Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial: What stocks should we be looking to buy right now? thread

+16
The Pantry
WhiteBoyHatcher
Robert J Sakimano
Dendrobates
DWags
Jake from State Farm
AvgMSUJoe
InTenSity
kingstonlake
CORNER BLITZ
Watch Out Pylon!
Nordic
steveschneider
Heat Miser
I.B. Fine
tGreenWay
20 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

tOfficial: What stocks should we be looking to buy right now? thread - Page 2 Empty Re: tOfficial: What stocks should we be looking to buy right now? thread

Post by CORNER BLITZ Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:50 pm

Heat, why do your images never work on mobile? Others don't work either, but can usually click in the empty space where I assume they inserted a pic and it will take me to the image - yours don't do that?

CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial: What stocks should we be looking to buy right now? thread - Page 2 Empty Re: tOfficial: What stocks should we be looking to buy right now? thread

Post by Heat Miser Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:58 pm

CORNER BLITZ wrote:Heat, why do your images never work on mobile? Others don't work either, but can usually click in the empty space where I assume they inserted a pic and it will take me to the image - yours don't do that?

The images I'm posting are on the interwebs. The ones you can click to see were 1st uploaded to servimg.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:59 pm

👌👌
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:59 pm

Heat Miser wrote:
Nordic wrote:I'm curious as to how ya'll would of handled this situation.

You tell me Heat

No govt. handouts (that includes tax breaks). Period. Loans? Sure. The Fed just cut rates to zero. Have at it.

Fair enough.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:45 pm

Heat Miser wrote:This is also a great example of why you don't give a trillion & a half dollars to corporations and rich people. Keep what little powder you have dry because you never know when or where the next trillion dollar crisis will come from.
Won't taxes have to be increased in the next 4 years or so, just to start paying for all of this shit? Or do we cut military spending?
Then again if 2 million people on Social Security die, that free's up a lot of $$.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:36 pm

InTenSity wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:This is also a great example of why you don't give a trillion & a half dollars to corporations and rich people. Keep what little powder you have dry because you never know when or where the next trillion dollar crisis will come from.
Won't taxes have to be increased in the next 4 years or so, just to start paying for all of this shit? Or do we cut military spending?
Then again if 2 million people on Social Security die, that free's up a lot of $$.

Social Security is a separate bucket. Has nothing to do with the federal budget, despite what certain people would have you believe. We're lucky if we can get a freeze on military spending. That leaves taxes. Gotta roll back that dumb shit from 2 years ago & then some.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:38 pm

I want my $1000 now dammit.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:53 pm

Heat Miser wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

Social Security is a separate bucket. Has nothing to do with the federal budget, despite what certain people would have you believe. We're lucky if we can get a freeze on military spending. That leaves taxes. Gotta roll back that dumb shit from 2 years ago & then some.

SS is part of the Federal budget, it shouldn't be, but it is. Federal budget accounting would get a private business thrown in jail, but here's a breakdown from a year ago.

Policy Basics: Where Do Our Federal Tax Dollars Go?

I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:03 pm

I.B. Fine wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:
InTenSity wrote:

SS is part of the Federal budget, it shouldn't be, but it is. Federal budget accounting would get a private business thrown in jail, but here's a breakdown from a year ago.

It may be part of the "budget", but it's a separate "bucket" funded solely by SS payroll deductions. The rest of the federal budget is not co-mingled with SS money.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:24 pm

Heat Miser wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

It may be part of the "budget", but it's a separate "bucket" funded solely by SS payroll deductions. The rest of the federal budget is not co-mingled with SS money.
The 'Trust Fund' is full of IOU's. Congress has raided the surplus for years.
So far, SS tax money has covered the expense, but not for much longer, that's called an 'unfunded mandate'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Security_Trust_Fund wrote:The Social Security Administration collects payroll taxes and uses the money collected to pay Old-Age, Survivors, and Disability Insurance benefits by way of trust funds. When the program runs a surplus, the excess funds increase the value of the Trust Fund. At the end of 2014, the Trust Fund contained (or alternatively, was owed) $2.79 trillion, up $25 billion from 2013.[4] The Trust Fund is required by law to be invested in non-marketable securities issued and guaranteed by the "full faith and credit" of the federal government. These securities earn a market rate of interest.[5]

Excess funds are used by the government for non-Social Security purposes, creating the obligations to the Social Security Administration and thus program recipients. However, Congress could cut these obligations by altering the law. Trust Fund obligations are considered "intra-governmental" debt, a component of the "public" or "national" debt. As of June 2015, the intragovernmental debt was $5.1 trillion of the $18.2 trillion national debt.[6]

According to the Social Security Trustees, who oversee the program and report on its financial condition, program costs are expected to exceed non-interest income from 2010 onward. However, due to interest (earned at a 3.6% rate in 2014) the program will run an overall surplus that adds to the fund through the end of 2019. Under current law, the securities in the Trust Fund represent a legal obligation the government must honor when program revenues are no longer sufficient to fully fund benefit payments. However, when the Trust Fund is used to cover program deficits in a given year, the Trust Fund balance is reduced. By 2034, the Trust Fund is expected to be exhausted. Thereafter, payroll taxes are projected to only cover approximately 79% of program obligations.[7]
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:06 am

I.B. Fine wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

The 'Trust Fund' is full of IOU's. Congress has raided the surplus for years.
So far, SS tax money has covered the expense, but not for much longer, that's called an 'unfunded mandate'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Security_Trust_Fund wrote:The Social Security Administration collects payroll taxes and uses the money collected to pay Old-Age, Survivors, and Disability Insurance benefits by way of trust funds. When the program runs a surplus, the excess funds increase the value of the Trust Fund. At the end of 2014, the Trust Fund contained (or alternatively, was owed) $2.79 trillion, up $25 billion from 2013.[4] The Trust Fund is required by law to be invested in non-marketable securities issued and guaranteed by the "full faith and credit" of the federal government. These securities earn a market rate of interest.[5]

Excess funds are used by the government for non-Social Security purposes, creating the obligations to the Social Security Administration and thus program recipients. However, Congress could cut these obligations by altering the law. Trust Fund obligations are considered "intra-governmental" debt, a component of the "public" or "national" debt. As of June 2015, the intragovernmental debt was $5.1 trillion of the $18.2 trillion national debt.[6]

According to the Social Security Trustees, who oversee the program and report on its financial condition, program costs are expected to exceed non-interest income from 2010 onward. However, due to interest (earned at a 3.6% rate in 2014) the program will run an overall surplus that adds to the fund through the end of 2019. Under current law, the securities in the Trust Fund represent a legal obligation the government must honor when program revenues are no longer sufficient to fully fund benefit payments. However, when the Trust Fund is used to cover program deficits in a given year, the Trust Fund balance is reduced. By 2034, the Trust Fund is expected to be exhausted. Thereafter, payroll taxes are projected to only cover approximately 79% of program obligations.[7]

Unless & until this changes, everything I said is true. SS is a completely separate bucket. Yes, SS loans out its surplus to other parts of govt., but loan (with interest of course) is the key word. After all, the US govt. is considered the safest investment in the world. SS is about #99 on the top 10 list of investors the US govt. would default on.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:59 am

Heat Miser wrote:
Unless & until this changes, everything I said is true. SS is a completely separate bucket. Yes, SS loans out its surplus to other parts of govt., but loan (with interest of course) is the key word. After all, the US govt. is considered the safest investment in the world. SS is about #99 on the top 10 list of investors the US govt. would default on.
I admire your confidence that the bunch of pinhead politicians in DC wouldn't hesitate to screw over their constituents....
When the poop hits the ventilator, they'll be paying out SS with worthless money and a smile on their face.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:05 am

I.B. Fine wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:
I admire your confidence that the bunch of pinhead politicians in DC wouldn't hesitate to screw over their constituents....
When the poop hits the ventilator, they'll be paying out SS with worthless money and a smile on their face.

When "the poop hits the ventilator", the US govt. will default on every foreign country that holds US debt before it defaults on SS. Don't worry, your SS money is safe.

Slashing benefits and/or raising taxes is always in play of course, but that's a different conversation that has nothing to do with raiding/defaulting on the trust fund.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:34 am

Heat Miser wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

When "the poop hits the ventilator", the US govt. will default on every foreign country that holds US debt before it defaults on SS. Don't worry, your SS money is safe.

Slashing benefits and/or raising taxes is always in play of course, but that's a different conversation that has nothing to do with raiding/defaulting on the trust fund.

Yeah, I can see them moving eligibility requirements but it’s going to be there if we can make it to the requirements. Five years from now, no way can you start drawing at 62. He’ll, I’m guessing when we come out of this “early draw” will be 67.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:39 am

DWags wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:
I.B. Fine wrote:

Yeah, I can see them moving eligibility requirements but it’s going to be there if we can make it to the requirements. Five years from now, no way can you start drawing at 62. He’ll, I’m guessing when we come out of this “early draw” will be 67.

Actually, removing the cap on payroll deductions (rich people) buys another 30+ years of solvency. Problem solved.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:51 am

So about those stocks/investments

CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:51 am

Heat Miser wrote:
DWags wrote:

Actually, removing the cap on payroll deductions (rich people) buys another 30+ years of solvency. Problem solved.

But that’s too easy.

By the way, I’m not panicking till you panic.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:26 pm

Dow under 20k. ~33% drop in less than a month. All gains during the current administration wiped out.

Dow 10k is not unrealistic IMHO. I'd put the "bottom" over/under at 15k. It will be 10 years before we approach 30k again.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:37 am

And so it begins:

Weekly jobless claims jump to 281,000 ahead of surge in coronavirus layoffs
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:44 am

Regarding what stocks to buy, my take is still bottom to go but the answer should be easy once we reach the turn. So many stocks are cheap and better discounts are coming.

Disney is cheap, McDonalds is dropping. Square space looks good. Will watch AAPL. Also, never a bad idea to just buy a fund that follows the S&P as it climbs back up.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:46 am

steveschneider wrote:Regarding what stocks to buy, my take is still bottom to go but the answer should be easy once we reach the turn. So many stocks are cheap and better discounts are coming.

Disney is cheap, McDonalds is dropping. Square space looks good.  Will watch AAPL. Also, never a bad idea to just buy a fund that follows the S&P as it climbs back up.

For the casual investor, I'd go with the last option. I'd also add Roku to your list.

Last edited by Heat Miser on Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:47 am

Netflix?
Costco?
Amazon?
Microsoft?
Medical Supply Companies?

Investing in companies with good Tech is always a good idea. Probably even more so now. Medical companies could be the new military companies. Even after his is over, there is sure to be a stockpiling.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:51 am

Wall Street is updating its recession predictions. They're extremely bleak

"The key outlook issue now is gauging the depth and the duration of the 2020 recession."
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:53 am

Heat Miser wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Regarding what stocks to buy, my take is still bottom to go but the answer should be easy once we reach the turn. So many stocks are cheap and better discounts are coming.

Disney is cheap, McDonalds is dropping. Square space looks good.  Will watch AAPL. Also, never a bad idea to just buy a fund that follows the S&P as it climbs back up.

For the casual investor, I'd go with the last option. I'd also add Roku to your list.

roku and twlo are probably the first purchases I’ll make on the turn. Been watching them everyday.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:49 am

First time ever buying stocks (we are just so ignorant about it, and no idea where to start. Add in very limited extra income). But we bought some Disney stock.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:15 am

Nordic wrote:Netflix?
Costco?
Amazon?
Microsoft?

Investing in companies with good Tech is always a good idea. Probably even more so now. Medical companies could be the new military companies. Even after his is over, there is sure to be a stockpiling.

Teladoc Health Inc (TDOC) has been one keeping me from completely bottoming out - bought last year and is a medical skype type company allowing teleconference doctor visits

Coke/AT&T have been solid - not necessarily during the crash obviously but constant dividends have been nice

Right now I am thinking the bulk of post-crash (still coming) money will go towards Amazon/Walmart - just think their spread and supply chain capabilities are going to bring them back up faster
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:26 am

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
Costco?
Amazon?
Microsoft?

Teladoc Health Inc (TDOC) has been one keeping me from completely bottoming out - bought last year and is a medical skype type company allowing teleconference doctor visits

Coke/AT&T have been solid - not necessarily during the crash obviously but constant dividends have been nice

Right now I am thinking the bulk of post-crash (still coming) money will go towards Amazon/Walmart - just think their spread and supply chain capabilities are going to bring them back up faster

I wish I had some baller money for that. I wouldn’t be able to buy 1 share.

That’s also why we’ve stayed away from buying stocks. What little we could contribute would rarely make any dent.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:29 am

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
Costco?
Amazon?
Microsoft?

Yep, I've held T. The dividends are amazing. I also have used it to write covered calls out of the money so I keep a nice premium coming in.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:48 pm

Dendrobates wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:
Costco?
Amazon?
Microsoft?

That’s also why we’ve stayed away from buying stocks. What little we could contribute would rarely make any dent.

Stick with index funds. You'll be fine.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:19 pm

Heat Miser wrote:
Dendrobates wrote:

Stick with index funds. You'll be fine.

Booooorrrrinnnnnggg

I'm not going to fuck with my retirement stuff. I leave that up to my investment guy(s). But I'm getting itchy to play around a bit with some loose cash. Can't gambol right now, minus well play the market.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:23 pm

Dow up +124.5pts tOfficial: What stocks should we be looking to buy right now? thread - Page 2 4198636888
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:50 pm

let me know what people who wear khakis are into and I'll buy some of that.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:51 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:let me know what people who wear khakis are into and I'll buy some of that.

Michigan football futures. GL.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:04 pm

Nordic wrote:Dow up +124.5pts tOfficial: What stocks should we be looking to buy right now? thread - Page 2 4198636888

cheers cheers cheers
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:10 pm

Nordic wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:let me know what people who wear khakis are into and I'll buy some of that.

Michigan football futures. GL.
tOfficial: What stocks should we be looking to buy right now? thread - Page 2 502811600

maybe I could also buy some shares of some Up North-related stuff.. golf clubs.. fudge.. button up shirts.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:39 pm

White Claw
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:41 pm

Heat Miser wrote:

White Claw
afro
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:30 pm

DWags wrote:
Nordic wrote:Dow up +124.5pts tOfficial: What stocks should we be looking to buy right now? thread - Page 2 4198636888

cheers cheers cheers

+188.27

The Bull run is on!
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:25 am

Not a stock market guy. But it's Zoom on the nyse?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:31 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Not a stock market guy. But it's Zoom on the nyse?

ZM
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next