relative and I wouldn't agree with Antonin Scalia or probably any Trump appointee most of the time.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan on 2018-06-30, 08:51

Here are some fun facts about Justice Kennedy who will be retiring in July.

Justice Kennedy's son Justin is an executive at Deutsche Bank.

That's the same Deutche Bank that was fined $630M by the UK and US governments for laundering $10B that was sent to Russia.

The same Deutche Bank that Trump still owes $175M per his required financial statements

The same Deutche Bank that has millions invested in Kushner properties

From Think Progress:
"The business relationship between Justin Kennedy and Trump was previously noted by the Financial Times, which reported last year that “Justin Kennedy, a trader who arrived from Goldman to become one of Mr Trump’s most trusted associates over a 12-year spell at Deutsche, is the son of a Supreme Court justice.”

Move along folks, nothing to see here. Unless you want to follow the money
Deutche Bank-Laundering Russian money-Trump loans
Follow the money

Now we find that Justice Kennedy's son was a trusted Trump banker.

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-justin-anthony-kennedy-deutsche-bank-scotus-4ba95e7ce0be/

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jan/31/deutsche-bank-fined-630m-over-russia-money-laundering-claims
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2018-06-30, 09:11

The fact Republicans are looking to ram this through before the mid terms tells me that when they lose power, democrats should do nothing but marginalize that party. They don't deserve to be negotiated with, ever.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 2018-08-29, 11:40

As I've said many times before - this is one of if not the biggest reasons that Trump is President and maintains the support he gets.   For Conservatives the thought of where these courts would be under Hillary is a nightmare.   I understand that looking at a Conservative Judiciary is a nightmare for Liberals.   That means they have to win elections, not to win changes in the courts.  As a wise man once said - elections matter.

[tw]1034218269161545729[/tw]

Not mentioned is the deal just made to pass another dozen or so judges through the Senate.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2018-08-29, 11:40

LooseGoose wrote:As I've said many times before - this is one of if not the biggest reasons that Trump is President and maintains the support he gets.   For Conservatives the thought of where these courts would be under Hillary is a nightmare.   I understand that looking at a Conservative Judiciary is a nightmare for Liberals.   That means they have to win elections, not to win changes in the courts.  As a wise man once said - elections matter.

Not mentioned is the deal just made to pass another dozen or so judges through the Senate.
thanks for the mainstream media tweets.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy on 2018-08-29, 11:42

LooseGoose wrote:As I've said many times before - this is one of if not the biggest reasons that Trump is President and maintains the support he gets.   For Conservatives the thought of where these courts would be under Hillary is a nightmare.   I understand that looking at a Conservative Judiciary is a nightmare for Liberals.   That means they have to win elections, not to win changes in the courts.  As a wise man once said - elections matter.

I know, letting the gays get equal rights was a really dark day in America. Must have caused you a lot of grief.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2018-08-29, 11:44

msugolfguy wrote:

I know, letting the gays get equal rights was a really dark day in America. Must have caused you a lot of grief.
Goose loves the way the racist, bigoted sexual predator governs... almost as much as he loves his mainstream media links.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2018-08-29, 11:47

oh - and reminder that 81% of 'christians' voted for a racist, bigoted, misogynistic sexual predator..

The Supreme Court - Page 2 969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on 2018-08-29, 11:53

The last bastion of regressive systems is the courts. As the progressives take over the government, expect a lot of really shitty court decisions before they and their backwards values are also beaten into the ground. This is just the beginning of the fight. I'm looking for a one world socialist utopia.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy on 2018-08-29, 12:01

Rocinante wrote:The last bastion of regressive systems is the courts. As the progressives take over the government, expect a lot of really shitty court decisions before they and their backwards values are also beaten into the ground. This is just the beginning of the fight. I'm looking for a one world socialist utopia.

I'm not looking for that but I do believe that the constitution should bend a bit with the times. I think it's short sighted but others disagree and that's ok.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on 2018-08-29, 12:03

msugolfguy wrote:
Rocinante wrote:The last bastion of regressive systems is the courts. As the progressives take over the government, expect a lot of really shitty court decisions before they and their backwards values are also beaten into the ground. This is just the beginning of the fight. I'm looking for a one world socialist utopia.

