The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2020-04-05, 18:12

You undercooked it bro.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by The Pantry on 2020-04-05, 18:17

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Bone-in or boneless butt?

boneless from costco

Just my thoughts for next time. Bone-in has the built-in-done thermometer. Not sure why they sell them without.

Never wrapped a butt. If I was taking it somewhere would consider it. 160 is a very low temp to slow down the cook. For boneless, I'd let it go to 210 before taking it out to rest.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ on 2020-04-05, 18:29

The Pantry wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:

boneless from costco

Just my thoughts for next time. Bone-in has the built-in-done thermometer. Not sure why they sell them without.

Never wrapped a butt. If I was taking it somewhere would consider it. 160 is a very low temp to slow down the cook. For boneless, I'd let it go to 210 before taking it out to rest.

160 it stalled - left it there for a bit before wrapping/going up to 202

But, yeah that's what it appears WBH

CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2020-04-09, 15:04

Is Restaurant Depot open to the public? Never went there.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2020-04-09, 16:44

No, it's not. You need a restaurant/good related business tax ID to put on the membership application.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2020-04-09, 16:47

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:No, it's not. You need a restaurant/good related business tax ID to put on the membership application.
How do you get in? BBQ forum I'm on says they have opened to the public.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2020-04-09, 16:58

The Pantry wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:No, it's not. You need a restaurant/good related business tax ID to put on the membership application.
How do you get in? BBQ forum I'm on says they have opened to the public.

Possible that they have during this. I haven't been in a few months. I have a membership. A friend let me use his tax ID.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic on 2020-04-09, 20:33

Probably only my second ever pot roast (didn't get an after pic. Coulda used another 1-2hrs and didn't have any beef broth, but it was still delish. Also used just regular ole potatoes instead of gold or redskins. Cottage cheese on pototaes is amazing btw.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 20200421
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2020-04-10, 15:58

Took 2 weeks to get here.   The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 1469072363 and eggs tomorrow! :)

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 Spam110
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates on 2020-04-10, 16:14

Nordic wrote:Probably only my second ever pot roast (didn't get an after pic. Coulda used another 1-2hrs and didn't have any beef broth, but it was still delish. Also used just regular ole potatoes instead of gold or redskins. Cottage cheese on pototaes is amazing btw.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 20200421

I love cooking a pot roast in the crockpot. I always use regular potato’s too.

I usually use chicken broth (mostly because that’s what I usually have. I add carrots in the last 2.5 hours or so. I generally cook mine for 9 hours on low.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2020-04-12, 12:23

I have a small rack of beef plate ribs on the Primo.

I made eggs over medium, sausage and bacon on the Blackstone earlier.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict on 2020-04-12, 15:00

I am making the traditional corned beef and cabbage for Easter dinner. Before we went on lockdown (just before Saint Patrick's day) the only decent meat I could find was a bunch of really nice corned beef brisket flats, I froze a couple.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ on 2020-04-14, 16:13

Got a brisket to dry age today

Might get another one to smoke early May as a test run
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2020-04-19, 01:21

I gotta be honest, I much prefer pizza on the oven vs on the ceramic. There is just too much charcoal/smoke taste for my liking.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 20200410
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 20200411The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 20200410
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 20200411The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 20200410
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 20200411
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ on 2020-05-05, 14:29

CORNER BLITZ wrote:Got a brisket to dry age today

Might get another one to smoke early May as a test run

was able to get a brisket from Sams club today to cook sometime later this week for that test run....any tips/tricks?
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2020-05-05, 14:39

It will be a good learning experience. The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 502811600
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ on 2020-05-05, 14:50

tbh the only thing I care about is burnt ends - love them but no place around has them/they aren't good if they do
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2020-05-05, 15:51

Just make sure you cook it until it probes like warm butter in the thickest part of the flat. Don't freak out about temperatures. Most common mistake with brisket is people get paranoid because they're sitting at like 203 and think they need to pull it. It's dry, and they think they overcooked it when in fact it's dry because the fat in the flat has not broken down yet.

Also, learn to carve it properly. You'll have one chunk that is flat on top of point, and one cut that is just flat. Use the just flat portion for your burnt ends.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2020-05-05, 17:42

Brisket is overrated except for corned beef and pastrami.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ on 2020-05-05, 21:02

The Pantry wrote:Brisket is overrated except for corned beef and pastrami.

hard pass on corned beef
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2020-05-05, 21:21

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Brisket is overrated except for corned beef and pastrami.

hard pass on corned beef
You're the first person I've ever known to not like corned beef, except for vegetarians of course. But, you like pastrami?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ on 2020-05-05, 21:25

not a huge fan of either - just had more corned beef in life
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2020-05-05, 21:39

CB that's nonsense, a properly smoked brisket is nirvana. But you are going to fuck it up. Hence my first post. It probably takes a half dozen tries to nail a brisket, at minimum.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2020-05-05, 21:58

Is it blasephy to cook a brisket in a slow cooker? As I mentioned in the other thread, I've quite enjoyed ribs in the oven (not more than grilled/smoked, but still enjoyable), so I might just be a BBQ blasphemer.

I'd never done a brisket before in any form, but grabbed one at the store, looked up some slow cooker recipes, combined some things I liked from a few, and it was fucking amazing.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2020-05-05, 22:03

CORNER BLITZ wrote:not a huge fan of either - just had more corned beef in life
wow.  Love both of them.  When trying a new restaurant, a corned beef reuben is the first thing I order to use as a gauge of how well they may make other things.

There's a place nearby called House of Reuben.  There, I prefer just plain pastrami & swiss on grilled rye.  No mustard, horseradish, or thousand island necessary it is so good.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 Pastra10
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2020-05-05, 22:11

MiamiSpartan wrote:Is it blasephy to cook a brisket in a slow cooker? As I mentioned in the other thread, I've quite enjoyed ribs in the oven (not more than grilled/smoked, but still enjoyable), so I might just be a BBQ blasphemer.

I'd never done a brisket before in any form, but grabbed one at the store, looked up some slow cooker recipes, combined some things I liked from a few, and it was fucking amazing.
Have done corned beef flats in the slow cooker and they come out great. Never tried unbrined brisket.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ on 2020-05-05, 22:12

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:CB that's nonsense, a properly smoked brisket is nirvana. But you are going to fuck it up. Hence my first post. It probably takes a half dozen tries to nail a brisket, at minimum.

brisket maybe 3rd on my list of bbq - depending on mood probably back and forth with ribs

Loved this place back when I was in the general(ish) area
https://lazybonessmokehouse.net/carryout-menu

Go to order was 1lb of burnt ends and 1/2lb of pulled pork

Also aware that I'm going to fuck it up, but gotta start fucking up at some point
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2020-05-05, 22:27

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:CB that's nonsense, a properly smoked brisket is nirvana. But you are going to fuck it up. Hence my first post. It probably takes a half dozen tries to nail a brisket, at minimum.

brisket maybe 3rd on my list of bbq - depending on mood probably back and forth with ribs

Loved this place back when I was in the general(ish) area
https://lazybonessmokehouse.net/carryout-menu

Go to order was 1lb of burnt ends and 1/2lb of pulled pork

Also aware that I'm going to fuck it up, but gotta start fucking up at some point
Use to work 1/4 mile from that place. Was very good but never cared for the brisket, except for the brisket hamburgers.

Only really awful thing I tried there are the maple bacon paczkis they make on Fat Tuesday. Sounded good. Took one bite and threw it in the garbage.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2020-05-05, 22:34

MiamiSpartan wrote:Is it blasephy to cook a brisket in a slow cooker? As I mentioned in the other thread, I've quite enjoyed ribs in the oven (not more than grilled/smoked, but still enjoyable), so I might just be a BBQ blasphemer.

I mean you can do whatever you want, use the tools at your disposal. If you can make a meal out of it and it tastes good, more power to you. I might take exception if you called it BBQ. I mean I would, for sure. But it's not that big of a deal.

Good BBQ has a good bite to it. For many years folks in the Midwest have mistaken bland "falling off the bone" type of meat as BBQ. I believe that has changed in the past decade or so with speciality and craft shops popping up, but those LaZ Bones/Boneyard type of places don't serve real BBQ.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2020-05-05, 22:41

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

I mean you can do whatever you want, use the tools at your disposal. If you can make a meal out of it and it tastes good, more power to you. I might take exception if you called it BBQ. I mean I would, for sure. But it's not that big of a deal.

Good BBQ has a good bite to it. For many years folks in the Midwest have mistaken bland "falling off the bone" type of meat as BBQ. I believe that has changed in the past decade or so with speciality and craft shops popping up, but those LaZ Bones/Boneyard type of places don't serve real BBQ.
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 502811600 You've gone into super snob mode. Please tell us why Lazybones is not real BBQ. Can hardly wait to hear this The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 276803595
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2020-05-05, 23:19

I've never been there. I'm familiar with the name, and I assumed they are a similar BBQ joint to those that have been around in this area since the 80s. If they are different, I guess I jumped to conclusions. I would be surprised.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2020-05-05, 23:34

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

I wasn't calling the slow cooker brisket BBQ, just saying that I might be committing BBQ blasphemy to some people because I was cooking traditional BBQ meats indoors. My oven ribs had BBQ sauce on them, which makes them BBQ ribs.

I know, you're using the term BBQ as a method of cooking, and that's what it really is. But the sauce is also called BBQ.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ on 2020-05-06, 08:21

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I've never been there. I'm familiar with the name, and I assumed they are a similar BBQ joint to those that have been around in this area since the 80s. If they are different, I guess I jumped to conclusions. I would be surprised.

There's a chain with a similar name that sucks, the linked place isn't (or wasn't 5+years ago) that. It's probably been my favorite place in Michigan - know comparisons being the Lansing joints

They did expand and bought like an old Blockbuster or something by Macomb community college a while back, but that didn't last long
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2020-05-06, 23:37

I got my shrimp delivered yesterday so I went for the gumbo tonight. Quite an effort but it turned out very good. I had to make some small substitutions due to Covid - namely powdered garlic instead of minced and thyme in a jar vs. fresh. I used Alton Brown's recipe which calls for a roux made in the oven, which was different. But hey, it worked.

First, you make a roux....

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 49864584553_f0951c487c_c

Shrimp heads and shells/tails in water to make a broth.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 49864583923_906380d95f_c

An hour later, mix in the spices, onion, green peppers and celery and cook until onion is translucent

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 49864585008_3ff11cef7b_c

Add the shrimp broth and simmah for 35 minutes.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 49865124216_e4b860b368_c

Slice and brown the andouille

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 49864585428_b4c93f1df2_c

Add in the scrimps, the andouille and the file

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 49864586103_134e37b47e_c

Mix together, cover, heat off and steam for 10 minutes and serve over white rice.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 49865436067_0eb8359fd9_c

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 49864587198_f7c919f583_c

It was actually pretty fun, got kind of hectic there for a few minutes trying to juggle the roux, draining the broth, and browning the Andouille all at the same time.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm on 2020-05-07, 13:49

Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2020-05-09, 23:10

Here was today's experiment. Having fun cooking, wish I could get more/interesting stuff more easily. Maybe when my masks arrive on Monday.

I bought a sous vide stick maybe a year ago on a woot thing. I have used it once to reheat something. My parents sent me a package of steaks for Kansas City Steaks or some shit (not Omaha) for my birthday. My son loves nothing more than a good steak so I decided to make the 2 porterhouses today. Usual method is oven and reverse sear in cast iron over fire, but I decided to try the sous vide. Pictures suck because my phone was dying, but it's what I've got. Overall, I would do this again, but the steaks were too well done for me. I'd prefer just a touch more rare. I set the sous vide to 129. I listened to Kenji, Kenji is pretty good but I should have known better. You can see the bands, I don't want to see any bands. I want a crust and then just pink. I also would not use the Blackstone to sear again. I could only get it up to ~ 575 or so. They were very good and my kid devoured his, as did I, but live and learn.

I think I'm supposed to heat the water to temp before I put the steaks in. Lesson learned.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 49875709878_abcb389390_c

Out of the cryo and padded dry. These are probably 130 on the dot. Next time I'd set it to about 123.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 49876246721_5836269c5b_c

Seasons fresh ground black pepper and pink salt.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 49876247206_62ce558300_c

Surface temp of Blackstone.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 49876247931_f177ab530b_c

Hit em up with the weed burner. I did put a decent pat of butter beneath each before I threw them on.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 49876555992_6155b6ea0c_c

Decent sear, not spectacular.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 49876249836_8fb943e291_c

Cut against the grain, nice and pink, but too many bands.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 8 49875713613_3b9c2514f3_c
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic on 2020-05-09, 23:19

Looks perfect to me
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2020-05-09, 23:38

Do you have a flame thrower in your backyard?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2020-05-09, 23:45

No, I have had this weed burner for years to light my trailer. It works great on my Primo to light the lump charcoal, as well. It runs on one of those green propane camping bottles. It's essentially the same as a searzall which they sell for searing meat at a higher price point and isn't nearly as powerful. It's a fun toy if you grill with charcoal ever.

https://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-19425-JT850-Self-Igniting-Outdoor/dp/B00008ZA0F/ref=sr_1_7?crid=16HLEOIHIB48Z&dchild=1&keywords=bernzomatic+propane+torch&qid=1589082197&sprefix=benzomatic%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-7
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm on 2020-05-10, 07:39

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:No, I have had this weed burner for years to light my trailer. It works great on my Primo to light the lump charcoal, as well. It runs on one of those green propane camping bottles. It's essentially the same as a searzall which they sell for searing meat at a higher price point and isn't nearly as powerful. It's a fun toy if you grill with charcoal ever.

https://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-19425-JT850-Self-Igniting-Outdoor/dp/B00008ZA0F/ref=sr_1_7?crid=16HLEOIHIB48Z&dchild=1&keywords=bernzomatic+propane+torch&qid=1589082197&sprefix=benzomatic%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-7

That looks a little safer than the propane torch I use to light my fires. Melted the push button ignition last time I used it.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum