Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by aualum06 on Sun 21 Jun 2020 - 16:25

12 hours on my first butt, turned out to be a pretty good lunch with homemade ice cream
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 Empty Re: The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got?

Post by Rocinante on Sun 21 Jun 2020 - 21:08

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 7328d310
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on Sun 21 Jun 2020 - 21:44

aualum06 wrote:12 hours on my first butt, turned out to be a pretty good lunch with homemade ice cream

That’s what she said.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on Sun 21 Jun 2020 - 21:47

Tuna and tots tonight. Eazy peazy.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on Sun 21 Jun 2020 - 21:48

Wife cooked me frogmore stew tonight.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 599d7610

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on Sun 21 Jun 2020 - 22:19

DWags wrote:Wife cooked me frogmore stew tonight.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 599d7610

Never heard of frogmore stew, but it looks like a mini version of a crawfish boil. Bet it tastes fantastic.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on Sat 27 Jun 2020 - 23:46

Ok. So I couldn't smoke a shoulder last weekend because the damn Shipt shopper that took our order got us pork steaks instead.

Anyway, about 4 hours into an estimated 16 hour session with an 8 pound shoulder. Assuming two hours per pound. We're at 149 degrees at the moment. Gonna suck checking temps over the next several hours. Hope it's worth it.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 20200611

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 20200613

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 20200612
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on Sun 28 Jun 2020 - 1:42

^^^ No way a pork shoulder/butt should ever take 16 hours. You're just farting around.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on Sun 28 Jun 2020 - 14:16

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 20200615

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 20200614

This turned out really well. The fat layer rendered down into the meat. Everything pulled apart with ease. I went with some apple wood for this adventure.

With my old school smoker I was up every damn hour during the night feeding it. Kept it right around 225 the entire time.

Skills: improving. Technique I followed in the link below.

https://heygrillhey.com/simple-smoked-pulled-pork/
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on Sun 28 Jun 2020 - 14:53

Nice job Pylon. You are doing God's work. I don't think there's anything wrong with temp spikes personally but are you able to keep it pretty steady messing with it every hour or so?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on Sun 28 Jun 2020 - 16:10

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Nice job Pylon. You are doing God's work. I don't think there's anything wrong with temp spikes personally but are you able to keep it pretty steady messing with it every hour or so?

More or less. I did go from 1 to 3 without checking and I had to restart the fire. That took a good 30 minutes plus to get going again. Other than that it was just tossing on a few more blocks to keep things chugging along.

Tons of coals left over. I just checked the firebox and it's still really hot.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on Sun 28 Jun 2020 - 17:30

Mrs. GreenWay just signed us up for Sitka Salmon Shares, which is a community supported fishery. Sounds like a good setup, and I love fresh seafood.

https://sitkasalmonshares.com/
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on Sun 28 Jun 2020 - 23:46

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Nice job Pylon. You are doing God's work. I don't think there's anything wrong with temp spikes personally but are you able to keep it pretty steady messing with it every hour or so?

More or less. I did go from 1 to 3 without checking and I had to restart the fire. That took a good 30 minutes plus to get going again. Other than that it was just tossing on a few more blocks to keep things chugging along.

I think it's pretty awesome. Like I said before, you will definitely learn to cook on that thing. Sounds like you are well on your way!

Just musing, it's not easy to find seasoned logs in my experience, there are splits you can buy online, but if you're tending the fire that often, it might be fun to just cook with logs and ditch the coals. I've done it a few times but I've admittedly gotten lazy. I have a box of post oak splits I am planning on using exclusively next time I procure a brisket. Just because.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine on Mon 29 Jun 2020 - 8:56

Made my first attempt at pulled pork over the weekend, a couple of shoulders on my old Weber gas grill.
Used cherry chunks and some whisky barrel chips and indirected it overnight. Took about 14 hours but it turned out OK, no complaints from the fam that was over..
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 Img_2012

Hatch, what's your target temperature for pork?i got to just about 200 and thought maybe it was a bit too long...
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on Mon 29 Jun 2020 - 9:44

I.B. Fine wrote:Made my first attempt at pulled pork over the weekend, a couple of shoulders on my old Weber gas grill.
Used cherry chunks and some whisky barrel chips and indirected it overnight. Took about 14 hours but it turned out OK, no complaints from the fam that was over..
The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 Img_2012

Hatch, what's your target temperature for pork?i got to just about 200 and thought maybe it was a bit too long...

What's up pulled pork brother? I pulled mine at 200 and it shredded very nicely. Tender throughout except for a bit around the bone that was a little over done. That little area of the bone that kinda folds over on itself.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on Mon 29 Jun 2020 - 9:47

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

I think it's pretty awesome. Like I said before, you will definitely learn to cook on that thing. Sounds like you are well on your way!

Just musing, it's not easy to find seasoned logs in my experience, there are splits you can buy online, but if you're tending the fire that often, it might be fun to just cook with logs and ditch the coals. I've done it a few times but I've admittedly gotten lazy. I have a box of post oak splits I am planning on using exclusively next time I procure a brisket. Just because.

I'm gonna look online for something a little cheaper than what my local grocery store is selling. I went through a lot of wood.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan on Mon 29 Jun 2020 - 10:01

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:I went through a lot of wood.

That’s what she said.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on Mon 29 Jun 2020 - 10:29

Motown Spartan wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:I went through a lot of wood.

That’s what she said.

Nice.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on Mon 29 Jun 2020 - 10:33

I.B. Fine wrote:Made my first attempt at pulled pork over the weekend, a couple of shoulders on my old Weber gas grill.

Try tugging it instead. You’ve got a lot of experience at that. The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 3434560931
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on Mon 29 Jun 2020 - 10:37

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

I'm gonna look online for something a little cheaper than what my local grocery store is selling. I went through a lot of wood.

Sincerely,
—Mrs. Pylon

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 2809484752
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on Mon 29 Jun 2020 - 11:05

tGreenWay wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Sincerely,
—Mrs. Pylon

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 2809484752

Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on Tue 30 Jun 2020 - 21:13

I did a weird thing but something I've been wanting to try. I like lasagna but loathe the texture and taste of ricotta. Coronolyfe has me experimenting so I figured why not. I used the Pioneer Woman's recipe but instead of cottage cheese/ricotta I grated a block of fresh parm and froze a bag of shredded parm and used that (her recipe calls for 3c of cottage and 1/2 cup of grated, I used about 1.5 cups of grated and 3/4 cup of the shredded stuff). Frankly it was outfuckingstanding. Best lasagna I've ever had. I guess if you like that vile ricotta shit or cottage cheese you could try the recipe with that. The hot sausage in addition to the ground beef was a champ.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 50063857577_c3890d527f_c

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 50063040113_6baa5c2d97_c
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

WhiteBoyHatcher likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on Wed 1 Jul 2020 - 12:07

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I did a weird thing but something I've been wanting to try. I like lasagna but loathe the texture and taste of ricotta. Coronolyfe has me experimenting so I figured why not. I used the Pioneer Woman's recipe but instead of cottage cheese/ricotta I grated a block of fresh parm and froze a bag of shredded parm and used that (her recipe calls for 3c of cottage and 1/2 cup of grated, I used about 1.5 cups of grated and 3/4 cup of the shredded stuff). Frankly it was outfuckingstanding. Best lasagna I've ever had. I guess if you like that vile ricotta shit or cottage cheese you could try the recipe with that. The hot sausage in addition to the ground beef was a champ.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 50063857577_c3890d527f_c

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 50063040113_6baa5c2d97_c

I've ricotta say, that looks damn tasty.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on Wed 1 Jul 2020 - 13:17

I'm with you on the disdain for ricotta, WBH. Maybe I'll try that like you did some time. Looks interesting.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh on Thu 2 Jul 2020 - 20:29

Got myself a Traeger Pro 575. The brisket I wanted to do was still frozen so I smoked these boneless skinless thighs... oh my fuck. Brined em, did a little BBQ rub on em, smoked em at 225 for about 50 minutes till the chicken was a little under 165 internal. Cranked it up to 510 degrees (I read reviews that said they can't get hot, it was rolling easy at 510) and then I put them on again to crisp them up in about 30 seconds. I don't know why I didn't buy one of these sooner.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 Img_3310

Juicy, smoky deliciousness

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 Img_3311
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on Sat 4 Jul 2020 - 23:56

Nice work Matty.

Some spares. I ran out of time to run the beef ribs so I did these. Probably the best ribs I've done in 3-4 years.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 50077039033_924074bac9_b
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh on Sat 4 Jul 2020 - 23:58

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Nice work Matty.

Some spares. I ran out of time to run the beef ribs so I did these. Probably the best ribs I've done in 3-4 years.

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 50077039033_924074bac9_b

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO look at the rings baby, look at the rings!
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MattyFresh on Tue 14 Jul 2020 - 5:22

18 hrs nd I am drunk

The Cooking Thread - Paleo - Baking - Grilling - Q - Sushi - Whatcha got? - Page 11 Asset11
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on Tue 14 Jul 2020 - 14:21

My Cuisinart nonstick skillets are dead.  Going to give carbon steel a try.  Care is like cast iron but they're lighter and seem like less of a pain in the ass.  If this test pan works out might buy other sizes.  

Lodge 12 Inch Seasoned Carbon Steel Skillet

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 on Tue 14 Jul 2020 - 17:56

The Pantry wrote:My Cuisinart nonstick skillets are dead.  Going to give carbon steel a try.  Care is like cast iron but they're lighter and seem like less of a pain in the ass.  If this test pan works out might buy other sizes.  

My Cuisinart nonstick died a few months back and I replaced it with this, much better pan with a much nicer handle as well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009HBKQR0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on Tue 14 Jul 2020 - 19:16

pulling69 wrote:
The Pantry wrote:My Cuisinart nonstick skillets are dead.  Going to give carbon steel a try.  Care is like cast iron but they're lighter and seem like less of a pain in the ass.  If this test pan works out might buy other sizes.  

My Cuisinart nonstick died a few months back and I replaced it with this, much better pan with a much nicer handle as well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009HBKQR0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Looked at that brand. Had good reviews but I don't want cookware made of aluminum.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 on Tue 14 Jul 2020 - 22:46

The Pantry wrote:
pulling69 wrote:

Looked at that brand. Had good reviews but I don't want cookware made of aluminum.

I hear you, next time I am going with either platinum, titanium, or maybe carbon fiber.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict on Wed 15 Jul 2020 - 9:34

pulling69 wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Looked at that brand. Had good reviews but I don't want cookware made of aluminum.

I hear you, next time I am going with either platinum, titanium, or maybe carbon fiber.
None of those will work with my induction cooktop. Next time I am looking at a nice set of cobalt pans, maybe nickel.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 on Wed 15 Jul 2020 - 11:51

MSU addict wrote:
pulling69 wrote:

None of those will work with my induction cooktop. Next time I am looking at a nice set of cobalt pans, maybe nickel.

Plutonium or Uranium should do the trick.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm on Wed 15 Jul 2020 - 12:35

pulling69 wrote:
MSU addict wrote:None of those will work with my induction cooktop. Next time I am looking at a nice set of cobalt pans, maybe nickel.

Plutonium or Uranium should do the trick.

Cooking with no added heat. Genius!!!
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 on Thu 16 Jul 2020 - 0:53

Skirt steak, give your tips. Picked one up because my local Safeway had no steaks on sale and I can make 2 meals worth of food out of it. Thinking about tacos and/or fajitas this weekend. I have never cooked one of these things.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on Thu 16 Jul 2020 - 8:51

I love skirt steak. Churrasco is a staple down here.

If you're going to make steak tacos/fajitas, I'd probably grill it. You can also pan sear it, but they're so long, they won't fit well in the pan (that's what she said). But you could probably cut them into strips first and then cook them in the pan if you don't want to grill. They're also great on the grill if you're going to just have them as regular steaks, not tacos.

My Chilean MIL's way is in the oven in a baking pan at 400 for about 20 min I think (you may want less, my MIL likes to cook things well done) and then broil both sides about 5 min to brown it. She usually just seasons it with some salt and chopped or minced garlic. Delicious.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe on Thu 16 Jul 2020 - 9:32

Grill High 7 min each side... let sit, slice against the grain.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on Thu 16 Jul 2020 - 17:09

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Grill High 7 min each side... let sit, slice against the grain.
Skirt steak is delicious.  One of my favorite cuts but not easy to find in grocery stores around here for some reason.  Fairly thin cut of meat.  On a hot grill (lump charcoal, direct heat) I do them no longer than 4 minutes on one side and 3 on the other.   Might be different on a gas grill if that's what you use.

Alton Brown's method takes even less time on (in) the fire.

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on Thu 16 Jul 2020 - 17:40

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum