Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A very timely issue of the Atlantic

5 posters

Go down

A very timely issue of the Atlantic  Empty A very timely issue of the Atlantic

Post by Rocinante Fri 28 Sep 2018 - 15:44

Warnings from Poland.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/10/poland-polarization/568324/?utm_source=fbb

You can even listen to an audio of the article. Worth it.

The author was also on Fresh Air
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/fresh-air/id214089682?mt=2&i=1000420598686
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

A very timely issue of the Atlantic  Empty Re: A very timely issue of the Atlantic

Post by Rocinante Sat 29 Sep 2018 - 11:13

Cameron, turtleneck, I’d be interested in your thoughts on this piece.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

A very timely issue of the Atlantic  Empty Re: A very timely issue of the Atlantic

Post by Cameron Mon 1 Oct 2018 - 14:29

Fantastic article. Definitely rings true. Not exactly comforting.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Mon 1 Oct 2018 - 14:44

Anne Applebaum is great. One of the better sane republicans that is opposed to and vocal against Trump.

Will give it a read.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Mon 1 Oct 2018 - 17:53

Poles are I'm a tough place if I were them I'd be developing nuclear weapons. They are caught between two historically agressive European powers and damn little of natural boundaries to help defend themselves. That's why they're cozying up to Trump and the USA. They tried with Obama but it didn't work as he was hell-bent on assuging the Russians and the EU.

Throw in Germany's demand for open borders and refugee resettlement and of course they are going to start gravitating to political parties that attempt to counter those demands.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Mon 1 Oct 2018 - 18:14

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Poles are I'm a tough place if I were them I'd be developing nuclear weapons. They are caught between two historically agressive European powers and damn little of natural boundaries to help defend themselves. That's why they're cozying up to Trump and the USA. They tried with Obama but it didn't work as he was hell-bent on assuging the Russians and the EU.

Throw in Germany's demand for open borders and refugee resettlement and of course they are going to start gravitating to political parties that attempt to counter those demands.

I'm curious: did you read the article, or are you just riffing?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Mon 1 Oct 2018 - 18:34

Yeah, I can't tell if you're saying that their unhinged, post-truth, loyalty over ability, racist, xenophobic government is bad or not.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Tue 2 Oct 2018 - 7:12

Started reading it but it was dragging. the blow out all night party as the launching point into the piece was a nice frame.

Look she and her husband are very pro EU. However the EU doesn't have Poland's best interests at heart. It's a tough place to be.

Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Tue 2 Oct 2018 - 10:55

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Started reading it but it was dragging. the blow out all night party as the launching point into the piece was a nice frame.

Look she and her husband are very pro EU. However the EU doesn't have Poland's best interests at heart. It's a tough place to be.

So you didn’t read it. She’s not sucking EU cock in the piece at all. It’s not about the EU. It’s about a disturbing trend in Polish politics that has echos in the US. If you would take the time to at least listen to her on Fresh Air, you’d see that. But it appears your mind is made up and the EU is somehow more dangerous than Orwellian despots.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Tue 2 Oct 2018 - 10:58

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Started reading it but it was dragging. the blow out all night party as the launching point into the piece was a nice frame.

I get my talking points from the comments section as well.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove Tue 2 Oct 2018 - 12:09

Rocinante wrote:

So you didn’t read it. She’s not sucking EU cock in the piece at all. It’s not about the EU. It’s about a disturbing trend in Polish politics that has echos in the US. If you would take the time to at least listen to her on Fresh Air, you’d see that. But it appears your mind is made up and the EU is somehow more dangerous than Orwellian despots.

I crapped out about halfway through. Didn't see a comments section.

Poland is a young country. They had about a 20 year stint after WW1 and now another 25 years. That's it for 225 years. They have to feel their way through this I don't see them going the full strongman route.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Tue 2 Oct 2018 - 13:13

Dr. Strangelove wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

I crapped out about halfway through. Didn't see a comments section.

Poland is a young country. They had about a 20 year stint after WW1 and now another 25 years. That's it for 225 years. They have to feel their way through this I don't see them going the full strongman route.

I think, other than a small portion of the press, they already have.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down