Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game of Thrones - Final Season

+23
tGreenWay
NWSpartan
Clarett's Folly
I.B. Fine
CORNER BLITZ
Death Roe
DWags
pulling69
Tim Wakefield
Turtleneck
kingstonlake
tTito
InTenSity
StylesGShmooth
Travis of the Cosmos
Nordic
AvgMSUJoe
WhiteBoyHatcher
MiamiSpartan
Floyd Robertson
Rocinante
Other Teams Pursuing That
Watch Out Pylon!
27 posters

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Go down

Game of Thrones - Final Season - Page 13 Empty Re: Game of Thrones - Final Season

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2019-05-23, 01:14

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

The need for exposition applies to all sorts of problems, including all of those things. The need to not rush things along and spend some time talking about shit in a, seemingly at the time but not really, boring way.

The cop out is “oh I didn’t care because he was fucking his aunt” but you didn’t care when you found out that he was fucking his aunt either. You probably should have felt something when either a) you found out a main character was fucking his main character aunt. Or b) when a main character killed his main character aunt. But you didn’t. At least not in the way that you felt other stories in previous seasons. This time it was just information. Why? Because their relationship amounted to boning on a boat and a frolic in front of dragons and finding out they were I guess dna related and that’s it. There was just no second of actual care. And the reason that there was no second of care was because their relationship was about 3 minutes of screentime, give or take a brooding glance. It needed a full season of them just kind of dicking around, like we had in the past that made people like the show in the first place, instead of just moving from battle to battle and assuming that we all were all into this love story too, but we weren’t.
Ahh, ok, so you're telling me that if they had spent a whole season, or two seasons, or 8 seasons, building their relationship, then I would have felt something for their relationship?  That I wouldn't have thought their relationship was fucked up because they're related?  That I would have felt sad when he killed her even though she was a brutal murderer of tens of thousands of people (or more), with tens of thousands of more likely to be in her path in the future?  Cool, thanks for your insight on my feelings.  I don't think I would have felt that their relationship was less fucked up, or at all sad that he killed her, no matter how much time they spent on it, but you know my feelings better than me.

That's not at all to say that it wouldn't have been better with more time spent on that, more episodes, more seasons.  Of course, it would.  But they didn't have more seasons and episodes.  It wasn't an option, so it seems kind of silly complaining about it.  But then, I also think it is silly to get worked up over a TV show (not necessarily saying you are, but a lot of people are unhealthily so).

I mean... maybe. Yeah. Maybe not you Miami, maybe you’re a special character who didnt buy into Jon and Ygritte either.... sure whatever who cares. But *most* people bought into this show during seasons 1-4 or so when they did spend time on this stuff. Then suddenly they ran out of books and didn’t spend time and people are upset. I dunno man I’m not exactly making a ground breaking discovery for the correlation here. And maybe you’re different. Maybe you just dug the Michael bay dragon fights. Fine. Whatever. But in the beginning the show was never about that.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Game of Thrones - Final Season - Page 13 Empty Re: Game of Thrones - Final Season

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-05-23, 10:50

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
Ahh, ok, so you're telling me that if they had spent a whole season, or two seasons, or 8 seasons, building their relationship, then I would have felt something for their relationship?  That I wouldn't have thought their relationship was fucked up because they're related?  That I would have felt sad when he killed her even though she was a brutal murderer of tens of thousands of people (or more), with tens of thousands of more likely to be in her path in the future?  Cool, thanks for your insight on my feelings.  I don't think I would have felt that their relationship was less fucked up, or at all sad that he killed her, no matter how much time they spent on it, but you know my feelings better than me.

That's not at all to say that it wouldn't have been better with more time spent on that, more episodes, more seasons.  Of course, it would.  But they didn't have more seasons and episodes.  It wasn't an option, so it seems kind of silly complaining about it.  But then, I also think it is silly to get worked up over a TV show (not necessarily saying you are, but a lot of people are unhealthily so).

I mean... maybe. Yeah. Maybe not you Miami, maybe you’re a special character who didnt buy into Jon and Ygritte either.... sure whatever who cares. But *most* people bought into this show during seasons 1-4 or so when they did spend time on this stuff. Then suddenly they ran out of books and didn’t spend time and people are upset. I dunno man I’m not exactly making a ground breaking discovery for the correlation here. And maybe you’re different. Maybe you just dug the Michael bay dragon fights. Fine. Whatever. But in the beginning the show was never about that.
Travis, you make more assumptions about what people think/feel than anyone I've ever seen. I'm not sure why you can't take someone's words at face value, and instead try to suggest what they really think, as if I'm trying to put on some false front for god knows what reason. I make a comment that I never would have felt for Jon and Dany's relationship no matter how much time they spent on it, and first, you try to tell me that that isn't how I would feel, and now you're trying to make these assumptions about my overall feelings on the show. I'm sorry that I didn't feel for the "great" love story between Jon and the wildling. Maybe the books build it up more. It sounds like it really struck emotional chords for you (and that's based on what you have actually said, not making assumptions based on your thoughts on some unrelated scene). That's fine. Maybe other non-book readers were really into their love story, and I'm just a heartless bastard. That's cool. It was fine, but I think I remember just feeling that it was always doomed because both were very loyal to their own side, so maybe that kept me from getting attached to their love story. You're the expert on my feelings, you tell me.

As for the show in general, of course it was better in the earlier seasons. I loved the way they developed the various characters and plot points over time. Some of my favorite parts have been when nothing was happening that really moved the plot along. That's where you got the intrigue and character development. Of course things were rushed in the last couple of seasons. Where did I ever say they weren't? Where did I ever say that the last two seasons were even anywhere near as good as the others? I have said that I like how the story has developed overall, and I don't really get worked up about little things like timelines. Sure, that rush of things make the seasons far less than they could have potentially been. But, oh well, it's just a TV show. I was still entertained, if not as enthralled as I was in earlier seasons. I'm sorry if that isn't enough disdain for you.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-05-23, 22:17

Nordic wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Nice post, Miami.

If we lived in GoT I would vote Miami king. He is the smartest person on the board.
Not when it comes to thrones. He’s a thrones sunshine blow er
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2019-05-23, 23:59

I think Keith Stone needs to come back and be our king.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-05-19, 15:35

[tw]1262826625877475328?s=20[/tw]
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-05-19, 16:16

Spoiler alert: The dragons win.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13