Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any word on MSU finances?

+8
The Pantry
steveschneider
DWags
Nordic
CORNER BLITZ
Floyd Robertson
tGreenWay
Turtleneck
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Any word on MSU finances? Empty Any word on MSU finances?

Post by Turtleneck Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:09 pm

Saw this in regards to UM. Was wondering what MSU is facing.

University of Michigan imposes hiring, salary freezes to face anticipated losses of $400M to $1B

ANN ARBOR, MI — The University of Michigan announced Monday that it will freeze hiring and employees’ base salaries will not increase through the end of the 2020-21 budget year as the university works to preserve financial resources during the coronavirus pandemic.

In an email to faculty and staff, UM President Mark Schlissel said all three campuses — including Michigan Medicine — estimate anticipated losses of $400 million to $1 billion through the end of the 2020 calendar year.

https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/2020/04/university-of-michigan-imposes-hiring-salary-freezes-to-face-anticipated-losses-of-400m-to-1b.html

Last edited by Turtleneck on Sun May 17, 2020 3:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Any word on MSU finances? Empty Re: Any word on MSU finances?

Post by tGreenWay Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:26 pm

It was mighty nice of their AD to take a 5% pay cut. Rolling Eyes
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:28 pm

I saw yesterday Boise St furloughed everyone in their athletic department making over $40k a year.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:42 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:I saw yesterday Boise St furloughed everyone in their athletic department making over $40k a year.

Not sure about its impact on athletics, but Wisconsin, Arizona, Kentucky, Oregon, and Louisville are all furloughing or laying off staff. I do wonder how self-sustaining athletic departments will handle the revenue loss if there is no football season. It seems like it would create a pretty big budget shortfall, at least in the short term.

Last edited by Turtleneck on Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:42 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:I saw yesterday Boise St furloughed everyone in their athletic department making over $40k a year.

For context, Warde Manuel’s 5% pay cut amounts to about $50k.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:57 pm

Turtleneck wrote:

Not sure about its impact on athletics, but Wisconsin, Arizona, Kentucky, Oregon, and Louisville are all furloughing or laying off staff. I do wonder how self-sustaining athletic departments will handle the revenue loss if there is no football season. It seems like it would create a pretty big budget shortfall, at least in the short term.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.dailycaller.com/2020/04/02/lsu-financial-football-athletics-revenue-coronavirus

[tw]1245087809440026624[/tw]
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:57 pm

Interesting. I assume there must be some sort of verbiage in their contracts.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29078562/boise-state-coaches-athletics-staff-take-furloughs

The university said 12-month employees earning more than $40,000 per year are required to take furloughs between May 3 and July 31. The highest-paid employees making more than $150,000 annually will have to take 10-day furloughs.

Broncos football coach Bryan Harsin, who earns $1.65 million in base salary, will forfeit about $63,000. Most of his assistant coaches are also subject to the 10-day requirement, along with men's basketball coach Leon Rice and women's basketball coach Gordy Presnell.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:06 pm

To answer Turtle's question, and this is only assumption, I'd say every University is going to experience the same thing as UofM. MSU won't be immune from that. How much, who knows. I said in another thread, I'm not too anxious for my daughter to step on campus until Winter Semester 2021. I'm sure I'd lose the argument here, and she'll do what is necessary when she goes, but if I'm thinking "take a semester off", how many others are?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:11 pm

DWags wrote:To answer Turtle's question, and this is only assumption, I'd say every University is going to experience the same thing as UofM.   MSU won't be immune from that.  How much, who knows.  I said in another thread, I'm not too anxious for my daughter to step on campus until Winter Semester 2021.  I'm sure I'd lose the argument here, and she'll do what is necessary when she goes, but if I'm thinking "take a semester off", how many others are?  

Same Dwags. Oldest is going to be a freshman. I highly doubt she steps foot on campus this fall. What an odd year to be a HS senior/incoming freshman.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:15 pm

Nordic wrote:
DWags wrote:To answer Turtle's question, and this is only assumption, I'd say every University is going to experience the same thing as UofM.   MSU won't be immune from that.  How much, who knows.  I said in another thread, I'm not too anxious for my daughter to step on campus until Winter Semester 2021.  I'm sure I'd lose the argument here, and she'll do what is necessary when she goes, but if I'm thinking "take a semester off", how many others are?  

Same Dwags. Oldest is going to be a freshman. I highly doubt she steps foot on campus this fall. What an odd year to be a HS senior/incoming freshman.

Or graduating from college this spring and hitting the job market.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:16 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Or graduating from college this spring and hitting the job market.

Good point. That would suck.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:40 pm

Nordic wrote:

Wow, didn't realize that she was a senior. Wow, feel horrible for her. Yeah, that is something she will be able to talk to her grandkids about. What a time. Sorry she's got to deal with this. How excited were all of us for h.s. graduation then move-in to MSU? Sucks Nordy. Best to the young lady.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:51 pm

She's not phased. Mom on the other hand....
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:03 pm

Almost every thread I read I get Any word on MSU finances? 1896033241 Any word on MSU finances? 1896033241 Any word on MSU finances? 1896033241 Any word on MSU finances? 1896033241 Any word on MSU finances? 1896033241
thinking about how if we just ha easy access to testing we could get our selves out of this fucking mess. Antibody tests and quick easy self tests with quick results.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:50 am

I worry this will push back financing construction of the giant Spartan statue by a year or more.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:04 pm

Sadly, doesn't include the asshats responsible for that nauseating blue field
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:09 pm

steveschneider wrote:Almost every thread I read I get Any word on MSU finances? 1896033241 Any word on MSU finances? 1896033241 Any word on MSU finances? 1896033241 Any word on MSU finances? 1896033241 Any word on MSU finances? 1896033241
thinking about how if we just ha easy access to testing we could get our selves out of this fucking mess. Antibody tests and quick easy self tests with quick results.
yep.

and what's worse is that all decent Americans knew this day was coming.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:05 am

https://www.hustlebelt.com/2020/4/24/21233631/university-of-akron-president-recommends-20-percent-budget-cut-for-athletics-in-new-master-plan
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:28 am

Turtleneck wrote:https://www.hustlebelt.com/2020/4/24/21233631/university-of-akron-president-recommends-20-percent-budget-cut-for-athletics-in-new-master-plan

I suspect some schools will use the coronavirus hit as an excuse to cut athletics. I googled about Akron and found that their athletic department, like most schools has been bleeding money. It only generates 25% of what it spends. They pay 5 million a year servicing debt on the stadium. Of the 23 million that the university has to subsidize from elsewhere, the president talked last summer about cutting 8 million (I don't know if he was able to and is cutting more now, or if he's using this to push through part of what he couldn't 9 months ago).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:33 am

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:https://www.hustlebelt.com/2020/4/24/21233631/university-of-akron-president-recommends-20-percent-budget-cut-for-athletics-in-new-master-plan

I suspect some schools will use the coronavirus hit as an excuse to cut athletics. I googled about Akron and found that their athletic department, like most schools has been bleeding money. It only generates 25% of what it spends. They pay 5 million a year servicing debt on the stadium. Of the 23 million that the university has to subsidize from elsewhere, the president talked last summer about cutting 8 million (I don't know if he was able to and is cutting more now, or if he's using this to push through part of what he couldn't 9 months ago).

They’re going to end up with zip.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:32 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Any word on MSU finances? 502811600
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:38 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I wonder if the university of Pennsylvania is shaken up about this?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:29 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

I suspect some schools will use the coronavirus hit as an excuse to cut athletics.  I googled about Akron and found that their athletic department, like most schools has been bleeding money.  It only generates 25% of what it spends.  They pay 5 million a year servicing debt on the stadium.  Of the 23 million that the university has to subsidize from elsewhere, the president talked last summer about cutting 8 million (I don't know if he was able to and is cutting more now, or if he's using this to push through part of what he couldn't 9 months ago).  

Any word on MSU finances? 502811600 +1

DWags wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

I know some Witchita State fans who will be shocked if that school cuts spending on athletics.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:41 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:

Those schools should be cutting spending. As you pointed out, Akron's spending far exceeds revenue. This is the case for most, if not all, of the Group of Five schools. They have to cover costs with student fees and the general budget, which drives up the overall operating costs of the school. I just don't see that as fair to students or taxpyers.

There are several Power Five schools in the same position, but I suspect they get bailed out by conference revenue sharing. This is certainly the case for Rutgers. It will be interesting to see how that plays out if there is no season, or it is shortened or delayed.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:23 am

DWags wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

They’re quaking.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:27 am

tGreenWay wrote:
DWags wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

They’re quaking.

That can always churn more.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:28 am

Heat Miser wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

They’re quaking.

That can always churn more.

I trust they’ll work it oat.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sun May 03, 2020 2:27 pm

Western Michigan University lays off 240 employees, enacts pay cuts for others

https://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/2020/04/western-michigan-university-lays-off-240-employees-enacts-pay-cuts-for-others.html?utm_campaign=kzoogazette_sf&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Facilities and non contract employees.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue May 05, 2020 3:23 am

U Akron eliminating 5 of its 11 colleges, and significant reductions coming for athletics.

https://www.cleveland.com/education/2020/05/university-of-akron-to-eliminate-six-of-11-colleges-as-part-of-cost-saving-measures-due-to-coronavirus-pandemic.html

Pay cuts to top coaches and AD at CMU

http://www.cm-life.com/article/2020/05/central-michigan-cmu-chippewas-jim-mcelwain-michael-alford-keno-davis-heather-oesterle-pay-cuts-covid-19

If students do not return to the classroom this fall, I think school closures or consolidation will be on the table for small and mid size public institutions.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue May 05, 2020 3:34 am

How do you send your child to a dorm room in September? This is going to get bad.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue May 05, 2020 3:47 am

DWags wrote:How do you send your child to a dorm room in September? This is going to get bad.

Hopefully by then an accurate antibody test is working...and maybe proof that once you've had it, you can't get it again.

If not...a lot of kids will be taking classes online (and from home).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon May 11, 2020 6:40 pm

[tw]1259884841568481282[/tw]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon May 11, 2020 6:47 pm

I don't think rowing is going to cut it. That boat is going to need a motor.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Tue May 12, 2020 1:23 am

NigelUno wrote:
DWags wrote:How do you send your child to a dorm room in September? This is going to get bad.

Hopefully by then an accurate antibody test is working...and maybe proof that once you've had it, you can't get it again.

If not...a lot of kids will be taking classes online (and from home).

You really think they’ll have proof by late summer that once you have it you can’t get it again? I don’t.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue May 12, 2020 1:28 am

I miss grilled cheese night at the dorm cafeteria.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed May 13, 2020 3:22 am

MAC cuts eight post season tournaments, slims size of basketball tournaments, and dumps divisions for basketball. All to cut costs.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/mid-american-conference-cancels-postseason-tournaments-for-eight-sports-changes-basketball-format/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed May 13, 2020 6:03 am

Turtleneck wrote:I miss grilled cheese night at the dorm cafeteria.

It was cancelled in a cost-cutting move.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed May 13, 2020 2:31 pm

EAST LANSING, Mich, (WOOD) — Michigan State University announced budget cuts for the remainder of the 2020 fiscal year, which ends June 30, and the 2021 fiscal year, which runs from July 1 to June 30, 2021, due impacts of the coronavirus pandemic.

President Samuel Stanley says MSU has already lost between $50 million and $60 million for the 2020 fiscal year. The university anticipates a loss of $150 million to $300 million for the 2021 fiscal year and a shortfall of 11%.

Stanley announced executives at the university will be taking a temporary pay cut between 2% and 7% depending on salary. He says he will also be taking a 10% pay cut effective immediately.

Academic and administrative units will also take a minimum 3% budget cut.

https://www.woodtv.com/news/michigan/msu-announces-budget-cuts-for-2020-2021-fiscal-years/

No mention of grilled cheese, GreenWay.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Wed May 13, 2020 3:42 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
EAST LANSING, Mich, (WOOD) — Michigan State University announced budget cuts for the remainder of the 2020 fiscal year, which ends June 30, and the 2021 fiscal year, which runs from July 1 to June 30, 2021, due impacts of the coronavirus pandemic.

President Samuel Stanley says MSU has already lost between $50 million and $60 million for the 2020 fiscal year. The university anticipates a loss of $150 million to $300 million for the 2021 fiscal year and a shortfall of 11%.

Stanley announced executives at the university will be taking a temporary pay cut between 2% and 7% depending on salary. He says he will also be taking a 10% pay cut effective immediately.

Academic and administrative units will also take a minimum 3% budget cut.

https://www.woodtv.com/news/michigan/msu-announces-budget-cuts-for-2020-2021-fiscal-years/

No mention of grilled cheese, GreenWay.

Seems a bit light. Mrs. Miser's law firm cut everyone over $50k by 15%.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu May 14, 2020 5:44 pm

[tw]1260958825475198981[/tw]
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next