Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oprah in 2020

+7
Rocinante
WhiteBoyHatcher
Travis of the Cosmos
DWags
Floyd Robertson
Robert J Sakimano
steveschneider
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Oprah - Oprah in 2020 Empty Oprah in 2020

Post by steveschneider 2017-10-03, 08:27

Is she the best chance there is to beat Trump in 2020?

http://nypost.com/2017/09/27/democrats-best-hope-for-2020-oprah/

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Oprah - Oprah in 2020 Empty Re: Oprah in 2020

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-10-03, 08:31

can you imagine watching the sexual predator's head explode at the thought of being challenged by not only a woman.. but a black woman?

Oprah - Oprah in 2020 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-10-03, 08:38

This is shaping up to be a great 2020 cycle

Trump
Oprah
The Rock

Kid Rock
Stabenow
???

Edit: Senate is 2018, just a warmup for 2020.

It's pretty much everything we deserve.

Last edited by Floyd Robertson on 2017-10-03, 08:40; edited 1 time in total
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-10-03, 08:38

Robert J Sakimano wrote:can you imagine watching the sexual predator's head explode at the thought of being challenged by not only a woman.. but a black woman?

I agree with the columnist Trump can’t intimidate Oprah. I also agree she could create a big enough of a populist movement to drown out his. This is where American politics is heading.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-10-03, 08:44

steveschneider wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:can you imagine watching the sexual predator's head explode at the thought of being challenged by not only a woman.. but a black woman?

I agree with the columnist Trump can’t intimidate Oprah. I also agree she could create a big enough of a populist movement to drown out his. This is where American politics is heading.
well, she has a TV show.. so that means she's qualified.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-10-03, 08:52

Floyd Robertson wrote:This is shaping up to be a great 2020 cycle

Trump
Oprah
The Rock

Kid Rock
Stabenow
???

On your list I prefer Stabenow, I wish we could get back to trained politicians but the times have changed. Can’t picture an actual politician going against Trump in 2020 and winning.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-10-03, 09:09

Our country sucks. Matter of fact, it sucks so bad, next time I hear the anthem, I'm kneeling.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-10-03, 09:24

steveschneider wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:This is shaping up to be a great 2020 cycle

Trump
Oprah
The Rock

Kid Rock
Stabenow
???

On your list I prefer Stabenow, I wish we could get back to trained politicians but the times have changed. Can’t picture an actual politician going against Trump in 2020 and winning.
That's because it's still 2017. I think we had this conversation like 2 months ago and not much has changed.

I wish media types would settle down on 2020 but it is what it is. Then we talk about it even though it's silly.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-10-03, 09:25

Only if you're in a BWW ok Wags?

We can't pull an NFL Head Coaching hire here. You know what happens when they fire an NFL coach right? They find the most polar opposite guy on the market to replace him.

We need to transition to someone benign. Travis and 2 Pac were right, we (sadly) aren't and weren't ready for a black president. If we elect a black President, or a woman President next, sadly the outrage and wedge will get much, much bigger. and it's going to culminate in a Civil War of some sort.

I agree, our Country sucks and is full of really stupid, selfish people.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-10-03, 10:08

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Only if you're in a BWW ok Wags?

We can't pull an NFL Head Coaching hire here. You know what happens when they fire an NFL coach right? They find the most polar opposite guy on the market to replace him.

We need to transition to someone benign. Travis and 2 Pac were right, we (sadly) aren't and weren't ready for a black president. If we elect a black President, or a woman President next, sadly the outrage and wedge will get much, much bigger. and it's going to culminate in a Civil War of some sort.

I think Oprah is actually pretty benign, her audience covers all walks of life and as mentioned in that op-ed linked above she's great at finding common ground and speaking to all walks of life. She might be the perfect balm for this nations wounds.

The op-ed raises the million dollar question - does she want it? I'm going to guess no, but we may see her involved more in picking a candidate. Her endorsement of Obama in 2008 did wonders for him.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2017-10-03, 10:15

But steve, you have to understand that there is a decent contingent of folks in this country who do not give a shit about any of that, or anything she has to say. She could be all for calling NFL players sons of bitches, pro life, NRA, bible whatever and all they would care about was the pigmentation of her skin and that she has a vagina.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-10-03, 10:17

steveschneider wrote:

I think Oprah is actually pretty benign, her audience covers all walks of life and as mentioned in that op-ed linked above she's great at finding common ground and speaking to all walks of life. She might be the perfect balm for this nations wounds.

The op-ed raises the million dollar question - does she want it? I'm going to guess no, but we may see her involved more in picking a candidate. Her endorsement of Obama in 2008 did wonders for him.

I'm no expert on Oprah but she seems like a nice lady.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-10-03, 10:34

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:But steve, you have to understand that there is a decent contingent of folks in this country who do not give a shit about any of that, or anything she has to say. She could be all for calling NFL players sons of bitches, pro life, NRA, bible whatever and all they would care about was the pigmentation of her skin and that she has a vagina.

I hear you, WBH and for the most part I agree. I do think there's a strong case that Oprah could be an outlier to that argument. We don't watch her show, we don't follow her tv channel but she's a media powerhouse with broad appeal. I think white trash likes her and I think she can outpopulous Trump.

The best example of her incredible star power, she can actually get Americans to read books. Sit and think about that for a second, that's fucking incredible.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-10-03, 10:37

steveschneider wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:But steve, you have to understand that there is a decent contingent of folks in this country who do not give a shit about any of that, or anything she has to say. She could be all for calling NFL players sons of bitches, pro life, NRA, bible whatever and all they would care about was the pigmentation of her skin and that she has a vagina.

I hear you, WBH and for the most part I agree. I do think there's a strong case that Oprah could be an outlier to that argument. We don't watch her show, we don't follow her tv channel but she's a media powerhouse with broad appeal. I think white trash likes her and I think she can outpopulous Trump.

The best example of her incredible star power, she can actually get Americans to read books. Sit and think about that for a second, that's fucking incredible.
that is an impressive feat.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-10-03, 10:40

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

that is an impressive feat.

It really is.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-10-03, 11:17

yeah because celebrity politicians is working out so great now.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-10-03, 11:20

Rocinante wrote:yeah because celebrity politicians is working out so great now.
I ain't saying it's right, I'm just saying it's the country we live in.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-10-03, 11:27

It's the direction American politics is heading. Rallies matter, commanding media attention matters, being an outsider populist matters.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2017-10-03, 11:45

steveschneider wrote:

It's the direction American politics is heading. Rallies matter, commanding media attention matters,  being an outsider populist matters.
Too early for that declaration. Still too early. Call me in 2019.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-10-03, 12:12

Maybe this shouldn't be a surprise that we could have talk show host vs reality show host. It's often been said that movie and TV stars are kind of like America's version of royalty. Minus well let them lead like the Kings and Queens that many treat them as.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2017-10-03, 12:37

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

It's the direction American politics is heading. Rallies matter, commanding media attention matters,  being an outsider populist matters.

I agree anything can happen in 2020, but my declaration rallies, commanding media attention and being an outsider populist are happening right now. Trump proved this in 2016 and Kid Rock is proving it again in 2017. He's quieted down a little bit but he was generating a lot of buzz a few weeks ago and I've said from the onset we all know he can beat Stabenow.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-10-03, 12:41

steveschneider wrote:

I agree anything can happen in 2020, but my declaration rallies, commanding media attention and being an outsider populist are happening right now. Trump proved this in 2016 and Kid Rock is proving it again in 2017. He's quieted down a little bit but he was generating a lot of buzz a few weeks ago and I've said from the onset we all know he can beat Stabenow.
America is a stupid country.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-01-08, 08:11

Anyone watch the Golden Globes last night? I haven’t seen Oprah’s speech yet but she absolutely crushed it out of the park and has Oprah 2020 trending all over twitter. I’m convinced if she went for it she would take Donald Trump to school and whoop his ass in a landslide.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-01-08, 08:33

Has Oprah ever done anything in government before? This new* trend of voting for whoever is the most popular person regardless of their ability to govern is going (already has) fucked up this country. There really needs to be some sort of qualifying test or minimum prerequisite to run for president, senate, or shit even the house. These are big boy positions where if you fuck up it matters to everyone. I used to have an anarchist lean. Now, fuck I don't know... what do you call a person who wants it all to just stop. Set up some AI or something to run the country.

In short, fuck this shit.

* I know it's not new, but it is new to the highest office in the land.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-01-08, 08:47

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Has Oprah ever done anything in government before? This new* trend of voting for whoever is the most popular person regardless of their ability to govern is going (already has) fucked up this country. There really needs to be some sort of qualifying test or minimum prerequisite to run for president, senate, or shit even the house. These are big boy positions where if you fuck up it matters to everyone. I used to have an anarchist lean. Now, fuck I don't know... what do you call a person who wants it all to just stop. Set up some AI or something to run the country.

Trump changed the game, experience and qualifications have been thrown out the window. I will keep repeating it this is the world we live in now. Also, whoever runs in 2020 is going to come under investigation now. You guys realize that right? From Sanders, Yates, Harris, Biden, Gillibrand to Warren Trump will launch an investigation on any of them. I dare him to launch one on Oprah. That strategy will back fire.

An Oprah/Yates ticket would devour Trumpism in a landslide.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-01-08, 08:51

steveschneider wrote: I haven’t seen Oprah’s speech yet 
steveschneider wrote:  but she absolutely crushed it out of the park 

Heh.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-01-08, 08:51

steveschneider wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Has Oprah ever done anything in government before? This new* trend of voting for whoever is the most popular person regardless of their ability to govern is going (already has) fucked up this country. There really needs to be some sort of qualifying test or minimum prerequisite to run for president, senate, or shit even the house. These are big boy positions where if you fuck up it matters to everyone. I used to have an anarchist lean. Now, fuck I don't know... what do you call a person who wants it all to just stop. Set up some AI or something to run the country.

Trump changed the game, experience and qualifications have been thrown out the window. I will keep repeating it this is the world we live in now. Also, whoever runs in 2020 is going to come under investigation now. You guys realize that right? From Sanders, Yates, Harris, Biden, Gillibrand to Warren Trump will launch an investigation on any of them. I dare him to launch one on Oprah. That strategy will back fire.

After the last election this is a guess at best.

I'm gonna vote for Jake Johnson. He seems like a cool dude. Let's see what he can do.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-01-08, 08:56

Anyway having not watched a speech but lauding it aside, Steve’s entire premise is about “trump changed the game” meaning that a celebrity can win. I think he’ll end up finding that it’s literally the exact opposite. That after 3 years of trump being a celebrity president people will yearn for a boring old person who they don’t have to think about every other day and that a different celebrity is more hindered than helped by trump.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-01-08, 09:14

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Anyway having not watched a speech but lauding it aside, Steve’s entire premise is about “trump changed the game” meaning that a celebrity can win. I think he’ll end up finding that it’s literally the exact opposite. That after 3 years of trump being a celebrity president people will yearn for a boring old person who they don’t have to think about every other day and that a different celebrity is more hindered than helped by trump.

I just watched her speech. It was gracious, unifying and powerful.

Trumps undoing is self inflicted blunder after blunder and Oprah has an entire career showing she won’t send out insane tweets and is the exact opposite of his divisiveness. Not sure I’m buying the comparison of Oprah to Trump you two are making.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-01-08, 09:17

I did not see the speech. But if our only hope to beat tDonald is another celebrity with no government experience it might as well be Oprah. She seems a lot more level-headed and not so crazy. She probably won't go around reminding people how smart she is either (which is something only insecure, not so smart people would do).
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2018-01-08, 09:20

steveschneider wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Anyway having not watched a speech but lauding it aside, Steve’s entire premise is about “trump changed the game” meaning that a celebrity can win. I think he’ll end up finding that it’s literally the exact opposite. That after 3 years of trump being a celebrity president people will yearn for a boring old person who they don’t have to think about every other day and that a different celebrity is more hindered than helped by trump.

Trumps undoing is self inflicted blunder after blunder and Oprah has an entire career showing she won’t send out insane tweets and is the exact opposite of his divisiveness.  Not sure I’m buying the comparison of Oprah to Trump you two are making.
I’m not comparing Oprah to trump other than in the sense that they’re both famous. I’m pointing out that your “trump changed the game” logic is following a pattern that I think goes in the direction you want it to because you like oprah instead of what I think will be is the much more likely outcome- That people will be so burnt out on the idea of celeb prez they they’d sooner vote for someone that they’ve never heard of that can’t talk than another celebrity.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-01-08, 09:24

steveschneider wrote:

Trumps undoing is self inflicted blunder after blunder and Oprah has an entire career showing she won’t send out insane tweets and is the exact opposite of his divisiveness. Not sure I’m buying the comparison of Oprah to Trump you two are making.

They're both celebrities that have/had zero experience in government. It's not that hard to see is it? And sorry, I need more to get me excited than not sending out insane tweets. That's a pretty fucking low bar.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2018-01-08, 13:20

Some of those selfish people were seen entering a meeting with Trump at the Amway JW Marriot, avoiding cameras and shielding their faces to give him campaign funds in the closing days of the election.

We got the candidate and party they bought.

Few Republicans are Americans first any more.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-01-08, 13:25

steveschneider wrote:

Trumps undoing is self inflicted blunder after blunder and Oprah has an entire career showing she won’t send out insane tweets and is the exact opposite of his divisiveness.  Not sure I’m buying the comparison of Oprah to Trump you two are making.
I’m not comparing Oprah to trump other than in the sense that they’re both famous. I’m pointing out that your “trump changed the game” logic is following a pattern that I think goes in the direction you want it to because you like oprah instead of what I think will be is the much more likely outcome- That people will be so burnt out on the idea of celeb prez they they’d sooner vote for someone that they’ve never heard of that can’t talk than another celebrity.

just to be clear, Im just forecasting that Oprah could run and win in 2020. If it were up to me I’d like to see an experienced politician defeat Trump.

I think you are both underestimating what a powerhouse Oprah is and that we are in an era where this could very realistically happen.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-01-08, 14:05

steve get off the Oprah thing
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-01-08, 14:11

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:steve get off the Oprah thing

Trending all over twitter and CNN broke that two of her friends saying she’s considering. It’s a valid topic and in the appropriate forum.

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/950383328796004353
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2018-01-08, 14:12

steveschneider wrote:

just to be clear, Im just forecasting that Oprah could run and win in 2020. If it were up to me I’d like to see an experienced politician defeat Trump.

I think you are both underestimating what a powerhouse Oprah is and that we are in an era where this could very realistically happen.

If I was giving off a vibe where she couldn't win, that's not what I was going for. I was trying to convey that Oprah vs. Trump would not be a slam dunk for Oprah. (Jesus tapdancing Christ, I'm actually typing this out as a serious possibility)

Anyway, those people who were spreading misinformation to get Trump elected have not gone anywhere. People are not getting any smarter. They'll target the swing states again and I wouldn't be surprised if Trump won again. I don't think it's likely unless he starts actually starts doing something other than yelling about fake news, but I wouldn't be surprised.

What I'm trying to convey is that I'm sick of this new era of bringing in "outsiders" who know nothing about governing. Oprah seems to me like the opposite side of the know nothing coin with Trump being on the other side. The learning curve would be steep. I'd rather a candidate would have learned on the job at a much lower level than as the "leader of the free world". I put that in quotes because Trump has turned that into a question.

In short, give me a boring competent bureaucrat. Give me Mitt Romney.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-01-08, 14:14

Yeah, she's going to run.  So is that guy on commercials who wants to impeach Trump.   It's January 2018.   My god, we have 34 months of this now.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-01-08, 14:18

steveschneider wrote:

Just because one person did this (won with no governmental experience) doesn't mean that it's the new norm. And it most certainly doesn't mean that it should be the new norm.

Trump also doesn't mean that anyone without government experience is going to be a disaster. Trump is the disaster, because he's a piece of shit human being with an arrogance that someone without experience should never have. Honestly, I think his lack of government experience has little to do with why he sucks.

That doesn't mean that Oprah would be good, though. I honestly don't know if she would or not. If it was all about giving a good speech, Kirk Cousins should be President (that one is for you, Bob).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2018-01-08, 14:53

Oprah Winfrey is a billionaire Check
Oprah Winfrey has been on TV with her own show Check
Oprah Winfrey has had multiple careers including actor, TV producer, TV host

Based on 2016 results she's as qualified as the guy who won the Electoral College and became President.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next