I'm not looking for that but I do believe that the constitution should bend a bit with the times. I think it's short sighted but others disagree and that's ok.

I'm not either. I just want to live in Star Trek.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2018-08-29, 12:32

I'm just ready to Make America White Again.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2018-08-29, 12:47

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'm just ready to Make America White Again.

Gonna take a shit ton of sunscreen after this summer.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2018-08-29, 12:57

DWags wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:I'm just ready to Make America White Again.

Gonna take a shit ton of sunscreen after this summer.
The Supreme Court - Page 2 502811600

I have the ever-popular mark where my watch is.. otherwise, not much of a tan for me. I usually try to spend my time outside (working out, mowing, yard work, etc) early to beat the heat/sun.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 2018-08-29, 16:30

And Schumer allows 15 more District court judges through so they can go home for a week......HuffPost not happy.

Democrats Just Confirmed Lots Of Trump’s Judges So They Could Skip Town

The resistance wilts in August.

WASHINGTON ― Senate Democrats just gave a huge gift to President Donald Trump: They agreed to expedite votes on 15 of his nominees to lifetime federal court seats because they wanted to go home.

Trump has gotten 26 circuit court judges confirmed, more than any other president at this point in his term. Another way of putting it: 1 in 7 U.S. circuit court seats is now filled by a judge nominated by Trump.

I'll have to admit that this warms my heart....Fallon's tears are sweet.
“An entire branch of government is being lost for generations, and Senate Democrats are willfully blind to it,” Fallon said. “In the coming months and years, these same Democrats will issue outraged statements about the rulings issued by the very judges that they could not be bothered to try to slow down. It is pathetic.”
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2018-08-29, 16:45

LooseGoose wrote:And Schumer allows 15 more District court judges through so they can go home for a week......HuffPost not happy.

Democrats Just Confirmed Lots Of Trump’s Judges So They Could Skip Town

The resistance wilts in August.

WASHINGTON ― Senate Democrats just gave a huge gift to President Donald Trump: They agreed to expedite votes on 15 of his nominees to lifetime federal court seats because they wanted to go home.

Trump has gotten 26 circuit court judges confirmed, more than any other president at this point in his term. Another way of putting it: 1 in 7 U.S. circuit court seats is now filled by a judge nominated by Trump.

I'll have to admit that this warms my heart....Fallon's tears are sweet.
“An entire branch of government is being lost for generations, and Senate Democrats are willfully blind to it,” Fallon said. “In the coming months and years, these same Democrats will issue outraged statements about the rulings issued by the very judges that they could not be bothered to try to slow down. It is pathetic.”
thanks for the mainstream media link.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake on 2018-08-29, 16:46

How many kids you adopting Goose?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2018-08-29, 19:10

kingstonlake wrote:How many kids you adopting Goose?
The Supreme Court - Page 2 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy on 2018-08-29, 19:13

Brutal, lol.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake on 2018-08-29, 20:03

msugolfguy wrote:
Brutal, lol.

I guess in a broader sense it's directed at all pro-unborn but not born lifers. How many kids can we put you down for? Baker's dozen?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy on 2018-08-29, 20:05

kingstonlake wrote:
msugolfguy wrote:
Brutal, lol.

I guess in a broader sense it's directed at all pro-unborn but not born lifers. How many kids can we put you down for? Baker's dozen?

Free market will take care of all that. Some will live and those that die. Well that's on them.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake on 2018-08-29, 20:12

msugolfguy wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Free market will take care of all that. Some will live and those that die. Well that's on them.

I'm sure they'll come up with some "work for adoption housing" eligibility. Maybe they could store them in those cages for Mexican kids if their vacant?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy on 2018-08-29, 20:23

kingstonlake wrote:
msugolfguy wrote:

I'm sure they'll come up with some "work for adoption housing" eligibility. Maybe they could store them in those cages for Mexican kids if their vacant?

Hey we got to keep up with Chinese manufacturing. Someone has to work for pennies. It'll be like debtors prison. Congratulations you didn't win the genetic lottery here's a Koch brothers plant.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum