Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Page 16 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2020-06-29, 07:54

some the intellectual elite in the mainstream media are saying what I was saying probably 6 months ago.

Rough polling stretch has GOP operatives asking: Could Trump drop out?

Caution: Mainstream Media Link
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 39350
Join date : 2014-04-15

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by kingstonlake on 2020-06-29, 08:21

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:The Russian bounty thing is starting to pick up steam. Starting to wonder if the cowardly Rs might see they are fighting a losing battle with Cheeto and try to replace him. Probably not. But a lot has changed since the impeachment trial.

BENGHAZI!! OBAMAGATE!!
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 15232
Join date : 2014-05-15
Age : 56

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by Cameron on 2020-06-29, 09:47

Robert J Sakimano wrote:some the intellectual elite in the mainstream media are saying what I was saying probably 6 months ago.

Rough polling stretch has GOP operatives asking: Could Trump drop out?

Caution: Mainstream Media Link

To be fair, you've also stated with equal confidence that he will win, and also that he will die. You say a lot of shit, Bob.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 7280
Join date : 2014-04-16
Age : 31
Location : Michigan

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2020-06-29, 09:51

Cameron wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:some the intellectual elite in the mainstream media are saying what I was saying probably 6 months ago.



Caution: Mainstream Media Link

To be fair, you've also stated with equal confidence that he will win, and also that he will die. You say a lot of shit, Bob.
you are correct.

I think there is an equal likelihood that he drops out or he goes on to be with his other christian ilk and their heavenly father. I think there is a chance that he wins because of voter suppression. I think that if Americans are allowed to vote and our votes count, he loses by a very comfortable margin.

the point is, nobody knows what will happen.. regardless of what the pointy headed intellectuals and the idiots in the mainstream media proclaim. It was just interesting to see the mainstream media types start to say what I've been saying for a while.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 39350
Join date : 2014-04-15

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2020-06-29, 10:01

I don't think he will let the GOP tell him to drop out any more than he did in the 2016 primary. I think he'd rather lose and claim it was a rigged, fraudulent, illegitimate election.

On the other hand, he could use that as an excuse to quit, that he won't get a fair election or some nonsense.

Also, if he knows he's going to lose, he may resign, so that Pence could pardon him, which Trump may need.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 6354
Join date : 2014-04-16
Location : Miami, FL

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2020-06-29, 10:06

MiamiSpartan wrote:I don't think he will let the GOP tell him to drop out any more than he did in the 2016 primary. I think he'd rather lose and claim it was a rigged, fraudulent, illegitimate election.

On the other hand, he could use that as an excuse to quit, that he won't get a fair election or some nonsense.

Also, if he knows he's going to lose, he may resign, so that Pence could pardon him, which Trump may need.
yep - one thing we all know (or those of us that pay attention know), is that we have no idea what will happen.

I mean, I knew the christian reign of terror would be bad, but even I didn't think he would lead us into a pandemic, the worst racial strife since the 60's, the worst economy since The Great Depression and allow Putin to pay money in exchange for dead American soldiers.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 39350
Join date : 2014-04-15

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by steveschneider on 2020-06-29, 19:29

Biden is running an amazing campaign. He looks like a fucking boss with his mask and shades. Can’t wait until November when he kicks Trumps ass.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 25735
Join date : 2014-05-02

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by msugolfguy on 2020-06-29, 19:33

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:I don't think he will let the GOP tell him to drop out any more than he did in the 2016 primary. I think he'd rather lose and claim it was a rigged, fraudulent, illegitimate election.

On the other hand, he could use that as an excuse to quit, that he won't get a fair election or some nonsense.

Also, if he knows he's going to lose, he may resign, so that Pence could pardon him, which Trump may need.
yep - one thing we all know (or those of us that pay attention know), is that we have no idea what will happen.

I mean, I knew the christian reign of terror would be bad, but even I didn't think he would lead us into a pandemic, the worst racial strife since the 60's, the worst economy since The Great Depression and allow Putin to pay money in exchange for dead American soldiers.

Conservatives don't seem to care about the troops anymore. Oddly silent on that.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Posts : 551
Join date : 2014-08-25

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by Cameron on 2020-06-29, 19:58

steveschneider wrote:Biden is running an amazing campaign. He looks like a fucking boss with his mask and shades. Can’t wait until November when he kicks Trumps ass.

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 502811600
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 7280
Join date : 2014-04-16
Age : 31
Location : Michigan

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2020-06-29, 21:05

So, not surprisingly, Putin's Buddy Ryan impersonation DID make it into Trump's daily briefing. It just keeps getting worse. Even if we want to give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't read that part and/or that it wasn't verbally brought to his attention, then that just highlights his and his staff's gross incompetence for the office.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 6354
Join date : 2014-04-16
Location : Miami, FL

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by GRR Spartan on 2020-06-29, 21:23

Pence starts wearing a mask this week.
Trump goes on Hannity and says he might lose because no one loves him.
Trump's ego may see his out by pulling a Nixon.
President Pence issues Trump a blanket pardon.

The last part because its been reported multiple times on multiple news outlets that a major reason Trump would seek re-election was so any criminal activity like financial fraud he may have committed in the last 3 years before he was elected would expire with statute of limitations.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 7616
Join date : 2014-04-25

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by kingstonlake on 2020-06-29, 21:28

It appears Trump has shoved all his Racist chips in the middle of the table. He’s not even hiding it.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 15232
Join date : 2014-05-15
Age : 56

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2020-06-30, 06:21

msugolfguy wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: yep - one thing we all know (or those of us that pay attention know), is that we have no idea what will happen.

I mean, I knew the christian reign of terror would be bad, but even I didn't think he would lead us into a pandemic, the worst racial strife since the 60's, the worst economy since The Great Depression and allow Putin to pay money in exchange for dead American soldiers.

Conservatives don't seem to care about the troops anymore. Oddly silent on that.
they never have cared about the troops.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 39350
Join date : 2014-04-15

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by DWags on 2020-06-30, 06:33

If you still support Trump you’re either a full blown racist or a billionaire. Check your bank account.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 37260
Join date : 2014-04-21
Age : 58
Location : Right here

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by steveschneider on 2020-06-30, 07:38

DWags wrote:If you still support Trump you’re either a full blown racist or a billionaire. Check your bank account.

I have a feeling that people that are upset about Aunt Jamima syrup going away are the same ones that are probably going to vote for Trump. Also, here's a brief PSA use real Vermont Maple Syrup people it's better than that corporate mass produced crap.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 25735
Join date : 2014-05-02

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by Jake from State Farm on 2020-06-30, 12:36

steveschneider wrote:
DWags wrote:If you still support Trump you’re either a full blown racist or a billionaire. Check your bank account.

I have a feeling that people that are upset about Aunt Jamima syrup going away are the same ones that are probably going to vote for Trump. Also, here's a brief PSA use real Vermont Maple Syrup people it's better than that corporate mass produced crap.

Or Michigan Maple Syrup. The corporate stuff is nothing more than flavored corn syrup.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 3315
Join date : 2014-05-12

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by steveschneider on 2020-06-30, 12:41

Jake from State Farm wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I have a feeling that people that are upset about Aunt Jamima syrup going away are the same ones that are probably going to vote for Trump. Also, here's a brief PSA use real Vermont Maple Syrup people it's better than that corporate mass produced crap.

Or Michigan Maple Syrup. The corporate stuff is nothing more than flavored corn syrup.



It's diabetes in a bottle.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 25735
Join date : 2014-05-02

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by steveschneider on 2020-06-30, 13:26

steveschneider
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 25735
Join date : 2014-05-02

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by kingstonlake on 2020-06-30, 20:19

Any poll in a contestable state that has Biden up by more than 3-5pts is not credible.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 15232
Join date : 2014-05-15
Age : 56

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2020-07-01, 06:33

KKK Barbie - the racist, bigoted christian sexual predator's latest spokesthing - said yesterday that our christian hero is "the most informed person on planet Earth".

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 39350
Join date : 2014-04-15

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by steveschneider on 2020-07-01, 06:55

“It's almost July, and it seems like our wartime president has surrendered, waved the white flag and left the battlefield," he said. "Here we are three months later and we're hardly more prepared than we were in March."

On the lack of PPE "fix the shortage" facing essential workers "before you tee off another round of golf".

On Russia paying Taliban bounties: "it's an absolute dereliction of duty if any of this is even remotely true,"

"This president talks about cognitive capability. He doesn't seem to be cognitively aware of what's going on," Biden said, apparently in reference to Mr. Trump's attacks on Biden's cognitive abilities. "He either reads and/or gets briefed on important issues, and he forgets it, or he doesn't think it's necessary that he need to know it."

Go get him Joe!




steveschneider
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 25735
Join date : 2014-05-02

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2020-07-01, 07:24

Robert J Sakimano wrote:KKK Barbie - the racist, bigoted christian sexual predator's latest spokesthing - said yesterday that our christian hero is "the most informed person on planet Earth".

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 502811600


For being the most informed person on the planet, he sure seems to be in the dark on a lot ("I was never briefed on that", "I hardly know that guy", "I didn't hear the white power comment in the video").
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 6354
Join date : 2014-04-16
Location : Miami, FL

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by Jake from State Farm on 2020-07-01, 10:05

Robert J Sakimano wrote:KKK Barbie - the racist, bigoted christian sexual predator's latest spokesthing - said yesterday that our christian hero is "the most informed person on planet Earth".

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 502811600

Well duh, how could he not be, he watches Fox news 24/7.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 3315
Join date : 2014-05-12

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by Cameron on 2020-07-01, 10:07

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:KKK Barbie - the racist, bigoted christian sexual predator's latest spokesthing - said yesterday that our christian hero is "the most informed person on planet Earth".

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 502811600


For being the most informed person on the planet, he sure seems to be in the dark on a lot ("I was never briefed on that", "I hardly know that guy", "I didn't hear the white power comment in the video").
For someone who loves talking and thinking about the power of the office he holds, the buck sure does stop elsewhere an awful lot. Literally always, in fact.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 7280
Join date : 2014-04-16
Age : 31
Location : Michigan

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by Floyd Robertson on 2020-07-01, 12:20

Cameron wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:


For being the most informed person on the planet, he sure seems to be in the dark on a lot ("I was never briefed on that", "I hardly know that guy", "I didn't hear the white power comment in the video").
For someone who loves talking and thinking about the power of the office he holds, the buck sure does stop elsewhere an awful lot. Literally always, in fact.

It can't be literally. Dude doesn't like to read.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 22241
Join date : 2014-04-15
Age : 60
Location : Rolling Hills

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by kingstonlake on 2020-07-01, 15:37

It’s a well know fact that people who consistently struggle to spell, love to read....
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 15232
Join date : 2014-05-15
Age : 56

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by steveschneider on 2020-07-01, 16:09

steveschneider
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 25735
Join date : 2014-05-02

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by kingstonlake on 2020-07-01, 21:07

kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 15232
Join date : 2014-05-15
Age : 56

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by GRR Spartan on 2020-07-01, 21:55

The idea Trump will bail prior to November is looking more possible.

In the last 24 hours a load of Republican including Pence, McConnell, Rubio and others are promoting wearing masks.  Their way of saying Emperor Trump has no clothes.

Trump wants to cover his ass and he has zero loyalty to the GOP.  His concern is and alsways has been himself.   Trump can resign before or after the nomination.  Trump needs Pence to deliver a pardon prior to the electoral college winner after the 2020 general election is sworn in Jan 2021.

That way any criminal activity that might be linked back to Trump won't be prosecuted.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 7616
Join date : 2014-04-25

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2020-07-02, 13:00



I think that's a little too agenda-driven, to the point of cherry picking facts to fit the narrative that they're trying to portray, which frankly isn't about any sort of racist equality, but about the electoral college not necessarily favoring Democrats. While there may be racist origins in the electoral college, that doesn't make the modern institution of it inherently racist. It was, from the start, a compromise. A balance between state rights and federal rule. If the electoral college is of racist origins, then so is the House of Representatives. It's interesting that they make a mention of the 3/5 rule being used for Congressional seats, but then don't level the same criticisms at that institution as they do toward the electoral college for using that same rule when it was started. Considering which party holds power in the House, and which party has benefited from the electoral college over the popular vote a couple of times in recent history, it shows that they aren't coming at this with any sort of an objective, historical viewpoint.

The part where they really jump the shark is where they say that the electoral college STILL dilutes the political power of blacks and say that "Because the concentration for black people is highest in the South, their preferred presidential candidate is virtually assured to lose their home states' electoral votes. While that is largely true, blacks have LESS of a voice in who gets the electoral votes in Northern "Blue" states. But apparently that's ok if those states still vote for the candidate that the black population prefers? That's not giving blacks a voice, it's just a coincidence based on the current political climate in those states.

tl;dr - The article is selective about the facts and logic uses, and is basically saying that because the electoral college doesn't overly favor the Democrats, it's therefore racist.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 6354
Join date : 2014-04-16
Location : Miami, FL

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2020-07-02, 15:33

I could just settle in on it’s dumb and stupid and not how any other election in the country works and most importantly it devalues the worth of my vote because of the state I’m in so I hate it.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 22411
Join date : 2014-04-15
Age : 36
Location : Please cease horny posting

Travis of the Cosmos likes this post

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2020-07-02, 19:33

Shut up Steve.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 25886
Join date : 2014-04-20
Location : Welcome to the Revolution

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by steveschneider on 2020-07-02, 19:35

Also, the amount of chatter about him dropping out is really picking up. He is getting his ass handed to him but I just can’t picture it happening.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 25735
Join date : 2014-05-02

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by Rocinante on 2020-07-02, 20:13

I don’t know how you could not think that the electoral college neuters the black vote. Or any minority vote. It takes a complex political landscape and diminishes it to winner take all in most states. And to say it’s just blacks would be dumb too because California for instance has a lot of republicans in rural districts. The only reason not to eliminate both gerrymandering and the electoral college is because doing so would cause the government to better represent the country and there’s a group of people (on the left and right but mostly the right) who don’t want that.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 18096
Join date : 2014-04-21
Location : East Lansing, MI

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by MattyFresh on 2020-07-02, 20:20

Rocinante wrote:I don’t know how you could not think that the electoral college neuters the black vote.  Or any minority vote.  It takes a complex political landscape and diminishes it to winner take all in most states.  And to say it’s just blacks would be dumb too because California for instance has a lot of republicans in rural districts.  The only reason not to eliminate both gerrymandering and the electoral college is because doing so would cause the government to better represent the country and there’s a group of people (on the left and right but mostly the right) who don’t want that.  

You want to hear something fucked up about the EC? Hypothetically a candidate could get 50.00001% of the vote in the 11 most populous states and then lose the remaining 39 states 99.999 to 0.001 and they could win the election... Popular vote wise you would end up with like 30 some percent of the vote and win...small state representation amirite?
MattyFresh
MattyFresh
Spartiate

Posts : 5291
Join date : 2015-06-10
Age : 33
Location : Okemos, MI

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2020-07-03, 12:43

According to Vanity Fair, a source close to Mitch McConnel said that if Trump hasn't turned things around by Labor Day, he's on his own, as Republicans are concerned that he'll cause them to lose the Senate. It includes some other interesting tidbits about Trump's demeanor, Kushner and Meadows hating each other, etc.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/07/trump-despondent-as-numbers-crater-loser-label-looms
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 6354
Join date : 2014-04-16
Location : Miami, FL

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2020-07-03, 13:55

Rocinante wrote:I don’t know how you could not think that the electoral college neuters the black vote. Or any minority vote. It takes a complex political landscape and diminishes it to winner take all in most states. And to say it’s just blacks would be dumb too because California for instance has a lot of republicans in rural districts. The only reason not to eliminate both gerrymandering and the electoral college is because doing so would cause the government to better represent the country and there’s a group of people (on the left and right but mostly the right) who don’t want that.


Yeah, but minority groups (ethnic, political, social, or whatever) are "neutered" in any election, even the local dog catcher. That's pretty much how a democratic system works. But going back to my issue in the article, it's that they were saying that the electoral system dilutes the black vote because in states with the highest amount of blacks, the electoral votes of that state doesn't go to who they want. But that's only because of the current political climate in various states, not the electoral college itself.

I am in favor of the electoral college, because of the vast differences in social, economic, and demographic makeup around the country, and I believe in the balance of power between the states and federal government. But I would also be in favor of altering it, to allow the electoral votes in each state to be split, where maybe each region or congressional district gets 1 electoral vote. I know that still brings potential gerrymandering into it, but that would have to be figured out appropriately (it's not like what I'm suggesting is happening tomorrow anyway).
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 6354
Join date : 2014-04-16
Location : Miami, FL

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2020-07-03, 14:10

MattyFresh wrote:
Rocinante wrote:I don’t know how you could not think that the electoral college neuters the black vote.  Or any minority vote.  It takes a complex political landscape and diminishes it to winner take all in most states.  And to say it’s just blacks would be dumb too because California for instance has a lot of republicans in rural districts.  The only reason not to eliminate both gerrymandering and the electoral college is because doing so would cause the government to better represent the country and there’s a group of people (on the left and right but mostly the right) who don’t want that.  

You want to hear something fucked up about the EC? Hypothetically a candidate could get 50.00001% of the vote in the 11 most populous states and then lose the remaining 39 states 99.999 to 0.001 and they could win the election... Popular vote wise you would end up with like 30 some percent of the vote and win...small state representation amirite?

Hypothetically, if the Presidency was based on just the popular vote, you could win 99.99999% of the vote in the top 27 metro areas, and win only 0.00000001 of the vote in the other 357 metro areas, plus all the rural/non-metro areas, and still win the election. Now, you might say "Majority rules", but then you're talking about 93% of the cities having no voice. Of course, both of our examples are extreme hypotheticals that are completely unrealistic to ever happen.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 6354
Join date : 2014-04-16
Location : Miami, FL

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by Travis of the Cosmos on 2020-07-03, 14:20

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Rocinante wrote:I don’t know how you could not think that the electoral college neuters the black vote. Or any minority vote. It takes a complex political landscape and diminishes it to winner take all in most states. And to say it’s just blacks would be dumb too because California for instance has a lot of republicans in rural districts. The only reason not to eliminate both gerrymandering and the electoral college is because doing so would cause the government to better represent the country and there’s a group of people (on the left and right but mostly the right) who don’t want that.


Yeah, but minority groups (ethnic, political, social, or whatever) are "neutered" in any election, even the local dog catcher. That's pretty much how a democratic system works. But going back to my issue in the article, it's that they were saying that the electoral system dilutes the black vote because in states with the highest amount of blacks, the electoral votes of that state doesn't go to who they want. But that's only because of the current political climate in various states, not the electoral college itself.

I am in favor of the electoral college, because of the vast differences in social, economic, and demographic makeup around the country, and I believe in the balance of power between the states and federal government. But I would also be in favor of altering it, to allow the electoral votes in each state to be split, where maybe each region or congressional district gets 1 electoral vote. I know that still brings potential gerrymandering into it, but that would have to be figured out appropriately (it's not like what I'm suggesting is happening tomorrow anyway).

Potential gerrymandering? You damn well skippy should know that.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Posts : 22411
Join date : 2014-04-15
Age : 36
Location : Please cease horny posting

Back to top Go down

The 2020 Presidential campaign. - Page 16 Empty Re: The 2020 Presidential campaign.

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum