Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

9/11 anniversary

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

9/11 anniversary Empty 9/11 anniversary

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2019-09-11, 08:17

I always try to take time to watch some of this documentary on this day. 18 years ago now. Still feels like it happened pretty recently to me.

Last edited by Watch Out Pylon! on 2019-09-11, 15:05; edited 1 time in total
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

9/11 anniversary Empty Re: 9/11 anniversary

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2019-09-11, 08:24

good documentary.

as I recall, that is the only footage of the first plane hitting? I could be wrong.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2019-09-11, 08:27

I watched Bush’s bullhorn speech and the first pitch at the World Series the other night on YouTube. I was working in Midtown when it happened. Saw the towers burning and had to walk home. I remember when they said the Pentagon got hit I thought we were going to see the missiles launch. At that point the question was what’s next the White House or the Capital? Also, remember you couldn’t get a call in or out so you knew everyone was worried and you didn’t know what the hell was going on. It was fucked up but the city was great. Everyone walking together home, helping each other out...it brought the best out of that city.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2019-09-11, 08:30

Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2019-09-11, 08:42

The one brother and all of the firefighters in the division they were filming were ridiculously lucky to have survived. When you get to the part after the first tower falls I'm just screaming in my head to get out.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2019-09-11, 09:00

The Falling Man

9/11 anniversary 9-1568163169

Do you remember this photograph? In the United States, people have taken pains to banish it from the record of September 11, 2001. The story behind it, though, and the search for the man pictured in it, are our most intimate connection to the horror of that day.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2019-09-11, 10:28

I woke up late for a class that day. Monday's were dart nights at Peanut Barrell. I was a little hungover. I fell asleep on the couch with the TV on. I was kind of watching when the first plane hit the building. I thought I had left the TV on HBO and it was some movie. Then I changed the channel and it was on another channel. I think I stayed home the rest of the day. I remember either later that day or the next day people were getting worried that a place in Lansing would be attacked, because it was one of the only places in the US that had a cure for Anthrax, or had Anthrax. I also figured nothing would really be the same. I was cynical and thought we would start losing freedoms, while fighting for freedom, after that.
I think even 2 weeks later, there were hardly any planes in the skies, that was the weirdest part.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2019-09-11, 10:40

InTenSity wrote:I woke up late for a class that day. Monday's were dart nights at Peanut Barrell. I was a little hungover. I fell asleep on the couch with the TV on. I was kind of watching when the first plane hit the building. I thought I had left the TV on HBO and it was some movie. Then I changed the channel and it was on another channel. I think I stayed home the rest of the day. I remember either later that day or the next day people were getting worried that a place in Lansing would be attacked, because it was one of the only places in the US that had a cure for Anthrax, or had Anthrax. I also figured nothing would really be the same. I was cynical and thought we would start losing freedoms, while fighting for freedom, after that.
I think even 2 weeks later, there were hardly any planes in the skies, that was the weirdest part.

I remember the concerns about the anthrax vaccine buildings. That facility also happens to be basically right across the street from the Lansing airport.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe on 2019-09-11, 10:44

I remember being torn up, but trying to be tough through all the coverage... then like 4 days later Tim Staudt had Dickie V on the radio because he knew someone in the WT center or something... and Dickie V just melted down. You could tell he was bawling... That put me over the edge and I had to pull the car over.

Still won't watch the documentaries.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2019-09-11, 11:16

I never really knew anything about the dogs of 9/11.

[tw]1171634962908553217[/tw]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2019-09-11, 11:20

I was working with a guy that flew in from Pittsburgh the day before when everything went down. He eventually had to rent a car and drive back since all planes were grounded. Someone stopped by and said that both towers got hit by jets. Not much info to be had in the moment so I was assuming it was something like the Blue Angels in formation hit both towers at the same moment. Then we heard that the Pentagon got hit. That's when it became obvious that some terrorist shit was going down.

We tuned into the radio not long before the 1st tower fell. Very little work happened for the rest of the day. We went to lunch and by then the news channels had video of the 2nd plane going into one of the towers. It shook me like I've never been before. The restaurant was dead silent the whole time we ate. Just a very ominous feel to everything that happened for the rest of the day.

I remember after work I took a nap on my couch and awoke to a lawnmower, thinking it was a jet coming at me. That was it for my afternoon nap. What a fucked up day. Hopefully my kid won't ever go through anything like it.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2019-09-11, 12:42

This is one of my favorite clips from that time. The country needs to get back to this.

https://youtu.be/2u5OOjZup28
steveschneider
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2019-09-11, 12:58

steveschneider wrote:This is one of my favorite clips from that time. The country needs to get back to this.

agree - but it's gone for ever dude.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2019-09-11, 13:15

My wife called me that morning to tell me a plane ran into one of the towers. Ok, must have been some plane trouble (we were just assuming a private plane at that point). Few minutes later she called me to say that another plane hit the other tower. That's no coincidence.

I remember being heavily on tRCMB that day, as this all started to unfold. Someone in the office had a little 4-5 inch B&W TV, and a lot of us huddled around that, as we saw the towers fall.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron on 2019-09-11, 13:43

I was in eighth grade band class when the first plane hit. We were playing when the announcement came on the PA, so none of us heard about it until the next class. I got excited when I walked into my next class and saw the TV out, then I saw what was on it. I think all we did in every class for the rest of the day was watch the news.

Thinking back, I wonder what it must have been like to be a teacher and have to answer a bunch of kids' questions about it. I'm sure they were all at just as much of a loss for words as any of their students.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2019-09-11, 14:28

A friend lost his aunt. She was on AA 77. Coincidentally, her plane crashed into the Pentagon, which is where my BiL was working that morning.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm on 2019-09-11, 14:40

Funny how almost 20 years later not a word has been breathed by the people that rigged the towers to implode.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser on 2019-09-11, 14:44

Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser on 2019-09-11, 14:45

On 9/11, Luck Meant Everything

When the terrorist attacks happened, trivial decisions spared people’s lives—or sealed their fate.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2019-09-11, 14:49

tGreenWay wrote:A friend lost his aunt. She was on AA 77. Coincidentally, her plane crashed into the Pentagon, which is where my BiL was working that morning.

Yeah, I had a co-worker that lost a sibling on one of those flights. Just awful. One of the nicest people you could ever meet.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2019-09-11, 16:10

Floyd Robertson wrote:The Falling Man

9/11 anniversary 9-1568163169

Do you remember this photograph? In the United States, people have taken pains to banish it from the record of September 11, 2001. The story behind it, though, and the search for the man pictured in it, are our most intimate connection to the horror of that day.

This reminds me of all the video and photographs that were too gruesome to publish. There was one of just a hand and forearm laying on concrete, and jagged—not a clean cut. It was so random, because there was no body from which it became unattached. I stopped looking after that. I’ve seen enough bodies from my time in reporting. I realized I was just satisfying a morbid curiosity, but I quickly remembered how violent death really can be.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine on 2019-09-11, 16:18

When watching TV that day and realizing the things falling off the towers before they fell were people jumping.....still can't comprehend.

It's actually quite a credit to all those heroes on the scene that the toll was not much higher.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry on 2019-09-11, 18:37

Was in my office talking with our company prez when our bookkeeper came in and said she heard a plane hit one of the towers. Figured it was a small plane accident. Little while later one of the shop guys came in and said the other tower was just hit. Tried to get online but it was jammed. No TVs at work so most of us hung out in the shop listening to events on the radio. Wasn't until getting home later that afternoon that the visual horror was available to me. All our kids had watched much of it live at school until being let go early.

Had a somber dinner then talked with our kids, trying to answer questions they had. Did our best to reassure them everything would be okay and got them to bed. Went outside and looked at the clear sky with the wife. No plane lights. Oddly, you could hear planes up there. Obviously military jets out of Selfridge ANGB.

_______

3rd day going to the new workplace this morning so tried a different route to hit a Dunkin Donuts for coffee. Instantly regretted turning south on Van Dyke off 18 Mile because traffic was backed up. Took about 10 minutes to go less than a mile to get to DD. Left DD and continued south to 17 Mile. Wasn't until getting to the corner that I realized why traffic was so bad. Sterling Heights Fire Department has a location there and was holding a 9/11 ceremony. Hundreds of people in uniform.

Felt like an ass for all the cursing I'd done the previous 10 minutes.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on 2019-09-12, 03:31

After all the reading I’ve done about the events leading to the attack, I’m nothing but angry about the failures of our government that lead to the attack being successful. And it’s funny (in a sardonic way) to me that someone mentioned worrying that we would lose freedoms because of the attack because in my opinion the Patriot Act is one of the worst pieces of legislation ever passed. We did lose freedoms that day. And I don’t know how we ever get them back. Our intelligence agencies failed and we were pushed into a meaningless war that never ends because of it. God bless the people that lost loved ones thy day, but I’ll be god damned if I’m ever going to just salute the goddamn flag on 9/11. There is still a debt owed to the American people by our government for what happened and what followed. /rant.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2019-09-12, 05:35

Rocinante wrote:After all the reading I’ve done about the events leading to the attack, I’m nothing but angry about the failures of our government that lead to the attack being successful. And it’s funny (in a sardonic way) to me that someone mentioned worrying that we would lose freedoms because of the attack because in my opinion the Patriot Act is one of the worst pieces of legislation ever passed. We did lose freedoms that day. And I don’t know how we ever get them back. Our intelligence agencies failed and we were pushed into a meaningless war that never ends because of it. God bless the people that lost loved ones thy day, but I’ll be god damned if I’m ever going to just salute the goddamn flag on 9/11. There is still a debt owed to the American people by our government for what happened and what followed. /rant.
yep.

You'll see no manufactured patriotism from people who understand the abject failures of our government.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2019-09-12, 05:58

Kind of crazy the Mets wore commemorative cleats yesterday, they score 9 runs on 11 hits.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 on 2019-09-12, 06:49

Rocinante wrote:After all the reading I’ve done about the events leading to the attack, I’m nothing but angry about the failures of our government that lead to the attack being successful. And it’s funny (in a sardonic way) to me that someone mentioned worrying that we would lose freedoms because of the attack because in my opinion the Patriot Act is one of the worst pieces of legislation ever passed. We did lose freedoms that day. And I don’t know how we ever get them back. Our intelligence agencies failed and we were pushed into a meaningless war that never ends because of it. God bless the people that lost loved ones thy day, but I’ll be god damned if I’m ever going to just salute the goddamn flag on 9/11. There is still a debt owed to the American people by our government for what happened and what followed. /rant.

The government didn't stop it because they were behind it
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2019-09-12, 06:54

DWags wrote:Kind of crazy the Mets wore commemorative cleats yesterday, they score 9 runs on 11 hits.

Wow
steveschneider
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2019-09-12, 07:47

DWags wrote:Kind of crazy the Mets wore commemorative cleats yesterday, they score 9 runs on 11 hits.
yowza. Shocked
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2019-09-12, 07:53

There was just something about baseball coming back that meant so much after that tragedy. It’s just a game, how can we even play a game or watch a game after that tragedy? But it’s so interwoven into our way of life of course it had to go on. That Harry Kalas broadcast I posted above gives me goose bumps everytime. It captures that feeling I had when I tuned into Letterman’s first monologue and other shows that were trying resume normalcy. That George W Bush first pitch fires me up everytime I see it. That whole World Series was epic. I’ll never forget the light rain in Arizona of all places. And when it was apparent the Yankees were going to lose and after that hit on Mariano. Seeing that box score to the Mets game just adds to it.

Last edited by steveschneider on 2019-09-12, 08:09; edited 1 time in total
steveschneider
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2019-09-12, 08:03

steveschneider wrote:There was just something about baseball coming back that meant so much after that tragedy. It’s just a game, how can we even play a game or watch a game after that tragedy? But it’s so interwoven into our way of life of course it had to go on. That Harry Kalas broadcast I posted above gives me goose bumps everytime. It captures that feeling I had when I tuned into Letterman’s first monologue and other shows that were trying resume normalcy. That George W Bush first pitch fires me up everytime I see it. That whole World Series was epic. I’ll never forget the light rain in Arizona of all places when it was apparent the Yankees were going to lose and that hit on Mariano. Seeing that box score to the Mets game just adds to it.

Game 6. Sideline passes to the smoker to Duckett epic game. First civilian in the pile of bodies in the end zone walking to the Riv watching a beat down of the Yankees 15-2. Great day in sports memory for me.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy on 2019-09-12, 08:13

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
steveschneider wrote:This is one of my favorite clips from that time. The country needs to get back to this.

Yup, when I got people posting memes to my Facebook page that I forgot about 9/11 because one of my best friends from state is Muslim. Yeah it's gone. Now mind you this is a guy who took a week off of work to help my family out while my dad went through chemotherapy. Literally washed clothes and made dinners because he respects my dad for the way he treats people.

Then I'm sitting here seeing people who used to be my friends post that garbage at me. Sorry, we're lost dude and my buddy isn't the problem.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2019-09-12, 08:16

One more video before I pack all this stuff away until next year. I have never seen this one before and it is amazing. You think this is after the 2nd tower falls and then about halfway through the guy just walks right up to the other tower mere minutes before it collapses. Dude is crazy lucky to be alive.

I distinctly remember after the 1st tower fell whoever was talking on the radio at the time said it's only a matter of time before the other tower fell. It's so sad that this info didn't get to the firefighters in this video. They must not have been in communication with the command post either because in that French documentary they all got the hell out of there after the 1st tower went.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2019-09-12, 08:42

msugolfguy wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Yup, when I got people posting memes to my Facebook page that I forgot about 9/11 because one of my best friends from state is Muslim. Yeah it's gone. Now mind you this is a guy who took a week off of work to help my family out while my dad went through chemotherapy. Literally washed clothes and made dinners because he respects my dad for the way he treats people.

Then I'm sitting here seeing people who used to be my friends post that garbage at me. Sorry, we're lost dude and my buddy isn't the problem.

Wow. I’m still shocked at what depths some people can get to. That sucks.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2019-09-12, 08:46

msugolfguy wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

yep - Al Qaeda and Bin Laden won.. just via unintended consequences that they weren't even aware of.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2019-09-12, 08:50

that said, Springsteen, et al. opening up the "America - A Tribute To Heroes" fundraiser with "My City of Ruins" was pretty epic.

the "come on, rise up" refrain is pretty awe-inspiring.. lots of chills with this one.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn on 2019-09-12, 09:19

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

One more video before I pack all this stuff away until next year. I have never seen this one before and it is amazing. You think this is after the 2nd tower falls and then about halfway through the guy just walks right up to the other tower mere minutes before it collapses. Dude is crazy lucky to be alive.

I distinctly remember after the 1st tower fell whoever was talking on the radio at the time said it's only a matter of time before the other tower fell. It's so sad that this info didn't get to the firefighters in this video. They must not have been in communication with the command post either because in that French documentary they all got the hell out of there after the 1st tower went.

The guy at the 17:50 mark when approached to answer some questions.

"I'd rather not. I'm having a bad day."

I hated to laugh but I did.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2019-09-12, 09:20

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Absolutely heartbreaking.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn on 2019-09-12, 09:20

aualum06 wrote:

Please tell me you don't really believe this.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That on 2019-09-12, 09:46

aualum06 wrote:

9/11 anniversary 502811600
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next