Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread

Page 17 of 18 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down

tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread

Post by tGreenWay on 2020-07-20, 18:42

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
tGreenWay wrote: The creator, Miranda, is nothing less than a fucking genius.

So When my now 19 year old was little, Lin Manual Miranda was on sesame street selling Big Bird a new house. You could tell by that little thing that the dude had something.

WAIT: Found a youtube.... Of course this is only a third of it cause HBO now owns and limits distribution so it's not widely available in the internets.

Dang, that’s impressive. When I was a kid, the big scene was The Count guiding us all the way up to 6.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: tOfficial General Movies and TV Shows Discussion/Criticism Thread

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That on 2020-07-23, 10:32

I could really use some good movies to watch. Any come to mind, swill?
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2020-07-23, 11:30

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I could really use some good movies to watch. Any come to mind, swill?
Ip Man 4 is on Netflix, I haven't seen it, but I liked the first 3. If you haven't seen them, watch it from the beginning.
Harriett is on HBO, I'm going to try to watch it, if the kids don't keep interrupting.
Honey Boy was...interesting, but probably more of having something on in the background that you keep wondering what happened.
There is about to be a huge movie drought though.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That on 2020-07-23, 11:35

InTenSity wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I could really use some good movies to watch. Any come to mind, swill?
Ip Man 4 is on Netflix, I haven't seen it, but I liked the first 3. If you haven't seen them, watch it from the beginning.
Harriett is on HBO, I'm going to try to watch it, if the kids don't keep interrupting.
Honey Boy was...interesting, but probably more of having something on in the background that you keep wondering what happened.
There is about to be a huge movie drought though.

thanks for those..

Actually watched most of Honey Boy last night, had to sleep with like 20 minutes left in it. It was worth watching, nothing groundbreaking.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That on 2020-07-26, 23:42

I've seen some Trailer Park boys before but have binged it quite a bit in order this weekend. Very solid.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron on 2020-07-27, 01:57

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I've seen some Trailer Park boys before but have binged it quite a bit in order this weekend. Very solid.
I love Trailer Park Boys deeply, seen every episode/special/movie they've made (I've seen seasons 1-7 at least 10 times) and subscribe to Swearnet. The show definitely gets worse over the years. The animated series is not very good. It's fucking great at its best, though.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That on 2020-07-27, 01:57

Cameron wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I've seen some Trailer Park boys before but have binged it quite a bit in order this weekend. Very solid.
I love Trailer Park Boys deeply, seen every episode/special/movie they've made (I've seen seasons 1-7 at least 10 times) and subscribe to Swearnet. The show definitely gets worse over the years. The animated series is not very good. It's fucking great at its best, though.

When should I stop? I'd rather not walk away with a bad taste in my mouth. (game of thrones)
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron on 2020-07-27, 02:21

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Cameron wrote:

When should I stop? I'd rather not walk away with a bad taste in my mouth. (game of thrones)
How far in have you gone? I would say to avoid the animated series for sure. Seasons 1-7 are the original run of the series. The tiers/eras of the series are seasons 1-6 (the Trevor era), season 7 (last season of the original run), season 8-12 (brought back by Netflix era).

1-6 is the golden age. 7 is pretty much in line with 1-6, but should have probably wrapped the series, and if you haven't seen anything past that, it would probably be the logical place to stop. 8-12 has some good stuff, but also goes a little over the top in a lot of places. Hard to pinpoint a place to stop there, though. Maybe after season 9.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2020-08-04, 15:03

Watched Motherless Brooklyn over the weekend. I really enjoyed it. Film noir, set in the mid 50s. Ed Norton, Bruce Willis, Willem Dafoe, Pantry’s favorite Alec Baldwin.
Norton’s role as the guy with Tourette’s searching for the killer(s) of his one true friend, and with only a few early clues, uncovers a massive scandal. My enjoyment was probably higher than the majority of reviews, but not by a lot. I’d give it just under eight GreenWays.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ on 2020-08-22, 21:23

CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ on 2020-08-22, 21:24

CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake on 2020-08-27, 18:40

Maybe my bar is really low for good entertainment, but I’m thoroughly enjoying Yellowstone. Is Costner generally considered someone who does “westerns” well? I enjoyed Open Range. There are some really good moments in the series that gave me a wet eye. Lots of violence but some well mixed human moments as well. My opinion but Yellowstone > Ozark.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on 2020-08-27, 18:46

Ad Astra. Meh.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on 2020-08-27, 18:47

Dr Sleep 3 hour directors cut.

Did not finish, but definitely has the retro King thing going. If you like that, you’ll like it, if you think it’s corny, you won’t.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake on 2020-08-27, 19:37

Rocinante wrote:Ad Astra. Meh.

Agree
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe on 2020-08-27, 20:28

kingstonlake wrote:Maybe my bar is really low for good entertainment, but I’m thoroughly enjoying Yellowstone. Is Costner generally considered someone who does “westerns” well? I enjoyed Open Range. There are some really good moments in the series that gave me a wet eye. Lots of violence but some well mixed human moments as well. My opinion but Yellowstone > Ozark.
Disagree.
Maybe one redeemable character in Yellowstone...none likable.
I guess the same with Ozark a bit, but Bateman is always something...
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2020-08-27, 20:48

kingstonlake wrote:Maybe my bar is really low for good entertainment, but I’m thoroughly enjoying Yellowstone. Is Costner generally considered someone who does “westerns” well? I enjoyed Open Range. There are some really good moments in the series that gave me a wet eye. Lots of violence but some well mixed human moments as well. My opinion but Yellowstone > Ozark.

I haven't seen Ozark, but I enjoy Yellowstone. Good characters. It's kind of a cowboy mafia movie, where I root for the main characters, but in real life would hope that people like that end up in jail.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe on 2020-08-27, 21:36

MiamiSpartan wrote:

I haven't seen Ozark, but I enjoy Yellowstone. Good characters. It's kind of a cowboy mafia movie, where I root for the main characters, but in real life would hope that people like that end up in jail.
Right... The "train station" should put them away for life. Everyone else on the ranch killed... Maybe not the black guy. Or the goofy bronco rider. Wait, he blew up the dudes that beat up grandpa. He should be in jail too. So just the black guy I guess.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ on 2020-09-07, 10:47

[ig]CE1rM-OnlTT[/ig]
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ on 2020-09-09, 14:23

I know nothing of Dune outside of it being a popular scifi book

CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2020-09-09, 14:25

CORNER BLITZ wrote:I know nothing of Dune outside of it being a popular scifi book

I remember watching the 1980s version way back when thinking it wasn't very good.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2020-09-09, 15:05

Floyd Robertson wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:I know nothing of Dune outside of it being a popular scifi book

I remember watching the 1980s version way back when thinking it wasn't very good.

I never saw it, but wasn't it by George Lucas, or otherwise thought to be the next Star Wars, before it bombed?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on 2020-09-09, 15:16

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

I never saw it, but wasn't it by George Lucas, or otherwise thought to be the next Star Wars, before it bombed?

No. It was a David Lynch movie. It’sa little weird but I like it.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2020-09-09, 17:55

Rocinante wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Had to look up what I was thinking about, and I think I was confusing it with Willow, which was written by Lucas. No idea why I got them confused.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2020-09-09, 19:31

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Never saw it, so it’s tough to say if it was good or not. I do remember questioning how good a movie could be when Sting was one of the actors in it.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on 2020-09-09, 22:01

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

Had to look up what I was thinking about, and I think I was confusing it with Willow, which was written by Lucas. No idea why I got them confused.

Val Kilmer’s best role.

Well, that and Salton Sea
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe on 2020-09-10, 21:20

The social dilemma...

We fucked.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2020-09-11, 17:25

Very much enjoyed The Last Full Measure. It didn’t get great reviews, but I found it interesting. Based on a true story of a jaded and disinterested DoD lawyer looking into whether an Air Force medic should be posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor.

Also surprised myself by very much liking Victoria & Abdul, also based on a true story. It involves Queen Victoria and her unlikely friendship with Abdul, an Indian clerk. Most of the info from this relationship was intentionally destroyed by the Queen’s son not long after she died, but Abdul Karim’s journal was discovered in the mid-20th century, several decades after his passing.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2020-09-11, 20:56

tGreenWay wrote:Very much enjoyed The Last Full Measure. It didn’t get great reviews, but I found it interesting. Based on a true story of a jaded and disinterested DoD lawyer looking into whether an Air Force medic should be posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor.

Yeah, not bad, and being a true story added to my interest level. Amazing old dude cast with Samuel Jackson, Ed Harris, Christopher Plummer, William Hurt.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe on 2020-09-11, 22:58

AvgMSUJoe wrote:The social dilemma...

Serious people... This weekend. Watch it.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2020-09-12, 18:06

MiamiSpartan wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Very much enjoyed The Last Full Measure. It didn’t get great reviews, but I found it interesting. Based on a true story of a jaded and disinterested DoD lawyer looking into whether an Air Force medic should be posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor.

Yeah, not bad, and being a true story added to my interest level. Amazing old dude cast with Samuel Jackson, Ed Harris, Christopher Plummer, William Hurt.

Agreed, the supporting cast has some strong actors with big names. And as a side note piece of trivia, William Hurt got his professional acting start in Lansing with the late BoarsHead Theater.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 on 2020-09-12, 21:58

Back to the future, how do present people not know Marty once he meets them in 1955
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron on 2020-09-12, 23:12

aualum06 wrote:Back to the future, how do present people not know Marty once  he meets them in 1955
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 on 2020-09-13, 09:40

Cameron wrote:
aualum06 wrote:Back to the future, how do present people not know Marty once  he meets them in 1955

Funny but does not answer the question
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron on 2020-09-13, 11:12

It's one of my favorite movies, but the real answer to your question is that BTTF has multiple plot holes.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on 2020-09-13, 16:06

That doesn’t seem like one of them. Like how many people do you remember from high school that you met once for a week?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 on 2020-09-13, 16:24

Rocinante wrote:That doesn’t seem like one of them. Like how many people do you remember from high school that you met once for a week?

If he was your future kid? Who played the song you kissed and fell in love too?
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2020-09-13, 16:31

aualum06 wrote:Back to the future, how do present people not know Marty once he meets them in 1955

Shocked
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2020-09-13, 16:59

aualum06 wrote:
Rocinante wrote:That doesn’t seem like one of them. Like how many people do you remember from high school that you met once for a week?

If he was your future kid? Who played the song you kissed and fell in love too?

I don't know, I think as your kid grows you see their face develop and any similarities to an old acquaintance would feel like it's just in your head. Especially if any similarity is a complete impossibility (to your knowledge).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on 2020-09-16, 04:20

I think it’s been discussed here before but Ford v Ferrari is a fun watch.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 18 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum