Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coronavirus?? We gone?

Page 15 of 22 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18 ... 22  Next

Go down

Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 15 Empty Re: Coronavirus?? We gone?

Post by Izzo Court on 2020-07-16, 17:43

T-Cell immunity is looking like it's going to be a game changer with Covid. Where it was assumed we would need around 60% of the population with antibodies to reach herd immunity, we might only need 20% when T-Cell immunity is factored in.

T-Cell immunity is also why kids are largely asymptomatic and experience mild symptoms at worst. Research out of Germany found that they rarely spread Covid even to teachers or their parents.

Information like this, combined with the fact that doctors are seeing Covid weaken as they're not seeing the amount of severe infections they did early on, should give people some hope that maybe this will be over sooner rather than later.

https://www.conservativereview.com/news/horowitz-new-study-shows-17-years-potential-t-cell-immunity-sars-infected-patients/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/13/german-study-covid-19-infection-rate-schools-saxony
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2020-07-16, 18:28

Izzo Court wrote:T-Cell immunity is looking like it's going to be a game changer with Covid. Where it was assumed we would need around 60% of the population with antibodies to reach herd immunity, we might only need 20% when T-Cell immunity is factored in.

T-Cell immunity is also why kids are largely asymptomatic and experience mild symptoms at worst. Research out of Germany found that they rarely spread Covid even to teachers or their parents.

Information like this, combined with the fact that doctors are seeing Covid weaken as they're not seeing the amount of severe infections they did early on, should give people some hope that maybe this will be over sooner rather than later.

https://www.conservativereview.com/news/horowitz-new-study-shows-17-years-potential-t-cell-immunity-sars-infected-patients/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/13/german-study-covid-19-infection-rate-schools-saxony
color me skeptical, but I'm not inspired by some mainstream media article from the "Conservative Review" about anything that has to do with science and the sanctity of life.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2020-07-16, 18:31

duffy munn wrote:

Good people. Greg and Deana I mean.
agree.. and while you didn't need to, I totally get why you felt the need to differentiate Greg and Deana from the MAGA ilk. Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 15 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MSU addict on 2020-07-16, 19:03

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Izzo Court wrote:T-Cell immunity is looking like it's going to be a game changer with Covid.  Where it was assumed we would need around 60% of the population with antibodies to reach herd immunity, we might only need 20% when T-Cell immunity is factored in.

T-Cell immunity is also why kids are largely asymptomatic and experience mild symptoms at worst.  Research out of Germany found that they rarely spread Covid even to teachers or their parents.  

color me skeptical, but I'm not inspired by some mainstream media article from the "Conservative Review" about anything that has to do with science and the sanctity of life.
Now Bob, you know you are reading a science based article when it starts with:
God has a way of prepping the human body for potentially deadly viruses to somewhat mitigate the amount of death we’d otherwise suffer every year from all sorts of microbiological threats. COVID-19 is not different.
FWIW, The Guardian is not conservative.
MSU addict
MSU addict
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2020-07-16, 19:53

$600 week benefits are over, eviction crisis is looming...act 2 of our national shit show is about to begin.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court on 2020-07-16, 20:11

steveschneider wrote:$600 week benefits are over, eviction crisis is looming...act 2 of our national shit show is about to begin.

This is true. Realtors I have talked to are convinced were less than 2 months away from a housing crash.
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2020-07-16, 20:14

Izzo Court wrote:
steveschneider wrote:$600 week benefits are over, eviction crisis is looming...act 2 of our national shit show is about to begin.

This is true. Realtors I have talked to are convinced were less than 2 months away from a housing crash.

Was talking to a client. A lot of companies are drawing up 2021 budgets and people are shitting their pants. A lot of smaller businesses are going to have to merge or fold. It’s a shit show. If we actually had testing, Poe for the general public and a population that didn’t reject science and experts we could avoid this.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court on 2020-07-16, 20:15

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Izzo Court wrote:T-Cell immunity is looking like it's going to be a game changer with Covid. Where it was assumed we would need around 60% of the population with antibodies to reach herd immunity, we might only need 20% when T-Cell immunity is factored in.

You're right, I knew the source would crush it's credibility. I only used that link because it gives a concise explanation of what the T-Cell immunity means. That article pulls the information from multiple research papers I've been reading over the last several weeks and condensed it into one easy to read source. Dont believe me, do your own research. , but it's crazy none of the major media has picked up on this, and only one right wing source has mentioned it.
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2020-07-16, 21:09

Izzo Court wrote:Research out of Germany found that they rarely spread Covid even to teachers or their parents.

IC, I'm not attacking you or your sources. However, the evidence regarding young children spreading the virus in school settings across the globe is mixed, at best. There have been outbreaks at schools in Canada, Israel and Australia among other places that are contradictory to some of the findings from Germany, Denmark, etc. There is a lot unknown still, and we are basically out of time to learn more before decisions need to be made.

And as we know, other countries around the globe operate under much different societal norms than we do here where our freedumb to be 'Merican and selfish is so valued by some.

Here's a decent article from a week ago citing some of what we've seen from various other countries. And again, as I've said elsewhere, the biggest concern to me is not whether they can put policies or procedures in place to mitigate a lot of risks (I firmly believe that they can). It's this:

What should schools do when someone tests positive?
The short answer: No one knows.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/07/school-openings-across-globe-suggest-ways-keep-coronavirus-bay-despite-outbreaks
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Izzo Court likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2020-07-16, 22:17

To add to what WBH said, there have been lots of outbreaks at camps in the US, as well.

Also, a study in Germany, who managed the virus fairly well to begin with, and has since squashed it very well (the first Western country to start pro-sports as far back as mid-May) is completely irrelevant to the US situation over the next 4-6 weeks. The study is also based on antibodies. Kids weren't in school since mid-March. So I dont know how that is a conclusive study about kids spreading it (or not) to teachers.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn on 2020-07-16, 22:42

Izzo Court wrote:

I don't know about this. Interest rates remain historically low and inventory is also low. Sellers are currently killing it ( multiple offers above list within days, sometimes hours of being on the market). Buyers are abundant and qualified. I highly doubt this does a 180 in 60 days. The only thing to be concerned about is homes being overvalued. There may be a slight correction but not a crash.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2020-07-16, 23:23

Lansing apparently going 100% virtual for fall. God dammit. This sucks but probably inevitable that dominoes begin falling.

https://www.wilx.com/2020/07/17/lansing-school-district-plans-to-begin-school-year-with-virtual-learning/
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron on 2020-07-17, 00:09

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Lansing apparently going 100% virtual for fall. God dammit. This sucks but probably inevitable that dominoes begin falling.

https://www.wilx.com/2020/07/17/lansing-school-district-plans-to-begin-school-year-with-virtual-learning/

One of my friends is a teacher in the Lansing district, and he's relieved. He was sure he was gonna get sick being around a bunch of high schoolers who don't take social distancing seriously. Not sure I blame him, I wouldn't be enthusiastic about entrusting my health to the responsibility of teenagers either.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2020-07-17, 00:48

Cameron wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Lansing apparently going 100% virtual for fall. God dammit. This sucks but probably inevitable that dominoes begin falling.

One of my friends is a teacher in the Lansing district, and he's relieved. He was sure he was gonna get sick being around a bunch of high schoolers who don't take social distancing seriously. Not sure I blame him, I wouldn't be enthusiastic about entrusting my health to the responsibility of teenagers either.

Yeah Cam, I agree. I can see how it's going to work from either side of the coin - kids or teachers.

Anyone have any recs for reasonably priced laptops that can run office and zoom and are reasonably fast?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser on 2020-07-17, 01:28

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Yeah Cam, I agree. I can see how it's going to work from either side of the coin - kids or teachers.

Anyone have any recs for reasonably priced laptops that can run office and zoom and are reasonably fast?

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07TWHYTSQ/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

WhiteBoyHatcher likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2020-07-17, 05:31

MSU addict wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Now Bob, you know you are reading a science based article when it starts with:
God has a way of prepping the human body for potentially deadly viruses to somewhat mitigate the amount of death we’d otherwise suffer every year from all sorts of microbiological threats. COVID-19 is not different.
FWIW, The Guardian is not conservative.
Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 15 502811600

Enjoy it.. and pray for me.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider on 2020-07-17, 07:11

duffy munn wrote:
Izzo Court wrote:

I don't know about this. Interest rates remain historically low and inventory is also low. Sellers are currently killing it ( multiple offers above list within days, sometimes hours of being on the market). Buyers are abundant and qualified. I highly doubt this does a 180 in 60 days. The only thing to be concerned about is homes being overvalued. There may be a slight correction but not a crash.

Yeah, our local real estate market is on fire. Everyone is leaving the city and snatching up houses driving up home values. I don’t see that ending or the stock market crashing anytime soon. I think the real pain is going to be felt by lower income people. I was talking to a friend in the film industry and production is just decimated right now. I talked to a friend that owns a restaurant and their business is good because of to go orders and curbside but a good chunk of their staff their jobs are gone. States are hurting for money as well and probably going to see a big cut in programs and services before too long.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court on 2020-07-17, 10:02

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
Izzo Court wrote:Research out of Germany found that they rarely spread Covid even to teachers or their parents.  

IC, I'm not attacking you or your sources. However, the evidence regarding young children spreading the virus in school settings across the globe is mixed, at best. There have been outbreaks at schools in Canada, Israel and Australia among other places that are contradictory to some of the findings from Germany, Denmark, etc. There is a lot unknown still, and we are basically out of time to learn more before decisions need to be made.

And as we know, other countries around the globe operate under much different societal norms than we do here where our freedumb to be 'Merican and selfish is so valued by some.

Here's a decent article from a week ago citing some of what we've seen from various other countries. And again, as I've said elsewhere, the biggest concern to me is not whether they can put policies or procedures in place to mitigate a lot of risks (I firmly believe that they can). It's this:

What should schools do when someone tests positive?
The short answer: No one knows.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/07/school-openings-across-globe-suggest-ways-keep-coronavirus-bay-despite-outbreaks

That's a great article!  The kids that need face to face learning the most are those that are most immune to Covid and least likely to spread it.  Elementary teachers also tend to be younger on average which reduces their risk of severe infection.  It would seem logical that elementary schools would be the first to open normally with precautions, but give parents the ability to choose all online, a hybrid scenario, or full time.  Giving parents options would greatly reduce class sizes, and admittedly be a huge pain for teachers, but it would also give parents some feeling of control over the level of risk they're comfortable with.  Obviously, older kids are better at being able to accommodate online learning, so depending on the grade level you would see less in class instruction.  The idea that you would paint an entire school district with a broad brush like Lansing is doing is a plan based on more fear and less data.
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags on 2020-07-17, 11:03

Well my 20 year old works at a day care in the summer. They just had a kid with it. She was not in his room but has to get a test at 5:15. I’m a bit nervous. Hope you all are correct about the kiddies not spreading it to adults.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2020-07-17, 11:06

I disagree with giving the parents the choice. That's just more passing the buck to someone further down the line so that those above them don't have to take direct responsibility.

If parents choose to keep their kids home, then the kids that do go to school get better teaching, better social interaction, etc. Making parents choose between the safety of their child and falling behind socially and academically is an absolutely horrible position to put parents in.

Parents still have the choice of home schooling or k-12.com if they disagree with their school's decision.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2020-07-17, 11:08

MiamiSpartan wrote:I disagree with giving the parents the choice. That's just more passing the buck to someone further down the line so that those above them don't have to take direct responsibility.

If parents choose to keep their kids home, then the kids that do go to school get better teaching, better social interaction, etc. Making parents choose between the safety of their child and falling behind socially and academically is an absolutely horrible position to put parents in.

No need to beat around the bush; we all get what you’re trying to avoid saying: Steve was homeschooled.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2020-07-17, 11:37

Good luck Dwags.

Miami, I disagree, I like giving them a choice.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2020-07-17, 13:12

I'm ok if a district let's the parents vote on it to decide, but not decide individually. I just think the same situation should apply for everyone in a district. It pressures parents to let their kids go or get left behind their peers, which isn't what a decision like this should be based on.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2020-07-17, 13:51

DWags wrote:Well my 20 year old works at a day care in the summer. They just had a kid with it. She was not in his room but has to get a test at 5:15. I’m a bit nervous. Hope you all are correct about the kiddies not spreading it to adults.
keep us posted.

our daughter was tested a few weeks ago. Came back negative but the whole experience kinda sucked, according to her.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2020-07-17, 15:14

Our district just sent out a communication with options: FT in person, or FT online.

Subject to change, which it will have in 5 weeks when it matters.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2020-07-17, 15:15

My wife is going to start getting tested on a regular basis. Scary thing is, it will take 5-7 days to get the results back. She's a nurse and working during that time. Granted with the new equipment she just got, I told her to breathe heavy to sound like Darth Vader. She should be protected and have enough PPE on that she wouldn't spread it in the hospital. Why it takes 5-7 days...oh yea, we live in FL and this is all a hoax, so no reason to be prepared.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante on 2020-07-17, 15:18

InTenSity wrote:My wife is going to start getting tested on a regular basis. Scary thing is, it will take 5-7 days to get the results back. She's a nurse and working during that time. Granted with the new equipment she just got, I told her to breathe heavy to sound like Darth Vader. She should be protected and have enough PPE on that she wouldn't spread it in the hospital. Why it takes 5-7 days...oh yea, we live in FL and this is all a hoax, so no reason to be prepared.

It takes that long in WY too. And we have relatively few cases, so I don’t know what the deal is. You should be able to get results in 24 hours.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2020-07-17, 15:22

Rocinante wrote:
InTenSity wrote:My wife is going to start getting tested on a regular basis. Scary thing is, it will take 5-7 days to get the results back. She's a nurse and working during that time. Granted with the new equipment she just got, I told her to breathe heavy to sound like Darth Vader. She should be protected and have enough PPE on that she wouldn't spread it in the hospital. Why it takes 5-7 days...oh yea, we live in FL and this is all a hoax, so no reason to be prepared.

It takes that long in WY too. And we have relatively few cases, so I don’t know what the deal is. You should be able to get results in 24 hours.
They've run out of those tests. I think at the beginning they had tests that could tell you in 15-30 minutes.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm on 2020-07-17, 17:01

Saw some idiot in instagram trying to sell t-shirts emblazoned with "Fuck Your Mask". There's nothing like advertising your low level of intelligence.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2020-07-17, 19:46

it's mind-boggling how stupid this country is... and how the stupid people celebrate it. As if life doesn't matter.

Thoughts with you, your wife and your family, dude. Keep us posted.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher on 2020-07-20, 12:38

The Oxford vaccine trials have very promising results, best so far.

We're gonna be last on the list to get them aren't we? As has been memed elsewhere, we are the Florida of the world.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2020-07-20, 13:21

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:The Oxford vaccine trials have very promising results, best so far.

We're gonna be last on the list to get them aren't we? As has been memed elsewhere, we are the Florida of the world.
I don't know, but we should be.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! on 2020-07-20, 13:21

I was gonna say. I got tested last week and it took 2 days for results.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity on 2020-07-20, 14:06

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

They ended up telling her yesterday she's negative. So that's good news and it didn't take the 5-7 days either, only 2 days. I think she's going to be tested every other week. I'm not sure.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2020-07-20, 14:37

Mexico and Canada aren't allowing Americans to enter. Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 15 502811600 Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 15 502811600

good for them. Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 15 969504605
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron on 2020-07-20, 14:54

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Mexico and Canada aren't allowing Americans to enter. Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 15 502811600 Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 15 502811600

Maybe Mexico will pay for the wall after all.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano on 2020-07-20, 15:21

Cameron wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:Mexico and Canada aren't allowing Americans to enter. Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 15 502811600 Coronavirus?? We gone?   - Page 15 502811600

Maybe Mexico will pay for the wall after all.
might be a good investment to keep us out.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2020-07-20, 18:26

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:The Oxford vaccine trials have very promising results, best so far.

What is the difference (in terms of progress/success so far) between Oxford'd and Moderna's? Did Ibhear both are entering Phase 3, or is Oxford already there.

And if you think it's bad being the Florida of the World, imagine being the Florida of the Florida of the World.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan on 2020-07-20, 18:27

InTenSity wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

They ended up telling her yesterday she's negative. So that's good news and it didn't take the 5-7 days either, only 2 days. I think she's going to be tested every other week. I'm not sure.

Good to hear, and hope they keep coming back negative.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay on 2020-07-20, 18:43

MiamiSpartan wrote:

What is the difference (in terms of progress/success so far) between Oxford'd and Moderna's? Did Ibhear both are entering Phase 3, or is Oxford already there.

And if you think it's bad being the Florida of the World, imagine being the Florida of the Florida of the World.

The stock forecast.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 22 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18 ... 22  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum