The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by MSU addict on 2020-05-10, 08:55

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:No, I have had this weed burner for years to light my trailer. It works great on my Primo to light the lump charcoal, as well. It runs on one of those green propane camping bottles. It's essentially the same as a searzall which they sell for searing meat at a higher price point and isn't nearly as powerful. It's a fun toy if you grill with charcoal ever.

https://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-19425-JT850-Self-Igniting-Outdoor/dp/B00008ZA0F/ref=sr_1_7?crid=16HLEOIHIB48Z&dchild=1&keywords=bernzomatic+propane+torch&qid=1589082197&sprefix=benzomatic%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-7

I have a searzall and trust me it is not even close to the same product.  It spreads the flame out over a much larger surface area and the screen gets glowing red hot.  The key with it is to make sure it gets that hot before starting to sear the meat (or fish - it puts a decent crust on salmon if you don't have a gas broiler).  It is not the end all be all of meat searing.  You will still get some grey area, but I could do better than your pictures.

Kenji (who is the man) has a video out there with the guy from myth busters about searing steaks, it is a decent watch.

FWIW, a searzall is only $75 and you can get a quality knock off for under $50. It is best used with the green propane bottles for balance issues.

I never thought about the weed thing for lighting lump in my kamado. I have tried a torch and like JSF said, it is a bit close and hot. I will have to pick one up.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by MSU addict on 2020-05-10, 09:28

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Here was today's experiment. Having fun cooking, wish I could get more/interesting stuff more easily. Maybe when my masks arrive on Monday.

I bought a sous vide stick maybe a year ago on a woot thing. I have used it once to reheat something. My parents sent me a package of steaks for Kansas City Steaks or some shit (not Omaha) for my birthday. My son loves nothing more than a good steak so I decided to make the 2 porterhouses today. Usual method is oven and reverse sear in cast iron over fire, but I decided to try the sous vide. Pictures suck because my phone was dying, but it's what I've got. Overall, I would do this again, but the steaks were too well done for me. I'd prefer just a touch more rare. I set the sous vide to 129. I listened to Kenji, Kenji is pretty good but I should have known better. You can see the bands, I don't want to see any bands. I want a crust and then just pink. I also would not use the Blackstone to sear again. I could only get it up to ~ 575 or so. They were very good and my kid devoured his, as did I, but live and learn.

I think I'm supposed to heat the water to temp before I put the steaks in. Lesson learned.

My father in law (knowing that I love to cook) bought me a sous vide cooker years ago - so I have a decent amount of experience with it.

Some thoughts:

Yes, heat the water before adding the meat and definitely don't go over a few hours on a steak (but go over 30 hours on a brisket)

When cooking with a sous vide, the temp has everything to do with texture of the meat and little to do with color.  Because the meat is cooked without access to oxygen, the pink color comes after you cut it and it is exposed to air, the "bloom" if you will.  If you are looking for more tender, go lower but "tender" has it's limits, most people prefer some chew.  I like my steak in the sous vide around 129 for strips, about 126 for tenderloin.  My BIL loves to cook a whole tenderloin via sous vide when he has people over.

Sous vide, is a great way to cook a steak consistently, but again it is not the end all be all of cooking steak.  It is a method that has advantages and disadvantages, and IMO, your oven and reverse sear does just as good of a job with a good cut of beef.  Sous vide, IMO does a much better job with cheaper cuts of steak they come out much better than other methods.

It may be blasphemy, but sous vide is a great way to cook tough cuts that require low and slow to break down connective tissue.  You can get outstanding and consistent results with ribs and brisket.  You can use the temperature to get the texture of the meat exactly how you want it, which is really not possible with BBQ.  I was thinking about that when CB was trying his first brisket.  You can nail a great brisket the first time with sous vide.  

Kenji again has some great stuff about duplicating BBQ with a sous vide, including the "smoke ring" if you want.  It is not BBQ, but it is damn good, you can get great results essentially every time.  And you can control the timing and plate with in a 5-15 minute time frame which is often not possible with BBQ.  I like to finish over coals with brisket and ribs (brisket at lower temp to get a decent crust).  Cooling the meat after the sous vide helps with this.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ on 2020-05-10, 11:47

I'll add in on SV to check the temp of your unit. I got my parents one for Christmas, which got me into wanting one but not wanting to buy two in a row essentially I went with an instapot that's got a sous vide function so I can also use it for other shit.

First steak I cooked was set to 129 for 2hrs and came out far more done that I would have liked. Should have done it to the first, but on the second I checked the temp of the water before putting the steak in and it was mid 130s. After some tinkering it's now constantly set to 124 and comes out perfect.

I cook steak for dinner almost every day (either sous vide or rev sear on the grill) and the thing I like about SV is not having to do anything basically. I tried a long cook throughout the day - back when going in to work was a thing - filled up cold water and frozen steak before I left and when I got home it was perfectly done. I've let the water heat up, not let it heat up, frozen/fresh/thawed, zip lock, food saver - it all works

The only other adjustment I've made is not peppering when I vacuum seal and instead cracking pepper after it's plated - my laziest version is pan searing and would just burn the pepper vs nice fresh taste when applying after sear
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2020-05-10, 12:50

The sous vide for brisket and ribs is interesting. Wouldn't it make more sense to smoke it first for a couple of hours to get some bark on it and smoke flavor and then finish in a bath?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ on 2020-05-10, 13:17

Guga did a few of those on youtube: went with a 3ish hour smoke for flavor + couple day bath double wrapped + sear with flame thrower to add the bark
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2020-05-10, 13:18

How did they turn out?

Fantastic video above on the searing methods addict. TL;DR - searing over direct flames on a chimney wins by a pubic hair.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict on 2020-05-10, 13:19

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:The sous vide for brisket and ribs is interesting. Wouldn't it make more sense to smoke it first for a couple of hours to get some bark on it and smoke flavor and then finish in a bath?
You would definitely get more smoke flavor as almost all of that is developed within the first hour on raw meat and some people do smoke before sous vide.  The problem is the bark is essentially non existent after the sous vide cooking.  If you want more smoke flavor most people would suggest using a quality liquid smoke.  Kenji again has a good read on his sous vide ribs about what liquid smoke is.

The Food Lab's Complete Guide to Sous Vide Barbecue Pork Ribs

Personally, I do not like liquid smoke and rarely use it.  My wife doesn't like much smoke flavor.  If I perfectly smoke something she will say it is too "smokey" so I usually go for light smoke anyway.  (Maybe I should get a new wife?)
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2020-05-10, 14:14

Ha, my girls don't even eat my bbq unless it's pulled pork. It's boys only.

I have mad respect for Kenji but I'm not going anywhere near liquid smoke.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2020-05-10, 15:02

Have tried liquid smoke in BBQ sauces, beans, and split pea soup.  Don't care for it.

Oddly, someone started a poll on the BBQ forum I'm at yesterday.  Surprising number that apparently like it.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 Liquid10
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates on 2020-05-10, 15:11

So... my husband made scrambled eggs for the first time ever today. It only took 15.5 years to get him to do it. They were pretty good! How can I make him cook more?
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2020-05-10, 15:15

Dendrobates wrote:So... my husband made scrambled eggs for the first time ever today. It only took 15.5 years to get him to do it. They were pretty good! How can I make him cook more?
Easy. Stop cooking Wink
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict on 2020-05-10, 15:33

Dendrobates wrote:So... my husband made scrambled eggs for the first time ever today. It only took 15.5 years to get him to do it. They were pretty good! How can I make him cook more?
I am half Italian and half French, so I was pretty much born to cook.  My mother (French) made sure that her sons knew how to cook and we still all do it today.  I probably cook 95% of the things in our household.

That said, you either like to do it or you don't.  But to answer the question, get him cooking manly stuff first - grill, then BBQ, maybe sous vide.  If he has success, he will likely branch out.  And also tell him that you like it, even if you don't.  Praise goes along way. Also, you can ask him to cook more and negotiate it like anything else.

Last edited by MSU addict on 2020-05-10, 15:35; edited 1 time in total
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict on 2020-05-10, 15:34

In regards to smoke, again, I am not much of a fan, but I do think the quality of the product matters tremendously.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates on 2020-05-10, 15:43

The Pantry wrote:
Easy.  Stop cooking  Wink

Yea, it's amazing how he just wont eat, or just snacks. I can do that for a day.

MSU addict wrote:
I am half Italian and half French, so I was pretty much born to cook.  My mother (French) made sure that her sons knew how to cook and we still all do it today.  I probably cook 95% of the things in our household.

That said, you either like to do it or you don't.  But to answer the question, get him cooking manly stuff first - grill, then BBQ, maybe sous vide.  If he has success, he will likely branch out.  And also tell him that you like it, even if you don't.  Praise goes along way.  Also, you can ask him to cook more and negotiate it like anything else.  

He has been grilling the past 2 years. Does it because he feels he has to. I don't think he likes it. I despise cooking. But I do it because I want to eat. The praise is never ending too! Especially, he did a good job with the eggs. I'm probably SOL, but I'm trying to think of ways to get him to do it more.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2020-05-10, 15:49

Since he did so well with the scramble, suggest he try making other egg dishes. Frittata is pretty fool-proof and is a good use of leftovers.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic on 2020-05-10, 18:33

I've made this black bean recipe (with the extra heat) twice and it has been great. The 3 cup version, shockingly it works.

https://www.wellplated.com/instant-pot-black-beans/

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2020-05-10, 22:14

Method X tonight. Worked out well.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 959f8710

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2020-05-10, 23:14

Can someone set up a Zoom can with Wags and Kenji please
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 on 2020-05-13, 18:52

Got done with my essential work early today and decided to treat myself to a midweek steak. My Safeway often mismarks their meat in the customers favor, last weeks buy was Australian choice Angus for less than $8 a pound.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 E16ab710
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 B45df610
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2020-05-13, 20:02

Very nicely done. But, two starches?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 on 2020-05-13, 20:30

Eh, would have been 3 if I cooked up some garlic bread. PS Only drank a glass and a half of wine. #Coravin for the win

PS Corn doesn't count as you get to see it the next day The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 2599972566
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ on 2020-05-16, 11:58

Fuckup #1

weather scared me away last weekend so cooking today. Pulled it out of the fridge and somehow part of it is frozen... Nothing else in the fridge even close to that temp. Did make trimming the fat easier though
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ on 2020-05-17, 01:17

Other than timing due to random freezing - did not fuck up the first half of the cook

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 20200510

Flat mostly sliced with some near the point getting chopped. Wrapped and attempting to save the point to turn into burnt ends tomorrow - we'll see how that experiment works

Cook mostly followed Harry Soo's youtube videos. On a webber kettle hovering around 300 for 6ish hours checking/spraying H20 every half hour after the first 1.5 hours. That got the brisket up around 175 degrees. I then wrapped the brisket in tin foil and had it in the oven @350 for ~2 hrs (one of Harry's constant quotes is "btus is btus"). Pulled and prodded for feel, then let sit for over an hour before cutting her up

Only change for the next will be less rub - although that one will be dry aged so probably a lot less
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2020-05-17, 04:48

nice
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ on 2020-05-19, 10:37

Bought my trial brisket just in the nick of time
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 Screen16
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2020-05-19, 10:57

Brisket looks pretty good, CB. I've been wanting to do one but probably not going to happen for a bit.

WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 on 2020-05-20, 16:42

aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2020-05-20, 19:28

aualum06 wrote:Trying my first lasagna

https://www.thekitchn.com/lasagna-recipe-simple-22956038
Should work but I disagree with not boiling the pasta first. Never tried it but imagine the end product coming out too dry. The pictures in the article look too dry. I prefer a saucy lasagna.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 on 2020-05-20, 19:48

The Pantry wrote:

Should work but I disagree with not boiling the pasta first. Never tried it but imagine the end product coming out too dry. The pictures in the article look too dry. I prefer a saucy lasagna.

Yeah I had my doubts on not cooking the pasta, pretty tough noodle.
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm on 2020-05-21, 07:59

I use cottage cheese instead of ricotta cheese, and no, I don't boil the noodles and it comes out great.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict on 2020-05-21, 09:18

Jake from State Farm wrote:

I use cottage cheese instead of ricotta cheese, and no, I don't boil the noodles and it comes out great.
Not trying to flame, but why?  To lower fat/calories, cheaper, a personal taste preference?  It does have a slightly higher moisture content, so it may work better without cooking the noodles.

Stepping on my soap box:  

The Italian half of me loves ricotta.  It has a slightly sweet taste and a flavor profile that I find very dissimilar to cottage cheese.  IMO it is one of the things that makes lasagna, lasagna.

I understand convenience and "saving time."  But generally every corner we cut makes a slightly inferior result.  If you want a truly great lasagna, I would say - make you own noodles.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm on 2020-05-21, 09:26

MSU addict wrote:
Jake from State Farm wrote:

Not trying to flame, but why?  To lower fat/calories, cheaper, a personal taste preference?  It does have a slightly higher moisture content, so it may work better without cooking the noodles.

Stepping on my soap box:  

The Italian half of me loves ricotta.  It has a slightly sweet taste and a flavor profile that I find very dissimilar to cottage cheese.  IMO it is one of the things that makes lasagna, lasagna.

I understand convenience and "saving time."  But generally every corner we cut makes a slightly inferior result.  If you want a truly great lasagna, I would say - make you own noodles.

I've tried it both ways and they both turn out good. I suppose it's just a personal preference to me. I do tend to go overboard on the mozarella cheese. On occasion I do make my own sauce for it, otherwise I just use something like Newman's spaghetti sauce (I know, blasphemy) but it's sometimes a matter of finding the time.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 on 2020-05-22, 17:26

I need a potato chip slicer

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 Img_2041
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ on 2020-05-22, 17:32

Jake from State Farm wrote: I do tend to go overboard on the mozarella cheese. 

impossible
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ on 2020-05-22, 17:33

aualum06 wrote:I need a potato chip slicer

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 Img_2041

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 1f44c  The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 1f44c 

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-1155700-V-Blade-Mandoline-Slicer/dp/B001THGPDO
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ on 2020-05-22, 18:17

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Brisket looks pretty good, CB. I've been wanting to do one but probably not going to happen for a bit.

Ultimate lazy/semi motivated food

The one day this week that it was nice I didn't think about my burnt ends till around 6pm so passed on it. Did them today after the initial cook sunday and.....came out better than I would have thought for rd 1+5 days - entire thing getting demolished right now

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 20200512
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 on 2020-05-22, 18:20

Chicken wings turned out good though
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan on 2020-05-22, 18:40

Grilling some steaks on the charcoal grill tonight.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm on 2020-05-22, 20:09

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Brisket looks pretty good, CB. I've been wanting to do one but probably not going to happen for a bit.

Ultimate lazy/semi motivated food

The one day this week that it was nice I didn't think about my burnt ends till around 6pm so passed on it. Did them today after the initial cook sunday and.....came out better than I would have thought for rd 1+5 days - entire thing getting demolished right now

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 9 20200512

Well that looks exceptionally yummie.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2020-05-23, 20:20

Short ribs in the crock pot tonight, over mashed potatoes. Mmmmmmmm.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum